I Don't Like Jagex

Danqazmlp

Respect is much harder to earn than losing. The rock boots update basically removed the majority of the respect they have managed to build up(from me at least). The people who are selfish or have absolutely no idea about long term advantages are the ones who post every knee reaction they can have.

I mean I don't know what more can be said here, yes Jagex has made tons of mistakes, but they have corrected much more. I guess it is simply easier to point out everything that is wrong than everything that is right.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide]

For me, I respect and like the company that Jagex was, but do not respect or like the company it is/has become. Just a few points I disagree with in the article

Fact: Jagex is a company which has grown from a nothing into a company which makes millions of pounds sterling per year and brings entertainment to a record breaking number of people around the world.

Fact: Jagex is a completely different company now compared to when it was a nothing. Daily activities are no longer overseen by Andrew Gower himself, but Mod MMG and his staff. The company has changed, and so have many peoples view of the company. Just because a company was great doesnt mean you have to respect was it has become.

As they are human, they can make mistakes. The best of us do it, the worst of us do it a lot. For the amount of updates Jagex have made over the 9 years of Runescape running, the number in which mistakes have been made is a very small minority.

The problem isnt that the make mistakes, its the fact that they dont admit their mistakes. Instead they defend them regardless of if they are right or wrong. Furthermore, although they have made a small number of mistakes in 9 years, the frequency of the mistakes is increasing. This is very frightening to players because it hints that the game/Jagex staff is going downhill.

Jagex don't only make Runescape. If you have a problem with a Runescape update, you will usually blame Jagex, but it is not the whole of Jagex which deal with Runescape. Jagex have built various games which many people enjoy.

All though Jagex does deal with games other than Runescape, Runescape is dealt with only by Jagex. Therefore if I have a problem with a Runescape update, the only company to blame is Jagex. What you said is like saying, The government isnt only in control of our national defense. So when a Russian nuke lands in my backyard I shouldnt blame the entire government. After all they have still done other things like deal with taxes, domestic affairs, foreign affairs, etc. But in fact it was the governments fault, and no one elses, that a nuke destroyed my backyard.

I urge you to stop and think next time you feel like an update has been wrong or something has annoyed you in-game and think more than 'omg i hate this'. Think about who something will benefit, who will use it, who will it disadvantage, what advantages will it give me, who will enjoy it?

Three words: Rock Climbing Boots

[/hide]

Nuclear bombs are not related to jagex in any way. And it isn't the whole government, and stop assuming that russia drops nukes on people all the time, they never have. Jagex has different teams. And after I thought about who something will benefit, who will use it, who will it disadvantage, what advantages will it give me, who will enjoy it? I came to the conclusion that it was to prevent people from being overpowered in pvp. AND IT IS FREE MONEY!

You're already digressing when you're actually trying to counterargue his analogy on Russain nukes. Point still stays; if something goes wrong (horribly for the rock boots issue if you consider the alternative solutions), Jagex should and would be held responsible. Oh, they have different departments? We'll direct it to the Content Team then. Oh, they have many people on the crew? Get them to name the names of the developers in charge then.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I wrote out a much longer response to this, point by point, but it was eaten by a back-click. So I'll keep it brief.

If you're upset with the way RuneScape is run, stop paying to run it. Simple as that. No one's forcing you to pay Jagex any money at all if you disagree with their practices, so stop forcing yourself.

Bugs per line of code in RS is actually a feat to behold - something over a million lines of code versus maybe 20,000 bugs means that there's an incredibly low bugs/lines ratio. Keeping a million lines of code that clean is actually pretty damn hard.

I agree with your sentiments Dan, and it normally goes without saying that Jagex has earned my respect. All of the work they've put into the game, as well as listening to feedback and applying it where appropriate is actually an amazing feat, and while yes, some people may disagree with how they've done it, even so - what they've accomplished is something to respect.

I also haven't been here much (fifteen-ish posts in the last six months) because the complaints have been coming on non-stop. Instead of thinking about the ramifications of an update, we've got people who think that they're hot-stuff economists, and want to fix the update...when the real problem wasn't the economy to begin with.

I have a question: Why are you all so pissy about the rock climbing boots update? I still don't see what was so terrible about it.

It's the latest update. Next week we'll hear complaining about whatever update Jagex puts in, so this'll be over soon.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I have a question: Why are you all so pissy about the rock climbing boots update? I still don't see what was so terrible about it.

1. A slightly different solution could have achieved the same effect.

2. Jagex refuses to admit to the above, and attempts to cover up their blunder.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

It was illogical, unfair to those without boots piled up, brought a lot of money in the game which due to other peoples panic buying will cause inflation.

