The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

You know what? I'm not even going to bother trying to argue with you. I've been fair and reasonable, and never claimed the majority of the things you're saying I did, but I know you don't care. You have these ideas in your head and no amount of reasonable argument will make you change them, so what's the point?

I post on this thread, and I want to talk about the leafs. Want to talk about other teams? Go ahead, no one's stopping you.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

... and you know what's hilarious? Truly hilarious? Kessel's stats are, career-wise so far, not even a GOOD as the greatest wash-out in NHL history: Alexander Daigle.

Ps. Oh really?

Stats after 5 seasons:

Daigle: 73 goals, 98 assists, -137

Kessel: 127 goals, 117 assists, -24

Now you're stooping to making up facts it seems.

polvCwJ.gif

New rule: yguy, to prevent your annoying -/b'ching/- whining, you are not allowed to reply to any post we make unless you actually defend a side for the whole thing, rather than defend it partially, then call us 'trolls' when you start losing.

Also an interesting fact: this thread is exactly like the leafs; it was slow to start, picked up a ton of speed after the deadline, and playoff-wise, this thread isn't in either.

div>

New rule: yguy, to prevent your annoying -/b'ching/- whining, you are not allowed to reply to any post we make unless you actually defend a side for the whole thing, rather than defend it partially, then call us 'trolls' when you start losing.

Also an interesting fact: this thread is exactly like the leafs; it was slow to start, picked up a ton of speed after the deadline, and playoff-wise, this thread isn't in either.

Well, actually that's what I've been doing. I've already gone over all of Blyaunte's points previously but she seems to think I've said a lot that I haven't.

polvCwJ.gif

So you agree that you've only been defending a side partially/whining when you start losing, rather than defend it fully. Yguy, this thread has many points. And like a circumcized porcupine, missing even one can prove fatal.

div>

No, I've been defending my point fully. Please, point me to something (prior to her last post) that I haven't fully defended. All her posts have been doing is putting words in my mouth.

polvCwJ.gif

Well, the whole gustavvson thing comes to mind. Your main goal on defending him was to try and prove that the leafs unquestionably need/should use him next season. Rather than defend it further, you go right back to kessel, a horse long since beaten with a stick in this thread.

div>

Well, the whole gustavvson thing comes to mind. Your main goal on defending him was to try and prove that the leafs unquestionably need/should use him next season. Rather than defend it further, you go right back to kessel, a horse long since beaten with a stick in this thread.

Uhh, no. That wasn't my point at all. All you're proving is that, like Blyaunte, you haven't read my posts.

polvCwJ.gif

Yguy - it's abundantly clear that either:

1. You know sweet [bleep] all about hockey; and/or

2. You're trolling.

You're either NOT listening or you're reading IMPAIRED. Considering the fact that you're a die-hard leafs fan, I'd wager on one over the other.

===--

Oh and gratz to Phil Kessel on his bestest season ever. Playing on the Leaf's second line against other team's secondary defensive pairings and matchups, he managed a whopping 60+ points this season while amassing the 869th WORST +/- rating in the NHL. 869th against secondary level players.

Wow! You're right Yguy Kessel is a [bleep]ing superstar!

What a maroon ... :rolleyes:

869th worst +/- ...

Seriously do you even understand what that means? It means that every time Kessel steps on the ice he is a LIABILITY. Period. A $5.4M per season cap-hit liability.

It means that, despite amassing 60+ points this year he still managed to give-up MORE goals against him than he GENERATED. There's 868 guys in the NHL, the vast majority of them making less money, who aren't as big a LIABILITY as Phil Kessel.

... and you know what's hilarious? Truly hilarious? Kessel's stats are, career-wise so far, not even a GOOD as the greatest wash-out in NHL history: Alexander Daigle.

... and somehow, you can sit there and pretend that we "cannot" know if three top picks would pan out as better hockey players than the 869th liability in the NHL this season ...

Seriously?

:lol:

Lol do you understand hockey.... and how +/- is counted?? Do YOU know bleep about hockey?? Power play goals don't count for plus/minus, D'oh!!!

+/- is nothing. Using you logic:

Hey Nic Lidstrom is a -3 this season, OMFGGGG he was a liability every time he was on the ice?! Amirite? Of course I'm right, because I'm using Blyaunte's logic.

