03-Mar-10 Changes to HP Skill, Shattered Heart, RuneScape Lobby/Login Changes, Success at Smelting Iron

Toad

i am being mature in the discussion through honesty. even if its negative, it is still my god-damn opinion.

Does that mean you'll now attempt to provide an actual argument?

The problem is that you haven't provided a good reason why the update is bad. There have been many posts providing examples of why it's a great update, especially in regards to future content, so what you need to do is explain why that's wrong and why/how the old system is superior.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need more food now when training at flesh crawlers due to them hitting less zeros (tested!). Thats the only thing I currently don't like but I think I can live with it.

The iron smelting thing is useless, it isn't worth a whole news post.

[404] Signature not found.

[hide]

Does that mean you'll now attempt to provide an actual argument?

The problem is that you haven't provided a good reason why the update is bad. There have been many posts providing examples of why it's a great update, especially in regards to future content, so what you need to do is explain why that's wrong and why/how the old system is superior.

[/hide]

so you want my reason? (which i explained it 1000+ times) OK: its a distraction that wasn't necessary and they shouldn't have implemented it. The game shouldn't go through multiplying 10 to everything we hit, because thats not the runescape i know. it just feels like i'm playing another mmorpg with high digit numbers. the problem with jagex is that they're focusing too much on changing runescape until it can be

recognized as a modern MMORPG. sorry, but i don't feel okay with this because it'll just separate the game even more than it already is...hence, why I want to stop playing.

also, thanks for not trying to openly flame me like the other cretins here.

Am I the only one who is more "moved" by the fire cape alternative than the HP update?

*Shrug* The HP update was kinda mediocre. But I see where Jagex is trying to go with this. Hopefully they'll be continuing with the process of re-balancing the combat triangle. :thumbup:

Ellysian.png

so you want my reason? (which i explained it 1000+ times) OK: its a distraction that wasn't necessary and they shouldn't have implemented it. The game shouldn't go through multiplying 10 to everything we hit, because thats not the runescape i know. it just feels like i'm playing another mmorpg with high digit numbers. the problem with jagex is that they're focusing too much on changing runescape until it can be

recognized as a modern MMORPG. sorry, but i don't feel okay with this update because it'll just separate the game even more than it already is...

So you're opposed to change, essentially. Okay, I can understand that, even if I don't agree with it. My problem with your reasoning is that it doesn't take into account the positives or future implications of the update. You haven't said anything about the more accurate hit readings, the possibility of armor/weapons/potions/etc that could affect Constitution, such as armor that increases it, thereby increasing your max possible life points, or weapons that decrease it, making your opponent unable to heal up to their max possible life points. Those are just two examples, of course, but I hope you see what I'm getting at.

I think it's naive to assume that Jagex did this arbitrarily or with the intention of being "hip" or "current" with other MMOs.

dgs5.jpg

Am I the only one who is more "moved" by the fire cape alternative than the HP update?

Probably not. but i do think the firecape req removal too was unnecessary.

recognized as a modern MMORPG. sorry, but i don't feel okay with this update because it'll just separate the game even more than it already is...

So you're opposed to change, essentially. Okay, I can understand that, even if I don't agree with it. My problem with your reasoning is that it doesn't take into account the positives or future implications of the update. You haven't said anything about the more accurate hit readings, the possibility of armor/weapons/potions/etc that could affect Constitution, such as armor that increases it, thereby increasing your max possible life points, or weapons that decrease it, making your opponent unable to heal up to their max possible life points. Those are just two examples, of course, but I hope you see what I'm getting at.

I think it's naive to assume that Jagex did this arbitrarily or with the intention of being "hip" or "current" with other MMOs.

i don't look into the positives at much (being a pessimistic) but i can tell that in my opinion (sorry if this word bothers you) the negatives outweigh the positives.

the only positives i know is that it may make room for higher weps and such, but not significantly because the ratio didn't change how fast you can die.

i don't look into the positives at much (being a pessimistic) but i can tell that in my opinion (sorry if this word bothers you) the negatives outweigh the positives.

the only positives i know is that it may make room for higher weps and such, but not significantly because the ratio didn't change how fast you can die.

Then my last question would be: what are the negatives, exactly, besides that it's different? How does this update affect the future of Runescape for the worse, despite the inevitability of armors and weapons that are able to combat the flawed combat system?

