The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

I actually find it kinda funny. Toronto really wanted to get more people who could score, so they brought in a goalie whose nickname is 'jiggy'. Toronto literally got jiggy in the hopes of being able to score...

div>

To be honest the ACC isn't the loudest of rinks...the combination of an (often) mediocre team, expensive seats and such mean that often the rink is full of executives who don't even use their seats. Still a good time though.

Personally I want to go to a habs game, they have to have one of the best arenas.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Indeed.

They also put John Mitchell on waivers :D

All we need now is Lebda on waivers as well and we're good to go :P

EDIT: :o Beauchemin to Anaheim for Lupul, Gardiner and a 2013 4th...interesting.

Good trade I think, depends on how Lupul plays though (possible 30g a year, more likely 10-15 though). Gardiner played pretty well for team usa in Juniors (and has a good point total as D).

polvCwJ.gif

price should've hit thomas when he had the chance... it's possible they'll meet in the playoffs and he'll be wishing he did

the atlanta game must've been fun to be there. always high scoring when they're around

Indeed :) No thoughts on the trade? :P

polvCwJ.gif

the beauchemin trade? i have no idea who the prospect is but supposedly he's good considering he was a first rounder, and i think lupul came along for the sake of the duck's cap space. beau got better than what people were saying he would go for (2nd round pick) so good for burke

i'm more interested in what happens to kaberle. so much drama with his future

I really can't see Mac getting moved, but Versteeg is a good possibility. I would rather they both stay, though. And I think the Beauchemin deal will help the Leafs more than the Ducks. We needed another goal-scorer and Lupul CAN be just that. Only time will tell, I guess. Gardiner, I don't know much about, though. And draft picks are always good... even later rounds.

I'd really like to see toronto pick up one of those ufa goalies that are out there, or at least pick one up at the end of the season. Current list of ufa goalies (or ones that will be on july 1st):

Johan holmqvist

Dwayne rolosson

Kari lehtonen

Kevin weekes

Pekka rinne

Chris mason

If toronto picked up even one of them, they could trade toskala for some better offense, and clear up a ton of cap space...

div>

I'd really like to see toronto pick up one of those ufa goalies that are out there, or at least pick one up at the end of the season. Current list of ufa goalies (or ones that will be on july 1st):

Johan holmqvist

Dwayne rolosson

Kari lehtonen

Kevin weekes

Pekka rinne

Chris mason

If toronto picked up even one of them, they could trade toskala for some better offense, and clear up a ton of cap space...

None of those really stand out to me as better goalies then what they have already in Reimer(depending of course on how Gustavsson turns out). They may well pick up someone though, I don't see them resigning Giguere.

polvCwJ.gif

@yguy: are you sure? Each of those goalies have done way better than their current lineup. Rinne hasn't had a -500 season in his career, lehtonen has only had 1 bad season, and would only cost 2.25mil per season, and weekes/holmqvist are both waaaay better backups than reimer/gustavsson. I'd really like it though if they traded away giguere/reimer for a high-scoring forward...

div>

Trading away reimer makes no sense. I think they will try to do precisely what you suggest with Giguere though.

It all depends on what happens with Gustavvson really.

polvCwJ.gif

So, just detouring from Leafs talk...

those Isles man... that was one hilarious game vs the Pens! I was watching the replays and couldn't stop laughing when Haley fought Johnson then Goddard jumped on from the bench, wow that is some entertaining hockey!

Staurolite.png

Well, the islanders have to be funny considering how much of a joke they already kinda are. They have a cruddy goalie signed to an insane contract (I mean, c'mon, dipietro for 15years!?!), they have a crosby-like forward that's gonna waste away with them, and for the past 5 years, they've been unable to do much in the post-season. In a way, they're like the devils...except for the fact that they have about 5.8mil in extra cap space wheras the devils have 0. In other news: is anyone else shocked by the reversal of roles this year? Tampa has gone from 2nd worst to 3rd best in the league, and calgary has more or less crumbled even though they didn't change much during the offseason...

div>