Gosh, stop trolling please.

Staurolite.png

There are a lot of great players in the league this year with negative +/-. It doesn't automatically make them bad. (as I've already said several times)

Eric Staal, Matt Duche, Martin St. Louis, Patrick Marleau, Henrick Zetterberg, John Tavares, Illya Kovalchuk, the list goes on and on.

polvCwJ.gif

Yguy - it's abundantly clear that either:

1. You know sweet [bleep] all about hockey; and/or

2. You're trolling.

You're either NOT listening or you're reading IMPAIRED. Considering the fact that you're a die-hard leafs fan, I'd wager on one over the other.

===--

Oh and gratz to Phil Kessel on his bestest season ever. Playing on the Leaf's second line against other team's secondary defensive pairings and matchups, he managed a whopping 60+ points this season while amassing the 869th WORST +/- rating in the NHL. 869th against secondary level players.

Wow! You're right Yguy Kessel is a [bleep]ing superstar!

What a maroon ... :rolleyes:

869th worst +/- ...

Seriously do you even understand what that means? It means that every time Kessel steps on the ice he is a LIABILITY. Period. A $5.4M per season cap-hit liability.

It means that, despite amassing 60+ points this year he still managed to give-up MORE goals against him than he GENERATED. There's 868 guys in the NHL, the vast majority of them making less money, who aren't as big a LIABILITY as Phil Kessel.

... and somehow, you can sit there and pretend that we "cannot" know if three top picks would pan out as better hockey players than the 869th liability in the NHL this season ...

Seriously?

Lol do you understand hockey.... and how +/- is counted?? Do YOU know bleep about hockey?? Power play goals don't count for plus/minus, D'oh!!!

+/- is nothing. Using you logic:

Hey Nic Lidstrom is a -3 this season, OMFGGGG he was a liability every time he was on the ice?! Amirite? Of course I'm right, because I'm using Blyaunte's logic.

Gosh, stop trolling please.

Who's trolling now? Seriously? Lidstrom's CAREER +/- is +428.

But he's getting old now (40) and it's showing. -3 and 62 points is GREAT for an old guy -- but, you know, he's OLD -- and he's not the asset he used to be. As such, he IS a liability on the ice -- just nowhere near the liability that Kessel is ...

... AND Detroit didn't trade their future for Lidstrom ...

But, of course, you missed THAT point because, when it comes to hockey you don't know your backside from your elbow. :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Ok, and Kessel's young. Quite young, still has a lot to learn. What's your excuse for the other players I mentioned?

I'm sorry - for which of those players did ANY of their teams give up three (3) draft picks? Obviously, you've MISSED the entire point.

Oh -- and the only one in that group you listed with a comparable +/- to Kessel's is Kovalchuk (-26) and Tavares (-15). It's already widely consented that Jersey royally screwed the pooch by signing Kovalchuk. His defensive liabilities are widely known, but Jersey seems to think they can work him into their system. For the money they're spending on him, one should hope so.

Tavares is a young kid playing for a young squad. It's only a matter of time before the Islanders start to have better seasons -- provided that their management doesn't screw the pooch again. THAT team is still suffering from the long-term idiocy that was the Di Pietro contract (what were they thinking?!?!?!?)

Of the other players you mentioned, the only ones with a +/- that's not (-1) or (-2) is Staal's. If the Leafs had traded 3 picks for Staal, they'd still have made a drastic mistake -- however, at least Staal would be the team leader they need and not some one-way playing loafer.

That said NOT ONE of these guys was acquired by their respective teams, by giving up their entire future for any of these guys. NOT ONE.

... and you continue, time and again, to miss the obvious point.

Obvious point is obvious, unless you're a Leafs fan. :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Ok, and Kessel's young. Quite young, still has a lot to learn. What's your excuse for the other players I mentioned?

Tavares is a young kid playing for a young squad. It's only a matter of time before the Islanders start to have better seasons -- provided that their management doesn't screw the pooch again. THAT team is still suffering from the long-term idiocy that was the Di Pietro contract (what were they thinking?!?!?!?)

Young player, playing for young team, having bad season? Sounds like Kessel.

