RuneScape Content's Answers by Mod Fetzki 10-Sep-2009

Bauke

Villeh111 asks:

Will magic armour finally be effective melee defence ?

Mod Mark: Tough question. Magic "armour" is rarely tough and bulky, and comes with sparkly bits and soft flimsy robes. They traditionally offer little defence from the blade, relying on the spell-casting prowess of the wearer to soak up damage. Its more likely we would reinforce the damage prevention side of Magic rather than cover mages in armour; however, this is purely speculation and its really too early to tell.

Buffs Jagex. Have mages be able to cast personal buffs on their robes (only works on robes) that will reduce melee damage as long as they have a staff equipped to constantly maintain the spell. The spell must be recast every few minutes. There, mages can now hold their own against melee, not give any bonuses to melee fighters and still be weak to ranged. Ahh rebalancing the combat triangle huh? ::'

Jagex is too daft to think of that on their own. :wall:

Seriously, Jagex needs to play some console RPGs to broaden their horizons on this kind of stuff.

Yeah during Yiazmat in FFXII you quickly learn buffs are your friend but only if necessary. As the battle goes on it becomes necessary to cast less and less until you're only reviving people when they fall. Ahh good times.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villeh111 asks:

Mod Mark: Tough question. Magic "armour" is rarely tough and bulky, and comes with sparkly bits and soft flimsy robes. They traditionally offer little defence from the blade, relying on the spell-casting prowess of the wearer to soak up damage. Its more likely we would reinforce the damage prevention side of Magic rather than cover mages in armour; however, this is purely speculation and its really too early to tell.

Buffs Jagex. Have mages be able to cast personal buffs on their robes (only works on robes) that will reduce melee damage as long as they have a staff equipped to constantly maintain the spell. The spell must be recast every few minutes. There, mages can now hold their own against melee, not give any bonuses to melee fighters and still be weak to ranged. Ahh rebalancing the combat triangle huh? ::'

Seriously, Jagex needs to play some console RPGs to broaden their horizons on this kind of stuff.

Yeah during Yiazmat in FFXII you quickly learn buffs are your friend but only if necessary. As the battle goes on it becomes necessary to cast less and less until you're only reviving people when they fall. Ahh good times.

To hell with console RPG's, these guys need to play some good old fashioned tabletop games, you can't call yourself a nerd without playing them at least once :D . But they are more widespread among MMOs nowadays as well, and seems to be something else that WoW has that would be very useful (Although now that I think about this, don't some/most prayers do precisely this?).

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Villeh111 asks:

To hell with console RPG's, these guys need to play some good old fashioned tabletop games, you can't call yourself a nerd without playing them at least once :D . But they are more widespread among MMOs nowadays as well, and seems to be something else that WoW has that would be very useful (Although now that I think about this, don't some/most prayers do precisely this?).

Not in the way i'm thinking. Since mages don't have high defense hits are often. Since hits are often and players have weapons that can 2 hit anyone, i'm thinking of reducing max hit of melee on mage (only against melee not range). Then mage will regain weakness to range without being weak to melee and the power of melee weapons won't need to be tweaked. Melee is supposed to beat ranged and on any combat form against itself the one with the better weapon and armour wins.

Not in the way i'm thinking. Since mages don't have high defense hits are often. Since hits are often and players have weapons that can 2 hit anyone, i'm thinking of reducing max hit of melee on mage (only against melee not range). Then mage will regain weakness to range without being weak to melee and the power of melee weapons won't need to be tweaked. Melee is supposed to beat ranged and on any combat form against itself the one with the better weapon and armour wins.

I think it would be a pretty cool idea, but only for the regular spellbook. Ancients can kite pretty well, so they don't have to worry about being hit at all. I can see a buff spell in conjunction with god spells and a binding spell here and there. With teleblock, regular magicks might actually be a contender to ancients.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Offtopic.....I do wish that they'd make the next "history" quest soon; time travelling is fun!

Ontopic.....Dang it, the first Q&A that gives straight answers and now I'm hankering to hear about other topics that aren't necessarily offlimits and this won't happen again for ages....

I was sort of wondering if I could combine a fish hat with a penguin mask.

