The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Watching Blues at Wings right now... Our goaltender situation is kind of funny right now. Osgood has a hernia, he's out for like 6 weeks. Howard gets a bruised knee, he's in and out. So McDonald is playing, and McCollum is backing him up, and in Houston the Griffins are playing Pearce who's being backed up by a guy they signed this morning to a professional tryout... Dov Grumet-Morris.

But Wings are winning so I won't complain, McDonald's having a decent day, making some good saves... I know the feeling of letting in the first couple goals, especially when you couldn't really do anything about it; it sucks.

They should've fought.

But it would've gone something like this:

*burrows hits avery*

*avery 2hand slashes back*

*burrows spears*

*avery writhes around like a soccer player*

then the refs step in.

Pretty much haha.

Just watched TO vs CGY, and I must say that was the most mind-numbingly boring game I've ever seen. Even though we lost, I was impressed with Giguere's play though; one of his best games this season I think.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

For the first 50 minutes, I agree. But after that, I was on the edge of my seat, and it was some exciting hockey!! Too bad Calgary won =/.

Then I watched the Oilers game, and damn, Taylor Hall got rocked by Doughty. But Hall's not even hurt, he's a tought kid =D. I really wish Paajarvi would get more points and start using his frame (6' 1''), but he's been playing well lately. The points aren't really piling up for him, but it's tough when he spent like half the season on the 3rd & 4th line with Cogs and Brule. Oh well, he'll only get better :shades:

Oh yea, that Wings' injury situation is ridiculous, but im not surprised at their depth.

Staurolite.png

What was wrong with Howard exactly? I saw the injury but they never actually came to a conclusion about what happened....

His knee is bruised, the part of the pad that's supposed to cover part of his knee slipped off and the puck hit it pretty full force... He might be playing tonight, not sure.

Just wanted to weigh in on the Burrows comments... The Bouchard one was dirty. The Staal one wasn't.

Battling in front of the net, sticks going everywhere, things happen. I've been a defenceman for years and know that stuff like that happens in front of the net. That's got to be where 90% of highstickings occur. Are those all done with the intent to injure as well? I can't even count the number of times I've been whacked with a stick while battling. Basing an accusation such as "dirtiest player in the league" on two incidents (one of which is in the riskiest place on the ice, during a stick battle) is a little absurd. Especially with the people playing in the league right now. Avery (c'mon... there's a fine line between agitating and... whatever you want to call Avery), Cooke (headshot extraordinaire), KALETA (everything this [puncture] does), Downie, and even Ovechkin (knee-on-knees (Gleason & Gonchar) and numerous boardings). Those are just some people I can pick off the top of my head.

All this brought to you by a Canucks fan... a little biased I know, but the point still stands haha.

On another note, the All Star game. I'm personally hoping to see Ovie & Crosby play together and the Sedins playing against each other for the first time in their lives.

Slack_Tide.png

OK, just as you are biased, being a Wild and Oilers fan, I'm also a bit biased :P

But still, there's no denying he's a dirty player. But hey I guess it's effective so whatever works for him, just like how Avery is effective.

Staurolite.png

i'd like to see these players get traded away by the end of the season:

kaberle

giguere

phaneuf

lebda

komisarek

armstrong

2nd round drafts would be nice

Well, that wasn't too bad.

Kaberle - i can't decide. He's stuck around for so long, and been a key part of their team, he's not super expenisve. People argue that he's gotten worse, but really he's on pace for 50+ points which is as good as any year he's had, pretty much. Consistent for what he is, and on a team that lacks consistency...I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around.

Giguere - absolutely. Decent goalie, wayy too expensive - with decent depth in the marlies and Gustavsson capable (sometimes) I think he's unecessary.

Phaneuf - not the player he once was, for sure. You can't deny that he helps the team though, they do have a better record with him in the lineup than without. I'd prefer to give him another year or two to see how he fits in.

Lebda - this picture sums up my feelings on the matter:

88fas.jpg

Komisarek - agreed - too much money, too little work.

Armstrong: disagreed - hard working, grind it out type that the leafs need more of, not less. Plus he's funny in interviews :D

polvCwJ.gif

But the question is, who's going to take them? Unless teams are REALLY desparate, like dealing with a bunch of injuries, I doubt they're gonna trade for them.

Kaberle, maybe.

But Giguere and Komisarek don't have much of a market IMO.

