WoW cataclysm and RuneScape

Trey

Funorb isn't even a hit. JAGeX needs to advertise the new stuff on the RS home page to make people play them...

I even think there are still more people playing Warcraft 3 online than Funorb.

Here are the numbers you were guessing on:

Warcraft III: reign of chaos - player's daily -playing arranged games 4,000-7,000 - custom games(player made maps) 1,400- 5,000

warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - player's daily - playing arranged games 70,000-120,000 - custom games(player made maps) 30,000 - 70,000

I think a post somewhere in this thread asked for server costs. I did some calculations in another thread which should give a general area of how much it costs Jagex per year to run the servers.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=790988&p=6612493#p6612493

You realize the people playing on B.net is very small. DotA itself has like 7m+ people downloading it from getdota.com alone. The sheer amount of people who download it from places like epicwar or in LAN centers is even more. WC3 is probably one of the most successful games out there simply because of DotA so saying more people play it than RC is a terrible comparison. More people probably play WC3 and DotA than most other games.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Jagex. They are instead of working on Runescape going on a new game....

Correct me if i am wrong but didn't Jagex company have Runescape as game in beginning? If not it have becomed the main game...

Now Jagex is working on:

Mechscape - They say Runescape won't be affected but less focus>less updates so [bleep] that.

FunOrb - Fun games, but it's already known. So why are they still advertising Funorb games on Runescape mainsite?

Again, i think Runescape could get more updates. It's just a shame the game that they are working on that will be better functions than Runescape is called "Mechscape". That sounds horrible and I personally find technology into a game not a appeal.

Adventure, Fantasy, Bow and arrow, Sword and shield, Staff and spells....

etc..

What do i think of Runescape now?

I think it's a game with potential. It's been great to play it but it is sadly starting to feel less fun. Jagex focuses more on group A player more than group B.

Group A = PvP

Group B= Other

Combat is what's most fun, sadly we can't raise skill levels.

Runescape is a java based game. It will never compare to WoW.

Fix'd.

A browser base game can be like WoW, easily, but wont run super smooth.

All RuneScape needs is more variety than clicking all the damn time, a better combat system, a re-vamp and a possible movement from current history (eg. 10-20 years from now?)

@Sir,

There are 3 different teams in JaGEx.

RS

MS

FO

As you will notice, only some 'Mods' work for Funorb and some work for Runescape. Both take different skills, one in history, and storyline making, and another testing fun-ish games out, seeing if they're good etc. MS Idk.

But FO is run by JaGEx, so its obvious they will advertise it on RS and vice versa.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Again, i think Runescape could get more updates. It's just a shame the game that they are working on that will be better functions than Runescape is called "Mechscape". That sounds horrible and I personally find technology into a game not a appeal.

They have said that Mechscape is just a "codename" that they use for the project. As for the technology part...I don't know if I'll like it as much as medieval but you never know. Jagex has had alot of tricks up their sleeves and just may have a few left that make us go " :shock: That is Java?"

People complain about less new content this year but you also have to remember that this is an 'upgrade year'. I don't like that there is less content coming in, but sometimes you have to take a step back, fix the mistakes, then move 10 steps foreward.

, fix the mistakes,

I know I'll get flamed for this so I'll put my rebuttal in right away. Yes, Jagex releases buggy content but I see 2 major factors in this.

1) Jagex's code is so complex that even altering or adding one thing can drasticly change how other things interect. There are not many ways to test this short of hiring 1000 people to play every single aspect of the game before every update....

2)Players are the reason Jagex rushes content. Players demand MORE NOW! That is the problem with having a community made primarily made of teen aged boys...

Correct me if i am wrong but didn't Jagex company have Runescape as game in beginning? If not it have becomed the main game...

Wrong. Jagex had a bunch of mini-games in the beginning.

Mechscape - They say Runescape won't be affected but less focus>less updates so [bleep] that.

Mechscape has nothing to do with that. 100% separate teams working on each game, with different leads. Pay better attention.

FunOrb - Fun games, but it's already known. So why are they still advertising Funorb games on Runescape mainsite?

FunOrb can always use some more advertising.

