How Easy Do You Want It?

Erewhon2

I agree with the OP. There has become a point where RS has got a little too easy in some respects:

GE - Makes all buyable skills much easier to skill. Most of rarest capes in game are the ones you can't buy.

Armour/items - Was there really a need for Bandos/godswords? I didn't really understand this when we had things that were already adequate. Quicker kills? Why? Changing the combat system to be more tactical would be a better option.

Updates - Variety is a good thing but not when it does make the skill easier, giving faster xp. Your farming and agility points were spot on. I sometimes wonder if some updates are properly considered before they are done, and the reasoning behind them.

99 Skills - Nobody really gives a toss about capes like fletch and firemaking any more. The capes are devalued because in terms of time and cost, they are the fastest and cost effective to get. If you continue to make skills easier to do and get then it all gets devalued and nobody will hold these things in any regard. I just feel sorry for those like the farmers who got their capes before the noted items update.

Player attitude - Players whinge about skills taking too long. I don't really understand this as I always thought the game was supposed to have some sort of challenge. If a skill takes longer, such as Slayer, then in my mind it's better earned. 'Whats the fastest 99 skill' or 'I want a fast 99' tends to be comments I hear players say. Players don't realise that they devalue what they do for themselves. RS has a reputation for being a kids game, and I cannot dispute this. If we don't keep the game challenging enough then players leave for something thats a bit more stimulating. I'll probably incur the wrath of some players when I say that if they want updates/items that make it easier or faster it shows that they aren't really interested in the aspect of the game that should be most important - fun!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figures I would post this whole long thing on page 1 and have it get stuck on the bottom of the page where nobody reads it. -.-

I do understand what you are saying, but the only way to do this would be do give you numbered choices i.e. 'X' that would make things easier. Difficult to know when to stop with things like that.

Extra clicks aren't real difficulty. Seriously, they aren't. It's fake difficulty. You can make any easy thing hard by giving it crappy controls, but in doing so you ruin the gameplay. In the cases of things like string-x, they actually make the skill slower to train, not faster. So updates that make a skill slower to train are taking away the difficulty, and updates that make a skill faster to train are taking away the difficulty?

What I want to know is what you think makes a skill difficult in the first place.

Extra clicks aren't real difficulty. Seriously, they aren't. It's fake difficulty. You can make any easy thing hard by giving it crappy controls, but in doing so you ruin the gameplay. In the cases of things like string-x, they actually make the skill slower to train, not faster. So updates that make a skill slower to train are taking away the difficulty, and updates that make a skill faster to train are taking away the difficulty?

Lol....I'm reading it :) I think that you raise an interesting point, but I would refer you to jrhairychest's post, which I think clearly defines the difference you are querying. Not so much about the 'clicking' as buying skills, all the faster for achieving a 99, without any real merit.

I think this is reinforced by his statement "Was there really a need for Bandos/godswords?" these are now available making combat easier, rather than tactical improvements :thumbsup:

So maybe we should be considering the balance between length of time to achieve something versus the actual skill involved (if there is any). I agree about the variety, this should be used to enhance the experience and the gameplay, rather than make things easier.

35cq0q9.png

But there's the thing again. Godswords don't make combat easier. Bandos doesn't make combat easier. They aren't strict upgrades from Barrows and a whip. There are plenty of situations where I'd definitely use a Verac's Skirt over Bandos Tassets, for example, and godswords are almost exclusively spec weapons. The fact that new equipment isn't always better than old equipment means that, again, while the skill may become faster, it doesn't necessarily become easier.

If Bandos/Godswords don't make combat easier there would be no point and no-one would buy them, especially at those prices. While the whip may be faster the stats of a godsword are way above this. While you may be correct in terms of defensive stats of Veracs skirt to Tassets, the plates are loaded towards Bandos as better stats. With Bandos we hit a lot harder. Since the game isn't really that astute tactically it often comes down to strength, hence the most favoured 99 combat skill is strength. Sure a GS may be slower than a whip but it hits so hard that it easily compensates and the spec can be devastating. Its just 'ug! I club you smelly person until I win'.

