Botting - The end of an era?

Latin

Some of you may know that a large botting site (RSbot) has recently been shut down.

The site had a massive member following of just over 49K users. They had a record of users online at one time at about 3K. RSbot is known as the largest open source RuneScape macro program.

The reason for it's shutdown has been credited with the fact that the owner of the site has had an on-going court battle with Jagex's lawyers. It is over the issue of violating copyright laws. The owner (Qauters) was ordered by British courts on Tuesday to shut down the site or face a fine of ₤1000 per day that the site was left up. With the threat of such a massive fine the owner was forced to shut down the site until the case had concluded.

The recent shut down of this site may deliver one massive blow to the RuneScape economy; due to the large amount of players that use this bot to gather items such as logs, fish, runes, etc. the prices of all of these are likely to increase dramatically. Of course items have already started to rocket due to the fact that the 2x experience weekend is fast approaching. But pile on the issue of slower production of commonly used items is essentially inevitable that these items are going to rise.

It would seem that Jagex is going to make an example out of RSbot, do you think that they will continue going after other botting sites?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

RSBot was the most popular, I haven't actually heard of any others tbh. Most botting sites are either very under the radar, not worth using(like it is easily bannable), or just plagued with viruses. Suing RSBot just killed the queen bee, and i think most will follow suit and quit the botting business. Maybe they'll learn to enjoy games themselves instead of letting their computers have the fun for them....nahhh.

Uh ya, many of my friends still use undetectable bots (at least, they haven't been detected for 6+ months).

Botting will never completely go away, but this is a nice moral blow to the botting community. Hopefully Jagex can keep this up just to dissuade new people from botting. The people who are already botting right now are lost causes..

-------------------------------------------------------------------

@Lord_Omar

This is srs bsns. DEATH TO ALL BOTTERS! OFF WITH DER HEADS! weeee

I think you're being a bit extreme, buddy. ;)

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Even if the site was shut down, wouldn't people who downloaded it still be able to use and share it?

Only the forums are down. The bot wasn't even hosted on the forums.

how cool do u really feel right now? loser

He's the reason why you're not paying 600gp for iron ore or 2k for a yew log. Loser. :thumbdown:

#1 thats a problem for jagex to fix, not botters

#2 ur RSN is syphilis, nuff' said

When was the last time Jagex fixed anything?

Even if the site was shut down, wouldn't people who downloaded it still be able to use and share it?

He's the reason why you're not paying 600gp for iron ore or 2k for a yew log. Loser. :thumbdown:

Graphical

Torch flames were appearing in the floor above in a few locations.

Fixed render issues with the Pendant of Armadyl and the Varrock achievement reward armour.

The giant hand from Balthazar Beauregard’s Big Top Bonanza has been adjusted to look better when wielded.

A couple of animation bugs have been fixed in the "Surprise Exam!" random event.

Guthan's bodies have been graphically adjusted so all four metal studs on the chest should now show correctly.

Hooknose Jack has been in a fight with our graphics team and his nose was bent in the scuffle.

The lunar helm no longer causes odd stretching.

The Stealing Creation reward staff should no longer clip through your shoulder when running.

The Stealing Creation platelegs reward has been lengthened by our craftsmen and now reach your feet.

Amulet of fury now sits closer to your chest.

The symbol on Father Lawrence's chest is no longer visible on his back in normal detail.

Part of a farmer's face was missing in low detail.

Dagon’hai robes no longer clip through the Falador Achievement Diary shield.

A section of wall was missing in Seers’ Village.

Some black grass has been repainted green like normal grass should be!

A specific ladder to a dungeon will no longer put you in some railings.

The final cutscene in As A First Resort has had its interface tweaked and now renders properly.

A cupboard was missing the back panel in the Exam Centre.

The ectoplasm-covered bed sheet has had its colour adjusted to be more in line with ectoplasm.

The ghostly Ahrim's robes have been corrected to match the non-ghostly version.

A rug in the Burthorpe Games Room was a bit dusty on the edges and has been cleaned.

Quests

The magic secateurs can now be used in "In Pyre Need".

"In Pyre Need" chat clarified in a few places.

The fight in "In Pyre Need" has been fixed to cover some odd circumstances.

Duke Horacio will now only give you an air talisman during Rune Mysteries when you have inventory space.