All of Mechscape's improvements to the engine will come back to Runescape eventually, as seen in today's Diary, including sky boxes, particle effects, blooom, etc.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If those people weren't working on Mechscape would they be working on Runescape? If you, like me, think yes, then it is having an effect on Runescape because we don't have as many people developing the game.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Jagex should do a huge and drastic update like this. Maybe just update the in-game's current events, like assassinate a few leaders or throw in a few random armies/enemies, re-work skills even if people whine (they're going to whine no matter what), and change the landscape.

That kind of stuff has to wait until 2010 when they're done with their upgrayedds.

Wrong. Jagex had a bunch of mini-games in the beginning.

Mechscape has nothing to do with that. 100% separate teams working on each game, with different leads. Pay better attention.

FunOrb can always use some more advertising.

All of Mechscape's improvements to the engine will come back to Runescape eventually, as seen in today's Diary, including sky boxes, particle effects, blooom, etc.

1. OK.

2. I know Mecscape have different team...don't tell me to pay better attention you troller. I am just thinking that because they have divided into:

Runescape Team

Mechscape Team

That maybe the -Mechscape could lead to +Runescape>Better updates for Runescape (Content and less bugs).

3. Fun orb can always need more advertising? How about do it somewhere else? Runescape mainsite should be Runescape only. It's sad to see Fun orb. If they update Fun orb games, i say they should add all other games they have developed into Runescape mainsite.

I mean if you do it with 1 game, why not do it with others? That way you can get most out of advertisement and still be annoying. Not that i want that but hey why just 1 game..

Fun orb have good games i bet, but honestly i find it a load of crap to see Fun orb in Runescape news updates. They could put it at left side of site though.

4. That's true that the stuff used for Mechscape can later be used on Runescape. But what if they took out Mechscape and focus primary on Runescape...

That would be much better. But hey it's their choice and i can't do anything about it. But the "We got seperate teams" is less updates.

50% >>Mechscape

50% >>Runescape

Would be nicer:

100% >>Runescape.

They have to put Funorb on the RS site or else no one would know about it and it was be totally overlooked.

Like it should be, but that's just my opinion. :geek:

They have to put Funorb on the RS site or else no one would know about it and it was be totally overlooked.

Funorb has its own devoted area on the runescape website. It is actually listed as a "website feature" of runescape.co (on the left had side of the website, under the kb and online shop and such). they are currently advertising armies of Gielinor.

We also have the "funorb digest" as our featured recent news post. our recent RUNESCAPE news. Which is not only sad but against Jagexs initial word. They claimed a while back that they would only advertise on runescape one time to get the ball rolling. They have not stopped advertising since.

4e0Vn.png

Funorb has its own devoted area on the runescape website. It is actually listed as a "website feature" of runescape.co (on the left had side of the website, under the kb and online shop and such). they are currently advertising armies of Gielinor.

We also have the "funorb digest" as our featured recent news post. our recent RUNESCAPE news. Which is not only sad but against Jagexs initial word. They claimed a while back that they would only advertise on runescape one time to get the ball rolling. They have not stopped advertising since.

Yeah i remembered that.

Runescape mainsite is a free way to advertise Funorb for Jagex. So instead of doing right choice:

1) Pay and advertise other ways

They go and do:

2) Use Runescape (That's cool for few months, but it's been many now and a Funorb update gets it's big news post on mainsite)

Yeah i remembered that.

Runescape mainsite is a free way to advertise Funorb for Jagex. So instead of doing right choice:

1) Pay and advertise other ways

They go and do:

2) Use Runescape (That's cool for few months, but it's been many now and a Funorb update gets it's big news post on mainsite)

It's really just a side project anyway. They don't want to admit that it's simply not that popular.

2. I know Mecscape have different team...don't tell me to pay better attention you troller. I am just thinking that because they have divided into:

Runescape Team

Mechscape Team

That maybe the -Mechscape could lead to +Runescape>Better updates for Runescape (Content and less bugs).

Again, pay attention. It's resources Runescape would have never had, so putting them on Mechscape or FunOrb doesn't make a difference.

3. Fun orb can always need more advertising? How about do it somewhere else? Runescape mainsite should be Runescape only. It's sad to see Fun orb. If they update Fun orb games, i say they should add all other games they have developed into Runescape mainsite.