My point is that very little thought goes into combat except to get those high powered weapons and armour, so more or less the one with the highest stats wins most of the time.

If Bandos/Godswords don't make combat easier there would be no point and no-one would buy them, especially at those prices. While the whip may be faster the stats of a godsword are way above this. While you may be correct in terms of defensive stats of Veracs skirt to Tassets, the plates are loaded towards Bandos as better stats. With Bandos we hit a lot harder. Since the game isn't really that astute tactically it often comes down to strength, hence the most favoured 99 combat skill is strength. Sure a GS may be slower than a whip but it hits so hard that it easily compensates and the spec can be devastating. Its just 'ug! I club you smelly person until I win'.

My point is that very little thought goes into combat except to get those high powered weapons and armour, so more or less the one with the highest stats wins most of the time.

Are you talking about skills or PvP? I was talking about skills. I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Whips easily beat godswords for training. And while the Bandos Chestplate is in most cases the best melee platebody, it's far from a landslide--with only +1 max hit, the difference in xp/hr is negligible compared to Barrows.

Either. If whips beat godswords for training then how come whenever I'm on slayer virtually every player who can afford one wields one (assignments requiring the shield slot for something else excepted)? Sure, whips are good for low level things if you're using on pretty low level slayer assignments.

In PVP wearing barrows and weilding a whip is a no contest against bandos and a GS (not you'd ever see this unless in duel arena). Players will buy this kit because they want life easier. My point being that the whip and barrows were powerful enough before the updates. What bothers me is that we will continuously get updates of newer more powerful armour and weapons, which doesn't do the game any good. It'll become so easy it'll just be boring.

A change in the combat system would to get players to think a little more about what they're doing rather than just wanting the highest

Either. If whips beat godswords for training then how come whenever I'm on slayer virtually every player who can afford one wields one (assignments requiring the shield slot for something else excepted)?

Well, frankly, they don't. I'm sure it's your imagination. It's a well-accepted fact that a whip + defender is the best training weapon. Not that that particular fact has a particularly important impact on this debate, because until slayer came around, we didn't have whips either, did we? Nor did we have defenders until the Warrior's Guild. This particular combat-related example ties into the discussion about the sort of high-level content that should be added into the game--as we all know, players frequently request new content for the higher-leveled, and the abyssal whip is an example of such both for slayers and (at the time) melee combat in general.

Just like in real life, where voters want lower taxes, more public services, and a smaller deficit all at once, there are competing demands in Runescape. Obviously there's a huge demand for high-level content. Players want high-level content that is worth using, because if it isn't better than what we already have, what's the point? "omg agile clothing is useless we dont need reduced weight at 99 agility i train my agility all this way and this is all i get!!! phail update jagex!!!" But they also rant and rave that their achievements are devalued whenever a new training method comes along. "wtf jagex i spent a bajillion years getting 99 agility!!! now you made it faster with adv courses omg this sux!!!"

I think a rational player just accepts that skills are going to get faster to train as new updates come around, and based on recent examples (Bandos throne room agility course, anyone?) Jagex is going to go to great lengths to keep things from getting out of hand.

Well then we agree to disagree. I don't think anyone forks out x amount of mills for a weapon they don't care to train with to gather dust in the bank, and the players using them were much higher than either than our combat levels. You didn't really deal with the point of this which is if we keep getting higher weapons and armour, where does it stop?

High level content is fine, but that doesn't necessarily make it better. You agility example is perfect as most of the high level stuff is just lap courses with very little variation. Ape atoll is :thumbdown: for the boredom factor. I trained agility in brimhaven. I could have used higher level courses but brimhaven proved much more fun and I met a lot of decent people there. The point of the musician agil update is it wasn't necessary. It just makes lazy players even lazier to not bother to train it, then moan their run depletes too quick. Saying that it makes my agility cape a little more exclusive than some capes I could mention so I mustn't grumble :D .The agile clothing wasn't even necessary. Any player who can actually get it knows already the run restores pretty quick, so that just gathers dust in my bank. The point was variety and fun, not speed.

