RuneScape Content's Answers by Mod Fetzki 10-Sep-2009

Bauke

Lil Duck 99 asks:

Will Free To play Players get skillcapes? (Simple Question, Yes or No)

Mod Mark: No.

That means wearable skill capes in F2P is still in the question. :thumbsup:

Or Corrupt Skillcapes - They degrade after 30 minutes of skilling. :?

So much for Jagex's claim that F2P wasn't a demo.

Free to play isn't a demo, and Jagex not giving f2p skillcapes doesn't suddenly make it a demo.

Learn what a demo is. Runescape is a Freemium title.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taco 50 asks:

Are there plans to release another boss monster? The last ones were Tormented Demons sometime in November 2008. Also, will it be as easy as the GWD bosses, or a bit more challenging like Corporeal? 2009 is the year of upgrades. As one of your goals for this year, you wanted to take some of the less used content and breathe life into them. What I have in mind is the Chaos Elemental and Kalphite Queen. Are there plans to improve these bosses?

Mod Mark: I have some crazy ideas to do with a Kalphite King and Queen Black Dragon. ;) We do want to improve the drops on some of the older bosses, but its unlikely we would change how they behaved. Many players like the less challenging monsters, so we want to provide a mix. Certainly, most of my clan mates in-game find the God Wars bosses quite challenging!

OH MY GOD

If thats not a typo, il scream. :lol:

thatd be pretty awesome, but pretty much skrews up of the current KBD and KQ systemz :o

kalphite king would be impossible(or at least very stupid) since insect colony's only have a dominant queen and all the male workers are slaves.

aye true. Though if their anything like ants they'll have an emergence of large winged males annually. It would make sense to have a an area of say.. lvl200? Large but not KQ large winged kalphite.

Or maybe they could suggest only one fertile male is produced and it's BIG. They could extend the size of the kalphites lair or possibly create another one nearer the bottom right of the desert region.

cakesncats056-1.jpg

Lil Duck 99 asks:

Will Free To play Players get skillcapes? (Simple Question, Yes or No)

Mod Mark: No.

That means wearable skill capes in F2P is still in the question. :thumbsup:

Or Corrupt Skillcapes - They degrade after 30 minutes of skilling. :?

So much for Jagex's claim that F2P wasn't a demo.

Crimsoncow, how does "no" mean "maybe"?

Corrupt skill capes.. no thanks.

F2P is a glorified demo.

Wearable, but not obtainable. He said that F2P would never be able to buy them. You'd still have to buy them in P2P, but you can wear them in F2P. So it would benefit both P2P and ex-members.

f203f1850c.png

Tygirltaco asks:

Have you ever considered doing something funny with all those boxes, drawers and bookshelves that have 'nothing' or 'nothing interesting' in them? For instance I've seen in other games where the player looks in a cabinet of a male NPC's home and there was something akward like pink leotards inside.

Mod Mark: Haha! Have you been looking in Mod Fetzkis wardrobe? *ducks* :) Originally, many of those kinds of locations gave random, useless items like buttons and bits of roofing. We decided to remove that feature because it was just clogging up peoples banks with chaff (pointless bits of, erm, stuff). There are some locations in the game where you can obtain strange costumes from searching in dodgy wardrobes, though...

Where are these wardrobes and what costumes do you get from them?

Ya that stumbled me...anyone wanna visit every house and find the wardrobe? we could split in groups =P

Asn_sensei.gif

Tygirltaco asks:

Have you ever considered doing something funny with all those boxes, drawers and bookshelves that have 'nothing' or 'nothing interesting' in them? For instance I've seen in other games where the player looks in a cabinet of a male NPC's home and there was something akward like pink leotards inside.

Mod Mark: Haha! Have you been looking in Mod Fetzkis wardrobe? *ducks* :) Originally, many of those kinds of locations gave random, useless items like buttons and bits of roofing. We decided to remove that feature because it was just clogging up peoples banks with chaff (pointless bits of, erm, stuff). There are some locations in the game where you can obtain strange costumes from searching in dodgy wardrobes, though...

Where are these wardrobes and what costumes do you get from them?

Ya that stumbled me...anyone wanna visit every house and find the wardrobe? we could split in groups =P

I think it means the wardrobes in WGS.
imagangster.png

Wearable, but not obtainable. He said that F2P would never be able to buy them. You'd still have to buy them in P2P, but you can wear them in F2P. So it would benefit both P2P and ex-members.

I still don't see how saying "no" outright to "will F2P get skillcapes?" means there is a possibility in any shape or form. You can still have them as an ex-member, just you can never die with them or take them off. There are no significantly stat-boosting capes inherent to F2P, so wearing a cape that has 0s across the board doesn't hurt.

There is always the possibility that Jagex reneges on their statement at some point down the road. I hope not though, as skillcapes are a benefit and reason for a high level F2Per to get members (marketing ploy, basically).

