Prices for looks? Really?

Grimdark

That 'pretty much' you speak of is the difference that matters. I myself am completely unbiased to the whole D leg/D skirt debate so I can tell you D skirt makes you look alot noobier. I'm not saying that should be something you should worry about but it's a fact.

Actually that's an opinion. In reality though that's what paying for looks all really comes down to, your own opinions as well as the ones of others. It's the same as if I were to wear full bronze around everywhere. Would I look like a newbie? Yes, because that's the image people have when they see bronze armour. It's not a fact that bronze armour makes you look not as good but rather the stereotype that "bronze is for noobs".

It's the general consensus.

Only noobs who wear D skirts or have done disagree.

Zerker_jane.png

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 'pretty much' you speak of is the difference that matters. I myself am completely unbiased to the whole D leg/D skirt debate so I can tell you D skirt makes you look alot noobier. I'm not saying that should be something you should worry about but it's a fact.

You can't say you're unbiased and then state your biased opinion. It's not a fact; or do you mean to tell me women who wear skirts because they like the way they look makes you a noob? If so, my friend, I'd have to call extreme shenanigans.

People might value looks over efficiency, willing to shell out the cash for that. It's life. Why do people like fabriche eggs, when the same amount of money could buy them a better representation of Russian art and culture? Why does it matter so much, unless people are just upset that they're too expensive for them to buy themselves?

(Is that a general statement? Bet your [wagon] it is. But really, what's the reason to yell back and forth when everyone has legitimate points and really all it boils down to is opinions, which will never be unified? Ever?)

hzvjpwS.gif

Actually that's an opinion. In reality though that's what paying for looks all really comes down to, your own opinions as well as the ones of others. It's the same as if I were to wear full bronze around everywhere. Would I look like a newbie? Yes, because that's the image people have when they see bronze armour. It's not a fact that bronze armour makes you look not as good but rather the stereotype that "bronze is for noobs".

It's the general consensus.

Only noobs who wear D skirts or have done disagree.

Bullcabbage. They're both ugly as [bleep] if you don't wear them with the rest of the dragon set. The real n00b is the guy who only has 3m in his bank and wastes 700k of it on a cosmetic piece of crap instead of an item with actual stats.

I have no problem with anyone throwing away 700k. It's their money to toss into whatever garbage disposal they like. But it's stupid to pay extra for lower stats on an item when you're buying that item because you intend to use its stats. It's like buying full gilded for slayer instead of barrows, except if full gilded was ugly.

You can't say you're unbiased and then state your biased opinion. It's not a fact; or do you mean to tell me women who wear skirts because they like the way they look makes you a noob? If so, my friend, I'd have to call extreme shenanigans.

People might value looks over efficiency, willing to shell out the cash for that. It's life. Why do people like fabriche eggs, when the same amount of money could buy them a better representation of Russian art and culture? Why does it matter so much, unless people are just upset that they're too expensive for them to buy themselves?

(Is that a general statement? Bet your [wagon] it is. But really, what's the reason to yell back and forth when everyone has legitimate points and really all it boils down to is opinions, which will never be unified? Ever?)

That's not a biased opinion in anyway. I wear neither dragon legs or dragon skirts, nor have I ever worn either of them. Obviously the discussion at hand is relating to guys wearing Dragon skirts, not guys who change their gender because they can't afford D legs (or, as you call them, women). That was a joke, but clearly my points were about guys in D skirts.

All it boils down to at the end of the day is whether you care if people think you're a noob or not. If you do care you'll fork out the extra 700k (it was an extra 2M or so the last time I had this conversation), if you don't care you'll buy a D skirt and save yourself 700k (even though both can be resold at any point).

Zerker_jane.png

That's not a biased opinion in anyway. I wear neither dragon legs or dragon skirts, nor have I ever worn either of them. Obviously the discussion at hand is relating to guys wearing Dragon skirts, not guys who change their gender because they can't afford D legs (or, as you call them, women). That was a joke, but clearly my points were about guys in D skirts.

All it boils down to at the end of the day is whether you care if people think you're a noob or not. If you do care you'll fork out the extra 700k (it was an extra 2M or so the last time I had this conversation), if you don't care you'll buy a D skirt and save yourself 700k (even though both can be resold at any point).

The only people who will think you're a n00b for wearing a D skirt are n00bs. Intelligent people will think you're a n00b for trying to please them. So if you don't want the people who matter to think you're a n00b, you should use a skirt. Or better yet, just use barrows and screw dragon.

The world will come to an end because people have material desires. God save us all from the 900k Dragon Platelegs of expensiveness.

Seriously though, every Runescape price is based on looks. Remember when the new graphical changes for weapons came out? People were panic buying them. That's how it works everywhere in the world.

guido_49.png

Real "noobishness" is not a function of what you wear.

