The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

I can't see Crawford getting the Calder -- it's damn hard for a goalie to break that "glass barrier", especially when there's other rookies who are achieving good stats in the same year ...

<_<

nyuseg.png

Well, I guess we'll see. Personal pick is Skinner.

Interesting that neither Hall nor Seguin were ever seriously considered for it as well.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Well, in the longrun, hype never really helps your chances at winning the calder. That and their teams were already good/cruddy, meaning that their talents were practically unnoticed (if you stick a grain of rice in a jar of marbles, the marbles tend to get noticed more than the rice).

div>

Personally, I think, with a bit of bias lol, that if Hall wasn't injured, he'd be in the Calder race for sure. He could very likely have hit 30 goals and 50-60 points ish, which is pretty damn good for a rookie in this time.

Staurolite.png

Personally, I think, with a bit of bias lol, that if Hall wasn't injured, he'd be in the Calder race for sure. He could very likely have hit 30 goals and 50-60 points ish, which is pretty damn good for a rookie in this time.

Projecting full seasons based on their totals give hall 53 points and skinner 62 - and skinner is a plus player as well. Although, that's probably more of a product of their respective teams then anything..

Calgary can't catch any breaks eh? They win tonight but so does Chicago...

polvCwJ.gif

Meh, calgary shouldn't get any breaks. They split up their best duo at the start of the season (phaneuf/iginla), then immediately start to skid. They are in essense, the complete opposite of the leafs (if you factor in giguere).

div>

They got rid of phaneuf during the off-season. Mind you, going after jokinen was their biggest mistake (seeing as the only real record that he held was the 'most seasons playing without being in the playoffs' one).

div>

They got rid of phaneuf during the off-season. Mind you, going after jokinen was their biggest mistake (seeing as the only real record that he held was the 'most seasons playing without being in the playoffs' one).

Trade deadline, last season ;) http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308469

polvCwJ.gif

Good win tonight. Kessel gets his 30th (third year in a row now, only 8 players currently active with 3 consecutive 30 or more goal seasons in a row)

polvCwJ.gif

^ That is indeed very impressive. I can't believe that the leafs are actually doing this right now lol, hope they can run the rest of the games.

Something else impressive, Oilers won!!! Against Vancouver lol, and Omark was a beast. Screw Kelly Hrudey.

Staurolite.png

Yeah, good win for the oil. Still can't see TO actually making it, but like I said before, at least it's fun to watch!

Just came back from a marlies game, and I gotta say...the kaberle deal was a freaking steal for toronto. A first, a second, and Joe colbourne? Watched him today, played extremely well, skilled, big, tough...and a center. Exactly what the leafs need.

polvCwJ.gif

Just browsed the last couple pages so I won't even pretend to have an opinion on everything.

For Calder, I'd say Skinner. Had Hall not put himself on the IR for the rest of the season in his first career NHL fight, he would have been in the running as well.

For the Leafs, ... can't believe they're stretching it out as long as they are. But the odds of them getting their final 6 points while Carolina and NY drop the rest of their games aren't looking very nice.

For the Canucks, hopefully the loss to Edmonton is them working out the Presidents Cup jitters before they get down to it. I'm looking forward to a lengthy playoff run. As far as exercising old demons (in the name of Chicago) I'm not too concerned. Obviously the core of the team is still there from last year, but it was the style of play brought by Ladd and Byfuglien that caused the Canucks such woe. With them gone, it's simply a game of containing Chicago's offense. As a Vancouver fan, I'm more intimidated by Anaheim. Regardless of the first round draws, I'm crossing my fingers and wishing for a Canucks vs. Wings series if it comes to it. The season series between them has been sensational. Couldn't imagine them in a full playoff series. It'd be a real treat for any hockey fan to see.

Slack_Tide.png

Just browsed the last couple pages so I won't even pretend to have an opinion on everything.

For Calder, I'd say Skinner. Had Hall not put himself on the IR for the rest of the season in his first career NHL fight, he would have been in the running as well.

For the Leafs, ... can't believe they're stretching it out as long as they are. But the odds of them getting their final 6 points while Carolina and NY drop the rest of their games aren't looking very nice.

For the Canucks, hopefully the loss to Edmonton is them working out the Presidents Cup jitters before they get down to it. I'm looking forward to a lengthy playoff run. As far as exercising old demons (in the name of Chicago) I'm not too concerned. Obviously the core of the team is still there from last year, but it was the style of play brought by Ladd and Byfuglien that caused the Canucks such woe. With them gone, it's simply a game of containing Chicago's offense. As a Vancouver fan, I'm more intimidated by Anaheim. Regardless of the first round draws, I'm crossing my fingers and wishing for a Canucks vs. Wings series if it comes to it. The season series between them has been sensational. Couldn't imagine them in a full playoff series. It'd be a real treat for any hockey fan to see.

Canucks will be a treat to watch whoever they play methinks.

Yeah, the leafs won't make the playoffs, but at this point it's more because buf/car/nyr are playing well then anything. The leafs won 6 of their last 7, I could see them winning all of the last three as well. But it wouldn't help anyway. If NYR beats BOS tonight, they can't catch up - and BUF can only get to 90. If BUF gets 90 we do beat them there though (we have the season series).

polvCwJ.gif

Well, if the leafs played it right, then they could be 'pick spoilers'. They theoretically control the order of the picks now (seeing as it all depends on where they finish). I'd love to see vancouver face anaheim/detroit in the playoffs. Maybe anaheim in the first round, detroit in 2nd, sj in the west finals? Seems weird though, as aside from bos vs mtl, the east playoffs don't seem that exciting.

div>

:sad: Yguy, Reimer looks like a legitimate goalie for the Leaf's future. It is too bad they did kinda tank during the first half though.

But truth be told, the future looks better than it did last season. I mean, 20 wins for Reimer in 34 games!

Also Oilers swept Van back to back!! Haha, I'm pretty happy, I hope they wipe the Flames tomorrow but lose to Minny on Friday :pray:

Staurolite.png

Well, they did kinda give up. The 'giving up' just happened during the first half of the season...

True. I meant near the end.

:sad: Yguy, Reimer looks like a legitimate goalie for the Leaf's future. It is too bad they did kinda tank during the first half though.

But truth be told, the future looks better than it did last season. I mean, 20 wins for Reimer in 34 games!

Also Oilers swept Van back to back!! Haha, I'm pretty happy, I hope they wipe the Flames tomorrow but lose to Minny on Friday :pray:

Hopefully Reimer/Gustavsson(if he's up to it) can split the #1 job next year. But yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to next season.

Yeah, epic wins by the oilers haha.

polvCwJ.gif

Naw, the leafs'll need another, decent goaltender if they ever hope of making the playoffs next year. If reimer gets injured, then gustavson will tank the team (provided he doesn't get traded during the post season).

div>