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

The question that must be answered is: Would allowing skill capes to be worn in free worlds but not bought be considered giving F2P skill capes?

And yeah, you can wear them if you don't die or take them off.

But you can't PvP properly, stop people from asking you to do emote, or switch between other skill capes (which would be very helpful to members as well), among other things.

f203f1850c.png

People will still beg for emotes and run away from you in PvP whether capes are F2P or member's only.

Basically you want skill capes for F2P to be equivalent to gloves from Canifis. You can't get them from the source (trade with NPC) but you can wear (and trade/unequip) them in F2P.

However, it's different for the gloves because you don't have to ever be a member to get them. For skill capes, you have to become a member (ie, pay $5) to get the cape, in your scenario and with how the game is now. And I'm pretty sure Jagex has already stated that they will not be releasing a "shop" or "buyable goods/experience/levels" to the game.

demonslayer2.png

Skill capes would be handy to be wearable on both p2p and f2p for ex-members, but I don't expect them to ever be useable on f2p because you'd have an advantage over regular f2p players, a skill cape is a lot better compared to team and coloured capes, sure it's only a few extra defence point bonuses but it's still an unfair advantage and I can understand why Jagex wouldn't allow it.

Hope that makes sense :?

Dark_Jab.png

What if they disabled the defence bonus for F2P? What would you think then?

Then get members and quit, it's the same thing.

They're not going to put them in F2P, so either fork over 5 bucks for a month's membership or live with not having one. Why are you so concerned about it though? I see you're a member/ex-member.

demonslayer2.png

A new slayer update? i hope this has to do with the mysterious machinery and creating slayer monsters.

what machinery? and what isup with the "non-existant" boxes in port sarim?

Rogue Palko... Quest Cape since 2006... Player since 2001.... And Bored Player Mod...

Rogue_Palko.png

[hide=skill goals if you're interested...]

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]

What if they disabled the defence bonus for F2P? What would you think then?

Then get members and quit, it's the same thing.

They're not going to put them in F2P, so either fork over 5 bucks for a month's membership or live with not having one. Why are you so concerned about it though? I see you're a member/ex-member.

I consider myself mainly F2P and I own a skill cape. I like wearing it, but there are moments when it can be a pain. I just think that many people would accept this idea as a good mid way point for this whole F2P skill cape discussion.

f203f1850c.png

For members with capes, that would take away one thing from them that makes them unique. Now everyone can have skill capes, so it's not as "cool." But the main point is that it's not going to happen because becoming members just to get a cape and then canceling your subscription is essentially paying $5 for an in-game item. Jagex is not going to do that, as they've said before, and I like it that way. The fact that you can't buy your way to the top with real money (legitly) gives me a sense of appreciation for my average skills and for those with maxed stats or expensive items.

demonslayer2.png

For members with capes, that would take away one thing from them that makes them unique. Now everyone can have skill capes, so it's not as "cool." But the main point is that it's not going to happen because becoming members just to get a cape and then canceling your subscription is essentially paying $5 for an in-game item. Jagex is not going to do that, as they've said before, and I like it that way. The fact that you can't buy your way to the top with real money (legitly) gives me a sense of appreciation for my average skills and for those with maxed stats or expensive items.

demonslayer2.png

You're probably right. It could be considered paying for in game items.

However, many people already buy membership just for skill capes. The only difference is that they don't have the option of taking them off.

Skill capes are for show; they don't have a big impact on actual gameplay. What harm could it do if Jagex made an exception to one of the most coveted items in Runescape?

f203f1850c.png

You're probably right. It could be considered paying for in game items.

However, many people already buy membership just for skill capes. The only difference is that they don't have the option of taking them off.

Skill capes are for show; they don't have a big impact on actual gameplay. What harm could it do if Jagex made an exception to one of the most coveted items in Runescape?

f203f1850c.png

Then they wouldn't be so coveted. You want what you can't have, and when you have it, you don't really care any more- most of the time.

They actually have a decent impact in the game, in that they provide a +4 prayer boost when trimmed; the most of any cape. And only the Firecape has more defense than the skill capes.

Without disabling the stats (which they wouldn't do), these would have at least some impact on the F2P combat economy. In all, it wouldn't really hurt gameplay for them to be in F2P, but it's still something that won't happen.

demonslayer2.png

Then they wouldn't be so coveted. You want what you can't have, and when you have it, you don't really care any more- most of the time.

They actually have a decent impact in the game, in that they provide a +4 prayer boost when trimmed; the most of any cape. And only the Firecape has more defense than the skill capes.

Without disabling the stats (which they wouldn't do), these would have at least some impact on the F2P combat economy. In all, it wouldn't really hurt gameplay for them to be in F2P, but it's still something that won't happen.

demonslayer2.png