If what you say is true about the game inevitably getting easier where do you stop? Do you want a game that takes no time at all to do? You want all skills to be viewed a as the firemaking or fletch capes? Combat to be some nonentity of a few hits and thats it? Any rational player would want to keep some form of challenge to the game, to think more about what they do and for things to actually mean something. Again, variety and not speed is the key unless you want the game for something lower than a 13+ market.

Then again the poster of this and I could be completely wrong. Perhaps I'm crediting players with too much intelligence for wanting more of a challenge and variety for the sake of speed and a game that demands so little thought.

[...] more of a challenge and variety for the sake of speed and a game that demands so little thought.

Variety = thought. The more variety, the more thought you need to train at peak efficiency. Rarely do we see large increases in speed that turn slow skills into fast skills--I can't think of any recent example. The most significant of them have only turned really slow skills into slightly-less-slow skills. (ZMI altar, advanced agility courses, Smoking Kills, heavy rod fishing.) When was the last time a slow skill suddenly became a fast skill? And for contrast, how often have new training methods not made the skill significantly faster?

Like I said, Jagex has actively avoided unbalancing the relative training speed of skills. If you look at Vinesweeper, the Runecrafting Guild, Soul Wars, Stealing Creation, the Pest Control update, the Bandos Throne Room, charms in the Dorgesh-Kaan chests, and so on, I think you'll see what I mean.

When was the last time a slow skill suddenly became a fast skill?

One of my points was weighing up 'slightlier easier over significantly easier', but not necessarily speedier. Although I have to say that noted crops make farming significantly easier, this will never be a fast skill due to the waiting times, so your point doesn't have any validity here. Having said that I also feel that Pyramid Plunder is an example that disputes your point about Jagex balancing skill development. Anyone on the 'fast track to a 99 thieving cape knows that PP will enable them to achieve this quickly and easily (if mind numbingly boring), and much faster than any other method.

You didn't really deal with the point of this which is if we keep getting higher weapons and armour, where does it stop?

This point is extremely pertinent and is one of my concerns, where does it stop? and as my original title for this thread says....."how easy do you want it?". I applaud those people who play the game the way they wish to for 'variety' and 'fun' rather than aggressive skill development =D>

35cq0q9.png

When was the last time a slow skill suddenly became a fast skill?

One of my points was weighing up 'slightlier easier over significantly easier', but not necessarily speedier. Although I have to say that noted crops make farming significantly easier, this will never be a fast skill due to the waiting times, so your point doesn't have any validity here. Having said that I also feel that Pyramid Plunder is an example that disputes your point about Jagex balancing skill development. Anyone on the 'fast track to a 99 thieving cape knows that PP will enable them to achieve this quickly and easily (if mind numbingly boring), and much faster than any other method.

I can definitely agree with you on Pyramid Plunder, actually. I see that as an example of an update where Jagex went over the line, and I think most people, including most of the developers at Jagex who are involved with the same issues today, would agree as well. The only change of comparable impact that I can think of (excluding Runescape Classic) was the advent of gilded altars for prayer training, which is more debatable, arguably balanced by the huge expense involved. There was also Pest Control, but that was nerfed back to ordinary levels.

I actually talked about this before, as a matter of fact.

I'll grant that the process of making a skill more fun can easily backfire if the developers don't bother to balance it properly--I think we saw this with Pyramid Plunder's super-fast experience rates, and I agree that aspect of the minigame was definitely overdone. But if you look at more modern examples of new training methods like Stealing Creation or the Runecrafting Guild, you have more balanced xp rates, as well as some added tension of where you want to use your rewards. Or the Distractions and Diversions thing, which is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin--little daily or weekly things that are supplementary at best.

You didn't really deal with the point of this which is if we keep getting higher weapons and armour, where does it stop?

