Do animals have morals?

Zierro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the way we see morality.

And how is that?

We see morality as something that is of two states, "right" or "wrong". As others have posted, some things are generally considered to be immoral, but with many things there are many differing opinions about the morality of something.

An animal cannot comprehend right or wrong the way we see them. An animal does something for reward or by instinct (which humans do to a degree as well).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

the way we see morality.

And how is that?

We see morality as something that is of two states, "right" or "wrong". As others have posted, some things are generally considered to be immoral, but with many things there are many differing opinions about the morality of something.

An animal cannot comprehend right or wrong the way we see them. An animal does something for reward or by instinct (which humans do to a degree as well).

Ah, so the argument is that animals do not have morals because even though they do what is instinctively good for them, they don't necessarily know that what they are doing is right, they just do it.

Right?

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Emotion yes. Morals, no. Long post when I am not drunk.

I like the way you think. :thumbup:

I don't, that could have been pretty funny.

I remember reading something about animals having some type of morals not long ago, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

[Edit] Found it. This article just keeps being relevant... http://artofmanliness.com/2010/07/25/our-disembodied-selves-and-the-decline-of-empathy/

Recent research has lent much evidence to the latter view. Especially interesting is the discovery of “mirror neurons” in the brains of humans and some other animals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/5373379/Animals-can-tell-right-from-wrong.html

According to this article, animals who live in groups have some kind of morality. And that makes perfect sense if you think morals is a social survival system. They allow us not to be kicked out of a group. I think it was Freud who said that, on disillusionment and war.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

the way we see morality.

And how is that?

Ah, so the argument is that animals do not have morals because even though they do what is instinctively good for them, they don't necessarily know that what they are doing is right, they just do it.

Right?

Exactly. It's just the concept and understanding of what they're doing that they're missing, not the actions themselves.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

the way we see morality.

And how is that?

Right?

Exactly. It's just the concept and understanding of what they're doing that they're missing, not the actions themselves.

So then how could we go about finding out if they have this "understanding"?

They feel no emotion

Can a dog not have its day?

Dogs get excited when their master returns from a long day of work. Is this emotion, or is it merely a biological response to an external stimuli? And if the latter, couldn't the same be argued for human beings?

It's not emotion, it's instinct. When master gets home, the chance of going on a walk increases, and the dog knows that going on walks feels good, so it get excited.

Hahaha that's so hypocritical.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

Hahaha that's so hypocritical.

Something can feel good and not be emotional. For example, eating strawberries. Also, that's not what hypocritical means.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Something can feel good and not be emotional. For example, eating strawberries. Also, that's not what hypocritical means.

i don't understand that, feeling good (aka happy) has nothing to do with emotions?

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

the way we see morality.

And how is that?

Right?

So then how could we go about finding out if they have this "understanding"?

Well, to me it would seem that to understand something is morally good or bad (which I think is silly, morals are invented by humans), you'd have to be aware of yourself and the world around you. Not many animals are self aware, and none except humans are capable of reason, right?

i don't understand that, feeling good (aka happy) has nothing to do with emotions?

Fulfilling drives, like hunger, thirst, reproduction, exercise, etc. Physically feeling good and happy aren't the same anyway

yes.png

Well, to me it would seem that to understand something is morally good or bad (which I think is silly, morals are invented by humans), you'd have to be aware of yourself and the world around you. Not many animals are self aware, and none except humans are capable of reason, right?

How do we know that animals aren't self aware?

Mirror test is the best we got.

yes.png

Seriously... this is going on waay to far without even defining morals properly. Also, humans are animals. If 'animals' don't have morals, then the subset 'humans' obviously have neither.

If morality is "Sense of what is right and wrong" I tell you to look at the (insert mental disorder) person who sincerely believes killing is good. Look at extremists. You're not telling me Osama bin Laden doesn't sincerely believe 9/11 was good. Obviously, the sense of right and wrong is based on culture.

If morality is absolute, then it's simple: I say it's not. Now prove who's right.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

If morality is absolute, then it's simple: I say it's not. Now prove who's right.

The people who believe that morality is absolute are the ones that believe that it doesn't, or can't, exist because the evidence suggests that it isn't absolute.

And while I'm at it, being concise is very overrated.

