99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread needs a bump, my mind is feeling horny.

What is happiness, and how does one acquire it?

Happiness and suffering are just a certain release of chemicals in your brain (your hypothalmus i specifically). Everything is just preception. Happiness could be aquired by anything that releases dopamine (like drugs).

On the meaning of life: There is none. Happiness and suffering are all just perceptions in your brain. You are just a mixture of carbon and water. Your life is just rearranging matter.

Happiness could be aquired by anything that releases dopamine (like drugs).

Then what releases dopamine?

Weed. And a lot of different things that vary for different people.

Weed. And a lot of different things that vary for different people.

Yea, well I think we are trying to discuss what the actual thing released by dopamine is. I mean you did say happiness is acquired that way, but what exactly is the happiness itself. And then what's the difference between just short-term pleasure from a drug and actual happiness? Or are they the same thing?

Can a blind man see in his dreams? Can a deaf man hear in his dreams? (Assuming blind/deaf from birth)

What happens when we find the meaning of life? What happens if you travel faster than light? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

Hmm

No to your first two questions. How can someone see or hear something if they have never seen or heard before?

What happens when we find the meaning of life?

A lot of people have found the meaning of life, it allows you to understand yourself and what you want to do with your life better. But the meaning can always be evolving and sometimes is misleading.

What happens if you travel faster than light?

Well that is impossible with the current laws of physics. But I'm guessing if you did, you would beat out time itself.

Any evidence for your claims? You seem to be speaking from experience, which is obviously not the case.

Evidence for what?

but thoughts have some sort of voice to it, so...

Well then, give me proof of that. If you want to play the "proof" game we're not going to get anywhere.

Not the best of sources, but here's what I'm referring to; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subvocalization

Ok, that makes sense with people who have heard before. But again, logically, how can you imagine a sound if you've never heard a sound?

Ok, that makes sense with people who have heard before. But again, logically, how can you imagine a sound if you've never heard a sound?

Since you can't know what you don't know, it's safe to say that we agree to disagree. Care to prove that deaf people can't sub-vocalize?

Since you can't know what you don't know, it's safe to say that we agree to disagree. Care to prove that deaf people can't sub-vocalize?

I don't think there is proof either way. It just logically makes sense for them to not be able to.

I agree, how could a deaf person hear any language in his head if he had never heard a voice before? Language is taught, not innate. Perhaps the deaf man could hear sounds in his head, but wouldn't recognize them as sounds.

The thing is, a person who has never heard cannot imagine the concept of hearing. When you "hear" in your head, it is actually you repeating sounds you have heard before in your imagination. It's like asking you to use a sixth sense - you wouldn't even understand what that sense is unless you had experienced it before.

What if there was a saturday-morning-esque cartoon show based on enlightenment thinkers? Good idea? y/y

Eh?

What if there were no more hypothetical situations?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

You just created a Paradox. Thank you, 1/3 of the universe will be destroyed.

To contribute to this topic: Are we human, or are we dancers?

EDIT - Weird theory I had a while ago. Could the universe in reality be shrinking? Perhaps the laws of physics goes backwards, with time going backwards too. Hmmm

And what's outside the universe?

What if there was a saturday-morning-esque cartoon show based on enlightenment thinkers? Good idea? y/y

Been there, done that.

Phineas_and_ferb.png

A better question: what if you had enlightened thinkers draw a saturday morning esque show?

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

This.

Actually no, because there would be no hypothetical situations for them to break out of. So what would happen is the opposite of that.

Hypothetically, of course.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Helping society or other people is in a sense, selfish. People help others because it makes them feel good. If you felt bad when helping people, you wouldn't help people. Which brings me to my point, almost everything anyone does is selfish. So one's selfishness is what strives us to interact and ultimately form civilizations.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not getting what we want that makes us happy, but it's not wanting that makes us happy.

Helping society or other people is in a sense, selfish. People help others because it makes them feel good. If you felt bad when helping people, you wouldn't help people. Which brings me to my point, almost everything anyone does is selfish. So one's selfishness is what strives us to interact and ultimately form civilizations.

Unless you define selflessness as wanting to make someone feel good, then yes, that's true.

It's not getting what we want that makes us happy, but it's not wanting that makes us happy.

This. Is. The. Quintessential. Post. On. This. Thread.

All this thread is awkwardly worded phrases.

I believe it is getting what we want does not make us happy, but not having the need for a want of want, is what makes us happy.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge