Your views on file sharing and piracy

jasignhagj

Haha I love the people in this thread that write ridiculously long posts justifying their pirating. Why can't people just admit that they do it because it's free? I guarantee you that's why 99% of people pirate things.

I'm almost certain you can find a torrent of the short-lived series "Cavemen" on the Internet, and I'm almost certain that no one in their right (or wrong) mind would have that series. It freaking sucked.

People don't pirate because it's free. They pirate because they happen to like what they're downloading. Don't let the price tag fool you.

If they liked it that much, then they'd pay for it, correct?

The fact that you're getting it for free plays a big part in piracy.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier, I think labels need to adapt to the changing world of media-exchange, but that's not my reason for pirating.

I pirate something because either I wouldn't pay for it normally, or I can't afford it.

For example, the game prototype is like 60 dollars, for maybe 5,6 or up to 10 hours of game play. I pirated that. The game call of duty 4 though, I've played a few hundred hours on multiplayer, and I bought it just for multiplayer.

Then there's music. My usual rule with torrenting music is this: I atleast buy one or two albums from an artist if I'm gonna pirate their discography. Does it make my pirating ok? Not necessarily, but it helps out the artist. Or, if I have the option, I donate directly to them on their site or something, so it doesn't feed the label.

For movies, I almost always pirate something. I usually watch it in theater anyway, but I don't want to spend 10 or 20 dollars on something I'm only gonna watch once.

That's pretty much what I do. I think pirating is a lesser evil than it's made out to be, but I think if everyone pirated everything, the business would collapse.

EDIT: For music, also, if I got to an exorbitantly expensive concert, I usually can justify downloading some of their songs. I mean, I could see green day for 60 bucks, or I could see sick puppies for 15 (I've done both). They both put as much work into a show, but one costs 4 times more.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

You piece of [cabbage]. "Get mine"? Ha.

Yup, get mine. If I goto a party and your Ipod is playing and you leave it un-attended, best hope I don't see it. Same with cell phones, don't leave your stuff lying around. It makes no difference to me if people don't like it, I don't expect to be praised for being a theif. You can insult me all you want, I have all the friends I need to make a human wall so people can't see me stealing your purse.

I think what Makoto meant was that being free isn't the only thing that causes people to want to pirate, which is what Dusty was implying.

Yup, get mine. If I goto a party and your Ipod is playing and you leave it un-attended, best hope I don't see it. Same with cell phones, don't leave your stuff lying around. It makes no difference to me if people don't like it, I don't expect to be praised for being a theif. You can insult me all you want, I have all the friends I need to make a human wall so people can't see me stealing your purse.

What did you achieve by trying to make all of TIF hate you? Seriously now.

I'd guarantee that if someone stole some of your stuff, you'd be [bleep]ing pissed. Maybe if you actually worked for yourself, you wouldn't have to be a complete douchebag.

I don't really care if someone steals from say, wal mart, but stealing from people is just weak.

You were complaining we were hurting your feelings before, I think? [bleep] you.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Lol. "My e-penis is over 9000 inches n00b!"

That's how I read your post. Grow up [bleep] troll.

Haha I love the people in this thread that write ridiculously long posts justifying their pirating. Why can't people just admit that they do it because it's free? I guarantee you that's why 99% of people pirate things.

I'm almost certain you can find a torrent of the short-lived series "Cavemen" on the Internet, and I'm almost certain that no one in their right (or wrong) mind would have that series. It freaking sucked.

People don't pirate because it's free. They pirate because they happen to like what they're downloading. Don't let the price tag fool you.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you steal from your "friends" too? Not that you deserve any.

With the pirate bay coming to a close, i wanted to know, what are your views on file sharing and piracy.

i personally download tons of music (legal in canada, :D)

Unfortunately, this is legal in Canada, which is ludicrous. However, in accordance with the Copyright Act, it is illegal to UPLOAD copyrighted music, which I believe LimeWire does automatically with your music library. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here, this is faulty information.)

some movies, mostly ones im not allowed to watch normally,

Do you know how much work goes into making a movie?

and only older games i cant find in the stores (sim golf, Risk II, Starwars GB, etc)

I feel that for music, big bands and singers can make enough money off concerts, and most of the money from CD sales goes to the RIAA anyway.

So if I decide that ElectronicArts can make enough money from basketball games, I'm free to infringe upon the other games? No...

[English translation needed]

By default, Limewire does upload everything you download.

But not if you disable it.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

I'd guarantee that if someone stole some of your stuff, you'd be [bleep] pissed. Maybe if you actually worked for yourself, you wouldn't have to be a complete douchebag.

I don't really care if someone steals from say, wal mart, but stealing from people is just weak.

You were complaining we were hurting your feelings before, I think? [bleep] you.

I'm honestly in tears right now. I don't want everyone to hate me, but I'm not going to sit here and lie to you. I could be fake and say, "Aw broseph that's lame man stealing is wrong!". But Im telling you the way I actually feel, yes I WOULD be pissed if someone stole from me, but they say the only way to gain a con's respect is to con him. I don't get things stolen from me because I don't buy expensive electronics that I don't need, I help pay my bills. Not to mention I don't trust the public and leave my things lying around. As for everyone hating me, like I said, I have too many friends as it is, I don't need internet people thinking I'm cool. And to answer another question, no, I don't steal from friends, because they're my friends. As far as trolling? I don't care what people on the internet think, I got attacked with insults, I havn't been insulting people have I? Yeah I called 1 person a moron because he personally attacked me, other than that I've expressed my honest opinions, if you think that's trolling well then give me the title, I'm a troll. If thinking this way makes me a bad person, then I'm a bad person. I'd rather be a bad person with money that people like than a good person who's broke and everyone hates because he's always buming things. Other than being a thief I'm actually a really nice person, but I supose no one here would dare believe that ::' .

