Cars

Atom Smash40

• 3 weeks later...

They're very nice looking car. I looked into getting one when they came out, but as I'm 6'5" and pushing two and a half bills it's a bit too small for me. :P

Good for you getting the manual version. Everyone should know how to drive a stick. :thumbup:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I find it pretty spacious for its size, actually. I'm not 6'5" 250, but I'm 6'1" and I havr plenty of room. My buddy who's 6'2" sat in the back and commented on the legroom as well..

Getting pretty good at driving stick. Still a tad slow getting into first but it's barely noticeable.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

• 2 weeks later...

We have a tremendous amount of jokes regarding Americans and manual gearboxes here in Europe. Manuals are practically everywhere and I don't really know people who would prefer an auto. Then again, I also know maybe 1-2 people, who prefer a gasoline engine over a diesel engine... But you 'Muricans are freaking stupid in that regard :D , as a VW Polo BlueMotion gets nearly 1.5 times the MPG of a Prius and yet I haven't heard it really selling any in your country (at least compared to the Prius).

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

We have a tremendous amount of jokes regarding Americans and manual gearboxes here in Europe. Manuals are practically everywhere and I don't really know people who would prefer an auto. Then again, I also know maybe 1-2 people, who prefer a gasoline engine over a diesel engine... But you 'Muricans are freaking stupid in that regard biggrin.gif , as a VW Polo BlueMotion gets nearly 1.5 times the MPG of a Prius and yet I haven't heard it really selling any in your country (at least compared to the Prius).

None of the VW cars sold in the U.S. get more MPG than a Prius. And you also have to consider that diesel is more expensive than gasoline.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I really do wonder how somebody can learn to drive in an automatic. A vast majority of the learning from when I learnt was clutch control. With an auto, all you have to learn is how to steer and do a theory test. think anybody who learns in an auto should have a second grade licence only allowing them to drive an automatic, needing a further test with a manual car to attain the full licence allowing the driving of any car.

• Like 1

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

We have a tremendous amount of jokes regarding Americans and manual gearboxes here in Europe. Manuals are practically everywhere and I don't really know people who would prefer an auto. Then again, I also know maybe 1-2 people, who prefer a gasoline engine over a diesel engine... But you 'Muricans are freaking stupid in that regard biggrin.gif , as a VW Polo BlueMotion gets nearly 1.5 times the MPG of a Prius and yet I haven't heard it really selling any in your country (at least compared to the Prius).

I'm not sure what I read here.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The problem with diesel in North America is that it has a negative connotation of being 'dirty' and, therefore, bad for the environment. This outdated notion is, of course, ridiculous as evolving technologies (like the increasing use of DEF) have lowered diesel exhaust emissions to a fraction of what they once were. It's not unlike high efficiency incineration, which I understand is gaining popularity in Europe but no one over here is even willing to look twice at because they think burning = smoke = pollution.

As for automatic vs manual transmissions, I'll just say this: In the middle of a blinding snowstorm or freezing rain, neither of which are uncommon several months out of the year, I'd rather be focusing on not sliding into the ditch than what gear I'm in. It's still good to know how to drive both, but I know which I prefer in my work truck. ;)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

As for automatic vs manual transmissions, I'll just say this: In the middle of a blinding snowstorm or freezing rain, neither of which are uncommon several months out of the year, I'd rather be focusing on not sliding into the ditch than what gear I'm in. It's still good to know how to drive both, but I know which I prefer in my work truck. ;)

Once you get the hang of the manual transmission, you don't even think in what gear it is, you just put it in the right one. At home we always had standard cars and the driving school had automatic cars, so I passed my license with an automatic, but by then I already was used to driving manual. Also manuals are easier to maneuver in ice and snow storms. (I mean we get 30cm snow storms at least once a week here, during most of the winter).

The problem with diesel in North America is that it has a negative connotation of being 'dirty' and, therefore, bad for the environment. This outdated notion is, of course, ridiculous as evolving technologies (like the increasing use of DEF) have lowered diesel exhaust emissions to a fraction of what they once were. It's not unlike high efficiency incineration, which I understand is gaining popularity in Europe but no one over here is even willing to look twice at because they think burning = smoke = pollution.

If you however are in that situation with a manual, when used to an auto one, you're in a pretty bad position. I'd prefer driving an automatic one, but learning should always be on a manual imo. Transitioning from manual to auto is pretty easy. The other way around is way harder. Here, if you get your licence on an auto one, you may not drive manual at all.

You god damn 'Muricans and your silly laws. Actually, diesel is cheaper than gas now in a few states. And seriously, VW Polo Bluemotion gets 71 mpg combined... No hybrid can get anywhere near it. But yes, you 'Muricans can't get it. Actually your whole car industry could build a lot more fuel-efficient cars, but those CAFE rules are counterproductive. You should read Jalopnik for more about it.

And I seriously can't get the American hate for diesel cars. For come on, we have a 20-years old VW Passat, that is HUUUGE, it has a 1.9 diesel engine and gets 40 MPG (American). And you have it a big deal if a car gets over 30 MPG, or at least that's what I've seen reading American car forums and websites.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

You god damn 'Muricans and your silly laws.

You're silly Europeans for not wanting to sell your fuel efficient cars to the Americans.

Actually, diesel is cheaper than gas now in a few states.

Just California, as far as I can tell.

And seriously, VW Polo Bluemotion gets 71 mpg combined... No hybrid can get anywhere near it.

...which is calculated on the European cycle, which is anywhere between 20 and 30% higher than the U.S. cycle. Taking that into account puts the Polo squarely in the sights of the Prius, which is a larger car.

Actually your whole car industry could build a lot more fuel-efficient cars,

How about the rapidly growing number of cars that we build that don't use any fuel at all?

And I seriously can't get the American hate for diesel cars. For come on, we have a 20-years old VW Passat, that is HUUUGE, it has a 1.9 diesel engine and gets 40 MPG (American). And you have it a big deal if a car gets over 30 MPG, or at least that's what I've seen reading American car forums and websites.

The hate carries over from the (previously correct) idea that diesel cars are loud and smokey. Just 10 years ago VW was exporting diesel Jettas to the U.S. that make quite a racket (I've heard a few examples over the past couple months). Maybe efficient diesels will catch on here one day, but it's clear that U.S. and Asian manufactures are going the direction of electric cars and it seems the European manufactures have little desire to export their best diesels to the U.S.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

How about the rapidly growing number of cars that we build that don't use any fuel at all?

Elaborate?

Anything by Tesla, Chevy Volt, Ford Focus or C-MAX. Or did you just want to get into technicalities, such as "most 'American' cars aren't built in America" or "you have to use gas to charge an electric car"?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

Elaborate?

Anything by Tesla, Chevy Volt, Ford Focus or C-MAX. Or did you just want to get into technicalities, such as "most 'American' cars aren't built in America" or "you have to use gas to charge an electric car"?

Electricity still counts as fuel tbh. You still have to stop x number of miles to 'fill the tank', and still has an amount of emissions stemming from the creation of the electricity.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Well, otherwise it would be a perpetuum mobile and according to the natural laws of energy, such things cannot happen.

And god damn, diesel ain't that bad.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Elaborate?

Electricity still counts as fuel tbh. You still have to stop x number of miles to 'fill the tank', and still has an amount of emissions stemming from the creation of the electricity.

Yes, but that amount of emissions is less. Or in places like where I live, where we're 100% hydro, essentially nonexistent.

• Like 1

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png