The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

Anderson become an ufa july 1st though, which questions why they got rid of elliot when he still has 1yr left on his contract. I'd be up for predicting this though:

Conklin signs with sens

Sens resign anderson/make him number one

Vokoun signs with blues

Giguere either goes to russia/sweden, or signs with florida for cheap

Devils get rid of hedberg/trade him for joselyn thibault

Or at least, this is the setup that makes the most sense if you consider salary caps/what the teams need. As for toronto, expect them to possibly pick up one of the ufa goalies I didn't mention. Mind you, if they picked up one, then they'd be only signing'm to a 1yr deal.

They resigned Anderson already. I don't see TO picking up a UFA goalie - the only one that would really make sense is Bryz and Burke has already said that's not happening.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Decided to do a little look-see and find a list of this year's UFA goalies and found this list:

goaliesufa2011-thumb-250x664-15114.jpg?w=250&h=664.

I cannot see the Leafs going for any of the first 4. Roloson is OLD. Osgood is just about done now, I think (and rightfully on his way to the hall-of fame).

I think Garon might be a good fit for the Leafs though ...

nyuseg.png

You can scratch the 2 detroit goalies off that list too. Only way they'd give up them is if they knew they were getting nabokov. I'd actually love to see ersberg play for toronto. After all, judging by what they did to pogge, it'd be good to see another new goalie get hung out to dr....I mean, play well!

div>

Going back to the raycroft deal, you can see that they have no faith in young goalies, yet still get them for some reason. They brought in raycroft by trading a pick (which was used for rask), and raycroft did worse that season than rask. They then bring pogge up, and rather than let him play half the season, they use toskala, who effectively does worse than pogge (percentage-wise). They then use another pick and get gustavvson, and rather than putting their faith with him/let him play half the season, they get giguere who, yet again does worse than the rookie. You can see where I'm going with this: if toronto wants to have a shot at having a 'good goalie', then they need to stop putting faith into rusty tools, and instead test out the newer 'brands'.

div>

Giguere was a necessary aquisition at the time - gustavsson wasn't ready (and may still not be) to be a starter. But I see them taking your advice next year, and sticking with Reimer/Gustavsson. The good thing is as well, that both Rynass and Scrivens have been playing well for the marlies so in the event either Reimer or Gustavsson turns out to be a bust they've got some backup.

polvCwJ.gif

Next year is do or die for toronto in general. Fans have waited 8 years for them to make the playoffs, I don't think they can wait 1 more year. Mind you, if they go after one of the ufa's, then they'll be doomed in general (seeing as only maybe 4 of them are actually good /conklin,howard,osgood,ersberg/

div>

Next year is do or die for toronto in general. Fans have waited 8 years for them to make the playoffs, I don't think they can wait 1 more year. Mind you, if they go after one of the ufa's, then they'll be doomed in general (seeing as only maybe 4 of them are actually good /conklin,howard,osgood,ersberg/

Wings resigned howard and osgood is too old. I don't see conklin being good enough to make it worth the leafs giving up on goose or reimer. Next year isn't do or die for TO at all..what do you think is going to happen? Fans aren't going to stop going to the games.

@faux: agreed. If he doesn't pan out over next year he'll be gone.

polvCwJ.gif

i've been lurking this thread for a while, and i must say, it's cool to see some passionate hockey fans around here. i don't recall any discussion of sports on this forum back when i was posting on my old account. so, are there any canucks fans around? :razz:

O_Luka.png

O_Luka.png

Yguy, take a look at the shareholders. The main share holder (the teacher's union) is already thinking of selling their shares because the general consensus (according to practically everyone), is that tml has virtually no chance of doing anything good now, or in the next few years. Osgood still has a few good years left in'm, and as long as he continues these good numbers, the red wings probably couldn't care if he plays till 50. Truth be told, the leafs will never find a good goaltender so long as they continue to get them without making their offense/defense good first. Kinda a pity though, they always have high hopes in the people who play for toronto. Then all those hopes turn to inexplicable hatred when the person either does their best or gets traded.../cough, chris bosh, cough/

div>

i've been lurking this thread for a while, and i must say, it's cool to see some passionate hockey fans around here. i don't recall any discussion of sports on this forum back when i was posting on my old account. so, are there any canucks fans around? :razz:

Think we got a few :P Also your sig is too big...

