Runescape withdrawl symptoms?

Greencheeese

Hey guys. I quit runescape and got permanently banned. My life is so much better now. After 4/5 years playing I didn't realise how much time that game takes up, and how much extra time to work towards my IRL goals I now have.

Anyway there is one problem: withdrawl symptoms. I get these where i end up feeling bad etc, wanting to play etc etc. I don't want to start again as i'l waste more time, but how do i cope with these?

This thread should help other people with this also.

Oh by the way, people should quit runescape, your life will probably improve. The only thing it gives is a fake sense of achievement. Real achievement from in real life means is far more satisfying and worthwhile. I know people who have got Repetetive strain injuries from playing and this is extremely bad.

I realised I was playing to fulfill the social interaction and need for "success" i lacked in real life, and this kept me addicted. We all need to look at why we are playing, and change this..

Thanks in advance.

Greencheeese.png

greencheeese.png

Greencheeese.png

200m.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I quit runescape and got permanently banned. My life is so much better now. After 4/5 years playing I didn't realise how much time that game takes up, and how much extra time to work towards my IRL goals I now have.

Anyway there is one problem: withdrawl symptoms. I get these where i end up feeling bad etc, wanting to play etc etc. I don't want to start again as i'l waste more time, but how do i cope with these?

This thread should help other people with this also.

Oh by the way, people should quit runescape, your life will probably improve. The only thing it gives is a fake sense of achievement. Real achievement from in real life means is far more satisfying and worthwhile. I know people who have got Repetetive strain injuries from playing and this is extremely bad.

I realised I was playing to fulfill the social interaction and need for "success" i lacked in real life, and this kept me addicted. We all need to look at why we are playing, and change this..

Thanks in advance.

It's kind of like smoking in a way, you get into a routine of doing it. When you usually play, find something else to fill this time slot and make sure it's enjoyable! :) That way It will take your mind off the habit and put it onto funner things.

dzuz3d.jpg

Oh by the way, people should quit runescape, your life will probably improve. The only thing it gives is a fake sense of achievement. Real achievement from in real life means is far more satisfying and worthwhile.

You're assuming we don't have a life outside of RS :shame:

No matter how you try to sugar-coat it, Runescape really DOES have more negative effects on your life than positive ones. I'm not saying that it affects every aspect of your life (infact I proved it doesn't affect school grades when I made good grades even while addicted to the game), but as the OP said it only provides a false sense of accomplishment. I think there was an article in the Tip.it times about all the positive things Runescape provided, but to be honest I thought it was a load of bull. :P

I only play Runescape during the summer because I have a ridiculous amount of free time. I used to play just because I was in the mindset of "if I don't play at least 5 hours a day, my friends will get ahead of me on the highscores," but now I play because there's nothing to do. I do pixel signatures on the side and am writing my own game, but even then it gets boring when you can't get the damn arm on the demon looking right or you just get plain bored writing a quest script. If I ever get on Runescape nowadays I usually just do Dungeoneering, because there's no grinding involved.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Since when does Runescape = heroin? It's called self-control. Guess what I do when I don't have time for Runescape? I play less Runescape. JESUS CHRIST WHAT A CONCEPT AMIRITE.

Withdrawal symptoms over Runescape? I'd hate to see what you're like after smoking a cigarette or having a girl break up with you.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

No matter how you try to sugar-coat it, Runescape really DOES have more negative effects on your life than positive ones. I'm not saying that it affects every aspect of your life (infact I proved it doesn't affect school grades when I made good grades even while addicted to the game), but as the OP said it only provides a false sense of accomplishment. I think there was an article in the Tip.it times about all the positive things Runescape provided, but to be honest I thought it was a load of bull. :P

I only play Runescape during the summer because I have a ridiculous amount of free time. I used to play just because I was in the mindset of "if I don't play at least 5 hours a day, my friends will get ahead of me on the highscores," but now I play because there's nothing to do. I do pixel signatures on the side and am writing my own game, but even then it gets boring when you can't get the damn arm on the demon looking right or you just get plain bored writing a quest script. If I ever get on Runescape nowadays I usually just do Dungeoneering, because there's no grinding involved.

I think often articles about the positive things are just ways of justifying the excessive play time spent. For example often reasons are things like "ohh it's helped me understand economics, for example supply and demand" But if you think about this that person could learn this in 1/1000th+ of the time they're played the game.

Greencheeese.png

greencheeese.png

Greencheeese.png

200m.png

It's just a game. We get these threads almost monthly and the only difference is that we get advice from someone who got permanently banned... I just hope you don't get perm ban IRL.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Its true. If I quit I would have so much more time. I could play so much more of other games instead in my free time. :sad:

Damn you runescape! If it wasnt for my lack of self control and being addictive to pushing a button for a reward I could be playing so much more advance button pushing games!

..Thats his point right? We all need to step back and download whatever we first see on steam.

Its true. If I quit I would have so much more time. I could be playing so much more of other games instead in my free time. :sad:

Damn you runescape! I could be playing so much better games with better graphics! I hate your addictive ways! Its not fair I dont have any self control!

If you completly quit runescape why are you here then. yes i know you could same community but this after all a site DEDICATED TO RUNESCAPE so if you were to full quit i would reccomend not coming here either as it would remind you of the game

OTMSigXD.png

Its true. If I quit I would have so much more time. I could be playing so much more of other games instead in my free time. :sad:

Damn you runescape! I could be playing so much better games with better graphics! I hate your addictive ways! Its not fair I dont have any self control!

If you completly quit runescape why are you here then. yes i know you could same community but this after all a site DEDICATED TO RUNESCAPE so if you were to full quit i would reccomend not coming here either as it would remind you of the game

Bazz said "If I quit". ;)

Withdrawal symptom: Coming back to fansites for the game you "quit" and acting self-righteous, patronising, and overall being an asshat. :?:

Maybe people will see the light and realise the error of their ways like I did? Hopefully at an earlier stage? If just one person does then this has been well worth posting.

