The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Yup. He's one of Pittsburgh's best PKers so that'll hurt them in the playoffs for sure...if their PK is bad and they get eliminated, I could see them buying him out.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

To be fair, jersey has performed well with different goalies. Remember the one season where brodeur was injured for 90% of it, and clemmenson took over? Was the first time in 16yrs where brodeur didn't have the most wins as a jersey goaltender. Mind you, it stinks they got rid of clemmenson though, seeing as he would've been the perfect goalie after brodeur retired. I can't wait to see what happens next season though, seeing as the devils will probably need to get rid of a bunch of players for cap space. Should be interesting playoff-wise though, seeing as it's scheduled to be (should the standings remain...) Stamkos vs crosby in the first round.

div>

Damnit what is wrong with Minnesota...

Outshoot an opponent like 10/82 games and can't even win those! And Oilers lose woohoo! Tough time to be a hockey fan right now...

But lol, I feel sorry for leafs fans, Habs and Sens fail once again.

It feels like whenever you win, the teams you're chasing wins too. And whenever you lose, they win some more! Same feeling I had with Minny a couple weeks ago when we were in the race. It's just so frustrating, you never seem to gain any ground.

Staurolite.png

Outshoot an opponent like 10/82 games and can't even win those! And Oilers lose woohoo! Tough time to be a hockey fan right now...

It feels like whenever you win, the teams you're chasing wins too. And whenever you lose, they win some more! Same feeling I had with Minny a couple weeks ago when we were in the race. It's just so frustrating, you never seem to gain any ground.

Indeed. Nice to keep the pace though at least.

polvCwJ.gif

Indeed. Nice to keep the pace though at least.

Yes -- thanks to "Optimus Reim" ...

*giggles*

I had to laugh when they showed that on TSN Sportsdesk ...

:lol:

nyuseg.png

My friend has had a picture of that as his profile picture on facebook for at least a month. I love it. Optimus Reim... great nickname as long as he plays well.

It is pretty epic, even though I'm not a Leafs fan, I still love it!

nyuseg.png

Cooke deserved it. What a [bleep]ing idiot he is.

I agree. Judging by the video, it wasn't exactly unintentional either.

Honestly -- it's time to take guys like that out of the league. That kind of crap has no place in hockey. Period.

nyuseg.png

Cooke deserved it. What a [bleep]ing idiot he is.

I agree. Judging by the video, it wasn't exactly unintentional either.

Honestly -- it's time to take guys like that out of the league. That kind of crap has no place in hockey. Period.

I agree. I don't think the NHl really cares though - easy to slap a suspension on a guy like Cooke who nobody likes and is a repeat offender. If they really cared, Heatley/marchand would have got 5+ games each.

@faux: I agree, I don't think they'll make it either. They need to play a complete season, not half of one.

Optimus Reim is great, Optimist Reim is better :D

polvCwJ.gif

Lol...optimus reim. He can block those evil decepti-pucks, but only for half the season. leafs realistically have only an 8% chance to make the playoffs, and that's if carolina/buffalo lose their next 2. Kinda interesting though if you listen to the rumors. Apparently the devils have a huuuge trade planned for the end of the season, which involves sending zubrus and 1 prospect over to the kings for one of their backup goalies. Just shows how much belief they have in martin brett-eur...I mean bret brod-favre...I mean, that guy.

div>

Meh, I expect brodeur to last for roughly 2/3rds of next season, before succumbing to some sort of injury. Facts are though: without a decent goalie, the devils are literally the equivalent of the vancouver team pre-luongo. Worst mistake that the devils made though (besides kovy): getting rid of clemmenson, and replacing him with hedberg. If they had only kept him for this season, the devils may have actually been in playoff contention.

div>

Meh, I expect brodeur to last for roughly 2/3rds of next season, before succumbing to some sort of injury. Facts are though: without a decent goalie, the devils are literally the equivalent of the vancouver team pre-luongo. Worst mistake that the devils made though (besides kovy): getting rid of clemmenson, and replacing him with hedberg. If they had only kept him for this season, the devils may have actually been in playoff contention.

Two things.

Firstly - stop double posting.

Secondly - Hedberg has played quite well - indeed his GAA and sv% this year are both better then Clemmenson.

polvCwJ.gif

Yguy, question: if brodeur up and suddenly retired today, who would you trust as your number one goalie for jersey? A guy who has never been/never should be a number one in hedberg? Or a guy who has been a number one on multiple teams, and has taken teams into the playoffs in clemmenson. This year, hedberg's gaa and sv% may be higher, but taking a look at the teams they play for, it is really no surprise. Facts are, if hedberg was a goalie for any other team besides jersey, he'd be 4-20 and/or be on waivers by now.

div>

Yguy, question: if brodeur up and suddenly retired today, who would you trust as your number one goalie for jersey? A guy who has never been/never should be a number one in hedberg? Or a guy who has been a number one on multiple teams, and has taken teams into the playoffs in clemmenson. This year, hedberg's gaa and sv% may be higher, but taking a look at the teams they play for, it is really no surprise. Facts are, if hedberg was a goalie for any other team besides jersey, he'd be 4-20 and/or be on waivers by now.

You do realize hedberg has been playing for them all year, not just the past two months?

And @ fast - too true. Looking forward to boston vs. mtl tomorrow night? :P

polvCwJ.gif

I think that kinda proves my point yguy. Had clemmenson been brodeur's backup, then they would've had a more reliable person to turn to when things were looking bad in the start of the season. Instead, hedberg follows suit, further sinking the team and all the people in it.

div>

My point is that his .922 save percentage has come from the entire season. It's better than Clemmenson's - with a team that was much worse during the first half season.

polvCwJ.gif

Lol...optimus reim. He can block those evil decepti-pucks, but only for half the season. leafs realistically have only an 8% chance to make the playoffs, and that's if carolina/buffalo lose their next 2. Kinda interesting though if you listen to the rumors. Apparently the devils have a huuuge trade planned for the end of the season, which involves sending zubrus and 1 prospect over to the kings for one of their backup goalies. Just shows how much belief they have in martin brett-eur...I mean bret brod-favre...I mean, that guy.

LMAO! You are on FIRE! :lol:

Marty's got old very fast. We saw his decline at the Olympics, and it's just not improved from there.

It's time for him to hang 'em. It's been a great (hall-of-fame) career -- even with the human growth hormones ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Something tells me he's gonna try to favre it up though. Maybe play like 2-3 games during the 2012/13 season, then say he's gonna retire, then not actually do it until 3 season later. Mind you, if jersey plays it right, then they could have 2 good goalies by then (assuming the zubrus deal gets done/they trade hedberg). Anyone else heard the reports coming out of florida though? Apparently vokoun wants out of there, fast. Should be interesting come july 1st though (9 ufa goalies, and 12 teams still looking for a number one...13 if vokoun gets traded).

div>

Anderson become an ufa july 1st though, which questions why they got rid of elliot when he still has 1yr left on his contract. I'd be up for predicting this though:

Conklin signs with sens

Sens resign anderson/make him number one

Vokoun signs with blues

Giguere either goes to russia/sweden, or signs with florida for cheap

Devils get rid of hedberg/trade him for joselyn thibault

Or at least, this is the setup that makes the most sense if you consider salary caps/what the teams need. As for toronto, expect them to possibly pick up one of the ufa goalies I didn't mention. Mind you, if they picked up one, then they'd be only signing'm to a 1yr deal.

div>