Clean your keyboard day.

How2PK

Because I don't want Mitch's topic about licking keyboards and so to get locked I though I'd open my own topic about keyboard cleaning. Rba made me open this topic.

Well, I just cleaned my keyboard for the first time in three years of using this keyboard. I've made a few pictures of it, and posted what materials I used.

Now I'm asking you all to clean your keyboards, take pics if you can and post them up here. Share info on keyboard cleaning, for example how many times you are suposed to do it a year, and what materials you used to clean it etc.

whatcameoutofmykeyboard3po.jpg

That's my picture...

1. What was under my spation thingy key.

2. What was under the tab, caps lock, shift, control, windows and alt button. After I shaked it all out.

3. firt two rows of keys (z till / and a till enter button)

4. ^^

5. something of the upper bars (q till ] and 1 till backspace)

6. Some hairballs that were in the keyboard...

Materials used:

Those little sticks to remove earwax from your ears

A babyfork

Some kitchen paper.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

At work i just get a new keyboard if it starts getting dirty. Everytime we order a new computer i swap my keyboard for the one one. That way it always looks sparkling and clean ^_^

At home i just tip it upside down and give it a good shake. There are also holes at the bottom of the keyboards to let crap fall out of it. Then i get my pen knife and run it along the keys to get clumps of dust out.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

:? I generly do what merc does, and i dont think my keys can come out... Ive had this keyboard for so long, i think its time for a new one...

I did what Mitch said, I took a baby fork (you know, the silver stuff you get when you are born) and got everything out with that. The keyboard types better now, and it looks better. :D

21o4pav.jpg

lol i just missed this topic i cleaned my keyboard out for the first time the other day, taking of every key and cleaning it out there was alot of crumbs and some random hair in there but not as bad as ures.

If u do it try and buy some ( Pledge- Drab-it) there like clothes and really pick up the dirt and stuff. although now everything is orange scented :P

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

I first held it upside down and tapped on the back, then I took a handkerchief and rubbed away some dust.

Its pretty clean now, well for a keyboard thats used so many times the letters have been worn off.

f2p skilltotal 1050+

... I think you've discouraged everyone from cleaning their keyboards in fear of discovering several dozen new species of fungi and other matter.

No fungi here, the hairballs mixed with cookiecrums was nice though... :)

21o4pav.jpg

:x :cry: :( My sapce bar isnt working properly, there was the little mettle bar that helped keep it in place and i cant put it back properly now... now its on an odd angle when i type, and i have to smash it with my thumb when typying...

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

:x :cry: :( My sapce bar isnt working properly, there was the little mettle bar that helped keep it in place and i cant put it back properly now... now its on an odd angle when i type, and i have to smash it with my thumb when typying...

Oh, I had that too. Shove the metal bars in the place they belong and then slide your bar in. :)

21o4pav.jpg

The keyboard on which I'm typing this is from... (checks label) 1985. That's older than me. It hasn't stopped working yet and I don't want to risk making it do so by cleaning it any more than necessary.

ibm-keyboard.jpg That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. Such a great keyboard. The only thing that stops me from painting over the key-caps so that only worthy people can use it is... well, two things: one, that I might forget where the h key is -- which would be disasterous -- and not wanting to deface such a great keyboard.

Saying all that, though, I have cleaned it fairly recently, and will continue to do so when it needs it -- if it's survived 20 years of button-mashing, I think it can handle a bit of a rub down every now and then.

my keyboard on the family computer that i used to use before i bought my computer was pretty nasty. i dont know how many drinks ive spilled on it, the lemonade made all the keys stick for a while. probably many many chip crumbs in there, as well as cookie crumbs, and many other crumbs. a piece of popsicle once broke off and fell onto the numpad, and it kinda screwed things up over there for a while. but i dont use that computer anymore so i dont have to worry about it :lol:

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Oh, I had that too. Shove the metal bars in the place they belong and then slide your bar in. :)

:D Its back to normal! But the way you said it, would of bent taking off all the keys around it, and i dont want to do that. Also my keybaord is odd, cause it has a big break on the top of space bar... so it wouldnt work properly even if i did.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

This might sound like a bad idea at first, but throw it in the dishwasher.

I didn't clean my keyboard for three years or so and it looked pretty bad. It's a pretty time consuming process, so might want to have a back up keyboard if you can't leave the computer for a few hours.

So take all of the keys off, one by one. Once you get one out the rest are easy, but use a screwdriver or something to take off the first one. The space/shift/enter keys on my board had bars on them or additional support, so they might take some more careful pulling.

Unscrew the keyboard back and observe how it goes together. Mine was a little harder to take apart because of the media buttons and whatnot at the top.Shake out all of the junk outside or something. Make sure your keys are in a safe place in the dishwasher so they don't fly all over and get melted or something (because just one ruined key would be a reason for a new keyboard).

The washing will get rid of the dirt on the keys and under/in the keyboard itself. Don't assemble it until everything is really dry, I used the air compressor to blow out all of the spaces in the keys otherwise I think it would take overnight or longer for them to dry.

Put it back together carefully just as it was before. I greased the shift/space/enter keys on the bars, but I think it might have been wise to do them all, it might get rid of that noise that keyboards are famous for. Might be time to do another cleaning even though it hasn't been more than six months.

peterstretchfn5.gif

There was a ting on the television a while ago saying that the most germs you will find in a house will be on a regularly used keyboard. More than a toilet seat etc.

I will clean mine tomorrow. :)

X1nPw.png

--The Ultimate RuneScape Merchanting Website --