Vegetarianism

Assume Nothing

The industrial food machine commits horrors on such a scale as to not just frighten, but to rend one's mind with the sheer scale of pain and moral obliviousness.

Ahh, so you don't eat, right?

Being vegetarian is not unhealthy in the slightest - like with meat-eating it has its advantages and disadvantages.

I would almost agree with you, until you said this; "Being vegetarian is not unhealthy in the slightest".

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20030618/vegetarian-diet-b12-deficiency

All food groups consumed on their own are unbalanced.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's impossible to be deficient in nutrients if you eat meat?

Let's be reasonable here.

Meat eaters don't exclude themselves from any foods. Therefore, one can assume that you can't be deficient of other nutrients if you eat a balanced variety of everything.

Meat eaters don't exclude themselves from any foods. Therefore, one can assume that you can't be deficient of other nutrients if you eat a balanced variety of everything.

Do vitamin supplements, beans, tofu, etc not exist where you live that vegitarians in your area are woefully malnourished?

hzvjpwS.gif

Do vitamin supplements, beans, tofu, etc not exist where you live that vegitarians in your area are woefully malnourished?

"Spirulina, an algae available as a dietary supplement in tablet form, and nori, a seaweed, have both appeared to contain significant amounts of B12 after analysis. However, it is thought that this is due to the presence of compounds structurally similar to B12, known as B12 analogues. These cannot be utilised to satisfy dietary needs. Assay methods used to detect B12 are unable to differentiate between B12 and it's analogues, Analysis of possible B12 sources may give false positive results due to the presence of these analogues.

Researchers have suggested that supposed B12 supplements such as spirulina may in fact increase the risk of B12 deficiency disease, as the B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism.

The current nutritional consensus is that no plant foods can be relied on as a safe source of vitamin B12"

Doesn't sound too good to me. But that is generally aimed at Vegans, the strict Vegetarian.

Veg for 17 years and no deficients (deficiencies?) at all, hi

The reason why people usually claim vegetarianism is more healthy is because vegetarians usually put more thought into what they eat, meat eaters usually just eat, like you said, everything, without really thinking about what they eat.

If meat eaters would actually pay as much attention to their diet as vegs they'd probs eat a bit more healthy, yes. But I wouldn't go around claiming a vegetarian diet is more unhealthy when the article you're quoting is talking about vegans.

2dvjurb.png

"Spirulina, an algae available as a dietary supplement in tablet form, and nori, a seaweed, have both appeared to contain significant amounts of B12 after analysis. However, it is thought that this is due to the presence of compounds structurally similar to B12, known as B12 analogues. These cannot be utilised to satisfy dietary needs. Assay methods used to detect B12 are unable to differentiate between B12 and it's analogues, Analysis of possible B12 sources may give false positive results due to the presence of these analogues.

Researchers have suggested that supposed B12 supplements such as spirulina may in fact increase the risk of B12 deficiency disease, as the B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism.

The current nutritional consensus is that no plant foods can be relied on as a safe source of vitamin B12"

Doesn't sound too good to me. But that is generally aimed at Vegans, the strict Vegetarian.

I noticed you linked to webMD earlier.

You should look up some information on the health benefits of a vegetarian diet while you're there.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-lifestyle-guide/vegetarians-vitamins Mainly the second video about supplements.

:thumbup:

As D Jay99 said above, a lot of us have been vegetarians for a long time, and we don't have any deficiencies or health problems.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

I've agreed with numerous posts in this topic. Which is surprising.

Honestly, I could go completely vegeterian if i really wanted too. As it is now, I don't really eat RED meats, i cannot stand the smell, the taste or the texture. If I have to eat it, It must be smothered in a sauce of somesorts to hide it and even then it makes me sick to the stomach.

Each to his own, if you want to eat meat go for it.

If you don't want to then don't. But won't someone please think of the plants??? :P

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

Pasta, rice, potatoes (and all varieties on that, fries etc), couscous, soup, pizza, pancakes, quiche, etc. Of course with various kinds of vegetables etc, and also I find meat replacements to be pretty good around here, not just tofu at all (http://www.tivall.co.uk/, http://www.valess.nl/).

And please dont start an argument about how meat replacements look like meat and are supposed to taste like meat etc, I get that so much it's not even funny. "But why make it look and taste like meat if youre against eating meat??" Hurr that's not my choice, it tastes good, contains proteins and is vegetarian that's why I eat it.

2dvjurb.png

Subtopic; What do you normally eat anyways? Pasta?

I eat every food in existance other than meat, fish, or products containing animal by-products (fat, stock, broth, gelatin, etc.)

tif_vegtimes.jpg

I have a reoccurring subscription to Vegetarian Times magazine; the above are just a few of what I have. They're full of amazing recipes, most of them vegetarian, but a few of them are vegan-friendly as well. It's like $5.00 USD for 12 issues.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Is there something wrong with copious amounts of pasta? Personally, I eat more of that than meat, I think...

The poor cows push the windmills to grind the flour. :sad:

At least in rural Italy.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Is there something wrong with copious amounts of pasta? Personally, I eat more of that than meat, I think...

I never said nor implied it was wrong to eat pasta, just wondering what a vegetarian diet actually consists of. I have a vague idea of what a normal meal would look like, but I'm probably stereotyping. Hmm.

Why would Vegetarians want to eat fake meat products anyway? Doesn't that defeat some of the purpose? Hmm

The poor cows push the windmills to grind the flour. :sad:

At least in rural Italy.

That's more exercise than the average American gets in a lifetime. :mrgreen:

Men should not eat soy.

Vegetarian does not automatically = soy. :thumbdown:

And saying that there is any specific food men shouldn't eat is ridiculous. :thumbdown:

But anyways, has anyone here just simply mixed tofu and pasta together (like, cooked them togetehr), and then put parmesan cheese or pasta sauce on it? So simple, yet so good. It's also good for you nutrionally, as I eat that pretty much every night, along with a varying vegetable, and I'm defintiely in decent shape and good health. :thumbup:

EDIT: I didn't even see those posts, but I responded to them anyways. :mrgreen:

When I'm not having my staple dinner, I soemtiems have cheese pizza, or a veggie sub. Lasanga and ravioli are other commonly ingested foodstuffs. (My vegetable that I have tends to cycle through the following: cauliflower, carrots, cucumber, green pepper, spinach and broccoli. There may be one or two more, but I can't think of them if there are right now.

Where would vegetarians be without Italy?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

It's bad for you...

Again, this might sound weird, bnut I think I'd really a enjoy a very heavy vegetarian lifestyle, but I still *would like * some meat. Like a huge bowl of salad, with maybe some sirloin cubes. I could easily go 4 days or so without meat. But I just can't feel as full unless I have the dead meat of our animal slaves resting inside me.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

It's bad for you...

Again, this might sound weird, bnut I think I'd really a enjoy a very heavy vegetarian lifestyle, but I still *would like * some meat. Like a huge bowl of salad, with maybe some sirloin cubes. I could easily go 4 days or so without meat. But I just can't feel as full unless I have the dead meat of our animal slaves resting inside me.

You can start now. Nothing's stopping you. Go for 'Meatless mondays' etc.