Tip.it Kingdoms

The Dark Lord

Invade... hm, that does give me a few ideas. ;)

In all seriousness, China used to be composed of many warring nations, before it was unified and started expanding. Still, it looks like we're using a non-Earth map, so RL geography and history might not matter that much.

Tact.gif

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Invade... hm, that does give me a few ideas. ;)

In all seriousness, China used to be composed of many warring nations, before it was unified and started expanding. Still, it looks like we're using a non-Earth map, so RL geography and history might not matter that much.

Glad to have you onboard :grin:

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

I edited my map to go with the terrain rules which are in the first post, but they're in different colours though, since it'd take ages to colour everything in a different colour again. That's why I included a key, all the stats of the terrain are the same, just the colours are different. Hope this is better:

kingdom.png

[hide=The city of Florence]mapofflorence.png[/hide]

[hide=Important things to note]

Wherever the river is only one tile wide, consider it a fjord.

The forests on the east side of Florence have spawned magnificent hunters, and their skills will become applicable to war through the medium of archery.

I tried to balance the map by adding various points of attack. The first is in the Northwest, where once the fort is taken out it's easy to build defensive fortifications while the attacking army prepares to cross the river Arno and go over the hills.

The hills are defended only by light walls, because they are hills themselves, and I thought it'd be a bit lame if everywhere was a heavy wall.

The Eastern side of the map allows for a more defensive/stealthy push into Florence, however game hunters may spot approaching armies early.

And finally the Southern part of the map is a long open plain, which would be ideal for siege warfare.

I used a slightly different shade of blue for housing so they would stand out more. [/hide]

[hide=Text based unit roster]I tried to balance these from the units in the example roster Ross gave me. No "Values" are included as I didn't know what to base this on.

[hide=Archer section: Skirmishers] Young Florentine men who wield a shortbow. These men are the hunters of Florence, the men who bring back the meat for their families dinner. They're experts in tracking the enemy, in moving swiftly and silently.

OS - 7

DS - 3

RNG - 1-4

MS - 4[/hide]

[hide=Light Infantry: Scouts] These small soldiers are cunning and ruthless in their efforts to provide the main body of the Florentine army with information. They can do little defensively, but if able to flank an opposing vulnerable unit, they will surely prevail.

OS - 12

DS - 1

RNG - 1

MS - 6[/hide]

[hide="Medium infantry: Shortswords men] These soldiers, using the techniques coined by the Romans form the bulk of the army. Their range is small and they move slowly, but as a fighting unit they excel. Lumbering into battle with their huge shields infront of them, they are a sight to behold.

OS - 11

DS - 6

RNG - 1

MS - 1[/hide]

[hide="Heavy infantry: Pikemen] These brutes, these monsters of men, carry long pikes to do their deadly work. Easily dismounting a knight on horseback, they excel at defending the army from enemy charges. While they do little offensively, without these units the Florentine army is extremely vulnerable defensively.

OS - 8

DS - 8

RNG - 1-2

MS - 1[/hide]

[hide=Siege unit: Ballistae] The ballistae is like a huge crossbow. It does little damage to walls, but can strike into enemy units with the ferocity of a God.

OS - 14

DS - 1

RNG - 2-7

MS - 1[/hide]

[hide=Cavalry unit:Horse archers] A light cavalry unit, used mainly for harassing as they will be destroyed in melee combat. A relatively new unit to the Florentine arsenal, there are not many units of these in the army.

OS - 6

DS - 2

RNG - 1-5

MS - 3[/hide][/hide]

I took the liberty of smacking my city down on the map, I don't know if we're supposed to do this or whatever.

[hide=Updated map?!]map1.png[/hide]

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

[hide=Grid Map of Rome]pZCXo.png[/hide]

Y'know, I'll just copy R:TW's units. Weee.

[hide=Units]

[hide=Velites (Skirmishers)]The lightly-armed velites, or skirmishers, were the fourth part of the Republican legion. They were also the poorest, as they could not afford even an infantryman's equipment, but instead were armed only with throwing javelins, which they flung at the enemy before the lines of infantry met. Velites were occasionally used to significant effect, as at Zama where Scipio Africanus used their javelins to drive away charging Carthaginian elephants. Velites disappeared after the Marian reforms, which made the legion a professional army in which men did not have to pay for their own weapons.

