Would like to make a game like Arena Scape

Siedge

Dear Members

First I would like to no how to make Arena Scape i am only 11 but i already learned 10% of HTML in a hour but i really would like to make a game like Arena Scape and do not no how to make one like it i think it is made in PHP and could someone help me becuase i am only 11 and havnt had a education in any of this

thank you for reading this

I will edit this later

Yours Truly

-Siedge

you've been studying html for AN HOUR? and want to make a website like AREANASCAPE? Sericously, learn like 99% of html, 80% of php, alot of javascript and mysql commands, then ask again.

I've ben working with html for about 2 years. kinda fell out of it last year, and i've started again recently, and i couldn't code something like arena scape.....

I've got about 90% of html, 50-60% of css, 60-70% of php, and i'm working on learning javascript and jquery right now. and i doubt i'd get half of the coding used on arenascape. Kid, get over it, you'll be lucky to take highschool classes and be able to code something even close to arenascape!

Proud Ubuntu User!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Scott Adams

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.-Emo Phillips

My Blog!

TyrantElf.png

TyrantElf.png

@Above, Aww, don't shoot people down before they've even got going - need to start somewhere and aiming high's not the end of the world! :)

However, ilovetopk is quite right in some ways, site-based games like ArenaScape are rather more sophisticated than your average block of HTML-code and you'll need to get quite a bit more proficient with other languages before you look to make something like that.

Stick with the basics of HTML for now, if you find yourself enjoying that - make a few side projects, see what fancy web-designs you can get up with just your current knowledge, try and make a few innovative things that challenge you! :) Once you think you're pretty good with that, read around a bit - the Internet's article base, particularly on languages is fantastic! PHP, JavaScript and SQL-Database manipulation tends to be the next few steps people go by, so have a play around with those and see if you can understand how they all work.

Once you really feel like you're the best there is - take a bash at making something like ArenaScape, or even just a simpler game but with the same core-concept!

Most of all, enjoy the ride! It's the learning that's the best part of it all. :)

Edit :- I've always found that w3schools is a fantastic resource for a lot of guides on getting to know the beginnings of things - there may be small things that you'll need to search elsewhere for tips, but for the most part I found I got a lot of use out of it. Their homepage is at this URL: http://www.w3schools.com/

Hehe. Glad you made a thread. :)

I think it's great you have high goals for your age. Take it a step at a time and you'll get to the point of a game someday. :)

Many of the coders for our site started young as well and can do more than some adults. :P

Nic

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

I started trying to program when I was 12, I totally failed but one day PHP clicked for me and I was coding for the crew when I was 14. It didn't work out with school so I had to leave, but I learned quite a bit there and now it has even influenced my choice of school.

That's my programming life story in short but my point is that there is no reason why an 11 year old shouldn't be able to program. Personally I always recommend learning from books (Except for HTML, I learned that from my sister and hard knocks) so if you can pick up a book on PHP it should help you get this game started.

C2b6gs7.png

You know, as much as it's good to have lofty ambitions, don't set yourself unreasonable goals. You would need to be competent with Javascript, html, css, php and mysql to make something like arenascape.

Try mastering html/css first - they can be great fun and are great building blocks for future learning.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Personally I like your motivation.

It was making simple games which got me into coding in the first place.

Don't aim for web based games its much easier to start with non-web based language.

I'm sure someone will say otherwise, but its a lot easier to start learning the basics with something like vb or python which doesn't require any other language to make basic dynamic content.

Web coding requires the use of 2+ markup languages (html and css being the base) then a client side and/or a server side language. On top of this you'll want to add a a database of some sort into the mix too.

Which is all a lot to take in when your just learning the basic concepts.

http://www.tizag.com

http://www.w3schools.com

^2 of the best sites to learn from.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Dear Members

First I would like to no how to make Arena Scape i am only 11 but i already learned 10% of HTML in a hour but i really would like to make a game like Arena Scape and do not no how to make one like it i think it is made in PHP and could someone help me becuase i am only 11 and havnt had a education in any of this

thank you for reading this

I will edit this later

Yours Truly

-Siedge

How much is "10% of HTML"? Knowing the tags isn't enough to make you a master - you need to learn how to use them. And that requires time and practice.

By the way, don't try to make a new, complex game. Do something simple first. A single RPG fight is very good for a first game. Quite easy to make, but still requires the basic things of every single game - input (what you want to do), logic (what happens - damage calculations etc) and output (show what happened).

Oh and as said before, begin with a non-web based language. I also recommend Python, as it's very easy to learn.

Start off with something small then expand on it. You could build a basic game with one skill then slowly add new skills and figure out ways to make some skills interact.

As another user said, I would not try and create my first game using a web-based language. Java, VB, or Python would work for non web based games. The first game I ever made was a pong game in VB. I started with player vs. player. After i got the concepts down, I added player vs computer(AI). By the time I was done with it, I could have four players playing against each other at the same time over a LAN or the internet. I was 13 when I made that. I am 18 now. So just start with basic concepts then expand upon them.

okay, i'm sorry about my first post, it was kind of mean.. you will still need php, javascript and mysql queries down before you even try something like that.

Proud Ubuntu User!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Scott Adams

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.-Emo Phillips

My Blog!

TyrantElf.png

TyrantElf.png

Motivation is good, however I do suggest that you play a number of text-based games to get an understanding of what you will have to achieve with the game engine.

Hmm. An aspiring young programmer. The best advice I can offer is be determined, don't give up, practice practice practice and teach yourself. In my experience, all the best programmers I know were self taught.

If you keep it up then someday you'll be able to create a game like ArenaScape and more without ever even having taken a class. You could even teach your professors more than they teach you, and take 400 level classes in your first year of college no problem. ;)

Goood luck...

PS - Most universities today teach Java. Do yourself a favor and learn C/C++ before you get there. You'll thank yourself. And do me a favor and give your Java professors a hard time for teaching Java. Tell them every language is better than Java. Much entertainment usually results.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.