Runescape 'Instant-Demo'

Arch_Tyrant

I'm still on the side that F2P is not a demo.

These are the arguments I've heard so far in the past few pages of this thread, with regards to how F2P is a demo.

It's Jagex's marketing scheme to call it not a demo

Don't forget, Runescape started off as purely F2P, and later added on the "Member's expansion" to give further contents for those who wished to pay. The content that was available to F2Pers at the time, and still now, is not used to promote P2P. Similarly, sure, if you compare the size of a game without an expansion pack to a game with it, surely the game without the expansion pack is more limited than the one with, but does that always make the solo game, without the expansion pack a demo? By far, no!

AND by every legitimate definition, F2P is a demo.

-Free

-Greatly limited content

-Updates once in a blue moon

-You run out of NEW things to do in a matter of hours

-The full game waiting on the other side of that $5 bill in your wallet (or piggy bank in your instance)

Now let's slow down there, you have several fundamental flaws in your definition of the demo there. First of all, since when does a free, rarely updated game become categorized as a demo? If so, all those "games" or by your definition, "demos" on those popular gaming sites such as Miniclip or Addictinggames immediately fall into those categories. My retort for the greatly limited content was already stated above, so I won't state it again.

Now, I'm sure you can get to 99 smithing on F2P in the matter of hours right? This simple question already nullifies your 4th claim. There is plenty of things to do on F2P, that will definitely last you more than a year, given that you are a moderate/normal player. Also, if you've ever tried your hand at FOG, GOP or even Pking, every situation is new each time, you very rarely fall into the same situation two or more times in a row, where it's the same boring thing again. There is plenty of new stuff to always do on F2P, people just overlook it.

What defines full game? Is a game with the expansion pack the full game, or is it already a full game without one?

Although I can't say I've played World of Warcraft to a full extent, it has definitely given me more advertising towards buying it's expansion packs than Runescape has towards buying members has in recent years.

~Dan

Note: If you simply decide to retort to my arguments with "Jagex lover@@@" or some stupid nonsense that has no logical backing, I'm not even going to bother responding any further, there's no point arguing with a tree.

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt say F2P is a demo. Its not like at level 50 attack, a message pops up saying "You have reached the maximum F2P Level in this skill." you can go all the way to 99 if you want.

The instant demo is a demo because it does exactly this, only at level 20.

Now, if F2P were able to train slayer/herblore/fletching to say 20 or 25 then have to become a member to get more exp, THAT would make F2P a demo in my eyes.

One of the reason people say F2P is a demo is because it's primary objective is to promote the game (P2P) and entice player to get membership.

I've not loggued in a F2P world in ages, but at the time, there were closed doors west of falador that locked you out of P2P territory. You could see the edges of what Taverley looked like.

So the argument that Taverly is not F2P is kinda un-true. When the "expansion" of the full-game (F2P as some claims) is way bigger than the full game, it becomes justified to debate which one is the true full game.

Claiming that F2P is not limited is pretty short-sighted, just take a look at the numerous items F2Pers can use but can't get except via trades with P2Pers. The other way around is not something you will see.

I'll still say F2P is a demo because of its use for the company, but granted, it's a very complete and nearly limitless demo.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

To end the endless flaming -.-

I'm actually finding it alright, no chat is annoying, but i actually prefer it because it's more of a singleplayer style, you have to get everything yourself, and tbh it can have a overall positive impact on the game's future i think ^_^.

Almost lvl 25.. 100k bank =D

ITT: College kids try to act like their business associates degree (college equivalent of a GED) makes them more qualified than a CEO.

There are several forms of MMO business models but we won't go into that right now. There is no such thing as a "demo" in the MMO world, there are only "trials" and there are fundamental differences between the two.

1. A demo applies to the non-MMO genre.

2. A demo is never updated, at all, unless the developer wishes to fix several bugs.

3. An MMO "trial" is subject to the same patches as the full game.

4. A demo is almost always segregated from the full game, should multiplayer elements even be included.

Free To Play: Many free to play games are dubbed "Free to play, pay to compete" as they more often than not have a cash shop, and usually one that gives perks in player vs player combat. It is not often you will find a free to play game that does not have some form of cash shop (Shadowbane is one of the few MMOs to opt for in-game advertisements). It is important to note that a free to play game does not carry any option for "membership", although some may offer subscriptions in the form of a certain amount of cash shop currency being delivered each month.

Freemium: This is the category Runescape falls into. Technically a subdivision of the free to play brand, freemium allows players a full game for free, but with the added option of getting premium options by paying a fee, hence the name freemium (free-premium). Although this varies per business, freemium models in the MMO genre are not time-limited. The fundamental difference between freemium and an unlimited trial, in this respect, is that the free portion of a freemium title can be considered a full game in and of itself. Although a soft-wall exists in freemium titles, where players may be limited in world-space, an unlimited trial is freely admitted as a small taste of a full game.

To better make the comparison, a free vanilla ice cream cone, with napkins and access to a bathroom, would constitute the free portion of a freemium title, with sprinkles, syrup, a drink, cherries, and other amenities being the "premium" service.

Unlimited trial: The unlimited trial only began catching steam in the past year or two, with titles including Champions Online, Warhammer Online, and Global Agenda being among the MMOs that are switching to this business model. In the unlimited trial, a player has free reign to take in the game at their own pace, owing to internal research showing that the fifteen day trial was overall not long enough to give players a satisfying look at the game. Unlimited trials offer no time limit, but always impose some form of limit on levels. In Warhammer Online, for instance, players are limited to tier 1 (up to level 10), while Champions Online restricts players to the first fifteen levels, and the Qulaar Invasion area (to be changed at an unknown date).

To continue the ice cream analogy, an unlimited trial would be the option to sample (if you've seen those thimble sized cups and fingernail sized spoons, you'll know what I'm talking about) a couple flavors, but just large enough to have a taste.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Huh. I was going to make a long and well thought out post, but Omali covered all the points I was going to cover, better than I could have covered them.

P2P forever!... Or at least 'til <insert excuse here> happens

Falterflame.png

98% of people have signatures with made up statistics in them. If you're one of the 2% that doesn't, copy this and add it to your signature.

How do I play the demo? I've looked all over and can't find out how to log in.

Load it up from another site, like Miniclip, and it will give you that option.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

How do I play the demo? I've looked all over and can't find out how to log in.

Load it up from another site, like Miniclip, and it will give you that option.

~Dan

Works for me off the RS client and i've had this client dled for like 5 years? played for 9 lol? O_O

The item value in the Demo Mode is kind'a .. wrong. I had 100 big bones .. in other words I should have 43k ... but IMO the street price of a big bone in the demo should be around 85 gold, in other words - I had 8.5k. If you get my idea ...

If they have released a Demo to let new players get a feel of the game and how to move around in it, does that mean the Tutorial you have to complete after registering will be removed?

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Well you start with Unstable Foundations and after you finish it you are pretty much .. on your own .. Well yeah you have the adviser but who's gonna use him ..

New people who actually need the advisor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

New people tend to ignore any tutorial, FAQ, advisers unless they are forced to and tend to shout "how the f can I do X". Since the only chat in the Demo is Quick chat, most of the newbies are just going to give up at that point ...

• 2 months later...