OS - 7

DS - 2

RNG - 2-4

MS - 4[/hide]

[hide=Hastati (Light Infantry)]The Roman legion was made up of three kinds of infantry, the first of which were the hastati. Normally the youngest men of the legion, they were armed with two throwing javelins (pila is of shorter range than those of velites) and a sword. As they were less experienced than the other two lines of infantry, and also went into battle first (being in front), they often suffered the heaviest casualties. Those who survived the hastati were eminently qualified to move on to the more experienced principes.

OS - 10

DS - 4

RNG - 1

MS - 2[/hide]

[hide=Principes (Medium Infantry)]These principes were normally men slightly older, in their 20s perhaps. They were, as mentioned before, more experienced, and as such were expected to shift the tide of the battle, after the hastati in front of them had worn down the enemy. They also carried two pila and a sword. Like the other two lines, they had an oval shield called a scutum.

OS - 13

DS - 3

RNG - 1

MS - 2[/hide]

[hide=Triarii (Heavy Infantry)]The cream of the legion, the triarii was made up of men approaching middle age. These hardened veterans were literally the toughest infantry you could find in the ancient world. The triarii, behind the other two lines of infantry, were not always required to go into battle, but when they did, their enemies had reason to be worried. These men carried a long thrusting spear and a sword. Being richer, they could also afford better equipment. There were also less of them than of the other two lines.

OS - 14

DS - 7

RNG - 2

MS - 2[/hide]

[hide=War Dogs]Used occasionally in battle by various nations, these dogs were deliberately starved to make them all the more fierce (and hungry!). They were trained to target horse�s hamstrings and therefore could be used against either infantry or cavalry. They can be a fairly formidable deterrent to any group of infantry.

OS - 5

DS - 1

RNG - 1

MS - 4[/hide]

[hide=Equites (Cavalry)] Service in the Roman legions depended largely on one economic standing. While the infantry was made up of those who merely owned land (and not even that, after the reforms of Marius), the cavalry consisted of people from the equestrian class, the "knights", who could afford their own horses and weapons, and who in peacetime were often the businessmen of the middle class. Armed with spears, they were useful for ambushes, for pressuring the enemy flanks, and more importantly than is often realized for chasing a fleeing enemy and cutting men down before they could escape. They are armed with spears, swords, and shields.

OS - 8

DS - 2

RNG - 1

MS - 6[/hide][/hide]

[hide=Roman Tribe]qh5wX.jpg

Senatus Populusque Romanus. The Senate and the People of Rome. Rome is a republic, with a senate elected from the leading aristocrats to represent the people as a whole. It is a haven for all outcasts and cutthroats, as long as they give their service to the glory of Rome.[/hide]

[hide=Updated Map?]wiUDk.png[/hide]

Thats all fine except the triarii, their DS is too high. DS is capped at 7.

Now, while I was making these drawings, I realised that I really, REALLY suck at drawing people in paint, so please, forgive the failure.

[hide=Unit roster]

[hide=Aresian Judge]

aresianjudgeknight.png

[/hide]

[hide=Aresian Bloodletter]

aresianbloodletter.png

[/hide]

[hide=Aresian Reaper]

aresianreaper.png

[/hide]

[hide=Aresian war drummer]

aresiandrummer.png

[/hide]

[hide=Ares Biahorae, Hero unit 1]

hellknightaresherounit1q.png

[/hide]

[/hide]

Just for the record, I chose to have a hero unit instead of seige weaponry etc.

I'll get round to researching and building those later.

2Xeo5.png

I'll post my unit roster when people stop deciding to change the caps of the stats. I'm lovin' the new gridded Pangea map <3:. I don't really mind where I am on the Pangea map. Just stick me in the center, where there's a striped string of rivers I guess.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

[hide=The Norsemen]Living in the hellhole that is the North, the Norse have to learn to survive the frigid temperatures and shortage of food. Because of their miserable homeland, the Norse frequently explore new areas and pillage them, often leaving behind a trail of dead bodies. The Norse are also extremely brutal and barbaric, and they will stop at no costs in order to steal all of your gold and women. Every male is trained in the arts of war from the age of seven, and the women are taught to be tough.[/hide]

You have got a few things wrong about my ancestors, I have lined them out.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Does it matter?

I don't like my country being described as a cold and vile place when it is no worse than northern USA in temperature with enough aggriculture, after all we have the highest avarage life span and the second highest wealth rate(after the United Arab Emirates).