This point is extremely pertinent and is one of my concerns, where does it stop? and as my original title for this thread says....."how easy do you want it?". I applaud those people who play the game the way they wish to for 'variety' and 'fun' rather than aggressive skill development =D>

It's not so much a matter of power creep as it is a matter of entertainment value. There's a quotation I like from Mark Rosewater, head designer of Magic: the Gathering R&D:

Something can be just as fun as something else without having to trump the previous fun. Fun is a threshold. To make something fun, you just have to pass that threshold. As long as it crosses the line, it's fun. Fun doesn't have to compete with other fun. For example, how much my children loved ice cream yesterday has no relevance on whether they'll enjoy going to the playground tomorrow.
In other words, updates don't need to directly compete with each other.

Just disadvantaging yourself is stupid. Are you saying you WANT to forget to refill ectophil and curse about it? That is just plain stupid.

I don't believe that the game should get super easy, but you can make it a bit less hard on yourself. Some people make no sense at all honestly :roll: Saying that you WANT to be disadvantaged is stupid.

disturbeda.png

I was tempted to initially put this in the 'Rant' section, but decided to open it up for debate......should be interesting lol.

I have been reading a number of the debates going on on Tip.It, and what strikes me is how easy everyone seems to want the game to be. Whether you are complaining about how much hard work it is to achieve a skill cape...well duh! Thats why its an achievement cape. And a huge amount of debate over the GE, price manipulation and merchanting....and yes I am aware there is a difference, and so what? Its there, its happening, live with it....so it makes the game harder, its not against the rules and at least makes buying and selling interesting. So what if raw lobbies are more expensive than cooked ones? Catch your own if its a problem. :shame:

Praise to farmers before crops could be noted! Praise to merchanters who made money before GE! Praise to agility skills before the ability to have rest stops. Praise to thieves before Pyramid Plunder (which serves no real purpose except to achieve 99 faster)....can you see where I am going with this????? Even the ectophunctus automatically refills when you tele....how many times have I forgotten to do that and sworn about it, but it was part of the fun.

Now it may be that some of this is covered elsewhere, but there appears to be some commonalities that deserved to be brought together, mainly people who cannot be bothered to enjoy the game for what it is. My point is that Runescape is a great game, but there appears to be a lot of players demanding that it is made easier and easier. I disagree with this and think that Jagex may have already gone too far. What do you think?

(22:12:58) <+dandaman619_> !stats erewhon2

(22:12:59) -[AM]RuneScript- *** [ EREWHON2 ]: Overall 1,769 | Att 78 | Def 78 | Str 78 | HP 80 | Range 74 | Pray 57 | Magic 76 | Cooking 78 | Woodcut 85 | Fletch 75 | Fishing 74 | Firemaking 66 | Crafting 72 | Smithing 71 | Mining 73 | Herblore 65 | Agility 99 | Thieving 99 | Slayer 67 | Farming 86 | Runecraft 57 | Hunter 63

(22:12:59) -[AM]RuneScript- *** [ EREWHON2 ]: Construction 61 | Summoning 57

I think you took it the easy way by having some membership. If you really want a challenge finish f2p game first.

My point is that everyone enjoys a mixture of both. Sure if getting a cooking cape is easy and you accomplish it and then you go to do say slayer and you can't do it you're going to be mad and possibly complain but in the long run it's worth it and you feel more accomplished - I enjoy challenges but sometimes i enjoy a nice easy task to do here and there.

6590ew.jpg

I was tempted to initially put this in the 'Rant' section, but decided to open it up for debate......should be interesting lol.

I have been reading a number of the debates going on on Tip.It, and what strikes me is how easy everyone seems to want the game to be. Whether you are complaining about how much hard work it is to achieve a skill cape...well duh! Thats why its an achievement cape. And a huge amount of debate over the GE, price manipulation and merchanting....and yes I am aware there is a difference, and so what? Its there, its happening, live with it....so it makes the game harder, its not against the rules and at least makes buying and selling interesting. So what if raw lobbies are more expensive than cooked ones? Catch your own if its a problem. :shame:

Praise to farmers before crops could be noted! Praise to merchanters who made money before GE! Praise to agility skills before the ability to have rest stops. Praise to thieves before Pyramid Plunder (which serves no real purpose except to achieve 99 faster)....can you see where I am going with this????? Even the ectophunctus automatically refills when you tele....how many times have I forgotten to do that and sworn about it, but it was part of the fun.

