Carpentry: Your opinion

0ne_time

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carpentry?! what next "taking out the trash" skill? sound so boring, how will it bring money?itll only be collectable items...we should get a funner skill like hmm dragon slayer? where [knockoff from slayer i no] but we could get kool armours new weps or healing cuz the prayer is lame. i donno anything is better!

I think it should take 2 time as much time as when leveling fletching.

why :?: : Well, if you make beds, maybe, just maybe, you might be able to rest on them getting you back to full hp, but it should take some time, like, lets say, 2 or 3 mins to rest. With chairs, you might be able to rest for like 1 min to heal you up till half hp.Carpentry should be a very usefull skill if they impliment it right, so it should take time. It shouldnt take you like 1 week to get from 1 to 99, because then, it's just way too easy. But the bad thing is i can't really think of a variety of things to make, unless it's like, bad chair, good chair, great chair, ect.

I don't think Poh's should be able to have like dragons. It might have farming patches for the garden, and guard dogs in the back yard. Something sensible, not like a skill paradise.

Thanks,

One time

i think it'd be kewl mon..

cos think of it... if it's introduced with POH, and if it *is* like farming in that only you get to see your handywork... then:

- possibility to make something like a wardrobe, for those who love to collect all the clothing sets etc.. instead of wasting valuable bank space

- possibility to make your own storage chests for quest items perhaps.

- possibility that you use your POH in a step of a quest (like hiding something/someone, or someone turns up there)

... i'm just letting the imagination run a little here.. as weakly as it seems to be doing :oops:

I gave and idea about that in one of my posts. It is that you must have the player's whose house it is to actually enter. You can see anyone's house just by typing the name. That is the idea.

Thanks,

one time

mercedesmanipulationn1cj8.png

~Joined RS December 2001

~Retired Mid-2007

i think they should delete farming and make canpentry instead, i think farming is a flop! its taking way to long to grow one thing!!! and also its kinda "dead" at the farming spots! and also, what does farming have to do with like, knights mages and rangers? i mean its not really the thing to do in a game...
Well, you don't like farming, but others may do( I think farming is OK).

carpentry?! what next "taking out the trash" skill? sound so boring, how will it bring money?itll only be collectable items...we should get a funner skill like hmm dragon slayer? where [knockoff from slayer i no] but we could get kool armours new weps or healing cuz the prayer is lame. i donno anything is better!

Thnik of Jagex deleting your favorite skill. I'm sure someone out there would have farming as their favorite skill. And, why would they need to take farming out? Even if they do take out, carpentry won't magically be released. They would still have to work on carpentry.

Who knows, carpentry could be worse than farming. It hasn't been released yet, so you really can't say that carpentry is for sure going to be a very good or bad skill. There are just way too many variables to make an opinion. I'm not talking about small variables, i mean variables that change the skill.

How will carpentry make money? Well, that's pretty easy, that's like saying how can fletching make money. Well, lets say you make a sofa or bed that heals you to full xp. Or even a sleeping bag that heels you very fast to full xp, and it's portable. Don't tell me those items won't be sold for too much money! Maybe you can even make a house to sell items. May you can make racks, cabinets, bookshelves, and tables to store items for you. They would be worth some good money too. You really can't say it won't make money, because most likely, it will be right up there with slayer, runecrafting( runecrafting is a very good money making skill. Get 88 rc and you get double nats. You can hire nat runners for 11k per trip, and thats about a 7k profit per trip!), fletching, mining, fishing, and woodcutting. If money's what you want, carpepentry might be what you want/need. I can't tell for sure though, because it hasn't been released yet.

Thanks,

One time

mercedesmanipulationn1cj8.png

~Joined RS December 2001

~Retired Mid-2007

Well this is just my thoughts but maybe carpentry will be the skill you need to train to build your house when poh's are released? you shouldn't be able to just buy a house and have it turn up, you'd have to build it, and that's what carpentry is for, first you can make like chairs and tables, but then eventually you can build a full fledged house, then you put the chairs and tables in it. Kind of like farming leads up to being able to plant your own spirit tree (which some people have said maybe that's how we will have POH's is that we build them in our spirit tree maybe?) then carpentry would be leading up to building your own house. At least that's how I figured it. Maybe someone has already said this, but i didn't feel like reading through 10 pages of posts to find out ;)

i think they should delete farming and make canpentry instead, i think farming is a flop! its taking way to long to grow one thing!!! and also its kinda "dead" at the farming spots! and also, what does farming have to do with like, knights mages and rangers? i mean its not really the thing to do in a game...
Well, you don't like farming, but others may do( I think farming is OK).

