13-May-2010 Fairy Tale Part 3 & DirectX Support and Graphics Options

Toad

I think I have to say this:

What the hell happened? How did we go from a takeover of Zanaris to... teeth? A whole quest about teeth. Did some member of the content team have to get a root canal, and then under the influence of laughing gas thought that a quest about teeth would be good? What the hell? This little quest arc started out fine, but the storyline devolved into one of the stupidest quests ever, and yes, I'm including the quest for us searching for frozen Yeti turds. It's like somone had a novel idea for having the Tooth Fairy be apart of the quest for a nice little pun/joke and then went compltely overboard.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell happened? How did we go from a takeover of Zanaris to... teeth? A whole quest about teeth. Did some member of the content team have to get a root canal, and then under the influence of laughing gas thought that a quest about teeth would be good? What the hell? This little quest arc started out fine, but the storyline devolved into one of the stupidest quests ever, and yes, I'm including the quest for us searching for frozen Yeti turds. It's like someone had a novel idea for having the Tooth Fairy be apart of the quest for a nice little pun/joke and then went completely overboard.

It was "cute" with the Tooth Fairy, but yea, I agree... I find it kind of hard to imagine a Tooth Fairy being a general that's supposed to defeat the Orcs and the Fairy Godfather. I mean okay, we already saw the stereotypical-mafia speeches from the Fairy Godfather and I had hoped that'd be the end of that and puns, but I guess not. Again, cute, but not feels out of place with the overall storyline, even if the Tooth Fairy is a fairy. I mean I guess I can see where Tooth can be seen as something tough and all but the first thing that comes to mind for me when someone mentions "Tooth Fairy" is a cute little fairy that goes to the pillows of children who placed a tooth under their pillow, not a "OMG YOU NEED TO SHAPE UP AND FIGHT THIS DUDE" sort of Tooth Fairy. And no, Dwayne Johnson (the Rock) in "Tooth Fairy" movie doesn't count. >.>

What the hell happened? How did we go from a takeover of Zanaris to... teeth? A whole quest about teeth. Did some member of the content team have to get a root canal, and then under the influence of laughing gas thought that a quest about teeth would be good? What the hell? This little quest arc started out fine, but the storyline devolved into one of the stupidest quests ever, and yes, I'm including the quest for us searching for frozen Yeti turds. It's like someone had a novel idea for having the Tooth Fairy be apart of the quest for a nice little pun/joke and then went completely overboard.

It was "cute" with the Tooth Fairy, but yea, I agree... I find it kind of hard to imagine a Tooth Fairy being a general that's supposed to defeat the Orcs and the Fairy Godfather. I mean okay, we already saw the stereotypical-mafia speeches from the Fairy Godfather and I had hoped that'd be the end of that and puns, but I guess not. Again, cute, but not feels out of place with the overall storyline, even if the Tooth Fairy is a fairy. I mean I guess I can see where Tooth can be seen as something tough and all but the first thing that comes to mind for me when someone mentions "Tooth Fairy" is a cute little fairy that goes to the pillows of children who placed a tooth under their pillow, not a "OMG YOU NEED TO SHAPE UP AND FIGHT THIS DUDE" sort of Tooth Fairy. And no, Dwayne Johnson (the Rock) in "Tooth Fairy" movie doesn't count. >.>

Tooth Fairy should've been there to give us the Fairy Tooth so we can travel by the Fairy Rings and also give us the little pet. Not having us grow Tooth Orcs. Why not grow Orcs from something else? I think Wooden orcs would've been fine and fit into the Farming process.

Tooth Fairy should've been there to give us the Fairy Tooth so we can travel by the Fairy Rings and also give us the little pet. Not having us grow Tooth Orcs. Why not grow Orcs from something else? I think Wooden orcs would've been fine and fit into the Farming process.

I thought the point behind growing the Orcs from their teeth was because it was a part of the Orcs, like it contained some of there DNA and hence a copy of the Orcs can be created. As far as I know none of them Orcs had any wood on/in them to make a copy of them. Since the Godfather took the Orcs souls to use as a shield (or something from them Orcs. I wasn't really paying attention to what he took from them).

howlin1eeveesig.png

Okay, fine, we got teeth. We could've still grown different version other than tooth based lifeforms. That was just dumb.

Okay, fine, we got teeth. We could've still grown different version other than tooth based lifeforms. That was just dumb.

I think you've failed to accept that Jagex has abandoned any sort of intellectual, mature storyline in Runescape. They have made every quest in this game with some sort of stupid joke, pun, or kiddie style to it. Didn't you know Jagex hires their development team from local Kids R' Us?

