The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Minny has lost a lot though in the past seasons. They lost gaborik to free agency, fernandez to boston, and cap space has forced them to use interesting players in their top lines. They're almost exactly like the avalanche, minus the fact that the avalanche played it smart in picking goalies (I mean c'mon, craig anderson has to be one of the top 3 best overall goaltenders in the nhl over the past 5 years).

div>

Does anybody actually play hockey, specifically goalie? I'm looking for ideas for places to get relatively cheap [goalie] equipment, besides craigslist?

Candian tire won't be as good a deal is play it again - can tire doesn't sell used and with goalie equipment used is often better than new anyways, just because it's broken in (not as many rebounds).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I actually preferred using new to used for those specific rebounds. Rebounds can be strategic, well, that and my league sucked when I played (had 9 consecutive shutouts to open my first season...)

div>

Not a fan of that Versteeg trade at all...I'll wait for further analysis but at the moment it seems very one sided.

The way philly's been playing, it might as well have been a second and a fourth instead of a first and a third...and any player who goes 29th first round needs at least a marlies year (or more, look at khadri) so that trade effectively set us back two years. Then again, if hanson is ready to play in the nhl, I guess that evens things out a bit.

Sorry to hear Forsberg retired as well, but still...I guess it's in his best interest. Favourite swedish player besides sundin :(

polvCwJ.gif

Feedback so far is that the leafs seem to be looking at a longer rebuild then they originally thought (basically trading beachemin for gardiner, and now this). Still, not impressed at all....

Oh well though, rather him than MacArthur. If they trade [bleep]ing macarthur I'm going to start cheering for Nashville.

Another rumour is that the first + kaberle will go for a centre - which is fine as long as the centre is > 26.

polvCwJ.gif

Kinda sad to see that forsberg retired, even though he prolonged it kinda. Versteeg for 2 draft picks, possibly the best option for the leafs. Now all they gotta do is trade jiggy to a team like edmonton for 2 more draft picks, and then the leafs will finally have a 'future'.

div>

@faux agreed. Don't really like this deal, although I do agree that Versteeg wasn't meshing all that well.

I'd have preferred a first, third and a prospect...I hope giguere goes as well but I don't see it being for two picks, much less two firsts.

Interested to see what happens with kaberle, as always...

polvCwJ.gif

Edmonton needs a better goalie than they have now though. They've been the revolving door of using sub-par goalies ever since they lost to carolina in the stanly cup finals. I could easily see giguere going for a 3rd and a 4th, and as for kaberle, if toronto was smart then they'd trade him over to either vancouver or san jose and get one of their power forwards...

div>

Well, a 7th round pick (conditional) for voros. Not really an important trade, but if the leafs don't bother resigning him they keep the pick....don't know what anaheim really gains from this at all, unless it's a salary dump.

polvCwJ.gif

I guess Ana just wanted Voros outa there. Meh, Burke probably stocking up AHL'ers to call up Marlies once he trades some roster players.

Also, Edm has not had sub-par goalies. Roloson was and still is a beast. Khabi hasn't won much, but you can't really blame him with the way the D is playing in front of him. Dubby has been doing pretty well given the circumstances. I wouldn't say Edm will trade for Giggy, let alone with picks. Tambellini understands the goal is not to trade away picks, and instead the goal is to obtain more picks to have a better chance of getting quality young players. Something that Burke fails to understand.

Staurolite.png

What is with edmonton fans and this "burke fails to understand" attitude? Burke doesn't fail to understand anything - he's always stressed that the rebuild process he wants to go through is not a traditional one.

But yeah, ana trade is good. Basically a free player unless they resign and even then a 7th isn't much.

polvCwJ.gif

burke just thought the team needed some pieces and it was good enough to compete. that's the biggest mistake he made

i like his trades so far this month. i think versteeg was brought in to be a top 6, not play in the 3rd line

i've been hearing a tor-bos trade involving kaberle and wheeler. wheeler is alright, but this guy isn't always there. i don't know if he's the top line centre we're looking for and i'm sort of worried

Agreed versteeg didn't fit. I do still think he could have gotten more than the picks though.

And man, what a good time for kessel to break out. Great goals by grabo as well, and of course two assists by lupul.

polvCwJ.gif

What is with edmonton fans and this "burke fails to understand" attitude? Burke doesn't fail to understand anything - he's always stressed that the rebuild process he wants to go through is not a traditional one.

But yeah, ana trade is good. Basically a free player unless they resign and even then a 7th isn't much.

Ok, but IMO he's making a mistake trading draft picks away. But hey, it's a 7th rounder, guess it doesn't matter that much.

And that goal by Grabs was GOOOOOOOD. At least Burke did a good thing keeping Grabs and Kuli and also stealing MacArthur :thumbup:

And 4sk, Horton's on Boston last time I checked. And I doubt Kaberle would waive his no-trade to go to a non-contender.

Staurolite.png

Check out the western conference standings, lol....

From 4th to 8th, all five teams with 68 points each, with LA at 67, Minny at 65, Chicago at 64, and CBJ at 62. LA, MIN, CHI, and CBJ all have 3 games in hand against the Flames, and 1 game in hand against every other team except Nashville.

This is just crazy :shock:

Staurolite.png