The quest journal for Eadgar's Ruse now correctly crosses off the requirements if you meet them.

The quest journal for the Holy Grail will now inform you if you've killed the Black Knight Titan.

The weapons master found in the Shield of Arrav quest now fights as one should.

Quest journals have been adjusted so they open at the top if you’ve not started a quest and at the bottom (as usual) if you’re on it.

Minigames

A few extra Stealing Creation quick chat phrases have been added.

Stealing Creation reward hammer now gives the correct experience for flatpacked furniture.

The Stealing Creation reward interface had the wrong number in a tool tip.

Stealing Creation items in the Fishing and Woodcutting skill guides are now correctly listed as members.

Villagers in Tai Bwo Wannai will now let you know what percentage of your favour remains after they pay you for helping out in the Tai Bwo Wannai Clean-up minigame.

The exclamation mark on the map in Temple Trekking/Burgh de Rott Ramble wasn’t showing up all the time, but now should.

The message you get at Bounty Hunter when the crater is full has been updated.

Miscellaneous

You will no longer have to fight more than one earth elemental at once.

The phoenix pouch gave the wrong experience when created because the charm required changed during development.

Several interfaces have been updated code-wise (there’s little or no visual difference).

Several typos and grammatical errors have been fixed.

A table in Sophanem had the wrong examine.

Penguin emotes are properly kept across sessions.

The splash sound has been synchronised with a stepping stone Agility shortcut if you fail and fall into water.

The “Shining” music track had incorrect unlock information.

"Addy" items have been changed to "Adamant" to help you find them on the Grand Exchange.

The code checks on the Oo'glog pools have been improved and optimised.

Do you want more?

[hide]

Graphical

Torch flames were appearing in the floor above in a few locations.

Fixed render issues with the Pendant of Armadyl and the Varrock achievement reward armour.

The giant hand from Balthazar Beauregards Big Top Bonanza has been adjusted to look better when wielded.

A couple of animation bugs have been fixed in the "Surprise Exam!" random event.

Guthan's bodies have been graphically adjusted so all four metal studs on the chest should now show correctly.

Hooknose Jack has been in a fight with our graphics team and his nose was bent in the scuffle.

The lunar helm no longer causes odd stretching.

The Stealing Creation reward staff should no longer clip through your shoulder when running.

The Stealing Creation platelegs reward has been lengthened by our craftsmen and now reach your feet.

Amulet of fury now sits closer to your chest.

The symbol on Father Lawrence's chest is no longer visible on his back in normal detail.

Part of a farmer's face was missing in low detail.

Dagonhai robes no longer clip through the Falador Achievement Diary shield.

A section of wall was missing in Seers Village.

Some black grass has been repainted green like normal grass should be!

A specific ladder to a dungeon will no longer put you in some railings.

The final cutscene in As A First Resort has had its interface tweaked and now renders properly.

A cupboard was missing the back panel in the Exam Centre.

The ectoplasm-covered bed sheet has had its colour adjusted to be more in line with ectoplasm.

The ghostly Ahrim's robes have been corrected to match the non-ghostly version.

A rug in the Burthorpe Games Room was a bit dusty on the edges and has been cleaned.

Quests

The magic secateurs can now be used in "In Pyre Need".

"In Pyre Need" chat clarified in a few places.

The fight in "In Pyre Need" has been fixed to cover some odd circumstances.

Duke Horacio will now only give you an air talisman during Rune Mysteries when you have inventory space.

The quest journal for Eadgar's Ruse now correctly crosses off the requirements if you meet them.

The quest journal for the Holy Grail will now inform you if you've killed the Black Knight Titan.

The weapons master found in the Shield of Arrav quest now fights as one should.

Quest journals have been adjusted so they open at the top if youve not started a quest and at the bottom (as usual) if youre on it.

Minigames

A few extra Stealing Creation quick chat phrases have been added.

Stealing Creation reward hammer now gives the correct experience for flatpacked furniture.

The Stealing Creation reward interface had the wrong number in a tool tip.

Stealing Creation items in the Fishing and Woodcutting skill guides are now correctly listed as members.

Villagers in Tai Bwo Wannai will now let you know what percentage of your favour remains after they pay you for helping out in the Tai Bwo Wannai Clean-up minigame.

The exclamation mark on the map in Temple Trekking/Burgh de Rott Ramble wasnt showing up all the time, but now should.