Stellactic.gif

I think you've failed to accept that Jagex has abandoned any sort of intellectual, mature storyline in Runescape. They have made every quest in this game with some sort of stupid joke, pun, or kiddie style to it. Didn't you know Jagex hires their development team from local Kids R' Us?

Someone needs a nap.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Yeah the whole tooth thing was a little odd, but I can accept it given the whole fairy context. What I couldn't stand was all the secret agent crap with all of the "briefings" and pointless acronyms. Seriously, stop making factions in RuneScape like some hollywood, "Spy Kids" super secret government agency. It's really annoying.

Actually have to agree with MHL on this one. I was never very excited for FTP3, and the end result only confirmed that I shouldn't be. Bloom lighting didn't come either, so I wasnt very impressed with the outcome of this update. Bring on the Mahjarrat plox? :)

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

I think you've failed to accept that Jagex has abandoned any sort of intellectual, mature storyline in Runescape.

Next week in Runescape: A quest on world economics for our more mature players.

Childish or boring, you decide. ;)

I think you've failed to accept that Jagex has abandoned any sort of intellectual, mature storyline in Runescape.

Next week in Runescape: A sequel to Perils of Ice Mountain so we can once again bludgeon you over the head with our liberal politics. :thumbup:

Next week in Runescape: A sequel to Perils of Ice Mountain so we can once again bludgeon you over the head with our liberal politics. :thumbup:

I wasn't aware that air pollution had political leanings.

"This just in: Methane gas (R-CA) to run for governor!"

:rolleyes:

dgs5.jpg

It doesn't, but if you did POIM, you'd see that the content was clearly left leaning.

It doesn't, but if you did POIM, you'd see that the content was clearly left leaning.

I have a quest cape. Once again, how is a "be green" message in anyway politically affiliated?

dgs5.jpg

I have a quest cape. Once again, how is a "be green" message in anyway politically affiliated?

Because it's not just a "be green" message. It's more than that and it leaned to the left.

Because it's not just a "be green" message. It's more than that and it leaned to the left.

It would help your case to elaborate rather than just proclaim that "R00NSCAPE QUESTS R LIBERAL." You're incredibly paranoid if you think that Jagex is trying to brainwash you into siding with a political party. The quest's plot involved air pollution and global warming caused by players burning millions of logs every day. CLEARLY A LIBERAL PLOT TO CONVERT YOU AMIRITE.

dgs5.jpg

It would help your case to elaborate rather than just proclaim that "R00NSCAPE QUESTS R LIBERAL." You're incredibly paranoid if you think that Jagex is trying to brainwash you into siding with a political party. The quest's plot involved air pollution and global warming caused by players burning millions of logs every day. CLEARLY A LIBERAL PLOT TO CONVERT YOU AMIRITE.

In and of itself it wouldn't be a big thing, but it's just the largest bit of the grouping that shows that Jagex is a left leaning company, which is not surprising at England as a whole leans mostly to the left.

And I believe the point of the quest was about the draogns causing air pollution, not us burning logs.

In and of itself it wouldn't be a big thing, but it's just the largest bit of the grouping that shows that Jagex is a left leaning company, which is not surprising at England as a whole leans mostly to the left.

And I believe the point of the quest was about the draogns causing air pollution, not us burning logs.

Ah, I understand. That's kind of like how Runescape has maps, pirates have maps, pirates use maps to sail boats, boats belong in water, Runescape has water, SAILING@@@@@@@@@@@@. :rolleyes:

dgs5.jpg

Well, in the quest, it is the case, the pollution caused by the dragons in the factory starts to let the ice melt on the mountain. It is said that way by numerous persons in the quest. Also, go read the KB article on GWD, thanks to burning logs and a bit of magmatic works, the area was uncovered.

I see Perils of the Ice Mountain just as a message to work on a green environment, which is a good thing, not just because of the warnings about that we are the cause of global warming, but just because it is better for ourselves and our environment. The plastic continent in the Pacific Ocean, heavy pollution of the Amazone, acid rain etc all have an impact on our planet. Animals and plants die to it, because of stuff we (well, mostly the industry) cause. It would be great to stop this kind of things and respect nature, just as Jagex does by being a CO2-neutral company and by making this quest: to make people aware of human intervenience and all the effects it causes.

I know that in Great Brittain a lot of stuff is political influenced and some messages get some bad connotations just because they are used by a political party, but is the message "save our nature (and ourselves)" that bad thanks to that?

I don't see what the problem is. Jagex have stated they want to help the environment.

t Jagex, we are dedicated to doing our very best to have as small an impact on the environment as possible. Jagex aims to be a 100% carbon neutral company, by taking all measures possible to reduce our emissions overall and to offset all remaining emissions.