Now it may be that some of this is covered elsewhere, but there appears to be some commonalities that deserved to be brought together, mainly people who cannot be bothered to enjoy the game for what it is. My point is that Runescape is a great game, but there appears to be a lot of players demanding that it is made easier and easier. I disagree with this and think that Jagex may have already gone too far. What do you think?

(22:12:58) <+dandaman619_> !stats erewhon2

(22:12:59) -[AM]RuneScript- *** [ EREWHON2 ]: Overall 1,769 | Att 78 | Def 78 | Str 78 | HP 80 | Range 74 | Pray 57 | Magic 76 | Cooking 78 | Woodcut 85 | Fletch 75 | Fishing 74 | Firemaking 66 | Crafting 72 | Smithing 71 | Mining 73 | Herblore 65 | Agility 99 | Thieving 99 | Slayer 67 | Farming 86 | Runecraft 57 | Hunter 63

(22:12:59) -[AM]RuneScript- *** [ EREWHON2 ]: Construction 61 | Summoning 57

I think you took it the easy way by having some membership. If you really want a challenge finish f2p game first.

My point is that everyone enjoys a mixture of both. Sure if getting a cooking cape is easy and you accomplish it and then you go to do say slayer and you can't do it you're going to be mad and possibly complain but in the long run it's worth it and you feel more accomplished - I enjoy challenges but sometimes i enjoy a nice easy task to do here and there.

this.

I have lived my life to the best of my ability, but I have not been able to escape fate, anger, or pain.

Bring me the answers, and the road that leads to truth, reveal to me once and for all, how all of this will end.

Shadows cannot exist without the light. But without the shadows, the light has no meaning.

Ok, you win your stupid argument. Go and gloat about it. I could continue, but it's a waste of time arguing with stubborn people over a two-way misunderstanding. I still don't know what the hell are you talking about and vice versa.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Change will definitely make things easier. The degree of how much easier it makes the game might differ from almost negligible to controversial, but it will make the game easier.

Revenants DID make the game easier, because they were REPLACING intelligent PKers. If they were an individual update, they would not have made the game easier, but they were not; they were to replace PKers and to make the game easier.

It doesn't matter to me whether the game gets easier or not, since it's still very difficult as of now. There could be many updates making the game easier before the game really becomes TOO easy. But that day will probably never come since Jagex will be careful enough to regulate their updates such that the game will still be challenging.

A pretty ridiculous argument unless you want all members to go back to P2P and sod members off. I believe the poster was talking about continuous updates.

According to many posts here the game is continuously going to get easier. You hold this viewpoint? If you're happy with a challenge do you agree with this?

Just disadvantaging yourself is stupid. Are you saying you WANT to forget to refill ectophil and curse about it? That is just plain stupid.

I don't believe that the game should get super easy, but you can make it a bit less hard on yourself. Some people make no sense at all honestly :roll: Saying that you WANT to be disadvantaged is stupid.

Who said anything about disadvantaging one's self? I think the post in question is about areas such as updates. More making the skills or whatever in question easier than it was before.

As far as the ectophil question this was a ridiculous update as either players whinged to get it changed because they kept forgetting themselves or Jagex didn't trust players to do it by themselves. Do you want the game to skill for you while you're there? Perhaps while your asleep do a couple of quests?

As far as the ectophil question this was a ridiculous update as either players whinged to get it changed because they kept forgetting themselves or Jagex didn't trust players to do it by themselves. Do you want the game to skill for you while you're there? Perhaps while your asleep do a couple of quests?

#-o

Nothing is wrong with refilling the ectophial automatically. How could you possibly take issue with that? It should have been like that in the first place. And what is this slippery slope here? Improving the interface to be more user-friendly = automatic quest completion. Right. -.-

A pretty ridiculous argument unless you want all members to go back to P2P and sod members off. I believe the poster was talking about continuous updates.