Yet, all of this could have easily been avoided simply by removing the price cap on Boots in the ge, yet the developers behind this update fail to understand the sheer stupidity of this update, and despite MANY people giving just reasoning and present valid points, they still hold their ground with statistics that seem highly unlikely and haven't been able to yet provide anything even close to a logical reason to raising the alch value and price of these boots to the amount they did.

They feel this update was good and logical, when it wasn't even close to either.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

It was illogical, unfair to those without boots piled up, brought a lot of money in the game which due to other peoples panic buying will cause inflation.

Yet, all of this could have easily been avoided simply by removing the price cap on Boots in the ge, yet the developers behind this update fail to understand the sheer stupidity of this update, and despite MANY people giving just reasoning and present valid points, they still hold their ground with statistics that seem highly unlikely and haven't been able to yet provide anything even close to a logical reason to raising the alch value and price of these boots to the amount they did.

They feel this update was good and logical, when it wasn't even close to either.

Do you honestly believe that Jagex doesn't put any consideration into updates like this? Yes, they knew how many players would make instant cash from the boots. Yes, they knew that it could unbalance the game. Know what? They made the change anyway. They did this after considering all aspects of it.

I can understand/respect that you disagree with the rationale. Ah well, that's bound to happen. After all, we've all got our own opinions.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I don't like JaGeX and I don't respect them. They've earned the hatred - havn't earned the respect.

Only reason I play is because I've been playing the game since I was 13 and I'm going to be 20 soon so I'm not starting a new game from scratch again, no time for it. Maybe I'll make my own game and wtfp0wn JaGeX down the sewer where their company belongs. :rolleyes: If only I actually knew how to make a video game...

I can name 0 good things JaGeX has ever done, and over 9000 things they've done stupidly and crappily.

"But Lep, what about Barrows armor?!" Thinking of the present, not the future. :rolleyes: Level 70 armor with the best stats in the game, wow, amazing. Been 10 years and still no armor at level 80. :rolleyes: Other games have equipment and have to increase limits and make new high level armor. :thumbup:

That is the exact problem. You are thinking of nobody but yourself and if that is how you think, you are no better than how you perceive them. You not having the willpower and strength to change game and quit is your problem and not theirs, if anything, it shows that they have made a game which has enough lasting appeal to do that.

You say they have earned no respect, but I have shown example reasons in which they do, and you have the tenacity to outright ignore them and do exactly what I would hope somebody of your age would be able to do, and that is to think.

And at least one thing they have done for you is create this game, and I can say without a doubt, at one time or another you enjoyed the game.

You assume their earning your respect is tantamount to their earning the respect of everybody. Logical fallacy. You also attack Lep instead of his argument, another fallacy. Right now, I COULD say you are a [bleep]ing idiot, and just end it there, but that lowers me to your level.

They created the game to make money, just as Subway, where I will take my lunch later doesn't create my Black Forest ham sub for my enjoyment, but rather to make money. It needs to taste good or I won't come back. If Jagex doesn't have a fun game, then people won't stay as often.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Do you honestly believe that Jagex doesn't put any consideration into updates like this? Yes, they knew how many players would make instant cash from the boots. Yes, they knew that it could unbalance the game. Know what? They made the change anyway. They did this after considering all aspects of it.

I can understand/respect that you disagree with the rationale. Ah well, that's bound to happen. After all, we've all got our own opinions.

Shouldn't they at least provide a good, solid reason as to why the rock climbing boots change is a 'better' solution compared to removing price cap on the old boots? It's this kind of explanation "We knew how many players would make instant cash from the boots. Yes, We knew that it could unbalance the game. We did this after considering all aspects of it." that I detest the most, because it barely clears the doubt of any player.

No one is asking for an account of every content developers' train of thought for every single update, and I'd have thought that answering to this controversial update was the minimal they could do. Either show us the light on that 'all aspects' you talk about, or just apologise for the overlook. <_<

Zepheras.png

-F1775

I don't like JaGeX and I don't respect them. They've earned the hatred - havn't earned the respect.

Only reason I play is because I've been playing the game since I was 13 and I'm going to be 20 soon so I'm not starting a new game from scratch again, no time for it. Maybe I'll make my own game and wtfp0wn JaGeX down the sewer where their company belongs. :rolleyes: If only I actually knew how to make a video game...

I can name 0 good things JaGeX has ever done, and over 9000 things they've done stupidly and crappily.