(Found here on there corporate site)

howlin1eeveesig.png

Well, in the quest, it is the case, the pollution caused by the dragons in the factory starts to let the ice melt on the mountain. It is said that way by numerous persons in the quest. Also, go read the KB article on GWD, thanks to burning logs and a bit of magmatic works, the area was uncovered.

I see Perils of the Ice Mountain just as a message to work on a green environment, which is a good thing, not just because of the warnings about that we are the cause of global warming, but just because it is better for ourselves and our environment. The plastic continent in the Pacific Ocean, heavy pollution of the Amazone, acid rain etc all have an impact on our planet. Animals and plants die to it, because of stuff we (well, mostly the industry) cause. It would be great to stop this kind of things and respect nature, just as Jagex does by being a CO2-neutral company and by making this quest: to make people aware of human intervenience and all the effects it causes.

I know that in Great Brittain a lot of stuff is political influenced and some messages get some bad connotations just because they are used by a political party, but is the message "save our nature (and ourselves)" that bad thanks to that?

No, but the point is what does green and green thinking and all that crap have anything to do with a computer game supposedly met in Medieval times? Or are we talking about the Medieval global warming trend that most climate change people love to ignore? Especially considering that at the time the quest was produced the game was clearly intended for younger audiences. I'm saying in a game like this, they should keep that crap out of it.

Another example, coal. "Hmm, a nonrenewable energy source." Yeah, that makes sense, except that in Runescape it actually definitivelyu renewable by the fact that it respawns every 30 seconds to a minute, so how dumb is that? Once again, them trying to put their agenda across in a place where it doesn't belong.

No, but the point is what does green and green thinking and all that crap have anything to do with a computer game supposedly met in Medieval times? Or are we talking about the Medieval global warming trend that most climate change people love to ignore? Especially considering that at the time the quest was produced the game was clearly intended for younger audiences. I'm saying in a game like this, they should keep that crap out of it.

Another example, coal. "Hmm, a nonrenewable energy source." Yeah, that makes sense, except that in Runescape it actually definitivelyu renewable by the fact that it respawns every 30 seconds to a minute, so how dumb is that? Once again, them trying to put their agenda across in a place where it doesn't belong.

Um, the fact that it is a very present problem in current society, and that it is something that the people who create Runescape care about, is what it has to do with Runescape. Runescape is set in a pseudo medieval setting anyway; it's not going to win any awards for historical accuracy, and it isn't trying to. And, a game like this? Really? I'm calling shenanigans. Programming and games targeted towards kids generally have much less ambiguous and much more heavy handed moral messages embedded in them; by the time they're old enough to use a computer without parental oversight, they've probably heard about the environment and the adverse effect human intervention has had on it more than once. Captain Planet may not be on the air anymore, but just about every kids show there is has an episode (or several) dedicated to the importance recycling and not impacting the environment adversely (or, at very least, being as low impact as you possibly can).

Also, just about anything with some kind of narrative created by humans has a bias because our biases create the lens through which we view the world, our perspective. Expecting narrative to be free of bias is pretty much expecting the impossible. No one is entirely neutral. Better to teach kids to think critically than attempt to strip anything they come in contact with of said biases and perspectives; because one is an exercise in futility, and the other is a vital skill in life.

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

Yes, neutrality is a difficult thing to attain. Not like they devoted an entire God to it or anything in their game. :rolleyes:

But more to the point, if they can't have neutrality it would be nice to have a little from both sides than all of tilting a little to the left... everytime.

Yes, neutrality is a difficult thing to attain. Not like they devoted an entire God to it or anything in their game. :rolleyes:

But more to the point, if they can't have neutrality it would be nice to have a little from both sides than all of tilting a little to the left... everytime.

Every time? Care to name other instances of liberal politics in Runescape quests? And FOR CHRIST'S SAKE can you please explain how PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT has anything to do with liberal politics? You keep saying the same thing over and over again without explaining WHY.

dgs5.jpg

I didn't say it was all in quests. It is pretty spread out amongst the game in small ways.

And because after the fall of Soviet Russia the Communists didn't just disppear or give up, they hijaked the existing envriomental movement anmd have been using it as a guise to achieve their own intentions. Typically when you hear people talking about the environment, it comes from the left. I mean, very, very often from the left.

If someone starts talking about saving the environment what invariably comes next is them talking about equalized distribution of wealth and those "evil corporations." <_<

By tghe by, I'm not claiming that Jagex is run by Communists. I'm simply saying they are a company with a liberal slant in a liberal slant country. I'd just wish they'd keep it out of the game.