8f14270694.jpg

1. Will the next Mahjarrat quest be released this year? Tell us anything about it? What difficulty level will it be? What will be the plot?

1. Yes. Difficulty levels follow on from the previous installment, plus a bit more. The next follow on quest after the part being released this year WILL be a grandmaster quest.

so after all they DO gonna release a grandmaster this year?! :shock:

the awsome grandmaster quest involving at least zemouragel&arrav, and most chances lucien and even the dragons mysteries creators?!

P.S. best q&a EVER

No, it means that after the sequel wich will be released this year they will make a GM quest.

On a side note, they must classify MEP2 as a GM quest, its way more challenging than WGS, with or without a guide.

Tygirltaco asks:

Have you ever considered doing something funny with all those boxes, drawers and bookshelves that have 'nothing' or 'nothing interesting' in them? For instance I've seen in other games where the player looks in a cabinet of a male NPC's home and there was something akward like pink leotards inside.

Mod Mark: Haha! Have you been looking in Mod Fetzkis wardrobe? *ducks* :) Originally, many of those kinds of locations gave random, useless items like buttons and bits of roofing. We decided to remove that feature because it was just clogging up peoples banks with chaff (pointless bits of, erm, stuff). There are some locations in the game where you can obtain strange costumes from searching in dodgy wardrobes, though...

Where are these wardrobes and what costumes do you get from them?

Taco 50 asks:

Are there plans to release another boss monster? The last ones were Tormented Demons sometime in November 2008. Also, will it be as easy as the GWD bosses, or a bit more challenging like Corporeal? 2009 is the year of upgrades. As one of your goals for this year, you wanted to take some of the less used content and breathe life into them. What I have in mind is the Chaos Elemental and Kalphite Queen. Are there plans to improve these bosses?

Mod Mark: I have some crazy ideas to do with a Kalphite King and Queen Black Dragon. ;) We do want to improve the drops on some of the older bosses, but its unlikely we would change how they behaved. Many players like the less challenging monsters, so we want to provide a mix. Certainly, most of my clan mates in-game find the God Wars bosses quite challenging!

OH MY GOD

If thats not a typo, il scream. :lol:

thatd be pretty awesome, but pretty much skrews up of the current KBD and KQ systemz :o

kalphite king would be impossible(or at least very stupid) since insect colony's only have a dominant queen and all the male workers are slaves.

Played since February 2001---Alex's Amazingly Awesome Astounding Awe-inspiring Blog

fjmg0g.jpg

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

this is great, because usually players ask really annoying questions in these like what kind of software jaagex uses and stupid technical stuff... answer what players want to hear... not techies... even though it is nice to see what jagex has planned computer spec wise it's annoying in these sort of contexts...

Rogue Palko... Quest Cape since 2006... Player since 2001.... And Bored Player Mod...

Rogue_Palko.png

[hide=skill goals if you're interested...]

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]

Lil Duck 99 asks:

Will Free To play Players get skillcapes? (Simple Question, Yes or No)

Mod Mark: No.

That means wearable skill capes in F2P is still in the question. :thumbsup:

Or Corrupt Skillcapes - They degrade after 30 minutes of skilling. :?

So much for Jagex's claim that F2P wasn't a demo.

Lil Duck 99 asks:

Will Free To play Players get skillcapes? (Simple Question, Yes or No)

Mod Mark: No.

That means wearable skill capes in F2P is still in the question. :thumbsup:

Or Corrupt Skillcapes - They degrade after 30 minutes of skilling. :?

So much for Jagex's claim that F2P wasn't a demo.

Crimsoncow, how does "no" mean "maybe"?

Corrupt skill capes.. no thanks.

F2P is a glorified demo.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

Villeh111 asks:

in other games (mostly tabletop D&D and some popular online games) magelore dictates that robes may be enchanted to have resistance greater than steel... in lord of the rings "mitril" chain is made from magical ore... it's lighter than air but stronger than dragons skin... which in most universes, dragon skin is near impossible to penetrate without some sort of magical/vorpal/specially made blade or a weak spot (beowulf)

so jagex is really kind of close minded in thinking PROTECTION = BULKY when in reality it's ENCHANTMENT + DECENT DEFENCE = PROTECTION

EDIT: btw thank GOD that sailing has been murdered... if i saw one more sailing thread on the RSOF i was gonna bash my head into my forge... at max heat... with a crucible of molten steel in it... lol

Rogue Palko... Quest Cape since 2006... Player since 2001.... And Bored Player Mod...