"But Lep, what about Barrows armor?!" Thinking of the present, not the future. :rolleyes: Level 70 armor with the best stats in the game, wow, amazing. Been 10 years and still no armor at level 80. :rolleyes: Other games have equipment and have to increase limits and make new high level armor. :thumbup:

That is the exact problem. You are thinking of nobody but yourself and if that is how you think, you are no better than how you perceive them. You not having the willpower and strength to change game and quit is your problem and not theirs, if anything, it shows that they have made a game which has enough lasting appeal to do that.

You say they have earned no respect, but I have shown example reasons in which they do, and you have the tenacity to outright ignore them and do exactly what I would hope somebody of your age would be able to do, and that is to think.

And at least one thing they have done for you is create this game, and I can say without a doubt, at one time or another you enjoyed the game.

You assume their earning your respect is tantamount to their earning the respect of everybody. Logical fallacy. You also attack Lep instead of his argument, another fallacy. Right now, I COULD say you are a [bleep]ing idiot, and just end it there, but that lowers me to your level.

They created the game to make money, just as Subway, where I will take my lunch later doesn't create my Black Forest ham sub for my enjoyment, but rather to make money. It needs to taste good or I won't come back. If Jagex doesn't have a fun game, then people won't stay as often.

I'm unsure as to what you read, but his argument was that Jagex have made no updates which in his opinion are positive, that is what I attacked, which was the argument.

Concerning your last statement, the problem is people don't leave if they are upset, they rant and rave but continue to play. Using your subway analogy, it would be like protesting outside the store that a new filling tastes terrible and that subway are evil, then going inside and having your fill of sandwiches.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Maybe the reason isn't clear yet, because of future updates, or if it was to prevent something happening, but they always know what they're doing.

If that's true, why don't they say the reason from the start? So far, I haven't seen a good reason, to be honest.

I can only hope they did it because of a future awesome update which will blow us all away. Or perhaps a lesser update which would atleast make sense.

I know Jagex is very cautious about revealing future information: It's a large gaming company and there are an incredible amount of projects being worked on at the same time. I'm sure it's hard for some to get a deadline or make the deadline, a lot can go wrong. But if this was indeed part of a larger update, why didn't they wait a while? It's not like it was an urgent update.

To say Jagex fails a lot, that isn't really true, they've had many great updates: Barrows (no matter how outdated, it's still a nice update), Thzaar, Skill Capes, some awesome quests (even though some are outdated, like Legend's Quest, still, it's awesome), Construction (other skills are good aswell, but Construction brought a lot of extras in the game which were very useful for the average scaping imo), Living Caverns, ...

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

I'm unsure as to what you read, but his argument was that Jagex have made no updates which in his opinion are positive, that is what I attacked, which was the argument.

Concerning your last statement, the problem is people don't leave if they are upset, they rant and rave but continue to play. Using your subway analogy, it would be like protesting outside the store that a new filling tastes terrible and that subway are evil, then going inside and having your fill of sandwiches.

Although I would agree with your 2nd part, there is one main difference I should have mentioned: If there was only 1 restaurant in town, where the food was previously excellent, and then all of a sudden the quality of the food goes down down down, for no reason, those people would have a reason to protest.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Although I would agree with your 2nd part, there is one main difference I should have mentioned: If there was only 1 restaurant in town, where the food was previously excellent, and then all of a sudden the quality of the food goes down down down, for no reason, those people would have a reason to protest.

But if the food was so bad would the people go eating there every day, probably not. Same goes for this game, if you hate it so much you can just stop playing it.

Also there's many other MMORPG's around.

Preau.png

Shouldn't they at least provide a good, solid reason as to why the rock climbing boots change is a 'better' solution compared to removing price cap on the old boots? It's this kind of explanation "We knew how many players would make instant cash from the boots. Yes, We knew that it could unbalance the game. We did this after considering all aspects of it." that I detest the most, because it barely clears the doubt of any player.

No one is asking for an account of every content developers' train of thought for every single update, and I'd have thought that answering to this controversial update was the minimal they could do. Either show us the light on that 'all aspects' you talk about, or just apologise for the overlook. <_<

You honestly need a reason why removing the price cap is a stupid idea? Well ok. Hmm, let's see, could it possibly be because you could buy them from the sherpa and then turn around and sell them on the G.E. for way more if the price were allowed to rise above the cap allowing for a brand new level of convenience in RWT? No that couldn't possibly be it right, because I mean no one would ever think of that. Look at that, more proof Jagex is smarter than the average player.

Danq, your post is exactly how I feel about things. Jagex has made a game that offers more that ANY other game out there. There are hours upon hours of playable content with new content being added every couple weeks. While I think some of Jagex's decisions have been questionable the fact remains that despite complaints they have one of the largest player and fanbases ever. They built a great game, and though every single update may not be great, they continue releasing enjoyable content.