Yguy, take a look at the shareholders. The main share holder (the teacher's union) is already thinking of selling their shares because the general consensus (according to practically everyone), is that tml has virtually no chance of doing anything good now, or in the next few years. Osgood still has a few good years left in'm, and as long as he continues these good numbers, the red wings probably couldn't care if he plays till 50. Truth be told, the leafs will never find a good goaltender so long as they continue to get them without making their offense/defense good first. Kinda a pity though, they always have high hopes in the people who play for toronto. Then all those hopes turn to inexplicable hatred when the person either does their best or gets traded.../cough, chris bosh, cough/

Lol. Teachers doesn't care about how the leafs do - they're selling because they have a funding shortfall. The raptors and leafs also aren't the same - most people were actually sad to see Kaba go for instance.

this game was so exciting haha. makes me want to dance

9BRy7.gif

Indeed. Great game for Reimer(can't say any of those goals were his fault). Pity Kulemin didn't get the hat trick.

But seriously, I don't think anyone pictured the leafs having three thirty goal scorers at the end of this season (which may well happen). Kessel - obviously. Grabovski...not too long of a shot. But Kulemin? Probably the most underrated player on the leafs.

polvCwJ.gif

Yguy, take a look at the shareholders. The main share holder (the teacher's union) is already thinking of selling their shares because the general consensus (according to practically everyone), is that tml has virtually no chance of doing anything good now, or in the next few years.

I think you're way off base there -- the Teacher's Union doesn't give a rodent's backside if the Leafs win or lose. They only care about the bottom line and, right now, the Teacher's Union own bottom line is not faring so well. The Leafs are a cash cow. Win or lose, the fans still come -- and that is mainly because Toronto is a one-trick pony when it comes to sports teams. The Argos and Blue Jays don't get a fraction of the attention that the Leafs get. Practically everyone in Toronto is a Leafs fan -- or a closet Leafs Fan -- and that's because they got a monopoly on the sweetest hockey market in the world. A market with the Leafs are never going to share with anyone until the NHL holds a gun to their head.

This is, of course, the "crux of the biscuit". The Leafs haven't had an unsold ticket since WW2 (1946+/-), and that trend isn't likely going to end any time soon. Sadly, the problem these days is that the vast majority of Leafs season ticket holders aren't even hockey fans, but rather corporate entities that have the tickets for incentive purposes. Which goes a long way to explaining why the ACC is mostly a grand beer gardens than an arena. Most of the people don't even pay attention to the game, because they;re too busy checking out their Blackberries and drinking beer. Meanwhile, the "real fans" without the tickets clamber about trying to get their hands on the few tickets that are still open for any given game.

In the long run, it means that, no matter how bad the Leafs play, they will always be profitable. There's very little incentive for the team to get a whole hell of a lot better because, win or lose, they will always have a fan-base that will come to games and pay ridiculous prices to watch them play.

Hell -- I'd wager that the Leafs likely make MORE money in merchandising that most teams do from ticket sales. Go to any arena in Canada and you will ALWAYS find someone in a Leafs jersey -- and I don't mean just an NHL rink. I mean ANY rink.

In the end,

Osgood still has a few good years left in'm, and as long as he continues these good numbers, the red wings probably couldn't care if he plays till 50.

I have a feeling that Ozzy will hang them up soon. He's been hurt a lot this year, and that for most goalies is usually a sign that it's time to stop playing. Ozzy is smart enough to know that.

Truth be told, the leafs will never find a good goaltender so long as they continue to get them without making their offense/defense good first.

In reality, Phil Kessel is the albatross around this franchise's neck. THAT trade was quite likely the worst trade ever made. It will make the Bruins a Cup contender (and likely a Cup winner within 2-3 years) and leave the Leafs scrambling for playoff spots for the next 10 years.

The Leafs have "some" young talent coming up, especially in net -- and Reimer's played well, there's no doubt about that. But in the end, you need some real solid goaltending to go a long way in this league. Reimer may be it - we won't know for a while yet. Gustavsson is a bust. Period. It was a big mistake to sign him in the first place. He hasn't the skills or the heart (literally) to play a full NHL season. They need to release him now and make room for the tenders they have who CAN do the job (of back up).

Jiggy's done. He's too old to command the kind of cash that he's being paid now, and he will be relegated to a back up position somewhere. I would not be surprised to see him remain unsigned till late in the summer, when his agent finally gets his finger out and realizes his client's not going to command top dollar any more.

I don't see the Leafs signing any "big names" in net. I think Garon might serve well as a back up at a reasonable price.

