Cars

Atom Smash40

And god damn, diesel ain't that bad.

You've obviously never had to repair either a diesel motor or diesel pump. :P

Fun science fact: diesel is so oily that it doesn't evaporate. That's why the area around a diesel pump always looks dirty, and Shell (at least in Canada) has started colouring those pumps mostly black.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

We've had 3 engines on our car by now and I've made my fingers oily more than enough.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

• 3 months later...

Bump. Wondering if anyone overseas (Europe or Oceania) sees many standard (manual transmission) pickup trucks over there. Been thinking how cool it would be to have one, but they're few and far between here.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I'm in America, and my brother has a 2000 manual Ranger.

I have a 2006 manual tiburon.

I said pickup trucks :P (Rangers don't count, because they're shit.)

polvCwJ.gif

Whaaaaat, rangers are great trucks. Anyways, my aunt has a 2006 dodge ram that's a manual. She owns a horse breeding company, so it has the bed converted into a trailer hauling bed-thing though. Has like a 6L V8, and dual back tires. Does that count?

2s0cxth.png

Whaaaaat, rangers are great trucks. Anyways, my aunt has a 2006 dodge ram that's a manual. She owns a horse breeding company, so it has the bed converted into a trailer hauling bed-thing though. Has like a 6L V8, and dual back tires. Does that count?

The RAM counts. Every ranger I've ever driven in has had a shitty v4...it was like driving a car in a pickup's body. I won't judge a v8...but to me if you're going to get a v8 and dual back tires you might as well get an f150 over a ranger.

polvCwJ.gif

Many of the early-mid 90's Toyota pickups (Hilux, for those elsewhere in the world) that I see around here have manual transmissions. V6 engine, too.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Like this one?

tumblr_m4e2skrpc41r37mdho1_500.jpg

It was a manual transmission too. :P

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Do americans class "driving stick" as driving automatic? lately everyone who says it reefers to automatic. I mean, you use a manual gear STICK to change gears often....why would you call IT manual, and auto "stick"?

Also I have to do a 10-hour drive in my car end of month. That'll be cool...except the Air con needs a new system as it still runs the R-12 gas (which is now illegal) and it has none of said gas left and isnt as simple as just shoving a different gas in.

and the fuel tank sensor is skewy and only picks up 20/50L tank.

Popoto.~<3

I've always referred to "driving stick" as driving a manual transmission. Afaik that's pretty much the norm here in North America.

Make it five.

Also, I quite like the look of this... thing:

http://www.autemo.com/dc/users/1/AT3MO/40/chops/Bugatti_Veyron_1945_by_rc82_workchop.jpg

It's a combination of a Volkswagen Bug and a Bugatti Veyron. Very cool.

• Like 1

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Do americans class "driving stick" as driving automatic? lately everyone who says it reefers to automatic. I mean, you use a manual gear STICK to change gears often....why would you call IT manual, and auto "stick"?

Also I have to do a 10-hour drive in my car end of month. That'll be cool...except the Air con needs a new system as it still runs the R-12 gas (which is now illegal) and it has none of said gas left and isnt as simple as just shoving a different gas in.

I'm assuming you're from europe, if its anything like the american r12-r134 process, its pretty much that..... fittings need to be changed and the system needs to be evacuated for the new gas and oil. Some cars will need their driers replaced.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

You god damn 'Muricans and your silly laws.

You're silly Europeans for not wanting to sell your fuel efficient cars to the Americans.

Actually, diesel is cheaper than gas now in a few states.

Just California, as far as I can tell.

And seriously, VW Polo Bluemotion gets 71 mpg combined... No hybrid can get anywhere near it.

...which is calculated on the European cycle, which is anywhere between 20 and 30% higher than the U.S. cycle. Taking that into account puts the Polo squarely in the sights of the Prius, which is a larger car.

Actually your whole car industry could build a lot more fuel-efficient cars,

How about the rapidly growing number of cars that we build that don't use any fuel at all?

And I seriously can't get the American hate for diesel cars. For come on, we have a 20-years old VW Passat, that is HUUUGE, it has a 1.9 diesel engine and gets 40 MPG (American). And you have it a big deal if a car gets over 30 MPG, or at least that's what I've seen reading American car forums and websites.

The hate carries over from the (previously correct) idea that diesel cars are loud and smokey. Just 10 years ago VW was exporting diesel Jettas to the U.S. that make quite a racket (I've heard a few examples over the past couple months). Maybe efficient diesels will catch on here one day, but it's clear that U.S. and Asian manufactures are going the direction of electric cars and it seems the European manufactures have little desire to export their best diesels to the U.S.

You also forgot to add the higher price of diesel engines (and the the trims they go in) due to emissions regulations.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

A year and a half ago, my company built two LNG (liquified natural gas) depots for a trucking company; one in Montreal and one in Toronto. About 1/3 of their fleet are LNG powered trucks now. It's cheaper than diesel fuel, and delivers more power but they can't go quite as far. They're currently planning to build two more depots between the two they already have so they can replace more trucks and have them make the entire run back and forth.

So far those are the only two I know of in Canada, but from what I understand it's a big thing in California.

A year and a half ago, my company built two LNG (liquified natural gas) depots for a trucking company; one in Montreal and one in Toronto. About 1/3 of their fleet are LNG powered trucks now. It's cheaper than diesel fuel, and delivers more power but they can't go quite as far. They're currently planning to build two more depots between the two they already have so they can replace more trucks and have them make the entire run back and forth.

So far those are the only two I know of in Canada, but from what I understand it's a big thing in California.

Interesting. But Propane and LNG aren't the same thing....from what I've heard of propane the engine power is the same, the engines run cleaner, but you can't go quite as far. It's also cheaper.

The major drawback is trying to fill it up...we seem to have one propane station where I live...

polvCwJ.gif

I'm assuming you're from europe, if its anything like the american r12-r134 process, its pretty much that..... fittings need to be changed and the system needs to be evacuated for the new gas and oil. Some cars will need their driers replaced.

check the location next to my name ;)

When I had it checked, aside from ridding what gas there is, there's a few parts that need changing, pressure needs changing, new gas, thermo needs adjusting and even then theres only an 60% chance it'll work. the 40% is it'll break the entire air-con system.

Popoto.~<3

[interesting. But Propane and LNG aren't the same thing....from what I've heard of propane the engine power is the same, the engines run cleaner, but you can't go quite as far. It's also cheaper.

The major drawback is trying to fill it up...we seem to have one propane station where I live...

Yeah, I know they're not the same but propane is really falling out of favor here. Back in the 90's it was all the rage; taxis, delivery trucks, even some buses, but people started moving away from it when the price started going up. I only know of one place left in Ottawa that still sells it, and it's almost as expensive as gasoline is.

A few places have started selling E85 (85% ethanol) and a lot of the major car manufacturers make E85 compatible vehicles. I'm not sure about the price, but given how expensive the parts for the pumps are (it requires special seals and treated aluminum casings) I can only imagine what it costs to fix the cars.