Philosophy, Riddles and complete mind[bleep]s

Sam

No. but in the past I'd get really involved with this forum, not sure why. I've been meaning to change my name to bonkers for a while, but never got around to it. It's my favorite word <3 that and hubba boo.

Trying to emotionally disconnect from a forum never works - I know from experience :(

I still have no clue what that even means.

But failing insinuates that you did not reach your goal, so failing is highly subjective. If I want to succeed at failing a math test, can I ever fail? If I get a 99, is that failing in my eyes? Or even if I get a perfect score, I succeeded by the worldly standards, but failed in my own thus succeeding at the same time. You can't both succeed and fail, I believe you can have one event cause another, but not both fail and succeed.

You're bringing subjectivity up here by saying his/her failing does not constitute as a failing. (Which, you are right that it doesn't in one sense, but it still does in the other which I'll explain in the next paragraph.)

If you need to fail to succeed, and you do succeed, you still failed. Obviously not in the sense that you failed at succeeding at whatever your goal was, but the sense that you succeeded at failing (conquered the goal of not conquering some other goal). It still includes both concepts - it has to because it's obligatory in this situation: You cannot succeed without failing.

Well yes, the main point I was making on my side is while they all happened, they did not all happen at once. And since the idea/feeling of succeeding happened last, that is the sole outcome of it.

But the question was not specific enough to ask for the "sole outcome" or what happened last - it simply asks what you have done. Have you succeeded? Yes. Have you failed? Yes.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O. i just had an internal AH HAH moment, I think. I understand and agree with what you are saying, but for some reason I still slightly disagree.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Mindf*ck time!

1. Pick the number of days you [bleep] each week.

2. Multiply it by two.

3. Add 5

4. Multiply it by 50.

5. If you already had your birthday this year, add 1760. If you didn't add 1759

6. Subtract the year you were born (in four digits).

7. You now have a three digit number.

8. The last two numbers are your age.

Post outcomes after step 6 here.

Worked. I've seen these before, you just reverse all of the irrelevant calculations so it becomes 2010- (YOB)

There is a physics experiment called the "double slit" experiment

pic-v3-st21-1.jpg

Basically, you shine light on these two tiny slits, and you get an interference pattern on the screen. This pattern is in accordance with wave mechanics. By this, I mean that if you do the same thing with a wave of water, you get the same interference pattern.

But...now suppose that instead of shining a whole ton of light onto the two slits, you shoot one photon at the slits at a time.

The interference pattern remains

Intuitively, this doesn't make sense. We thought we got the pattern because waves of light were "hitting against" eachother.

But shooting one photon at a time produces the same results? Why? Because photons dont actually travel in a physical wave, the "wave" that describes them is actually a wave of "probability". The photon isn't actually anywhere until you observe it.

Welcome to your universe. It is a quantum mechanical universe

http://grad.physics.sunysb.edu/~amarch/

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

There is a physics experiment called the "double slit" experiment

pic-v3-st21-1.jpg

Basically, you shine light on these two tiny slits, and you get an interference pattern on the screen. This pattern is in accordance with wave mechanics. By this, I mean that if you do the same thing with a wave of water, you get the same interference pattern.

But...now suppose that instead of shining a whole ton of light onto the two slits, you shoot one photon at the slits at a time.

The interference pattern remains

Intuitively, this doesn't make sense. We thought we got the pattern because waves of light were "hitting against" eachother.

But shooting one photon at a time produces the same results? Why? Because photons dont actually travel in a physical wave, the "wave" that describes them is actually a wave of "probability". The photon isn't actually anywhere until you observe it.

Welcome to your universe. It is a quantum mechanical universe

http://grad.physics....sb.edu/~amarch/

Why look for philosophical problems and paradoxes to mess with your mind when the universe produces things like this?

I like to think of it like this: Photons, or bigger things like electrons or protons, are weird blurry things that don't appreciate it when you ask the wrong questions.

So basically we're living in a mind[bleep].

I think I read about that experiment in a book called Timeline, and that part of it was that quantum physics allowed for a particle to be in two places at once.

Quantum Physics allows any particle to explore the state of being anywhere, or anywhen, in the universe! icon_ohnoes.gif

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Why look for philosophical problems and paradoxes to mess with your mind when the universe produces things like this?

Why not?

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

@ Half empty Vs. Half full,

To become full, you need to start out as empty.

If you take away from, it's half empty.

If you add to, it's half full.

There ya' go.

1. "My ear's in a cup, I guess that doesn't count..."

2. "So heyyy, that's a pretty reasonable reaction huh?"

3. "So you up for NAFTA?"

4. "That went exactly how I wanted it to."

Why not?

It doesn't make any sense to limit ourselves to just scientific mind[bleep]s when there are so many others.

And science and philosophy can combine together...

Why not?

It doesn't make any sense to limit ourselves to just scientific mind[bleep]s when there are so many others.

I majored in physics for my undergraduate studies and a few of my classmates were philosophy+physics double majors.