Meanwhile, the Leafs will have some cash room, I think to land a few free agents, and they need help up front for sure ...

nyuseg.png

I don't see how the Kessel trade was that bad. It entirely depends on how Tyler Seguin turns out - but at very least Kessel is an extremely talented player.

As for Gustavsson, I think the last thing they need to do is jump to conclusions that he isn't ready. Give him another year at least.

polvCwJ.gif

I don't see how the Kessel trade was that bad. It entirely depends on how Tyler Seguin turns out - but at very least Kessel is an extremely talented player.

The Kessel trade was awful. You gave up three (3) draft picks for one guy who scores 30 goals a year. Kessel is a 27M over 5 year salary cap hit to boot.

In three draft picks, you'll get more than 30 goals a year and take a far less cap hit over five years. Period.

Sure, Kessel may be a better player than Tyler Seguin this year. But is he better than Tyler Seguin, Player X and Player Y next year? Hell no. Will he be better than those three guys in 5 years time? Hell no.

Worst. Trade. Ever.

As for Gustavsson, I think the last thing they need to do is jump to conclusions that he isn't ready. Give him another year at least.

He's had two seasons. That's enough for EVERYONE to know that he's got a ticky heart and can't smother a rebound to save his life. He's not an NHL goalie. Period. Helll, he's not even an AHL or ECHL goalie. He's a European league quality tender where they play 30 games a year and he sits for half of those.

nyuseg.png

The kessel trade was actually pretty bad (mind you, I didn't focus on it too much due to the other bad deals they made which together, were collectively worse). I mean, c'mon. If you trade a first round pick, then trade it to a team in the west, and not in your own conference. Trading the bruins a pick only makes it tougher for the leafs themselves to get into the playoffs. Gustavvson could've done so much better if they had trained'm right and left'm in the minors for 2-3 years. Instead, they bring him up too early, and expect his 'rookie-ish' skill to hold up against other, well seasoned teams? I honestly feel bad for him. If only they had left'm in the minors, maybe then, he would've become the goalie they wanted.

div>

i don't know. the more i watch kessel the more i think he'll be able to pot 40 goals/yr with a good line, especially a real centre

he's about to go on his 3rd season of 30 or more goals and he did it this year with AHLers. he has more points than his linemates combined

anyway, didn't we decide seguin is a bust? (kidding)

i don't know. the more i watch kessel the more i think he'll be able to pot 40 goals/yr with a good line, especially a real centre

he's about to go on his 3rd season of 30 or more goals and he did it this year with AHLers. he has more points than his linemates combined

anyway, didn't we decide seguin is a bust? (kidding)

Even if Kessel pots 40 goals a season (which he's NEVER done) -- is he better than three players playing for 2/3rds of his salary?

Hell no. :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

he had 36 goals in 70 games as a 21 yr old. unless you're telling me he peaked when he was 21, he can do better than that. he's also a PPG guy in the playoffs he played for the bruins, so he shows up for important games and doesn't choke.

i don't like kessel as much as other leaf fans, but i'll still give him credit. he's a very good goal scorer. he's fast, with an even faster release. just get him playing in a real line. i hated that trade, but it doesn't mean leafs were completely robbed.

and yes, 5.4M for a 40 goal scorer isn't an overpayment, at all - i know he's not a 40 goal scorer, but just answering your question.

he had 36 goals in 70 games as a 21 yr old. unless you're telling me he peaked when he was 21, he can do better than that. he's also a PPG guy in the playoffs he played for the bruins, so he shows up for important games and doesn't choke.

i don't like kessel as much as other leaf fans, but i'll still give him credit. he's a very good goal scorer. he's fast, with an even faster release. just get him playing in a real line.

and yes, 5.4M for a 40 goal scorer isn't an overpayment, at all - i know he's not a 40 goal scorer, but just answering your question.

No - you're not answering my question -- you're avoiding it.

Here is my question again: Is Phil Kessel worth THREE PLAYERS (a #1 pick in 2010, a #2 pick in 2010, and #1 pick in 2011) who will play for 2/3rds his salary?

The answer you're looking for, BTW, is "Hell. No!"

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

i'm not avoiding anything. i have yet to see knight play, seguin's been meh this year compared to other rookies, and i have no idea who they'll draft this year.

3 potential busts > proven goal scorer? i don't care if they'll each play for 1M/yr, what matters is if any of them pan out to be as valuable as kessel.