I'll have to read your response in the morning, as I'm desperately in need of sleep. Goodnight.

dgs5.jpg

I'm still kind of confused about how armor/weapons can increase your max life points. Can you give some examples of how that would work?

E.g Someone with 99 hp has 990 life points. This person wears a +10 life points increasing armor, and now will have 1000 life points?

There is actually an "armor" that increases your constitution, although only temporarily: the constitution (HP) cape. When you use the bonus and go up to 100 constitution, your maximum hitpoints are now 1000 for the duration of the temporary increase. You regenerate upwards toward this new max, and you are also able to use normal food to heal to 1000 hitpoints.

So if a new armor added, say, a permenant +5 to constitution (as long as it is equipped), your new max would be 1040 HP, and you would be able to heal up to that new maximum (although on equipping it you would be 990/1040 HP; it wouldn't heal you).

I'm still kind of confused about how armor/weapons can increase your max life points. Can you give some examples of how that would work?

E.g Someone with 99 hp has 990 life points. This person wears a +10 life points increasing armor, and now will have 1000 life points?

The first possibility is with a direct increase. Before, with an HP level, they were severely limited because it was a skill and subject to skill limitations. Skills have two levels, a current level, and an experience level. They couldn't change the experience level because it was calculated from experience. Current levels are subject to degeneration and stacking issues.

However, now that it is no longer a level, Jagex has created two new variables that are not limited by the skill limitations. This means they can employ a completely new mechanic - max hp = Constitution * 10 + Bonus for example.

If they don't want to deal with that, the second possibiliity is easier. Say they release an "Extreme Constitution Potion". It raises your Constitution by 26, so now your max hp is 1,250. If they want, they could have armor do this instead, with an overload-ish effect of refreshing.

In short there are many ways, now that your lifepoints aren't tied to a skill anymore.

The update didn"t changed anything YET !!!!

It simply made things x10 for all related to ol HP.

Skill is now consitution, and HP points are life points x10

Combat levels aren't been modified since lifepoints are comstitution level x 10

max HP un brewed is 990

Hits are also x10, so that you can see ols zeros doing hits from 1 to 9 that you couldn't see. Low level players won't hit so much 0s and will be less disapointed. 0s are still possible (i've made some).

Healing values are also x10 so food and healers are 10 times more efficients.

Monsters have also been x10 in life.

As a conclusion, except for low level players, nothing changed at all for now.

The update simply opens new possibility for quests and weapons/armours by making them work on lifepoints without any link on constitution skill level.

For example you can have a potion that (like most of the postions) rise your lifepoints by 15%. so you can have 990+15% => 148 LP (low rounded).

Then dinring pot allow you to go for almost 150 LP. Healing (familiar/food) will bring you LP up there.

That is for the advantage.

Now for the lowering. Let's imagine a ring or a magic spell that allow you to lower LP by 15%.... that would make your opponnent have 990-15%=841LP

Then, whatever he will heal, he won't be back up over 841LP ! Imagine what it brings to PVP...

That was the only possible way to allow further update along combat : quests, monsters and weaponry

Oh baby light the dark side...

i am being mature in the discussion through honesty. even if its negative, it is still my god-damn opinion.

because the idea is completely unoriginal and completely uncalled for. I don't see a legitimate reason of why they had to change Hitpoints. it was fine, nobody had problems with it, and everything was fine and dandy. I don't see how this sudden dramatic change is going to benefit anything. I think Jagex is only getting pressured into changing Runescape so that it could fit the criteria of other modern MMPORPGs and their first step happened to add a 0 into every [cabbage] we hit on. WOW JAGEX THAT WAS SO FREAKIN' BRILLIANT! WE SO NEEDED THIS UPDATE!!! :roll:

I played Runescape because it was Runescape. Now it just feels like any other RPGs where everything is in 3-4 digits. I can't ever believe that they would implement such a disappointing update. I'm just about ready to stop spending even one cent in this cruddy peice of [cabbage] company called Jagex. Good bye and I hope you have fun with your new generation of pre adolescent players.

This is not mature, well thought out, or merited. It is a thoughtless rambling.

I could make a post saying "OMG GOD SWORDS??? GOD SWORDS WERE NOT IN THE RUNESCAPE I KNOW AND LOVE AND NOW THEY ARE JUST MAKING IT LIKE WOW WHERE YOU KILL BOSS MONSTERS ALL DAY!!!"