Of the other players you mentioned, the only ones with a +/- that's not (-1) or (-2) is Staal's. If the Leafs had traded 3 picks for Staal, they'd still have made a drastic mistake -- however, at least Staal would be the team leader they need and not some one-way playing loafer.

That said NOT ONE of these guys was acquired by their respective teams, by giving up their entire future for any of these guys. NOT ONE.

... and you continue, time and again, to miss the obvious point.

Obvious point is obvious, unless you're a Leafs fan. :rolleyes:

I didn't know Tyler Sequin and mystery box was the leafs whole future. Oh, you're correct though. Schenn, Aulie, Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner, Kulemin, Grabovski - all going nowhere.

polvCwJ.gif

Schenn, Aulie, Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner, Kulemin, Grabovski - all going nowhere.

Finally -- we agree about something.

Its ironic – really – because they ARE going NOWHERE.

They're going to do little more than produce modest stats for a team that will be lucky to achieve 8th place for 3 of the next 5-10 years.

In the meantime, the other teams that took their lumps and finished low in the standings, bided their time and made careful scouting and obtained draft picks – draft picks they haven't thrown away on a player who's +/- is, frankly, frightening – these teams will make slow and consistent progress towards a Stanley Cup Final berth.

After Schenn, Aulie, Kadri, Colborne, Gardiner, Kulemin and Grabovski have all either signed off with better teams, or been dumped for poor performance – there will be other teams that will have made, and won Stanley Cups, and the Leafs will be anothe decade without so much as a Stanley Cup berth.

nyuseg.png

I know the future

Ok, good luck with that.

Here's a little picture you might find interesting - its of some stats of a player who's "going nowhere".

kulemin.png

polvCwJ.gif

I know the future

Ok, good luck with that.

Here's a little picture you might find interesting - its of some stats of a player who's "going nowhere".

kulemin.png

You're hilarious. Honestly -- you really are. You have no concept whatsoever of what a "team" means, and all that it implies. You've got a load of middling players on a team without bona fide leadership or high quality future stars, and now you're trying to equate this same P.O.S. Leafs team with the Red Wings powerhouse that Datsyuk joined -- that had Yzerman, Fedorov, Hull, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Larionov, Holmstrom, Robitaille, Chelios, and Schneider and had won a Stanley Cup when Datsyuk was 23.

Not to mention that Datsyuk is a TWO-WAY player. To suggest that Kulemin is going to produce anything even in the same neighbourhood of Datsyuk is delusional.

Seriously Yguy -- you really need some perspective.

Stop it already. You're embarrassing yourself.

nyuseg.png

Where did I say I was equating the leafs to the wings? They're nothing alike.

I'm equating Kulemin to Datsyuk. If you actually watched leafs games you'd know that Kulemin is the best two way forward they have, and most underrated.

Forgive me for showing you stats that don't support your misconceptions.

polvCwJ.gif

I'm equating Kulemin to Datsyuk. If you actually watched leafs games you'd know that Kulemin is the best two way forward they have, and most underrated.

You're forgiven in believing that you can compare the stats of any two players and find them to mean anything. :rolleyes:

And, once again, you missed the POINT.

Datsyuk had legendary HALL OF FAME mentors -- including Igor Larionov, Sergei Fedorov and Steve Yzerman.

Who the [bleep] is going to mentor Kulemin? Really? Phil Kessel? :lol:

You're off your nut.

nyuseg.png

You're forgiven in believing that you can compare the stats of any two players and find them to mean anything. :rolleyes:

Datsyuk had legendary HALL OF FAME mentors -- including Igor Larionov, Sergei Fedorov and Steve Yzerman.

You're off your nut.

So without good mentors, you're destined to fail as a player?

polvCwJ.gif

You're off your nut.

I give up -- you're hopeless. Completely and utterly hopeless.

Have fun watching the Leafs crawl through the next decade, dude. Perhaps 10 years from now you'll get the poo out from between your ears.

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

You're off your nut.

I give up -- you're hopeless. Completely and utterly hopeless.

Have fun watching the Leafs crawl through the next decade, dude. Perhaps 10 years from now you'll get the poo out from between your ears.

:rolleyes:

Good, hope we won't see you around here again.

Staurolite.png