Vegetarianism

Assume Nothing

We're screwed no matter what we do. Though there are some methods that result in us being slightly less screwed. When we move away from coal (Which we apparently use here in the States because we have so much of it, countries use fuels that they have) and on to renewable or replenishable fuels, it will be better than burning oil.

If it isn't friendly now, it probably will be in the future.

Another good point: building the infrastructure for petroleum is stupid: at this point, all we can look forward to is running out of it. Electricity, however, is just a medium. Is it perfect? Absolutely not.

Thing is we're going to have to use it until something better comes up anyway. The best thing would be to wean ourselves off it. Having a very fast shift is probably going to lead to at least a few problems...

A fast shift, will, at some point, become necessary. Unless we start soon. Automotive and industry can shift to electricity provided by renewable (including nuclear) fairly easily. We have the technology, we just aren't will to actually make the effort.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A gradual shift is happening to a degree though. Hybrid cars are starting to become popular with automakers, as is fuel efficiency. Ads for cars love stressing these points.

Baby steps and all that. A phrase I use all too often.

Projected to be 3.5% of total vehicle sales in 2015: as I far as most people are concerned, it's still a gimmick.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

All this discussion about Electric cars and not enough discussion about Vegetarianism, =/

I don't think there is a very strong argument for meat eating, but there is plenty of counterarguments against vegetarianism. Hmmm

Can someone list me a few good reasons for eating meat?

Too much information to list: the current dietary establishment has had it's stances on nutrition disproved, but it can't actually admit that:

http://www.paleonu.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Gary-Taubes/dp/1400040787

Can someone list me a few good reasons for eating meat?

You don't have to check your food.

Not eating in a food social event is just embarassing; and if I invite you and don't eat ill kick your ass.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Why would you find it embarrassing?

I don't drink pop, and I've never found that to be embarrassing. Occasionally, yes, people are confused about it, but other than that...

I don't drink pop, and I've never found that to be embarrassing. Occasionally, yes, people are confused about it, but other than that...

Pop, water, wine, juice, there's other options. In a resturant where there is no vegan menu, it would feel awkard for me not to eat anything; I would be embaraased of myself for listening to my pity whiney rebellious ideals.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Pop, water, wine, juice, there's other options. In a resturant where there is no vegan menu, it would feel awkard for me not to eat anything; I would be embaraased of myself for listening to my pity whiney rebellious ideals.

You're so tolerant it's unbelievable.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

A gradual shift is happening to a degree though. Hybrid cars are starting to become popular with automakers, as is fuel efficiency. Ads for cars love stressing these points.

Baby steps and all that. A phrase I use all too often.

Projected to be 3.5% of total vehicle sales in 2015: as I far as most people are concerned, it's still a gimmick.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/15/study-men-cant-help-but-enjoy-fast-cars-its-that-testostero/

Apparently your testosterone level goes down if you drive a hybrid.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

I believe that most restaurants now produce a vegan/vegetarian dish as a matter of principle.

I believe that most restaurants now produce a vegan/vegetarian dish as a matter of principle.

Not all, though.

Would you sacrifice your "vegetarianism" for one meal at, say, your best friend's wedding where somehow everything came from an animal?

siggy3s.jpg

Not all, though.

Would you sacrifice your "vegetarianism" for one meal at, say, your best friend's wedding where somehow everything came from an animal?

That's funny, I remember asking my parents if they would become vegetarian. They simply responded "Well, we had so little rations of meat that we almost were".

Which leads to this question; If everyone ate half as much meat, and everyone stops wasting food (Average American throws away 1/2 of their food), would it solve the Environmental problem of meat consumption?

No.

America is such a small country when compared to the entire world.

And say such things in Argentina, where most farmers sell beef as the majority of their profits.

Stop worrying about the envioment when people need to eat and make money to live.

siggy3s.jpg

I would hardly call 300,000,000 small, even on a planet of almost 7 billion.

And Americans have a (mostly undeserved) influence on the rest of the world, at least in terms of economics, politics and culture.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a look at my personal diet, and from that alone, I think personally, I should cut down on meat consumption.

Could someone tell me about the benefits of vegetarianism? Or even just cutting down red meats, and eating fish/chicken more.

I would hardly call 300,000,000 small, even on a planet of almost 7 billion.

And Americans have a (mostly undeserved) influence on the rest of the world, at least in terms of economics, politics and culture.

Mostly undeserved? When would it BE deserved? You act like there is a line to be drawn, so tell us, where do you draw that line?

I just had a look at my personal diet, and from that alone, I think personally, I should cut down on meat consumption.

Could someone tell me about the benefits of vegetarianism? Or even just cutting down red meats, and eating fish/chicken more.

White meat is easier to process by the body, not as fatty. Fish is not as fatty either, and depending on the type: epic delicious.

I totally cooked up like 16 salmon fillets last night I kid you not. And I pretty much almost burnt all of them. Oh well, ima still eat them.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

A disproportional influence on the rest of the world would be earned if said country displayed a respect for human rights, peace, culture, and sustainability.

So far, the US (and Canada) are 0 for 4.

A disproportional influence on the rest of the world would be earned if said country displayed a respect for human rights, peace, culture, and sustainability.

No, the amount of population is going to be (should/would/could doesn't apply) the main underlying factor. Which is why China would have the biggest impact, but they keep to themselves.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Yes, Canada and the states are 0/4. For sure.

What's Russia?

What's China?

What's Iran?

What's Saudi Arabia?

Whats are the several hundred other countries where people live in constant fear and poverty every day?

No country is perfect. It would be nice if people could be at least somewhat appreciative of what is done, rather than constantly critical of what isn't.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Yes, Canada and the states are 0/4. For sure.

What's Russia?

What's China?

What's Iran?

What's Saudi Arabia?

Whats are the several hundred other countries where people live in constant fear and poverty every day?

No country is perfect. It would be nice if people could be at least somewhat appreciative of what is done, rather than constantly critical of what isn't.

But the impact that the United States has on the rest of the world is greater than all of those countries combined. Yes, the Saudis have oil: but the US can (and would) take it from them if they didn't want to sell it. China and Russia both have nukes, but would never use them: the US would wipe them, and the rest of the world off the map.

But the impact that the United States has on the rest of the world is greater than all of those countries combined. Yes, the Saudis have oil: but the US can (and would) take it from them if they didn't want to sell it. China and Russia both have nukes, but would never use them: the US would wipe them, and the rest of the world off the map.

That's not completely true. Even just looking at the contingency plan for the invasion of Iran it would basically be impossible for the states to come up with a military victory short of deploying nuclear weapons. And in fact, I'd say the states is the least likely country possessing nuclear weapons to actually use them.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I don't see how an influence can be "undeserved". If a country influences the world, it influences the world. It obviously did something to "earn" that influence, or else there would be none.

I don't see how an influence can be "undeserved". If a country influences the world, it influences the world. It obviously did something to "earn" that influence, or else there would be none.

Pillaging and killing!

You are a pirate!

siggy3s.jpg