It just isnt a reason. It isnt. Theres no logic behind your overly negative ramblings. If you are going to have an illogical, purely emotional dislike for something, the mature way to organize your thoughts would be to say "There isn't really any reason for this, but I just don't enjoy the look of the new numbers compared to the numbers I am used to."

You, on the other hand, are trying to build some type of argument, and are treating others poorly when they disagree with you. You have no argument and have provided no evidence as to why this update is SO bad. You just don't like it, and you can't frame your personal distaste for an update like it is something that anyone should agree with.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

because the idea is completely unoriginal and completely uncalled for. I don't see a legitimate reason of why they had to change Hitpoints. it was fine, nobody had problems with it, and everything was fine and dandy. I don't see how this sudden dramatic change is going to benefit anything. I think Jagex is only getting pressured into changing Runescape so that it could fit the criteria of other modern MMPORPGs and their first step happened to add a 0 into every [cabbage] we hit on. WOW JAGEX THAT WAS SO FREAKIN' BRILLIANT! WE SO NEEDED THIS UPDATE!!! :roll:

I played Runescape because it was Runescape. Now it just feels like any other RPGs where everything is in 3-4 digits. I can't ever believe that they would implement such a disappointing update. I'm just about ready to stop spending even one cent in this cruddy peice of [cabbage] company called Jagex. Good bye and I hope you have fun with your new generation of pre adolescent players.

I could make a post saying "OMG GOD SWORDS??? GOD SWORDS WERE NOT IN THE RUNESCAPE I KNOW AND LOVE AND NOW THEY ARE JUST MAKING IT LIKE WOW WHERE YOU KILL BOSS MONSTERS ALL DAY!!!"

It just isnt a reason. It isnt. Theres no logic behind your overly negative ramblings. If you are going to have an illogical, purely emotional dislike for something, the mature way to organize your thoughts would be to say "There isn't really any reason for this, but I just don't enjoy the look of the new numbers compared to the numbers I am used to."

You, on the other hand, are trying to build some type of argument, and are treating others poorly when they disagree with you. You have no argument and have provided no evidence as to why this update is SO bad. You just don't like it, and you can't frame your personal distaste for an update like it is something that anyone should agree with.

forgive me but i couldn't stand reading that godsword sentence since it made no sense whatsoever.

anyways, i cannot believe you would start all over and go back to the beginning with that quote. just shows that all you want to do is waste my time on your dumb argument.

So far, i can tell you're a hater. well, tell you what, hate all you want, brother. IDC what a 12 year old on a computer whos probably 1000s miles across from the sea can say to me. :smile:

I honestly cannot fathom why so many people are so worked up about this update. It is merely a visual change to the game, and whatever mechanics changed are only for the better.

If you are so attached to the way this game has looked in every trivial detail, frankly you have problems. I love the update BECAUSE it makes it look more like some of my favorite RPGs. I don't make a mutually exclusive distinction between the two. RuneScape will always have many elements unique to itself, but there are some things about it that are common to most RPGs, and indeed, there will be new things added that may be considered... "unoriginal". Though one must realize, unoriginal does NOT necessarily mean it's not beneficial.

So far all I have seen from the opposition are purely emotional, nostalgic non-arguments. Please, give one real reason why this update is bad, and I'll gladly consider it.

forgive me but i couldn't stand reading that godsword sentence since it made no sense whatsoever.

anyways, i cannot believe you would start all over and go back to the beginning with that quote. just shows that all you want to do is waste my time on your dumb argument.

So far, i can tell you're a hater. well, tell you what, hate all you want, brother. IDC what a 12 year old on a computer whos probably 1000s miles across from the sea can say to me. :smile:

Why is my argument against god swords inferior to the drivel you have spewed out about todays update?

You have uselessly hypothesized that, for some reason, you feel this update is Jagex making an attempt to make huge, cool numbers and impress pre-teens.

When...THEY MADE A NEWS POST that detailed their entire thought process behind the update. They made it because low levels getting hit for 1 damage meant that they were losing 10% of their health on each hit. This doesnt really seem managable to a new player.

However, you just choose to ignore what the reasoning is behind this update, and substitute your own completely made up reasons to hate this update. It is just nonsense.