It is the difference between doing what you feel is right and works for you, and living your life based on an insecurity-driven need to impress others.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It is the difference between doing what you feel is right and works for you, and living your life based on an insecurity-driven need to impress others.

I laughed pretty hard, to be honest.

You guys are so out of the loop it's funny.

Yes, people look good for other people, but most of that isn't based on insecurities. Going to an interview? Hell, you might as well just show up in whatever you want to show you're a real independent man.

There are always exceptions, but the majority of people that want to look good just honestly want to look good. What do you instantly think of when you see someone whose dress is really unappealing? You think that person is unappealing, obviously.

And, on top of what I just said, good dress gives a sense of prestige. Why do you think that a Rolls Royce is way more expensive than a Toyota, Mazda, Ford, etc.? They are both cars and they both get you from A to B, so what's the point in throwing down an extra 100 thousand dollars? It's because of the prestige that comes with the car. The says 'look at me and what I've accomplished.' This is the way things work for anything in life. Certain neighborhoods are more expensive to live in, clothes, watches, everything.

This is the same for party hats and other various items. They give a sense of prestige and value. Yes, they wouldn't have this aura surrounding them if they were common and worth next to nothing. But that's not what makes an item valuable.

You guys are so out of the loop it's funny.

The loop that I am out of is our society's obssession with status, superficiality and materialism. And it's by choice.

Yes, people look good for other people, but most of that isn't based on insecurities. Going to an interview? Hell, you might as well just show up in whatever you want to show you're a real independent man.

That's an invalid comparison. Nobody is talking about dressing for a specific occasion. Are there job interviews on RuneScape? Not the last time I checked.

There are always exceptions, but the majority of people that want to look good just honestly want to look good. What do you instantly think of when you see someone whose dress is really unappealing? You think that person is unappealing, obviously.

You can answer for yourself, but not for others.

"Unappealing" is a judgment call. I'm not talking about people wearing dirty rags. When I see someone dressed plainly, I don't think anything of them "instantly", because I'm not superficial. I also don't immediately assume someone wearing fancy clothes is somone to be respected and admired.

You're just buying into societal stereotyping.

Why do you think that a Rolls Royce is way more expensive than a Toyota, Mazda, Ford, etc.? They are both cars and they both get you from A to B, so what's the point in throwing down an extra 100 thousand dollars? It's because of the prestige that comes with the car. The says 'look at me and what I've accomplished.'

To me, the car says "Look how messed up my priorities are."

I would be impressed by someone who drove a Toyota or a Mazda and used that extra $100,000 on a worthy cause. But maybe that's just me.

I think a lot of the answer also is where you live, and where you are in your life. Most of the people here probably live in big cities, and are also quite young and therefore bought into the "need to impress" culture (some of which is a part of society's big Mating Ritual.) But there are millions and millions of people who have moved beyond spending our time and energy trying to look good for strangers -- it's just that most of them don't play games like RuneScape.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Are you trying to convince me or yourself? Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.

To me, the car says "Look how messed up my priorities are."

And to this, when you've got the money, then your priorities are all in check. It would be different if the person was poor and took out a loan for a Rolls Royce (how I don't know).

But, anyhow, enjoy living in your own world.

Are you trying to convince me or yourself? Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.

I could say the same to you.

The difference is that I do what I want, and you do what society tells you to do.

And to this, when you've got the money, then your priorities are all in check.

Only when money and superficiality are one's priorities.

signew2.png

You make it sound like that for everyone to live in their means is for everyone to not spend a little extra money.

Just because you're living in your means doesn't mean you should be watching every penny, getting the cheapest stuff. What are you going to do with that extra money? You get items that are comfortable in your budget.

Anyway, you've made several comments about superficial stuff and thrown around a couple of big words. Pretty funny stuff, makes you sound smart. That's called putting up a 'front.'

The same way you 'front' when you're wearing nice clothes or what have you.

You make it sound like that for everyone to live in their means is for everyone to not spend a little extra money.

Just because you're living in your means doesn't mean you should be watching every penny, getting the cheapest stuff. What are you going to do with that extra money? You get items that are comfortable in your budget.

Anyway, you've made several comments about superficial stuff and thrown around a couple of big words. Pretty funny stuff, makes you sound smart. That's called putting up a 'front.'

The same way you 'front' when you're wearing nice clothes or what have you.

I think you are speaking past each other now. It's not like you have to live a life where you either only walk around in rags, or "watches every penny", but not either the one where money is priority number one. I do agree with qeltar here, that a rolls royce for me, just shows me a person that would rather spend a lot on money on something to show the society how rich he/she is.