Greencheeese.png

greencheeese.png

Greencheeese.png

200m.png

Withdrawal symptom: Coming back to fansites for the game you "quit" and acting self-righteous, patronising, and overall being an asshat. :?:

Maybe people will see the light and realise the error of their ways like I did? Hopefully at an earlier stage? If just one person does then this has been well worth posting.

Yeah, woe is he who has plays a videogame for fun. :rolleyes:

dgs5.jpg

but people enjoy playing

if they stop enjoying, they will stop playing

like you did

nothing you say can have any real impact, get off your soapbox and quit your drivel

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

But are you actually playing them for fun? Or due to addiction which tricks you thinking it's fun? Like you play to start to have fun etc and feel good as you play but continue to play to relieve negative emotions for not playing.

Greencheeese.png

greencheeese.png

Greencheeese.png

200m.png

Eventually I just got bored and realized how lame of a game it was. Just do other stuff to get your mind off of it, or just play a different online game.

This.

Get XBL/PSN/Steam/whatever, go outside, get a job, girlfriend, go out with friends. JUST STOP PLAYING. Coming back on once in a while is ok, but once you stop playing, you realize just how boring the game is. The game is stupid, and a time waster.

When I quit RS back in December, I got XBL (finally), and started playing with some other guys at school. Eventually we all became friends and played all of the time. Around February, I got a girlfriend. Best time of my life. Prom, kissing, having fun, dates. All of that. While I was playing RS, I was ~220 lbs. After quitting, I started losing weight and working out. I am now at a comfortable 182 and am relatively strong. I have a job (something I probably wouldn't have if I still played), and am saving for a Jeep. When I played RS, I never went outside, never talked to friends, anything. As soon as I got home, I sat down, turned on the laptop, and wouldn't leave the chair until I went to bed. Eventually, the game just turns into a giant grind, you don't feel the fun you used to Granted, I did come back and play for a bit when D'eering came out, but even that lost it's fun. This is the point you need to tell yourself to stop. Getting on once in a while to see how friends are doing, talking, maybe do a few things, but otherwise just do something else.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Eventually I just got bored and realized how lame of a game it was. Just do other stuff to get your mind off of it, or just play a different online game.

This.

Get XBL/PSN/Steam/whatever, go outside, get a job, girlfriend, go out with friends. JUST STOP PLAYING. Coming back on once in a while is ok, but once you stop playing, you realize just how boring the game is. The game is stupid, and a time waster.

When I quit RS back in December, I got XBL (finally), and started playing with some other guys at school. Eventually we all became friends and played all of the time. Around February, I got a girlfriend. Best time of my life. Prom, kissing, having fun, dates. All of that. While I was playing RS, I was ~220 lbs. After quitting, I started losing weight and working out. I am now at a comfortable 182 and am relatively strong. I have a job (something I probably wouldn't have if I still played), and am saving for a Jeep. When I played RS, I never went outside, never talked to friends, anything. As soon as I got home, I sat down, turned on the laptop, and wouldn't leave the chair until I went to bed. Eventually, the game just turns into a giant grind, you don't feel the fun you used to Granted, I did come back and play for a bit when D'eering came out, but even that lost it's fun. This is the point you need to tell yourself to stop. Getting on once in a while to see how friends are doing, talking, maybe do a few things, but otherwise just do something else.

May I ask why do you still stay here if as your profile says "runescape is stupid"?

Greencheeese.png

greencheeese.png

Greencheeese.png

200m.png

May I ask why do you still stay here if as your profile says "runescape is stupid"?

Off Topic. The real-life section. I check out General Discussions once in a while, just to look at the pictures, since there doesn't ever seem to be anything else to look at here really.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

MMO's are designed to be addicting, and people CAN get addicted. Not everyone's strong enough to have the self control when they really don't have anything else to do anyways.

Though usually as people grow up they find other things to do so it really isn't a very permanent addiction, so it's not too fair to compare it to smoking or coffee. But the addiction is real and it's rather rude to dismiss it so easily.

wl7w9j.png

But are you actually playing them for fun? Or due to addiction which tricks you thinking it's fun? Like you play to start to have fun etc and feel good as you play but continue to play to relieve negative emotions for not playing.

dont project your own issues onto others, you're seeing ghosts

i work all day; leave the house at 8 am and get back in my home town around 930 pm - i either go stay at my gf's, or i go home - where il make my tea, make my sandwiches for tomorrow, call my gf, then either play rs for an hour to unwind or read a book in bed or watch a show on tv, or if its my day off the following day il get slaughtered with my mates round the corner...

live a normal life; rs is just a game - relaxation, a bit of fun.

no need to make it into a massive deal or quitting into a huge issue - cause it really doesnt matter. its just a game... like forza or halo or Wii bowling. treat it as such and you're doing great...

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

Your withdrawl from playing Runescape has probably been replaced with some good things, but your time doing "useless" things like watching TV or browsing Facebook have probably increased. No matter what, youll always be doing something in your life thats a waste of time. As for your withdrawl symptoms, they would have been avoided had you not nolifed and played this game on a recreational basis like others.

43fdsfsig.png

Warlord of Lethality, Member of Silent Ember

You're right. It's like that time I got into drinking fish tank water as a hobby. I became so addicted that I thought I enjoyed it, but deep down I really didn't. :(

No you [bleep]ing moron, I play Runescape because it's fun and I like it. Why would I play if I didn't enjoy it? When it starts to get boring or dull, I take a break! It's called moderation - try it sometime.

dgs5.jpg