The problem to me lies in the immaturity of the players in honestly believing that they know better. Players don't seem to realize that they have no idea what future releases might have impacted upon their decisions in the way they do things, or of the possible ramifications of doing them differently. It's just proved by people suggesting removing the price cap on an item you can buy for 12 gp from an NPC. You want to talk about arrogance and idiocy, well there it is.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

You honestly need a reason why removing the price cap is a stupid idea? Well ok. Hmm, let's see, could it possibly be because you could buy them from the sherpa and then turn around and sell them on the G.E. for way more if the price were allowed to rise above the cap allowing for a brand new level of convenience in RWT? No that couldn't possibly be it right, because I mean no one would ever think of that. Look at that, more proof Jagex is smarter than the average player.

Danq, your post is exactly how I feel about things. Jagex has made a game that offers more that ANY other game out there. There are hours upon hours of playable content with new content being added every couple weeks. While I think some of Jagex's decisions have been questionable the fact remains that despite complaints they have one of the largest player and fanbases ever. They built a great game, and though every single update may not be great, they continue releasing enjoyable content.

The problem to me lies in the immaturity of the players in honestly believing that they know better. Players don't seem to realize that they have no idea what future releases might have impacted upon their decisions in the way they do things, or of the possible ramifications of doing them differently. It's just proved by people suggesting removing the price cap on an item you can buy for 12 gp from an NPC. You want to talk about arrogance and idiocy, well there it is.

You, unlike Danz, ARE an idiot. If climbing boots got above a certain point in GE price, people would start running climbers, just as they do B staffs and other items buyable from shops. Go take a class in economics, and learn about supply and demand before you come in here trying to be a smart ass.

RWT changed forms, its no longer so much trading gold from account to account, but selling rares for market price for cash IRl, buying junk, etc.

Stonewall337.png

So why is it so hard for them to give us a valid reason for it?

Please keep in mind, this is basically the first time I'm 100% against the RS department at Jagex. I don't whine every update, but this one makes NO SENSE at all. And they fail to give anywhere near a good reason as to why they did it.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Hmm, while I know the recent Rock Climbing Boots create a huge controversy within the RS community, and it does seem like a mistake on Jagex part. I would still respect them for making this game. I remember people used to refer to the good old days many times, and how people reminisce community were closer compare to before. But if Andrew and Paul keep it the way it was before, how many people would be interested to stay in the long run before their "interest" runs out. All those new graphical updates and game patches and many more things come from many talented people in the expanded company, that it's really hard to please all the players when its released. Not to say that many people would make the decision in the game and not just Andrew and Paul.

That being said, I think most of us would benefit from what the author of this post mentioned, cool down and look at it from more calming point of view. Still, I don't want to force my believe and perspective on others because people are free to choose whatever they wish to express. I do admit that some of those response are quiet legitimate and Jagex should take example from that.

I have always been F2P, that's one way I like it because I like the simplicity of it. Sure, there are other updates that I don't like as well, but majority of them have been pretty good. I know we can get into a whole new topic for how the company should have run, how the RS update should have been, but that would been a bit pointless because it would be endless debate.

This is just my personal response base on this topic, of course does not represent what everyone thinks.

a happy Runescaper

It was completely unnecessary of how they handled it. unlike the wilderness removal, there could have been better solutions to change the rock climbing boots

and the fact that players have benefited from this update is no different than players exploiting the update to gain unfair money. So in theory, they were being

very hypocritical.

As somebody else stated, its too easy to lose respect compared to gaining it and I feel like they haven't earn my respect rather they lost it instead because

of how they handle updates. I played since 2004 and I got to admit that Jagex have done significantly better than now. Forgive me for totally contradicting this

topic but I think Jagex would have been better off if Andrew had kept his position as CEO rather than MMG.

Bugs per line of code in RS is actually a feat to behold - something over a million lines of code versus maybe 20,000 bugs means that there's an incredibly low bugs/lines ratio. Keeping a million lines of code that clean is actually pretty damn hard.

That would be 1 bug per every 50 lines of code....

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

I would agree ring, but I think comparing the customer services and the forums of WoW and RS is not viable. The main reason for this is the forum itself imo. The forum is based off such an old system and is so inefficient. For example, reporting posts is not possible. This leads to a vast amount of incredibly immature people using the forums as nothing more than a spam tool. This in turn cannot be moderated efficiently which in turn invites more people etc etc. This has been the process going on for years, which makes the forums a totally unreasonable place for Jagex to talk to their customers. There are areas where Jagex do talk to customers but these areas are few in number. A total overhaul of the RSOF would be needed before Jagex could use it properly. You also have to think of the money used, Blizzard has over 10 times the money at disposal to fund their customer service, but they don't have 10 times the user base to fill it.

