Cars

Atom Smash40

Why do you guys like VW so much? They seem to break down on the side of the road after only a couple fo years. I think Toyota is the way to go, my 10 year old toyota never broke down.

2n1web.jpg

Not the best picture, but it is our new "family possession"

Has a 350 that we just had rebuilt this winter..working on putting it back in right now. Surprisingly only has 39k miles on it, and it won 2nd place at a car-show before we did any work to it. Have it for just about a year now! It is an 84.

Turnpikes.png

Why do you guys like VW so much? They seem to break down on the side of the road after only a couple fo years. I think Toyota is the way to go, my 10 year old toyota never broke down.

Any car will be on the side of the road if you don't take care of it. I own both now and my Toyota has died in the middle of the road from neglect, so has my VW.

Some cars take abuse in certain ways better than other cars and some fair worse.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

Guest jrhairychest

Have to agree with that. Japanese cars always top the reliability charts.

Hey so I need a new vehicle for my family, and we've narrowed down the choices to either the Mercedez GLK, or BMW x1. Can anyone give me their opinions, always like to hear other peoples thoughts :)

Currently owner of a 1992 VW Eurovan and a 335d.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, got a Vincheck for my Jetta for free from a reliable source. two years before i bought the car the last registered mileage from a state inspection was 199k. I bought the car with 172,175 on it . I'd estimate its around 220k now. Lol what is it with me and shady cars?

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think I just found my first new car I am going to buy...eventually.

Fiat 500

For some odd reason this car has intrigued me since I have seen the ads for it on TV. The price even for the mid version is something I can work with. It's stylish, something different, and is something I'd like to get. Hopefully in the nexy couple years when I finally move out from the house here and get my first degree I can get this little beauty.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Oh god not a Fiat 500. D:

Good for a first small new car, but for my personal tastes, is like driving a Hyundai Getz Bubble version.

Those Fiats have had a reputation of being cheap and horrible cars. I don't know if the quality has improved, but you would probably be better off with something else...

Good for a first small new car, but for my personal tastes, is like driving a Hyundai Getz Bubble version.

Those Fiats have had a reputation of being cheap and horrible cars. I don't know if the quality has improved, but you would probably be better off with something else...

From the reviews I have read over the past few days the quality of the cars have grown a lot from previous years. I will be sure to do more research before I actually buy it, but it's something to look foreword to.

Does anyone do any restoring of old or beat-up cars? It's intrigued me recently...

I haven't but it's something I've always wanted to, just never had time nor money to get it started.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Does anyone do any restoring of old or beat-up cars? It's intrigued me recently...

Never restoring old, old cars but if my dad can get a half decent one that needs work cheap enough I help him fix it, from this I've done body work, painting, helped change an engine, taken a couple dents out and other stuff but not completely restoring or anything of that kind, although I do know someone who does this, then sells the one he built after a couple years to help start/pay for the next one.

New Fiats are great quality. Old ones weren't at all, that's why Fiat pulled out of the U.S. all those years ago.

My dad is really into it, but doesn't have the space or time right now for a project. We've both put time in on friends cars though... I love old cars and would really love to do a restoration myself some day.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I think these cares are quite ugly, honestly.

As for my own car, I love it, it might have been in the familly for 11 years but it still looks pretty awesome for it's age. 3 years since I bought it from my parents and I put an average of $100/year in repairs. Also passed the 300 000 Km mark last week.

[hide]

2rzt9ua.jpg

33w5hxu.jpg

A couple of weeks ago we had a snowstorm that dropped 45cm of snow, it had already started melting before the following picture lol.

35iq8np.jpg

[/hide]

The license plate could of been covered better, as I now know you live one province away from me, although anyone who wasn't familiar with the plate would still be lost. Besides that, you must be very satisfied with that car considering the mileage that it has and the amount of repairs you don't do on it. Just remember though, that car is actually making you money because you have to put gas in any car, so as long as repairs stay below 300-400 dollars a month then you're ahead because that 300-400 dollars is a payment on a new car :thumbsup: . Anyway, I'm still to young for a car myself, but looking at this thread is interesting.

Actually it's not making me any money, but saving me money, and a lot of it. Even the economy of gas this car gives me saves me money, I spent around $60 on gas in feb, which I found pretty impressive, but then again I didn't use the car a lot in feb. There's a difference. Still, such low amounts in repairs might go up in the near future, seeing as the clutch is starting to slip (has been for a good while, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse), the current set of brakes were already on the car when I bought it, probably going to need replacement soon seeing as I've done around 70 000 Km on them, I just have to see if they pass the inspection in august, and I'm starting to hear a leak somewhere on the exhaust pipe, which has already been patched multiple times, as well as loose pieces in the muffler. Even with that, this car was an extremely good buy. Getting a new car will be my priority though when I get out of college and find another job.

It's an ouch moment there, but if the exhaust is already patched a few times you're probably better off dropping a new exhaust in and being done with it if you're going to have the car for another 2 years or so and can spare the cash. But still, that car must of been a really good deal for you.

Thinking about getting a set of stock alloys from the GT version of my car to put my summer tires on. Which looks better- the ones I have now or the alloys?

Old:

Car3.jpg

New:

XQ_640.jpg

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009