The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Habs are doing ok. I find it difficult to see them going far in the playoffs though with that many D out. Price can only do so much...

Sadly, I think you're right.

We've seen Cujo and the Dominator steal series and carry a team within a short distance of a Cup, but, while I like Carey Price, and I thnk he is the goalie of the future, he's not there yet.

Montreal has some good boys down on the farm though, in Hamilton. We go and see the Bulldogs play from time to time. Not NHL superstars or anything, but very capable farm hands that may help out along the way.

We got to see Price, first hand, pretty much single handedly win the Calder Cup. It was something to watch, I can tell you. <3:

I don't think there are any "cup stealing" goalies this year. TT maybe, but when he tanks, he tanks hard....

As for picking my 'favourite team', I can't really choose seeing as I've always seen the nhl as 'all 30 teams playing against eachother' rather than 'ooh, I like this one'. I'd love to see phoenix make it past the first round though, seeing as they've done so much in the past few years (relocation problems, firing gretzky, and going from crap to west-threatening).

Yeah I'd like to see Pheonix do well. Also LA.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I don't think I would enjoy watching the game nearly as much without my favourites. Every game means more to me with them. Even games not involving my top 3 (Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver).

But yeah, Phoenix does deserve some good runs in the next few years, and I hope to see them do it.

Habs got some good support at the deadline, in the form of a prospect goalie (and former wwe wrestler?) Drew macintyre. Mind you, trading away halak was a biiiig mistake for them. They've left themselves vulnerable should price get injured/start sucking, and as a playoff goalie, it was halak who got them to the esf last year, not price. It should be interesting though during the playoffs, seeing as aside from washington/tampa, no other team is '100% certain' to make it past the first round. West is an entirely different scenario, due to all the massive drops this year. San jose fell, calgary fell, phoenix rose exponentially. Should be very interesting when it comes close to playoff time, which teams will manage to get that 'push'.

div>

Habs are doing ok. I find it difficult to see them going far in the playoffs though with that many D out. Price can only do so much...

Sadly, I think you're right.

We've seen Cujo and the Dominator steal series and carry a team within a short distance of a Cup, but, while I like Carey Price, and I thnk he is the goalie of the future, he's not there yet.

Montreal has some good boys down on the farm though, in Hamilton. We go and see the Bulldogs play from time to time. Not NHL superstars or anything, but very capable farm hands that may help out along the way.

We got to see Price, first hand, pretty much single handedly win the Calder Cup. It was something to watch, I can tell you. <3:

I don't think there are any "cup stealing" goalies this year. TT maybe, but when he tanks, he tanks hard....

True, but never give up the "surprise" goalie. Look at Leighton last season and how close Philly got.

As for picking my 'favourite team', I can't really choose seeing as I've always seen the nhl as 'all 30 teams playing against eachother' rather than 'ooh, I like this one'. I'd love to see phoenix make it past the first round though, seeing as they've done so much in the past few years (relocation problems, firing gretzky, and going from crap to west-threatening).

Yeah I'd like to see Pheonix do well. Also LA.

I absolutely refuse to cheer for Phoenix. There shouldn't even have a team down there. It should be in Winnipeg where it belongs. :thumbdown:

nyuseg.png

Habs got some good support at the deadline, in the form of a prospect goalie (and former wwe wrestler?) Drew macintyre. Mind you, trading away halak was a biiiig mistake for them. They've left themselves vulnerable should price get injured/start sucking, and as a playoff goalie, it was halak who got them to the esf last year, not price. It should be interesting though during the playoffs, seeing as aside from washington/tampa, no other team is '100% certain' to make it past the first round. West is an entirely different scenario, due to all the massive drops this year. San jose fell, calgary fell, phoenix rose exponentially. Should be very interesting when it comes close to playoff time, which teams will manage to get that 'push'.

Makes no sense to pay two starting goalies at the same time. It made sense to pick one, and they clearly made the right choice (although Halak is certainly good).

True, but never give up the "surprise" goalie. Look at Leighton last season and how close Philly got.

True, but then he ended up costing them the cup with his weak play.

polvCwJ.gif

Leighton literally did the impossible last year. He went from a sh'tty goalie in carolina, to a good goalie in philly. Mind you, he's still heavily unreliable. As for the habs, it's still always good to have 2 starting goalies. Look at detroit and what they did with osgood/conklin, or what washington has done with neuvirth/varlamov. In both cases, neither starting goalie had more than 35wins during the regular season, both goalies together didn't hurt the cap much (3.5m for detroit, 1.7m for washington), and each goalie managed to do decently in the playoffs.

div>

if a team is coming back to canada, i'd love to see it in hamilton lol

Same. Give MLSE some competition.

Oh god, don't get me started on this topic ... :twisted:

That said -- I've been curious why Jim Balsillie hasn't been tweeking the Sabres ownership. :unsure:

nyuseg.png

The sabres were never for sale - TP managed to convince the old owner to sell with personal please (He's a lifelong fan). JB never had a chance with the sabres.

polvCwJ.gif

Speaking of the sabres: I think they're screwed cap-wise next season. 8m on goalies, another 42m on defence/forwards. Sabres may be forced to get rid of some players, which could actually be good for fans of toronto/other cruddy teams. Imagine if toronto got someone like pomminville on their team...they might actually do well.

div>

Um -- what are we seeing here? :unsure:

Alex ovechkin's pic of phil kessel before he went last at the all star game draft.

Same. Give MLSE some competition.

the CEO of RIM actually tried to move the penguins/preds/coyotes to hamilton, but the NHL shut him down

Yeah I know. I was just saying the sabres weren't on his list. They shut him down because he was being a real douche about it.

polvCwJ.gif

Weird...I'm confused as to why toronto is even trying anymore. Sure, they could make the playoffs, but for the good of their team, would they even benefit off doing so? Them making the playoffs pretty much equals a bye for the flyers/capitals in the first round...

div>

Because it's every team's goal to make the playoffs? They have no first round pick this year, so tanking won't help (well they have two but not their own).

polvCwJ.gif

Meh...even without a first rounder, making the playoffs for them is still pretty bad. The best hope they have is getting knocked out early, to avoid possible injury to their players. They're never gonna make it past the first round, not unless the entire washington team catches the plague and dies...

div>

But they'll have made the playoffs, which is still something...

The injury argument makes no sense. You're just as likely to be injured tanking a regular season game as you are in the playoffs.

polvCwJ.gif