Rogue_Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]

It's their world and they'll do as the please. They also said to the guy asking about medieval fantasy MMO that it's not the run-of-the-mill Tolkien-esque-medieval, and people have that preconceived notion in their head.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

I think the Miasmic, or however it's spelled, spell was a good step in the right direction. Being able to slow down the attack speed of your opponent was awesome, but it sucks that it's only used in spells that are very rarely used.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

It's their world and they'll do as the please. They also said to the guy asking about medieval fantasy MMO that it's not the run-of-the-mill Tolkien-esque-medieval, and people have that preconceived notion in their head.

well it's not that i'm looking for some utopian mix of runescape and LOTR but its not entirely impossible in a fictional setting to have elaboate robes that can resist melee with enchantments...

it was more a remark on there being other ways to do mage gear rather than the standard BULKY ARMOR = MORE PROTECTION

Rogue_Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]

well it's not that i'm looking for some utopian mix of runescape and LOTR but its not entirely impossible in a fictional setting to have elaboate robes that can resist melee with enchantments...

it was more a remark on there being other ways to do mage gear rather than the standard BULKY ARMOR = MORE PROTECTION

No, but it would be far more interesting to have easy and effective spells that prevent close combat. Also, consider that if magic armour will suddenly have decent melee defence, meleers will simply use that armour to fight against mages.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

They need to make spells that cut damange by 25% or 50% etc for a limited period of time for mages. That could help sort out the issue over overpowered melee weapons. Just an idea.

Thats esentially what Mismic spells do. Slow your opponents attack rates down so the damage inflicted is much much slower. Instead of making GS hit half the damage, it just makes them hit half the speed. Same result, just different approach.

I would be more intrested in some AoE (area of effect) spells, much like the Corp Beasts non-homing Mage attack. Spells that do not home in on a target, but rather are cast in an area rather than target a player, and hits everything in that zone.

dawnsigblue-3.png

They need to make spells that cut damange by 25% or 50% etc for a limited period of time for mages. That could help sort out the issue over overpowered melee weapons. Just an idea.

Thats esentially what Mismic spells do. Slow your opponents attack rates down so the damage inflicted is much much slower. Instead of making GS hit half the damage, it just makes them hit half the speed. Same result, just different approach.

I would be more intrested in some AoE (area of effect) spells, much like the Corp Beasts non-homing Mage attack. Spells that do not home in on a target, but rather are cast in an area rather than target a player, and hits everything in that zone.

I always had an idea for some sort of tremor/earthquake spells. Spells that would hit the area around your target, and it deals more damages the heavier they are.

True, Miasmic spells do the job, but they're A. high level and B. require an expensive staff that self destructs after use.

What we need are lower level spells that do the same, or similar, things.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

True, Miasmic spells do the job, but they're A. high level and B. require an expensive staff that self destructs after use.

What we need are lower level spells that do the same, or similar, things.

That is exactly what I said earlier.

I also think that pushback and stun spells could serve a purpose. Who wouldn't love to push a meleer back 7 spaces with each hit, or stun them, run, and far cast them again?

maybe a (excuse my language) badass bubble spell? like a force field thats temporary and has little electric charges that surround you?

Rogue_Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]

maybe a (excuse my language) badass bubble spell? like a force field thats temporary and has little electric charges that surround you?

Unlike your home made bandos armor, your language is excusable. ;)

That could work as well. Mages need something... anything right now.

Unlike your home made bandos armor, your language is excusable. ;)

That could work as well. Mages need something... anything right now.

wahahaha! waaaah! noooes! i... workes so hards! it was pretty... i wins theengs!...

i find corner nao...

on a serious note with remarkably better and more mature spelling...

it should have some sort of cool animation... and degrade obviously... maybe they can use the D&D joke and implement magic missile?

Rogue_Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]