In all seriousness, the two fields combine extremely well.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Well I just never came across a problem where science and philosophy seem to disagree, mostly because there are many philosophical views. So the ones that I perceive to be the most correct make sense with science.

What exactly does being successful mean? The dictionary definition says "Accomplishing an aim or purpose". But many people that are said to be successful don't feel like they actually are.

I think success is accomplishing something that is not only your goal, but something you actually want to succeed in. Something were you really feel good after achieving it and it makes you happy, not just because society thinks it is good, but because you think it is good. I find it sad that there are many people who make a lot of money in their lives and think they are successful, but they never actually are. They never actually enjoy making all the money, it doesn't mean a lot to them, it just looks good to society.

Why not?

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM CAPTAIN PLANET

Captain Planet, he's our hero.

Gonna take pollution down to zero.

Captain Planet, he's a zero.

He ain't no better than the other heroes.

I gotta say, I'm really disappointed mods don't ban people for [cabbage] like this. Countless content-less posts riddle the off topic forums nowadays and I don't see anything happening to stop it. I haven't noticed any progress to wring out the morons and it's making the quality of the whole forum deteriorate.

Philosophical question: Let the idiots keep posting their mind garbage to make the forum look very active or let the people that actually have something to say share their ideas with others.

WHy U sO mad, br0?

The fun of tip.it is that it can be silly and serious at the same time. If you don't like the posts, they're pretty easy to look over, and it's not like they're hijacking the discussion on the thread.

I gotta say, I'm really disappointed mods don't ban people for [cabbage] like this. Countless content-less posts riddle the off topic forums nowadays and I don't see anything happening to stop it. I haven't noticed any progress to wring out the morons and it's making the quality of the whole forum deteriorate.

Philosophical question: Let the idiots keep posting their mind garbage to make the forum look very active or let the people that actually have something to say share their ideas with others.

People can share their ideas with others, there are just points where no one is actually discussing anything on this this thread, so a bit of fun doesn't hurt.

But I see what you mean, sometimes I wish that a person would respond to a statement in a non-joking matter so that more actual discussion could be done.

WHy U sO mad, br0?

The fun of tip.it is that it can be silly and serious at the same time. If you don't like the posts, they're pretty easy to look over, and it's not like they're hijacking the discussion on the thread.

Most of us are either teenagers or young adults, I'd be more worried if there wasn't that kind of post. As much as I love these threads, it's a bit odd to see ridiculously serious 16 year old males discussing quantum physics or the science behind origin of the universe when most people that age are too busy playing Halo and figuring out what their penis is for.

WHy U sO mad, br0?

Most of us are either teenagers or young adults, I'd be more worried if there wasn't that kind of post. As much as I love these threads, it's a bit odd to see ridiculously serious 16 year old males discussing quantum physics or the science behind origin of the universe when most people that age are too busy playing Halo and figuring out what their penis is for.

By odd, you mean it is different from the norm right? And do you see that as a good thing or a bad thing?

By odd, you mean it is different from the norm right? And do you see that as a good thing or a bad thing?

Yes and it's a good thing. There's a time and a place for seriousness and one for silliness. The internet is the perfect place to have both in the same comment.

That would be one of those silliness ones, and it came out of the seriousness perfectly. You have to admit, Roccodog had good timing with that one. That's a perfect example of the right way to use memes.

Yes and it's a good thing. There's a time and a place for seriousness and one for silliness. The internet is the perfect place to have both in the same comment.

That would be one of those silliness ones, and it came out of the seriousness perfectly. You have to admit, Roccodog had good timing with that one. That's a perfect example of the right way to use memes.

I agree. I seem to look at people who can crack and take a joke as overall smarter people ( not "book smarts") than the ones who are always serious. I think that a lot of people take life too seriously.

As long as they don't think about it constantly, then it's all good. For the most part, the only time I can really use my knowledge, strong opinions, and life experiences is on TIF; because there's a time and place for everything, and TIF is that for some people's certain thoughts.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've always wondered how time travel could actually work.

Let's say you're about to have a math test you do not feel too good about. You "time travel" into the future and find out that you get an F-, so you write down the answers as the test is being reviewed in class. Then you go "back in time," memorize the answers, and get an A+ on the math test.

Oh wait.

How did you get an A+ on the test when you were SUPPOSED to get an F-? After all, you looked ahead into the future and you saw that you got an F-. You can't have TWO futures! That's cheating.

I suppose that means time travel will never be possible, even if it was just a theory in the first place? I think this is somewhat similar to the Grandfather Paradox.

Thoughts?

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I've always wondered how time travel could actually work.

Let's say you're about to have a math test you do not feel too good about. You "time travel" into the future and find out that you get an F-, so you write down the answers as the test is being reviewed in class. Then you go "back in time," memorize the answers, and get an A+ on the math test.

Oh wait.

How did you get an A+ on the test when you were SUPPOSED to get an F-? After all, you just looked ahead into the future...

Therefore I can never see time travel happening, even if it were just a theory in the first place.

Thoughts?

You don't get an F- on the test in the future then. Basically you would of went to the future seen an A+ and then gotten that.