If people actually looked past money, and social status as their #1 priority (which is a lot of people, even if they don't indent it to be that way) then we would all be better off.

But back to the topic. I really think that dragon legs/ dragon skirt, is a bad example. Let us look at the items that actually does not give any stats at all, and therefore have no other use than it's looks.

Why do people even buy these? Why is there a market for berets, canes and similar? The rares have a use, like the rolls royce we've talked about earlier, to show off their wealth, and "social status"

And dragon legs are actually useful, if not as useful as it would be to upgrade to barrows, or keep at a skirt.

But say white berets, which is priced at about 600k i think. This is not very expensive, so most people will not use this for showing off their wealth/status. Neither can it be used to anything that helps you in runescape. But still, the price is relatively high. There are people buying this. So of course, people also buy items purely[/] for looks. With this in mind, there's not a wonder that there's a difference in the skirt and leg variants of the dragon armour, or in saradomin trimmed. guthix trimmed, and regular rune armour.

Scherzo.png

You brought up the example of blowing an extra $100,000 on a car to impress people, not me.

The issue of living within one's means is irrelevant. It's a matter of priorities.

Some people use their money to do good. Others use it only to *look* good.

I know which group is more worthy of respect.

I've been around for quite a while. Anyone who knows me also knows I am a straight shooter. I say what I believe and I say it plainly.

That you feel the need to become insulting really says more about your confidence in your position than it does about me and mine.

What's interesting is that when you talk to people in the game about their obssession with "looks", it doesn't take much digging below the surface to discover that there's nothing there. Here's a typical dialog of the type I often get at the Living Rock Caverns, where I usually wear my normal outfit, consisting of a granite plate body, dragon legs and other typical armor:

Noob: "Ha ha nice granite"

Me: "Thanks"

Noob: "Why don't you wear Barrows?"

Me: "Don't need it, and by wearing it here it degrades when I fight, and I risk losing it"

Noob: "Yeah but it looks good!"

Me: "Why should I care how my armor looks in a videogame, when I'm surrounded by a bunch of people I don't even know?"

<Dead Silence>

signew2.png

If you have spare cash lying around, why not buy the better looking product? It's like David Beckham isn't going to go out and buy a Rover now is he?

Genesis Leader

Ending Templar & Trial Caller of The Rising

Ex-Leader of Silent Ember - Ex-Leader of True Ownage - Ex-Leader of Legendz

Former Tip.It Clan Community Leader

Just to keep this going (:D)...

You say you don't make passive judgements on people, yet introduce a caveat onto the same sentence.

You talk of people being insecure, and you did a good job keeping up with that argument. But you quickly change the stance to 'use over non-use.'

You talked of how you should be spending money for a better cause, getting only the cheapest for yourself and use the extra elsewhere. You don't define the use for this extra cash except 'good.'

People want to look good for themselves and for others, it is true. Everything you have stated on that fact is fact. However, the light from which you are approaching is dim. You say people only do this because of insecurities, yet don't take into the fact that humans are social beings in the forefront. Humans aren't designed to live alone. I'm sure you've studied civilizations in the past. Even civilizations, that didn't have contact with other civilizations, went extinct because the civilization itself was 'alone.'

This insecurity issue only goes skin deep and isn't an issue at all. I'm sure, just as every case has an exception, that people dress 'loud' to get attention, but this isn't the case a majority of the time. People want to look good as it makes them feel good. Appearance is a great issue in social status. Just talk many obese people and they will tell you how'd they like to be skinny. Not only for health reasons, but to be social again, to interact with others. This is because they are put under a distinct discrimination almost as bad as racism.

So, spending some extra cash to 'look good' is nothing bad, in fact, it's normal. Living out of your means is something I am not advocating as that would only lead to problems. But using some extra cash to buy a more expensive shirt here and there is fine. Just as it would be fine to spend some extra cash in a game to make your character look good.

What's interesting is that when you talk to people in the game about their obssession with "looks", it doesn't take much digging below the surface to discover that there's nothing there. Here's a typical dialog of the type I often get at the Living Rock Caverns, where I usually wear my normal outfit, consisting of a granite plate body, dragon legs and other typical armor:

Noob: "Ha ha nice granite"

Me: "Thanks"

Noob: "Why don't you wear Barrows?"

Me: "Don't need it, and by wearing it here it degrades when I fight, and I risk losing it"

Noob: "Yeah but it looks good!"

Me: "Why should I care how my armor looks in a videogame, when I'm surrounded by a bunch of people I don't even know?"

<Dead Silence>

In any situation where Barrows is overkill on defense, though, you should be using offensive gear. Even if you don't have Bandos available, it should be better to use Proselyte with your 5% or 10% strength prayer.