Thnik of Jagex deleting your favorite skill. I'm sure someone out there would have farming as their favorite skill. And, why would they need to take farming out? Even if they do take out, carpentry won't magically be released. They would still have to work on carpentry.

Who knows, carpentry could be worse than farming. It hasn't been released yet, so you really can't say that carpentry is for sure going to be a very good or bad skill. There are just way too many variables to make an opinion. I'm not talking about small variables, i mean variables that change the skill.

How will carpentry make money? Well, that's pretty easy, that's like saying how can fletching make money. Well, lets say you make a sofa or bed that heals you to full xp. Or even a sleeping bag that heels you very fast to full xp, and it's portable. Don't tell me those items won't be sold for too much money! Maybe you can even make a house to sell items. May you can make racks, cabinets, bookshelves, and tables to store items for you. They would be worth some good money too. You really can't say it won't make money, because most likely, it will be right up there with slayer, runecrafting( runecrafting is a very good money making skill. Get 88 rc and you get double nats. You can hire nat runners for 11k per trip, and thats about a 7k profit per trip!), fletching, mining, fishing, and woodcutting. If money's what you want, carpepentry might be what you want/need. I can't tell for sure though, because it hasn't been released yet.

Thanks,

One time

yeah i guess it could make money from alching and stuff still u have no idea they will make the items heal u ect. so it maybe the most useless skill, like firemaking...but noone can say really i think Jagex should at least tell us if they r coming out with it!!

heres an idea - :idea:

when the POH's come out, you get a key for your house, then there should be an NPC who is a keycutter, and can copy your key. (should also be in crafting skill) Then, you pass your key off to other players, and when you use that person's key with the door, you can walk into that person's house, and chill with only the ppl you give your key to, and get away from public chat.

Inside your house, you can use the carpentry skill to make furniture for your house (as mentioned by many others) and have your own workshops (such as furnaces, anvils etc.)

Tell Me What U Think!!!!!!!

i really want carpentry to come out as its own skill, why? because if its additions to fletching etc the economy will be so screwed up its not even funny because people will want supplies to train the skills up to make stuff. yews culd become 1k magics 3k etc

Heh, I wouldn't complain if yews became 1k each...

thoguhts of a lvl 61 woodcutter, shinyblade99.

About peoples ideas of using stone, that is an entirely idfferent skill called masonry.

And POH wil be awesome, having your own party room, place to chill out. Think about it, you could make your own workshops, like imagine having an anvil next to a bank chest in your house? Name one otehr anvil like this? And even better, imagine having a furnace next to it? IT will rock!

And about it being high level carpentry to make houses, heres my opinion:

OH NO! we have to work to get cool things! Jagex, why do you treat us so cruely? You made this entire game for us, and for once we have to work!

-This has been a message from my sarcasm.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

If you try to fail, and then succeed, what have you done?

If someone who draws is an artist, and someone who plays piano is a pianist, what do you call someone who races?

Apparently I've seen some bad comments and some good comments. I've decided to make a lost of Pros and Cons for the new skill. (Oh and YES the skill has a label years ago, I was a RS veteran back then!)

PROS:

You could make storage cabinets for extra bank space.

You could make racks to hold your armor and weapons for you.

You could make a shop to sell items while you are out.

You could make a garden in your backyard to make it look nice.

You could make a training arena (more after).

You could make a fishing pond (more after).

You could make beds and chairs and the such to sleep in (more after).

You could make a kitchen for all your cooking needs (more later).

You could make an extra room for visitors to stay.

You could make a room to hold group/clan/friend meetings.

You could make a 'connector' to connect houses (more after).

You could make a workshop for smithing/crafting/etc. (more after).

You could make an extra room for private drop/balloon drop parties!

Fishing Pond:

This could be done by using a shovel to dig a big hole, getting buckets of water and a certain amount of raw fish and dumping them in so there are enough fish for them to breed, fish, etc.

Training Arena:

This could be done for many skills!

Magic: Make uncharged orbs and use them as targets. Fire at them to make them change colors to the color of the element you shot for a few seconds!

Ranged: Make targets and set them a distance away then make haystacks and stand behind them and fire away!