I love it when people use the "___ should be" or "___ shouldn't be". It's not up to you to decide that, it's not your product, it's not your business.

I mean if you do it with 1 game, why not do it with others? That way you can get most out of advertisement and still be annoying. Not that i want that but hey why just 1 game..

That's because FunOrb already has a constant reminder of Runescape; it's called Armies of Gielinor. When Jagex puts an entire mini-game in Runescape based around FunOrb, then you can complain about fairness.

4. That's true that the stuff used for Mechscape can later be used on Runescape. But what if they took out Mechscape and focus primary on Runescape...

My guess is that they'd be making less money than if Mechscape were to launch, so both projects would be developed slower.

That would be much better. But hey it's their choice and i can't do anything about it. But the "We got seperate teams" is less updates.

No. Wrong again, that's not how it works. If the project for Mechscape had never started, the team working on it would have never been hired.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

50% >>Mechscape

50% >>Runescape

Would be nicer:

100% >>Runescape.

Your logic is biased and faulty.

What are are proposing is this:

Because you like the Mc'donalds Hambuger more than anyting else they sell, you are proposing they should make nothing else besides a Hamburger because thats what YOU and some other people enjoy most. However this is not logical for a company to work that way. They want to appeal to alot of different audiences. It dosent matter if only 20 people like the chicken nugets (fun orb) or Big Macs (mechscape). Jagex wants to appeal to everyone by providing variety, despite the fact you only enjoy hamburgers (runescape).

So again your concept of what is more imporant is biased because YOU enjoy that one game more. The majority does, but that's not to say everyone does.

I was actually intoduced to runescape from an online game which was dropped by Microsoft's "Zone" network. It was a couple years and they just quit supporting it. The same is going to happen to Runescape eventually, regardless if you want it to or not. It's just the nature of all online games.

So ya, Runescape is likley to be updated slighly less than it used to be, but complaining about it is like whining your fast food restaurant should just make one type of food. It's just not going to happen. Sit back and enjoy the ride while we still have one. And to be perfectly honest, if you can't enjoy it, I suggest you look for another game out there.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Omali, I've read quite a bit of their stuff when they've talked about Mechscape and I never remember them saying they hired a team specifically for Mechscape. I do remember them saying a few team members went from RS to Mechscape.

At the very least, you know some of the better employees at Jagex were moved to Mecscape because of how good they are. Now i know it would noyl be a little, but this doesn't affect RS, even if slightly. The statement that the dvelopment of Mechscape doesn't affect Runescape, for better ot worse, in some way is just ignorant.

Omali, I've read quite a bit of their stuff when they've talked about Mechscape and I never remember them saying they hired a team specifically for Mechscape. I do remember them saying a few team members went from RS to Mechscape.

The official response from Jagex to "Will Mechscape slow down Runescape development" is that Mechscape has an entirely different team that was hired specifically for the task. A completely new team was brought in for FunOrb as well.

At the very least, you know some of the better employees at Jagex were moved to Mecscape because of how good they are. Now i know it would noyl be a little, but this doesn't affect RS, even if slightly. The statement that the dvelopment of Mechscape doesn't affect Runescape, for better ot worse, in some way is just ignorant.

Mechscape has had an effect on Runescape, but not the negative one people keep throwing forward. Henrique, head of Mechscape, has talked several times in the past about how advancements in the Mechscape version of Jagex's engine would eventually make their way back to Runescape. The development diary Jagex put out, about skyboxes, particle effects, bloom, etc; those are all advancements that were made during the development of Mechscape, and those of us who have been following Mechscape have known that these would be coming to Runescape for quite a good amount of time now.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Jagex has a finite amount of money. Any money that they use to develop Mechscape can be seen as money that could have been used for Runescape.

Either Jagex has tons of money left over from hosting and developing Runescape that they didn't pour back into the game, OR, they have started to take money normally used for Runescape to develop Mechscape.

Either way I find it quite foolish to think that Mechscape has ZERO impact on Runescape.

We've also gotten off topic so I don't know how much longer this thread will last.

4e0Vn.png

id like a raid type thing in rs, or bosses that take 20 ppl to kill (like 2x harder then cb)

Some pople might like it, but honestly that last thing I want more of is thing I have to do with other people. -.-