Again I'd say that if they have morals, they aren't in the sense that we know them because most of our morals deal with life in a human society.

Seriously... this is going on waay to far without even defining morals properly. Also, humans are animals. If 'animals' don't have morals, then the subset 'humans' obviously have neither.

If morality is "Sense of what is right and wrong" I tell you to look at the (insert mental disorder) person who sincerely believes killing is good. Look at extremists. You're not telling me Osama bin Laden doesn't sincerely believe 9/11 was good. Obviously, the sense of right and wrong is based on culture.

It's kinda moved past morals and into emotions. Morals are a human invention kinda, so of course animals don't have it. And we're a special kind of animal

yes.png

No.

They also do not have "souls": morality is entirely a human construct, although I do strongly suspect that if intelligent life is ever made contact with, they would possess a similar set of guidelines to the living of one's life.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Mirror test is the best we got.

How do they know animals don't react in the way scientists expect them to react (another question I have) because of the fact that they aren't self-aware? Maybe it's just because they don't understand the concept behind a mirror.

As for the other question, what kind of reaction to the reflection would suggest that the animal is self-aware?

If the mirror test is really the best we got, I guess we're clueless then.

How do they know animals don't react in the way scientists expect them to react (another question I have) because of the fact that they aren't self-aware? Maybe it's just because they don't understand the concept behind a mirror.

As for the other question, what kind of reaction to the reflection would suggest that the animal is self-aware?

If the mirror test is really the best we got, I guess we're clueless then.

The reaction would be the animal knowing that the reflection is its own reflection and not another individual of the same species.

Animals that pass according to the Wiki are great apes (bonobos, chimpanzees, orangutans, humans, and gorillas), bottlenose dolphins, orcas, elephants, and European Magpies.

Unreliable Source

The reaction would be the animal knowing that the reflection is its own reflection and not another individual of the same species.

I was asking what kind of behavior proves that the animal knows it is its own reflection. Couldn't the behavior that "proves their self-awareness" imply something completely different?

Darwin seemed to have the right idea behind the flaws of the experiment:

While visiting a zoo, Darwin held a mirror up to an orangutan and recorded the animal's reaction, which included making a series of facial expressions. Darwin noted that the significance of these expressions was ambiguous, and could either signify that the primate was making expressions at what it perceived to be another animal, or it could be playing a sort of game with a new toy.

EDIT: I read more of the article and now it does seem like a pretty solid (although not foolproof) method of determining whether animals exhibit self-awareness or not:

Gordon Gallup built on these observations by devising a test that attempts to gauge self-awareness by determining whether an animal can recognize its own reflection in a mirror as an image of itself. This is accomplished by surreptitiously marking the animal with two odourless dye spots. The test spot is on a part of the animal that would be visible in front of a mirror, while the control spot is in an accessible but hidden part of the animal's body. Scientists observe that the animal reacts in a manner consistent with it being aware that the test dye is located on its own body while ignoring the control dye. Such behaviour includes turning and adjusting of the body in order to better view the marking in the mirror, or poking at the marking on its own body with a limb while viewing the mirror [instead of poking at the image in the mirror].

People seem to become amazingly enlightened in the shower.

I personally believe they *do* have morals, however not as fierce as us humans, and quite honestly, their "morals" are more like "instincts". Dont forget dogs wont normally kill other dogs, that's in my opinion a sign of morality.

22031_s.gif

I personally believe they *do* have morals, however not as fierce as us humans, and quite honestly, their "morals" are more like "instincts". Dont forget dogs wont normally kill other dogs, that's in my opinion a sign of morality.

With an explanation. Wolves are pack animals, right? Killing off others in your pack isn't a good idea if you rely on them to survive. It's refraining from an action because it could have negative consequences.

Could say the same about human morals though.

(I do agree)

Animals cannot have morals any more than they can have cities: they are both entirely human constructs. There is no all-knowing-pumpkin-in-the-sky who has created of a code of morality which all humans magically posses.

Having declared my position as a nihilist, I now withdraw from this conversation.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Animals cannot have morals any more than they can have cities: they are both entirely human constructs. There is no all-knowing-pumpkin-in-the-sky who has created of a code of morality which all humans magically posses.

Having declared my position as a nihilist, I now withdraw from this conversation.

What if we look at morality as more than a human construct?