Melee: Make your very own dummies and set them so they are neutral (don't attack back) or set them so they can attack with a certain max attack and if you lose all your HP you would respawn in your bed without losing any items!

Agility: Make platforms and 'crash mats'. Set up the agility obstacle you want and connect it to two platforms and if you failed and fell off the crash mat would prevent harmful damage!

I'll edit post if I get anything else...

Beds, chairs, other things:

These would be useful if you were low HP or Energy. You could sleep in a bed and watch you Energy and HP recover and when you were done you would have to type what would be in a box to wake up. A chair would do the same, but you wouldn't have to type any words, but the rate of recovery would be slowed. Also you could make a portable bed (also known as a sleeping bag). It would work like a bed but the rate would be slowed by a little bit, since it isn't as comfy :roll: .

Kitchen:

You could make your very own kitchen! You could build shelves, tables, a range and even a windmill to get flour! (gone a little bit overboard there!). You could collect a certain amount of one ingredient and make a section in a shelf that you could collect ingredents from until it ran out! You could have a range, a sink for water, a windmill for flour (you could grow flour in an allotment patch) and a churn to make butter, cream and cheese!

Connectors:

If both players agreed, you could both build a connector to connect both your houses together so you could both hang out in each others houses at the very same time! However you still wouldn't be able to root in your friends crops, plants, items, etc. :roll:

Workshop:

Now THIS would be a great idea! You could make your own anvils, furnaces, toolkits, display shelf and even invite some seer's over to help you set up your very own ELEMENTAL WORKSHOP!!! MuaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!

Anyway, if I think of any more ideas I'll add them on to this!

CONS:

Carpentry levels could be hard to put up.

It could be just like Farming *shudders*.

The price of logs would increase.

Other people may not be able to see your work, just like Farming.

It may not even come by the end of the year!

POH may not have any use at all but just to look good.

If Jagex decides to have separate houses in separate locations, just imagine all the extra room they would need!!

There aren't many cons but if anything pops up I'll edit post and add it on.

alextg.png

gridblack.png

I don't know about POH i know they promised the houses and all but do u remember when they on April fools day they started sell toy horses in Draynor. I keep on thinking what happens if they make a joke out of it again such for xmas Santa hands out doll houses

kylacb1.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

I don't know about POH i know they promised the houses and all but do u remember when they on April fools day they started sell toy horses in Draynor. I keep on thinking what happens if they make a joke out of it again such for xmas Santa hands out doll houses

that would just be cruel

it's quite "dangerous" to implement a skill like carpentry. IMO:

Carpentry means wood work related items which occupies at least a space in the game (e.g. playermade chestbox, crate, boxes...etc) which leads to...

Anyone have experience in UO? ppl use box(es) to act as a blocking for range training. I think that would be quite similar and possible if carpentry can really use for making boxes.. etc. If that's the way carpentry is, the battling format will be greatly shifted to range/mage instead of melee.

However, maybe the game can limit the place to use those playmade carpentry items. May be boxes are only used in bank for self organising or u can only place boxes in certain area(e.g. coming player owned house) but that means the items is going to have no real use for a time (i.e. similar to flowers)

I would really like to have some park in runescape, player can make bench to sit, make chessboard for game(no need to go to game room)..etc.

Last. my guess is as follows:

**low level use knife on log to make plank

**higher wood gives better plank and different planks are required for different items or even a mix of them

**Carpentry items may worn out and need certain types of plank to repair

(ever tried the repairing of fences in Tai Bwo Wannai?)

**high level carpentry can make large items.. e.g carts, ships to sail around or have a mini game with reparing the ghost ship.

hellbellz Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would carpentry do? Make houses?

kylacb1 Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to first quote: its both to make houses like former pres and nobel prize winner jimmy carter and to make furniture etc. for your house

to second quote: lol! i would be so flicking angry if they did that! I no a lot of ppl would quit playing rs after a cruel joke like that! :wink: :wall:

i think that carpentry may be interesting... imean, what if they made it so if u make a chair, u regain energie faster, and if you sleep (i hope they bring that back) u regain hp faster or something, and u have like an instant tele to ur POH, that would make it all worth while, especially if u could make a chair in a minute and sell it for alot...

it might be good...but would it go along with the supposed houses that we might get? i mean, theres only so much stuff u can make with carpentry...bookshelves, tables, desks, chairs...all id care about it is total levels unless there was money to be made from it