According to many posts here the game is continuously going to get easier. You hold this viewpoint? If you're happy with a challenge do you agree with this?

I think it's fine to add a few easy things to do in a game, afterall it is a GAME and should be enjoyable but also challenging and I think Jagex does a good job in keeping the balance in there. As for the game getting easier are you sure you're not getting smarter on how to level stuff up? Cuz when i was a 'noob' it would have taken me a good month to get 40 mining or something but now I know how to train mining faster and could get it so much 'easier' But to counter that jagex doesn't make each lvl the same exp inbetween so even with people gaining knowledge theres still challenges to obtain the next lvl. I don't mind doing some easy stuff but I also don't mind the challenges because when you finish that challenge you feel so proud :thumbup:

6590ew.jpg

Just disadvantaging yourself is stupid

Oh good grief! Who is talking about disavantaging? This is a game! Even in real life you wouldn't play golf blindfolded, that would be a disadvantage, but neither would you enlarge the holes by twice their size, that would make the game too easy. Do you understand the difference? :wall:

What a completely ridiculous statement! I became a member as a natural result of 'trying the game out' as a f2p and deciding I wished for more variety and to explore further (I was continually frustrated by not being able to get the other side of Falador lol), it actually had nothing at all to do with skills. I know that probably upsets some people that I can enjoy this game without considering heirarchies, ranking or playing the way others think is 'correct'. :o

I enjoy challenges but sometimes i enjoy a nice easy task to do here and there.

I do not deny that an easy task is nice now and again...of course it is! But you are still not answering the thread question of how easy do you want it? Are you saying that updates are making it harder or easier?

this.

Go away and read the rules of the debate forum and come back when you have something to say #-o

Improving the interface to be more user-friendly = automatic quest completion. Right.

You have purposely misinterpreted jrhairychest's post, which offers a sarcastic (or is it? I really don't know with some of those who are posting here, lmao!) 'extreme' of making the game easier....if you disagree, you tell me.....where does it stop? I reiterate his points that this is just one element of a number of updates that have made skill development and the game in general easier, particularly for younger members and that the ectophial update for example, was completely pointless and unnecessary .

35cq0q9.png

How easy do I want it? I don't want it easy at all. The more challenging it is, the more rewarding it is, and it means much more to have that cape.

My signature got deleted :(

And I lost all the links. Thanks Gandorf61.

I don't take it for granted that this stuff makes the game easier. Do you honestly think that fletching takes less skill to train because of string-x? Do you honestly think farming requires less skill because the ectophial refills automatically?

And even if they do, so what? There's no sound evidence to suggest that anything bad will come of it. It's just a fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Answer me this: what is it now that makes the game hard? Because the way I see it, it's been pretty damn easy from the start.

I believe you said this:

I think a rational player just accepts that skills are going to get faster to train as new updates come around

Then this:

Answer me this: what is it now that makes the game hard? Because the way I see it, it's been pretty damn easy from the start.

So you're saying that the game is already easy and new updates are going to make the game easier. My point is this is not a hard game but it does present some challenges. I dont believe that any 'rational' player would accept the game becoming easier and easier unless you want to be king of the hill over players of 10 years old. Erewhon2's golf example is a pretty good way of putting it. So, getting easier...good thing is it?

Fletching is a prime example of a skill that no-one cares about, except for those who are going for it as their first 99 skill, because its one of the easiest skills to get. Players devalued this themselves. If the game goes easier as you suggest eventually we will be left a game with no real achievement left in any skill. This is also a good thing is it? I also think you've got the farming/ectophil thing mixed up as they were used as seperate examples, farming being in the OP.

A couple of suggestions. First, if you don't understand something just ask. If the term 'slippery slope' doesn't make sense then all you had to do was ask me what it meant. Secondly use an on-line dictionary rather than Wiki. The link below provides some useful info where you can put the examples into context:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slippery+slope