But seriously guys, you're hurting my feelings, don't cuss at me so much.

Maybe you should think about what people are saying then, and change some things you do.

I think in the long run, your life will be better if you don't do things like that. I can understand stealing bread if you can't afford food, or some other mindless cliche like that, but stealing people's ipods or whatever just isn't necessary, it messes up their lives, and it's just wrong.

When I was younger, I got a cd player (this was before mp3's were popular) for my birthday, and I had wanted one for a long time. It ended up being stolen because I had left it on a table when I went to the bathroom. That honestly made me really sad. I mean sure, it wasn't the end of the world, but it just made me feel crappy for a good while.

EDIT: I know half of what I said is a giant cliche, but whatever.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Maybe you should think about what people are saying then, and change some things you do.

I think in the long run, your life will be better if you don't do things like that. I can understand stealing bread if you can't afford food, or some other mindless cliche like that, but stealing people's ipods or whatever just isn't necessary, it messes up their lives, and it's just wrong.

When I was younger, I got a cd player (this was before mp3's were popular) for my birthday, and I had wanted one for a long time. It ended up being stolen because I had left it on a table when I went to the bathroom. That honestly made me really sad. I mean sure, it wasn't the end of the world, but it just made me feel crappy for a good while.

EDIT: I know half of what I said is a giant cliche, but whatever.

I wish there was just a better way for me to convey the situations in which this is happening. I go to these parties, nothing but choches(Jocks who might as well have Polo's graphed to their skin) and all I do is get mean-mugged(dirty looks) because I don't look like a typical Alabama fan. I have my friends their, typicly the cooler more normal and even sometimes artsy crowd. Well it's always just us taking dirty looks and off comments from these [wagon] holes who can't stand people looking different. I will admit I've probobly stolen things from people who didn't deserve, and I'm not even saying these choches deserve it. But for the most part these douches are on a free ride, daddy got them into the frat, daddy pays for school, daddy gives them an allowance to buy beer and weed with. When I take their things, I know the only trouble it is to them is a trip back to Best-Buy. Though I guess none of this justifies theiving, it certainly helps me not care. But like I said, I'm sure I've stolen from many people who didn't deserve it, but life isn't ever fair.

Eh, it'll probably catch up to you eventually. Go steal from wal mart if you have to steal. Or some store like that. Half the time employees wouldn't even care.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Eh, it'll probably catch up to you eventually. Go steal from wal mart if you have to steal. Or some store like that. Half the time employees wouldn't even care.

Bull-[cabbage]. If one of the detectors go off, the people standing at the front will automatically treat you like you are a criminal.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Bull-[cabbage]. If one of the detectors go off, the people standing at the front will automatically treat you like you are a criminal.

They aren't exactly that hard to get around you know....

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

As for everyone hating me, like I said, I have too many friends as it is, I don't need internet people thinking I'm cool.

Okay, you don't care about us thinking you're cool. That's nice, but not what I was getting at. You said you'd steal our stuff if we ever came across you and that you have a wall of friends. I don't know, but to me that's just screaming, "Hate me! Hate me! I feed off your hate and convert it into pure energy!". Which is why I asked what motivated you to do that.

Oh and there is a difference between stealing from those jocks you hate and stealing from any random person, such as a TIFer. If they did deserve it, fine. It still might be bad, but not nearly as bad as stealing from someone who's done nothing wrong to you - at least in my opinion since I'm a fan of eye for an eye.

They aren't exactly that hard to get around you know....

You guys act like TIFers all use the same Walmart.

...or do we? I saw a large group of rednecks trying to be a gang last time I went. Any similar experiences?

HELL no. The detectors at the mall go off on you whenever you have any merchandise from GameStop. If you have a GameStop bag the people just wave you on and go back to reading a magazine.

I used to shoplift little things, might do it again. Like the other guy, I don't want praise, I just do it. It's almost instinctive for me.

From what I heard employees at a place like wal-mart don't even have the right to go stop you if you just walk out and the detector beeps. It's sort of sad really.

Lol, this kid I know got caught stealing YuGiOh cards from Walmart. Banned for life. :lol:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

My brother used to work at target, and one of the employees there got arrested and successfully sued for tackling a shoplifter who was running away in the parking lot.

The shoplifter ended up getting a few thousand, and being fined for a few hundred.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

My brother used to work at target, and one of the employees there got arrested and successfully sued for tackling a shoplifter who was running away in the parking lot.

The shoplifter ended up getting a few thousand, and being fined for a few hundred.

I was at Target last week with my family, helping my sister get some supplies for college. Naturally, so was everyone else, and it was extremely crowded. I think maybe 20 people walked out of the store, setting off the detector, but without stopping at all. And I don't think anyone cared. :?

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

HELL no. The detectors at the mall go off on you whenever you have any merchandise from GameStop. If you have a GameStop bag the people just wave you on and go back to reading a magazine.

I used to shoplift little things, might do it again. Like the other guy, I don't want praise, I just do it. It's almost instinctive for me.

From what I heard employees at a place like wal-mart don't even have the right to go stop you if you just walk out and the detector beeps. It's sort of sad really.

They do, my friend used to steal Airsoft BB's by going to the bathroom and pouring them into a zip-lock, one time an employee was in the bathroom and he got stoped and they cornered him in the vending machine area. :shock: He got away though but he did get his shirt riped. :lol: