Small Computer Tips for RS

TheAncient

[hide]

For programming mice:

I don't know how it works with other mouse brands, but with logitech g5 the mouse comes with Logitech Setpoint, which is a simple and easy to use program that assigns mouse key meanings.

If you intend on buying a different brand mouse, check that it has software that allows you to program the mouse button meanings. My experience with Logitech Setpoint has been really good for a couple of years; it runs quietly in the background and has a very intuitive interface

yeah I have setpoint, but the problem is i use most of my mouse keys as volume control and forward/back, there's no way to program the buttons as specific keys for specific windows.

like this

Most gaming mice also have the function to change button assignments/meanings depending on which window you have in focus. For example, when I play RS the buttons are all assigned to F keys, but when I'm on chrome or firefox, they're assigned to pageup/pagedown/home/end etc

[/hide]

I'll post a screenshot on how to change it for RS specifically when I come back from class. I didnt do anything special - just look around in setpoint.

I'm downloading a newer version to see if that makes a difference, but thanks aswell

the Internet on my laptop just died so i prob cant post any pics...

<-- also never buy an HP computer... within the past two days my lcd and internet have both failed...

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

i simply split my screen, i gues it than is still larger than some pple there screens.

my pc is connected to my 37 inch hd tv :P

issnt it against the rules to use macros on mouse?

Hello i am new to tip it.

I hope i can contribute somthing good. and have fun here.

Hurmyie.png

i simply split my screen, i gues it than is still larger than some pple there screens.

issnt it against the rules to use macros on mouse?

ive asked jagex this and ive heard mixed responses. some mods say that it's okay but some mods say that it's against the rules.

but more importantly, i haven't been banned or warned for the 2 years i've been using it so I assume they're okay with it, or simply just cant detect it.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

[hide]

For programming mice:

I don't know how it works with other mouse brands, but with logitech g5 the mouse comes with Logitech Setpoint, which is a simple and easy to use program that assigns mouse key meanings.

If you intend on buying a different brand mouse, check that it has software that allows you to program the mouse button meanings. My experience with Logitech Setpoint has been really good for a couple of years; it runs quietly in the background and has a very intuitive interface

yeah I have setpoint, but the problem is i use most of my mouse keys as volume control and forward/back, there's no way to program the buttons as specific keys for specific windows.

like this

Most gaming mice also have the function to change button assignments/meanings depending on which window you have in focus. For example, when I play RS the buttons are all assigned to F keys, but when I'm on chrome or firefox, they're assigned to pageup/pagedown/home/end etc

[/hide]

I'll post a screenshot on how to change it for RS specifically when I come back from class. I didnt do anything special - just look around in setpoint.

I'm downloading a newer version to see if that makes a difference, but thanks aswell

the Internet on my laptop just died so i prob cant post any pics...

<-- also never buy an HP computer... within the past two days my lcd and internet have both failed...

Not to worry, I've found a program that will "unlock" the settings on setpoint (because for some reason they aren't usable with this mouse on default"

Edit: internet started working again so I uploaded the pictures of setpoint.

NOTE: you need to have the RS client downloaded as a separate program (can't run it off of browser) for the bound hotkeys to work.

setp.jpg

setp2.jpg

you might have to do some digging to find the runescape[Caution: Executable File] client in your computer. but when you do, select it. then go back to the main setpoint screen and change your hotkeys.

sigcopyaf.png

Edit: internet started working again so I uploaded the pictures of setpoint.

NOTE: you need to have the RS client downloaded as a separate program (can't run it off of browser) for the bound hotkeys to work.

[ig]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9443/setp.jpg[/img]

[ig]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/200/setp2.jpg[/img]

you might have to do some digging to find the runescape[Caution: Executable File] client in your computer. but when you do, select it. then go back to the main setpoint screen and change your hotkeys.

My logitech mouse is an older model, and on setpoint the program specific settings were unavailable - so for anyone with similar problems,

http://uberoptions.net/

the program from this site basically gives you an unlocked version of setpoint that lets you assign just about anything to anything.

thanks for the tips sseli, this is going to be awesome for TD's :D

lmao at muggi. i've heard that there's a wow player with 25 screens...