EDIT: Also, you dont think I should go back to where your pointless argument started? You just said "I am being mature in the discussion though, honestly"

And I quoted your FIRST post. You decided to start demonstrating your opinion with a bunch of capital letters, and unwarranted negativity that is based on incorrect reasons. You claim you are being mature, so I thought I should remind you of the abraisive post you made that annoyed both me and the rest of the people who are now down your back.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I honestly cannot fathom why so many people are so worked up about this update. It is merely a visual change to the game, and whatever mechanics changed are only for the better.

If you are so attached to the way this game has looked in every trivial detail, frankly you have problems. I love the update BECAUSE it makes it look more like some of my favorite RPGs.

some of us may like originality, some of us don't. clearly, you like games that are not original and (like you said) RPGs with high numbers like we have today. but i happen to like

originality since I personally think that Runescape should of stayed the way it was and not have those uber high digit numbers like most RPGs.

What happens when we have two parties that are not agreeing with each other? A debate.

Debates should be encouraged, not discouraged like this thread. I was posting my opinion on behalf of the debate but most of you guys failed to play your parts and instead, bluntly flame at me.

Can someone explain what the 'killing blows faster' thing is? Sorry if I missed it but it sounds confusing and I don't want to waste 400 slayer points on a guess.

When you get a Gargoyle down to 0hp, you will automatically kill it if you have a rock hammer in your inventory. Pretty good update :thumbup:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Can someone explain what the 'killing blows faster' thing is? Sorry if I missed it but it sounds confusing and I don't want to waste 400 slayer points on a guess.

When you get a Gargoyle down to 0hp, you will automatically kill it if you have a rock hammer in your inventory. Pretty good update :thumbup:

Wow, nice

I'm impressed with this update to tell you the truth.

As its more accurate they can add items, familiars, monsters and so on which do either extra small amounts of damage (think poison like effects for armour and weapons) and gap filling familiars. Spinner-Bunyip gap breaker healing 15 anyone?

I'd love to know if unicorn healing is still rounded down or if its those extra points in between now.

Lots of options my only bad thought is it makes the game a lot more confusing for new and old players. As the KO amount of hp can no be 0.9 or 0.1 (when looking at it in comparison to the old system) as well as making some slayer monsters a bit more annoying (I did 150 gargs last night and I found it hard to work out the right time to hit the smash option without looking at the hp constitution bar.)

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

If you are so attached to the way this game has looked in every trivial detail, frankly you have problems. I love the update BECAUSE it makes it look more like some of my favorite RPGs.

some of us may like originality, some of us don't. clearly, you like games that are not original and (like you said) RPGs with high numbers like we have today. but i happen to like

originality since I personally think that Runescape should of stayed the way it was and not have those uber high digit numbers like most RPGs.

What happens when we have two parties that are not agreeing with each other? A debate.

Debates should be encouraged, not discouraged like this thread. I was posting my opinion on behalf of the debate but most of you guys failed to play your parts and instead, bluntly flame at me.

The changes were neccessary and needed, if you don't like change why don't you go back to runescape classic? And debates is encouraged, just you still haven't provided any evidence other than that change is bad as to why it was a bad update.

The changes were neccessary and needed, if you don't like change why don't you go back to runescape classic? And debates is encouraged, just you still haven't provided any evidence other than that change is bad as to why it was a bad update.

Give me an example of why it was needed. Don't give me bull**** like Oh because we hit too many zeros. well stfu, because i've seen plenty of zeros in duel arena.

I think Jagex should be focusing on how to destroy threats like merchant clans, inflation, and spammers in W2. Those are the changes we need. It would certainly help If Jagex would make updates for the better. Not make it worse for some of us, and better for some of us.

Give me an example of why it was needed. Don't give me bull**** like Oh because we hit too many zeros. well stfu, because i've seen plenty of zeros in duel arena.

I think Jagex should be focusing on how to destroy merchant clans, inflation, and spammers in W2. Those are the changes we need.

Merchants are fine for now, inflation is natural and spammers have always been in the game.

This don't add money they simply move it around.

These updates allow for a lot of expandability.

How would you add a familiar which heals in-between bunyip and void spinner before?

There have been numerous issues with rounding. Low level spells hitting the same as higher spells when using 10% staffs, only getting healed 13 when your much closer to 14 (uni with 93 hp of the user) and so on.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]