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Does it matter?

I don't like my country being described as a cold and vile place when it is no worse than northern USA in temperature with enough aggriculture, after all we have the highest avarage life span and the second highest wealth rate(after the United Arab Emirates).

Things change in a few thousand years. Back in the day, Scandinavia wasn't that great a place.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

[hide=The Norsemen]Living in the hellhole that is the North, the Norse have to learn to survive the frigid temperatures and shortage of food. Because of their miserable homeland, the Norse frequently explore new areas and pillage them, often leaving behind a trail of dead bodies. The Norse are also extremely brutal and barbaric, and they will stop at no costs in order to steal all of your gold and women. Every male is trained in the arts of war from the age of seven, and the women are taught to be tough.[/hide]

You have got a few things wrong about my ancestors, I have lined them out.

Living in the North, the Norse learn to survive the temperatures and food.

Epic.

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

Does it matter?

Things change in a few thousand years. Back in the day, Scandinavia wasn't that great a place.

Farms were plentyfull back then as well and the temperature hasn't changed mouch.

-Sere, don't forget your mead; top class trading goods. ;-)

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

[Hide=Swedes]Situated in the far north of the planet lies a powerful and hardy civilization, the Swedes. The Swedes tend to be fairly peaceful, but are by no means weak. Strong enough to overpower many nearby countries, the Swedes are a force to be reckoned with. The position of their settlements, in the far north, makes it difficult for distant invaders to attack them. It is nearly impossible to move forces in the deep snow of the north, thus the only feasible way to attack a Swedish city is through the water. Most nations will fall short; however, as the ports are heavily fortified by many towers and a strong navy. All that I have to say to invaders is good luck.

[Hide=The City of Stockholm]30aewt5.png

[/Hide]

[Hide=Units]

[Hide=Longboats]Swift, Swedish longboats, with 100 experienced sailors, patrol the ports and seas nearby Sweden, and are called into almost all battles.

DS:9

RNG:1

MS:6

These can only travel in water. [/Hide]

[Hide=Basic Infantry]Basic soldiers, equipped with a shield, sword, dagger, and a long beard.

DS:6

MS:3[/Hide]

[Hide=Archers]Equipped with long bows, these guys generally stay behind the infantry and cavalry and bombard the enemy with arrows.

DS:2

RNG:6

MS:5[/Hide]

[Hide=Cavalry]The Swedes were known for their fine horses, loyal and majestic, these horses would gallantly charge into battle.

DS:5

MS:7[/Hide]

[/Hide]

[Hide=Updated Map]er02mc.png[/Hide]

[/Hide]

I'll edit more in later.

I see that some of the hometowns are seriously overpowered. Please consider that your entire starting tribe consists of only 10,000 individuals. Unless you want your civilization to starve before things begin progressing, a large part will be living in the countryside, growing crops to feed the rest of the population. This means that your hometown should house a maximum of 5,000.

Also, ideas such as concentric fortification were implemented much later in the middle ages. It's simply not realistic since your people should not have the knowledge of such ideas if they're still inventing metalworking and greek fire.

Everything has a trade-off. If your citizens put all their effort into constructing looming walls and great towers, they obviously have no time left to put into research and developement. Natural features such as rivers do not, except under the rarest of circumstance, completely enclose a town. If you claim it as a moat, fine, but unless you compensate for the massive amount of work that goes into digging out a wet moat by cutting back somewhere else, I'm not buying it.

[hide=Map of the Shu Kingdom]ShuKingdom.png

Blue dots denote abandoned or destroyed towns.

Light grey lines show roads.[/hide]

[hide=Shikou: Shu Hometown]ShuHometown.png

Blue- River

Dark Grey- Heavy Wall

Light Gray- Palisades (Equivalent of light walls)

Purple- Tower

Red- Castle

Light Brown- Gatehouse

Teal- Houses

Light Green- Plains

Dark Green- Forest[/hide]

[hide=New World Map?]untitled-3.jpg

Location of Shikou marked in purple.[/hide]

Tact.gif

MS Paint all the way!

I got plenty of practice making maps during my NationStates years, both for myself and allies. It's great since no matter what computer I'm on, I can always edit or create maps. It's also useful for linedrawing technical aspects of battles or designs for vehicles and weapons. ;)

Tact.gif