How far is too far?

The Observer

In the clan world (even in regular non-clan RS), many things are happening that never happened before. Examples: ddosing, finding out people's rl details and causing problems for them, etc. One huge example also would be last year when DF had their forums hacked and database deleted. As you can see, it's starting to get exponentially worse. Speculations on what could happen next could take us anywhere.... anywhere from harm being done to actual people in real life to finding that someone's bank account has been seized by someone... Sadly these are real possibilities. It just shows how far people go over a game.

Now there's a question. How do you stop this? I know His Lordship made an effort with his post, but it's more of the threat of individuals themselves over clans doing it. I personally think the only way things can be stopped is from real life consequences such as criminal prosecution to show that they're accountable for their actions in real life to show that they're not safe doing all this behind a computer screen. But, as I said countless times months ago, it's something that won't be done.

So yes, I leave you with many questions. How far is too far? What can be done? Have you ever experienced this personally? Do you really think it can get worse? Just some baseline questions, so feel free to expand with more.

j0xPu5R.png

How far is too far?

Anything outside of RS is to far, DDoSing is to far already lol.

What can be done?

There's nothing you can do about it, its internet. It's not like you can just hit someone on the face / call the police whatever.

Have you ever experienced this personally?

Yes, VR hacked my email adress which had my Xbox account linked to it and only wanted to give it back if we payed $500 to them. Had to call Microsoft and the MSN support and everything to get it back. Oh and from my email adress the recovered my admin account on forum & deleted our whole forums. That's why we've got new boards from November 09. Though we did learn from all of this.

DF's Most Valued Official || Summer Awards 2010

jfaudg.jpg

Proud Divine Forces Leader

Once it went beyond crashing fights and bickering on fan sites (not that I approve of either :P) that was when it went too far. The only thing that can be done is to unite as a whole against the people who do this, it's not a clan it's individuals. If nobody thinks they're cool or wants to be friends with them or even likes them then they'll stop especially if they're handled quietly and otherwise ignored. The only other thing is prosecution but that's often extremely difficult and in most cases more cost than it's really worth. It could get worse but I doubt it will as most people are beginning to realize it's no fun, what's the fun in taking down someone's TS when you can crash/hit them and get their pixels? That's the reason a lot of people like PKing is the chance to fight, compete, and get pixels. Not go ha ha I DDOSed your TS.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

How far is too far?

Taking the game so far that it affects your real life.

What can be done?

Nothing right now, like you said criminal prosecution would help.

No.

crsigl.png

§ Crimson Raiders Veteran | skull_crossbones.gif Ex Downfall Warlord | bcouncil.gif Ex Team Vendetta Council

Leaders control their members/kick them. Most clan leaders turn a blind eye to stuff like this especially those up at the top. Its honestly better to be a mid sized clan right now than to be in the top. Who would want to be up there when you have to deal with all the bs that goes on.

flamesig.jpg

How far is too far?

Ddos is already too far imo. It's just a game, it's not like win or lose a pkri is gonna matter for the rest of someone's life.

What can be done?

It's really human nature, there has to be a "bad" to make something "good". I don't see how anything can prevent it.

Ugh ..... >.<

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~Proud Ex-Council of Tempted Killers, There Since Day One~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~No Regrets, Only Memories ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How far is too far?

When it gets to the point that it isn't considered a game anymore. People tends to let their emotions control them when they don't really realize how much of a stupid they are looking and how they are affecting someone's life all because of a game.

What can be done?

I really doubt we can do much because its pretty much a lets say... Normal? withing the clan world but i will like some actions to be taken against this kinda of actions such as ddosing.

Have you ever experienced this personally? Do you really think it can get worse?

I personally haven't experienced it YET but i got no doubts that it will definitely get worst over time

cafq0zh5.gifElite Member of Ascension | hrkot2.gifSenior Member of Silent Ember | 3145bsw.jpgOld School of TPR

unled2hm.png

How far is too far?

I think we already know how far is too far yet it happens anyways.

What can be done?

Don't encourage it and take the appropriate measures against people that do it.

Not as bad as others.

6590ew.jpg

How far is too far? Once real life is affected, as mentioned above. This is a game, and it should stay that way.

What can be done?

You can't let things slip by that your friends/clan-mates do; the bystanders do a ton of harm.

Nope, I'm part of a smaller clan w/o the drama :)

Do you really think it can get worse?

Yep, like you said it can go up to someone seizing someone's bank account. That anecdote from above about someone holding someone's e-mail acc ransom almost wants to make me stop being in clans so that my family isn't affected by idiots over the internet.

oversized.jpg

How far is too far?