22+22 = 44

Actually, no. 22" refers to the diagonal; longer diagonal length doesn't mean bigger area.

with that said I'd still prefer 2 22" versus 1 37"

sigcopyaf.png

Your budget for this is easily over 500 dollars, including the purchase of a VG card that can support dual monitors. While I admire your dedication, I just don't have that kind of spare scratch. If I did, I wouldn't be running on a 6 year old machine with 2.2GHz, 60gb HDD, and a 64mb integrated video card...*goes to an isolated corner to lament my puny machine.*

You wouldn't happen to have any tips to share for us poor college folk, eh?

hzvjpwS.gif

[spoiler=Off-topic:]

I do!

Do well in college, find a well-paying job, save money, buy as many screens and nice computers as your heart desires.

:razz:

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Your budget for this is easily over 500 dollars, including the purchase of a VG card that can support dual monitors. While I admire your dedication, I just don't have that kind of spare scratch. If I did, I wouldn't be running on a 6 year old machine with 2.2GHz, 60gb HDD, and a 64mb integrated video card...*goes to an isolated corner to lament my puny machine.*

my dad actually bought a VG card for his desktop. in total he paid $250 for the extra monitor AND card.

if you're in college (which i am), you most likely have (or should get) a laptop. latptops don't need an extra VG card to support dual monitors; you can plug and play and itll work. so really youre just paying for an extra monitor = $150

it sounds like you need a new computer anyway. low end HP and dell laptops can be found (albeit rarely) under $400.

roommate has a cheap (~20) multifunction mouse. but my recommendation is to get a logitech or something reputable. mine's lasted couple of years and i'm very happy with it. i've seen amazon sell the G5 for $35 before, too

also, if youre a college student take those random psych surveys around campus that pay like $20 an hour LOL

sigcopyaf.png

if you're in college (which i am), you most likely have (or should get) a laptop. latptops don't need an extra VG card to support dual monitors; you can plug and play and itll work.

Laptops with integrated video cards can't support dual monitors, I thought? You positive about that? I don't have a laptop (a netbook at the very least would set me back 300 dollars, let alone a decent laptop) so I guess it doesn't really matter but that bit of info ran contrary to how I thought laptops worked. XD

Unfortunately, I go to just a small commuter campus, and we're not big on psychology studies or medical trials.

hzvjpwS.gif

if you're in college (which i am), you most likely have (or should get) a laptop. latptops don't need an extra VG card to support dual monitors; you can plug and play and itll work.

Laptops with integrated video cards can't support dual monitors, I thought? You positive about that? I don't have a laptop (a netbook at the very least would set me back 300 dollars, let alone a decent laptop) so I guess it doesn't really matter but that bit of info ran contrary to how I thought laptops worked. XD

Unfortunately, I go to just a small commuter campus, and we're not big on psychology studies or medical trials.

with laptops you can use your default laptop screen and an extra LCD monitor simultaneously. my old laptop is a absolute PoS with a terrible integrated graphics card and it could handle the 22" + default 15". granted, it did die after 2 years.

if you wanna be really literal, you're only attaching 1 monitor. but effectively you have dual monitors function.

sigcopyaf.png

well I'm not in school, so don't really need 5 windows open. I do sometimes use dual monitors, but i prefer to post up on the couch with laptop and big 52 inch flat screen in background. L.

Also a gaming mouse with programmable buttons certainly owns for pvm pvp etc.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

with laptops you can use your default laptop screen and an extra LCD monitor simultaneously. my old laptop is a absolute PoS with a terrible integrated graphics card and it could handle the 22" + default 15". granted, it did die after 2 years.

if you wanna be really literal, you're only attaching 1 monitor. but effectively you have dual monitors function.

If you laptop has an IGP (integrated graphics processor) and a video out port, your laptop can support an external monitor. Lower IGPs and GPUs might have difficulty playing at higher resolutions and in most cases, will not display the native resolution when it is above a certain point (the manufacturer lists it on the specs of your card). I have an Nvidia 9400M IGP and I can push out three displays.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

All seems a bit hardcore for RuneScape, but I suppose if it helps you play and gives you that little bit of an edge, then why not?

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

That setup is really inefficient. I consider mine superior:

screen001ii3.jpg

:mellow:

Haha I remember reading about that guy. He spends like 5 grand a year or something on subscription fees alone for WoW. O.o

OT: Cool tips, I just use a single 23 in monitor though. It suffices. I haven't really played Runescape in a while though, and I usually play it to mess around anyway. Not hardcore or anything lol.

Big_Stingman.png