I do have to ask, when have Jagex sued somebody for criticising them?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Well there is a major difference between suing on basis of libel and suing (as you said) because of criticism. You were talking about that one blogger right?

Stonewall337.png

The article in question no longer exists. Is it SOP to take down old Times, or did this happen due to wanting better standing?

"JaGaX has said it would give the chance for people to advertise their websites(since I first logged in 3 years ago) but like houses little has been done about this, despite them openly accepting that Tip It is a fan site by requesting It not to release its Mornings end 2 guide."

That is from 4 years ago. Jagex has been pushing around fan sites since (at least) then.

Stonewall337.png

I still don't like them. The climbing boots update was just... a shamble. Making a select group (mainly, but not necessarily, pkers) extremely rich and annoying everyone else in doing so. Even I could tell them it was a stupid idea from the start, and I'm no economist. There were other ways of resolving the problem e.g. making them untradable etc. Also after teleporting to W66 and immediately being muted - whether a p mod was on a mute frenzy or legitimately reported the wrong person I shall never know, but it makes me lose faith in the player mod system as well, or atleast the ones that go crazy in riot worlds, throwing around threats and unfair mutes, but anyways that's another story...

I think if they had ONE really really really good update a month, I'd be extremely happy with that. Look at some of the best updates so far. Extreme potions... Ice strykewyrms... Ancient Effigies... those are the updates I think we'd all be happy with.

2vuhgcn.png

That would be 1 bug per every 50 lines of code....

I think he means 20 000 bugs ever... And a LOT of those were not very bug bigs. How many game-changing bugs have there been? Bugs like the Falador Massacre, high-alching bugs, etc? Less than 100 I'm sure. Also if you sat down and wrote 50 lines of code, and didn't create one bug? You no longer classify as human.

Blakdragon39.png

I would agree ring, but I think comparing the customer services and the forums of WoW and RS is not viable. The main reason for this is the forum itself imo. The forum is based off such an old system and is so inefficient. For example, reporting posts is not possible. This leads to a vast amount of incredibly immature people using the forums as nothing more than a spam tool. This in turn cannot be moderated efficiently which in turn invites more people etc etc. This has been the process going on for years, which makes the forums a totally unreasonable place for Jagex to talk to their customers. There are areas where Jagex do talk to customers but these areas are few in number. A total overhaul of the RSOF would be needed before Jagex could use it properly. You also have to think of the money used, Blizzard has over 10 times the money at disposal to fund their customer service, but they don't have 10 times the user base to fill it.

I do have to ask, when have Jagex sued somebody for criticising them?

Well Jagex should remodel their forums, and thats not the only part that blizzard beats jagex in customer service, you can call them by phone too. You can call a GM in game who isnt like a pmod their actually employees and their job is to help you with ingame issues. For me im permanently banned from their forums anyways (for what? i dont even know) and it doesnt show up on offense history, how do i appeal this? and more importantly how do i contact them if i have an issue, such as a few times Runescape would mess up because im on a Mac. Blizzard has many options while Jagex has none.

Now Blizzard may have 10x the income but they have 10x more players to deal with. Besides Jagex already has a huge profit ratio, them not putting more money into customer service is pure greed and an insult to their customers who have been used and abused for years now.

...good news from publisher Activision Blizzard who announced their latest financial results. For their last quarter that ended on March 31, the company had $1.3 billion in revenues...

Blizzard also announced hitting 10 million members in 2008, meaning about $130 per user.

Using the Runescape member numbers from the other year, Jagex announced they hit 1 Million members. Going by that, using $5 as a general membership fee as some people pay more than that, but some pay less, Jagex would get a revenue of somewhere around $60 million a year. They haven't announced the amount of F2P players actively play, but i don't think it would rock the boat too much to expect around another million F2P players. This is about $30 per player.

These numbers are not solid, but they are a rough estimate which are probably fairly close.

The money the two companies have available to create customer services for each member are massively different. Blizzard can afford call-centres whereas Jagex definitely cannot. They have to use e-mail and on-line methods. They cannot realistically afford to compare to the customer services of blizzard.

Edit: On the whole suing discussion, unless you have read said article, I do not think anybody can comment on it. Looking at Andrews reply to it: http://forum.tip.it/topic/34480-tipit-times-presents-biased-banning-raises-brows/page__st__160__p__592624entry592624 It does not sound like it was mere criticism.

zqXeV.jpg