The message you get at Bounty Hunter when the crater is full has been updated.

Miscellaneous

You will no longer have to fight more than one earth elemental at once.

The phoenix pouch gave the wrong experience when created because the charm required changed during development.

Several interfaces have been updated code-wise (theres little or no visual difference).

Several typos and grammatical errors have been fixed.

A table in Sophanem had the wrong examine.

Penguin emotes are properly kept across sessions.

The splash sound has been synchronised with a stepping stone Agility shortcut if you fail and fall into water.

The Shining music track had incorrect unlock information.

"Addy" items have been changed to "Adamant" to help you find them on the Grand Exchange.

The code checks on the Oo'glog pools have been improved and optimised.

Do you want more?

[/hide]

I'm talking in terms of gameplay, obviously, not bugfixes or updates most people don't even care about. I thought that was rather obvious. Fail troll.

I'm talking in terms of gameplay, obviously, not bugfixes or updates most people don't even care about. I thought that was rather obvious. Fail troll.

Troll - n - One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Learn what troll means before you call someone a troll. There is no such thing as a gameplay "fix". You said "when has jagex ever fixed anything" and I gave you a small list of things they have fixed.

If you mean gameplay improvements or content additions, then make yourself clearer. Good try though kid, get back on RSOF before you embarrass yourself ;)

Troll - n - One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

Learn what troll means before you call someone a troll. There is no such thing as a gameplay "fix". You said "when has jagex ever fixed anything" and I gave you a small list of things they have fixed.

If you mean gameplay improvements or content additions, then make yourself clearer. Good try though kid, get back on RSOF before you embarrass yourself ;)

You could, you know, maybe read the quote tree in my post?

Kid? Don't even start.

Step back, Cool it.

OT:

Botting will always be a problem so long as there are people that play RuneScape and have an interest in computer science/programming.

In other news, I bought 20m worth of silver ore today. I think I might just hang on to it for a bit longer than I was planning.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

You could, you know, maybe read the quote tree in my post?

Kid? Don't even start.

Or you could, you know, stop this pointless argument.

Let's not flame boys. Keep it on topic.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

[...]

Maybe they'll learn to enjoy games themselves instead of letting their computers have the fun for them....nahhh.

There are many people out there who have more fun making the bots, and seeing how long it takes for jagex to detect it than they have playing the game in the way you and I do. Just like there are some people who enjoy pking more than skilling. Heck, to some people, making bots is just a game (oh wait). Just because someone who doesn't enjoy the game in the intended manor should not mean that they should not play. A good friend of mine, does just that. To him, the fun in runescape is making a bot, trying to perfect it in every way possible. Whenever he's got some free time he just tinkers with his scripts. It's what he enjoys. He never sells what his bots gather, he doesn't sell the accounts or any thing so he's not really ruining the game experience for any one else. Well, I guess a bit cause he does take up a training spot. But does a regular player not take one up as well? I don't see much difference in him taking up a training spot to have his fun by testing, or another player using the same spot to have their fun for whatever reason.

Am I saying jagex should stop banning bots just because some people find it fun? Not at all. Heck, my friend would probably stop if they did that. Getting banned is like the end of a test for him or whatever. Cant quite word it like him, but I'm sure you understand. It's clear that some people use bots because they want to get good, but they don't want to spend the time it takes to achieve that. Which would be quite unfair to those who cant program, imo. It wouldn't quite make their achievements theirs for either, nor would they be achievements for that matter.

Anyway, all I'm really trying to say here is to keep an open mind. It seems to many botters automatically get stereotyped as bad, lazy, people who ruin the game or who don't know how to play it properly. I'd agree in some occassions. Some people really are just lazy and want to get that 99 with less work. Though that is not really the case. Also I'm not really directing all of this to you, GuardKnox, I just figured I'd quote you since it sort of shows the general assumption lots of people have when it comes to botters.

cheezysigtipit.png

High-alching that REALLY expensive item in my inventory looks more and more tempting with every beer I drink.

amazing how like every thread on here is starting to get alot more trolling then i use to see on here... Dont really like what its doing to the forums.

anyway on topic, I doubt this will slow botting all that much, there really isnt that much of it happening anyway (well compared to a couple years ago). sure it might turn a few people off, but if people want to bot they are just going to do it another way.