Well, quite a few people are saying "once real life is affected". But then again, WG is one of the forerunning clans working to bridge the gap between the game and real life, so it would be rather hypocritical of me to say that. I'd say when things start dealing damage - physical or mental - it's too far.

What can be done?

Following His Lordship's suggestion is my plan for now. I have no better ideas.

Thankfully no.

We're humans. Of course it can get worse.

What is too far?

Messing with sites and audios just show that your clan can't perform, and putting your real life in it.

What can be done?

Don't leak or else your an idiot.

Have you ever experienced this?

Yes, not irl because they know i'll hunt them down.

Do you think it can get worse?

It will get worse.

--> Another possible solution is Romdath ending up having to Romdath someone. rip.

sebesttank.jpg

Solace Member

Silent Ember Warlord

Tko Blitz Trial Member

Condemned Army Member

The main problem is that these actions aren't discouraged at the leadership level. The only consequence for these people would be being kicked from their clans, and most leaders out there don't have the balls to do it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

It's down to hate, how far someone goes depends on how strong their hate is. And sadly, alot of people just love to hate - it could be due to various reasons like having a neglective real life, bad influences or w/e, but hate knows no bounds and given the opportunity, alot of these people would go as far as you can imagine, even further.

Most people in the clan world are about that teen age, young adults. Some just don't know any better or aren't really brought up with a moral conscious, otherwise they honestly wouldn't spend 8-9 hours a day in front of a PC. Sometimes I can't blame them, they have no better satisfaction or anything.

Blasphemy

We choose to go...not because [it is] easy, but because [it is] hard, because that goal will serve to measure and organize the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win. ~ Blasphemien Way

29ehbtt.png

"Rest In Peace, Muelmar - A True Modern Day Hero"

How far is too far?

I believe the majority of people who are involved in clanning knows when it gets taken too far.

What can be done?

Leaders need to have some balls and take action against those who commit these crimes.

Yes, but nowhere near as bad as it has been for others.

Yep, because Leaders of Top Clans will use ANY tactics to get their clans to #1. This is why I doubt I'll ever join a Top-10 Clan.

Genesis Leader

Ending Templar & Trial Caller of The Rising

Ex-Leader of Silent Ember - Ex-Leader of True Ownage - Ex-Leader of Legendz

Former Tip.It Clan Community Leader

I'm not trying to be biased or anything. But, I think only a few clans like Solace and TRWF(could be more, can't think off the top of my head) are the ones that still have standards regarding the people they allow into their clan and so problems like Ddosing and Hacking is not a problem.

How far is too far?

I think it's already gone to far.

What can be done?

The clan world should kick all the idiots in the Clan World and not let idiot clans recruit them.

Yes, I've been ddosed.

Yes.

#Solace | Solace Senior Member |

Solace Forums | Solace Memberlist

ankitm.jpg

I'm making a killing here, I think I should be on top of the world just chilling here.

How far is too far? Till some kid like dies or something.

What can be done? Nothing ATM. No one died yet I dont think.

Have you ever experienced this personally? nop, I love all.

Do you really think it can get worse? Ofcourse ! Wasn't there like a RSD vs ROT irl thing that was suoopse to go down lol. Could be trolling but it's possible.

Sigma NU

MOST Anticipated but still underrated

Silent Ember

it's a game known for clan fights and that start's beef , so if you play this game i dont know why you wouldnt expect it.

|PRIDE|DEDICATION|HONOR|

|PRIDE|PASSION|BELIEF|

:::Violent Resolution:::

If you dont like my posts , Deal with it

Lol Eos , Keep begging :D http://imgur.com/gsvgD.png

100712171821.png

How far is too far? Till some kid like dies or something.

What can be done? Nothing ATM. No one died yet I dont think.

Have you ever experienced this personally? nop, I love all.

Do you really think it can get worse? Ofcourse ! Wasn't there like a RSD vs ROT irl thing that was suoopse to go down lol. Could be trolling but it's possible.

Unfortunately, I believe someone from Corr has died. RIP.

#Solace | Solace Senior Member |

Solace Forums | Solace Memberlist

ankitm.jpg

I'm making a killing here, I think I should be on top of the world just chilling here.

How far is too far?

Anything with an intend to troll is too far. Games are for fun. For everyone :thumbup:

What can be done?

There's nothing you can do about it' date=' its internet. It's not like you can just hit someone on the face / call the police whatever.[/quote']

Got threatened to DDoS and people in Cod4 threatened to hack my key code.

Ex Retaliation High Council | Ex Legendz High Council

lgzfriendly.png

#Legendz on IRC

Proud to have been a Power Ranger

• 2 weeks later...