Staurolite.png

Wings signed Evgeni Nabokov to a one year contract. Looking forward to seeing him play, I don't know how good he is but looking at google images it looks like he's all over and doing crazy butterfly stuff.

Well, that wasn't too bad.

Kaberle - i can't decide. He's stuck around for so long, and been a key part of their team, he's not super expenisve. People argue that he's gotten worse, but really he's on pace for 50+ points which is as good as any year he's had, pretty much. Consistent for what he is, and on a team that lacks consistency...I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around.

Giguere - absolutely. Decent goalie, wayy too expensive - with decent depth in the marlies and Gustavsson capable (sometimes) I think he's unecessary.

Phaneuf - not the player he once was, for sure. You can't deny that he helps the team though, they do have a better record with him in the lineup than without. I'd prefer to give him another year or two to see how he fits in.

Lebda - this picture sums up my feelings on the matter:

88fas.jpg

Komisarek - agreed - too much money, too little work.

Armstrong: disagreed - hard working, grind it out type that the leafs need more of, not less. Plus he's funny in interviews :D

kaberle is getting old. he'd be a good trade come deadline when playoff teams are looking for some depth. plus he's the only sure thing that will get some decent offers. the only thing is his no-trade clause

armstrong is getting paid too much for what he does. i'd rather keep macarthur who'll be making 2x+ more on his new contract if he stays with the leafs (hopefully)

and phaneuf, sure he helps, but i put that more on the fact that the leafs' d line is garbage and him being average. he's easily replaceable and if a team makes a decent offer? get rid of him

i really think the leafs needs BIG changes. not small replacements here and there while you're waiting out players like phaneuf to "fit" because if the team is garbage and you're putting in one good player at a time, that new player just kind of blends in with the rest of them and then becomes garbage (ie kessel)

kaberle is getting old. he'd be a good trade come deadline when playoff teams are looking for some depth. plus he's the only sure thing that will get some decent offers. the only thing is his no-trade clause

yeah, but considering he's the best point producer (by far) on an already offense struggling blue line...I think beauchemin would be a better trade option.

armstrong is getting paid too much for what he does. i'd rather keep macarthur who'll be making 2x+ more on his new contract if he stays with the leafs (hopefully)

With the cap space the leafs have, they can keep both :P Although perhaps a new contract for armstrong would be a little less.

and phaneuf, sure he helps, but i put that more on the fact that the leafs' d line is garbage and him being average. he's easily replaceable and if a team makes a decent offer? get rid of him

I guess...when's his contract up? He should be making less, definitely...but if they can resign him for less I think it'd be worth it.

i really think the leafs needs BIG changes. not small replacements here and there while you're waiting out players like phaneuf to "fit" because if the team is garbage and you're putting in one good player at a time, that new player just kind of blends in with the rest of them and then becomes garbage (ie kessel)

Kessel's not garbage...he's still really young and he's on pace for a 30+ goal season, which is about what was expected of him. Yeah, he's not great, but I think people have over-hyped expectations. Let's see how he does with a good centre as well(hopefully they'll be able to get one)

polvCwJ.gif

leafs needs a solid shut down line before worrying about an offensive blue line. you can't expect the leafs to pull a 180 in the standings if you're not willing to get rid of the major players, it just doesn't make sense.

kessel is garbage for what he was traded for. i've never seen any of his play that made me think "that guy is worth 2 first round picks" but i'm not saying trade him. might as well keep him now that he's here

also let gustavsson be the #1 next season and see what he does. i'm interested on how he'll perform with full confidence that he won't lose his job. if he fails, no big deal because leafs get first round pick back

I kinda agree with gustavsson..maybe more if it was thsi year though. I don't think we want them scraping the bottom of the standings yet another year after this one.

polvCwJ.gif

We don't want to be too low in the standings this year, either, though. I would rather finish at the bottom next year when Boston doesn't get our first pick.

Also, MacArthur has already said he would love a long-term contract with the Leafs. So it's really just up to Burke as to whether he stays or not. And Burke isn't an idiot, he'll keep that entire line if he can do it for the right price.

I really think he should keep that line. All three do have good trade value, but he's not going to get anything more than what they are already - and since they have that great chemistry it makes sense to keep them.

polvCwJ.gif

And the leafs call up Reimer again. Interesting....

Gustavsson's been playing like total [cabbage]. I think he's the best goalie the leafs have when he's on his game...but man he's so inconsistent. Hopefully they give Reimer a few games at least.

polvCwJ.gif