Tip.It Times - 26th September 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well, in all seriousness, 5 years ago, abyssal whip was the best weapon in game, and well- it's still the best nondegradeable weapon in game... I wouldn't say weaponry has changed too much in the years just because most of them have been specialty weapons. The last 5 years have been boring in terms of weapons released, before that, however, mystic staves were the best training weapons(not dragon longswords). Also, ranged weapons have changed a ton more than melee.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I think in a few years weapons will have changed alot. From rune to chaotic, and from chaotic to weapons with more than 200+ bonus. Thats only melee, there are millions of possibility's that could occur. I'm really looking forward to new armour. I mean bandos has been around for quite a long time for me, which is currently the best armour to have (not 3A because of high price). Many people have it and instead of adding skills/items that are useless to mostly everybody, they should have a majority vote on what should be coming out. Since others that are 138+99/1 120 all have nothing to train in which to level up. I think jagex should buckle down and pay attention to whats happening in rs today.

Aeneous_Core.png

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I thought the first article was very hard to read. The style drew me away from the subject of the article and the grammar was borderline poor at times.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Yup, I have tried a huge variety of weapons, but like everyone else I seem to always fall back on the whip. It's the best of both worlds (strength and speed).

There are better weapons, and weapons with better specials, but they either degrade or their regular attack sucks or is slow. Whip is still #1 in my book for training.

Big_Stingman.png

Also, ranged weapons have changed a ton more than melee.

Ehh, ever since the crossbow came out its pretty much been best.

magic shortbow, crystal bow, bolt specs, dark bow are all newer than dragon equipment.. (most even newer than whips.)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I read article #1, about "The Evolution of Weaponry"... IMO, the only thing that can really come next is Range/Mage weaponry that can parallel (and potentially beat, because it would make the fight fair) godswords and other similarly powerful melee weapons. Further, better melee-blocking Mage Armors need to be released to help balance mage vs. melee fights. Until that's done, combat in RuneScape will remain forever unbalanced. 'Nuff said. -.-

~D. V. "Has to be for Range/Mage... Melee's got beyond enough, now." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I think the whip is still the overall best weapon in game. The chaotic weapons are limited in terms of their attack style (mainly only stab) and cost 2M to recharge or a ton of tokens which is a big put-off.

I personally am never going to go for a chaotic rapier or longsword because I shouldn't have to keep paying for an item with better stats.. It's like a mortgage on a weapon. Whatever suits people though. I'm sticking to the whip until there's a better weapon which doesn't degrade or need any payment.

2vuhgcn.png

Also, ranged weapons have changed a ton more than melee.

Ehh, ever since the crossbow came out its pretty much been best.

That is a horrible statement as it is EXTREMELY situational. When talking about boss hunting armadyl, sure, crossbows are best, but for ranged DPS, crossbows aren't the best. Before slayer people only used MSB, and it was effectively the only ranged weapon out there. Since then we have had crossbows, dark bow, god bows, hand cannon, crystal bow and karils cbow, and for training, atleast, there is no one clear favorite. Knives/darts are best for kurdal dungeon low defense monsters and general training, crossbows have average damage and average speed and accuracy, making them a good overall weapon, crystal bow is a cheap training weapon and hand cannon is a ~expensive high hitting pking/mh'ing weapon, so really, ranged weapons have changed a TON more.

I think the whip is still the overall best weapon in game. The chaotic weapons are limited in terms of their attack style (mainly only stab) and cost 2M to recharge or a ton of tokens which is a big put-off.

I personally am never going to go for a chaotic rapier or longsword because I shouldn't have to keep paying for an item with better stats.. It's like a mortgage on a weapon. Whatever suits people though. I'm sticking to the whip until there's a better weapon which doesn't degrade or need any payment.

Chaotic weapons are not limited in attack style- they are also not limited in attack modes(can train strength). A chaotic rapier is ALWAYS better than whip with it's 4 lower slash attack and 19 higher strength bonus. Also, stab is the best attack mode to have, slash being the least useful.

If you compare owning a chaotic weapon to a mortgage, then really, you will still be paying a mortgage when using an abyssal whip- only not in gp, but in your time, and more often than not, the mortgage on a whip is MUCH higher.

Wingless,

First off, I have to admit that there are several errors in your article regarding the history of weaponry.

Your statement 'Dragon and Runite weaponry have been around for a very long time, pretty much from the start of the game' is far from true.

While looking at the history of Jagex updates regarding weaponry, it had taken quite some time for both rune and dragon armor to be released. While initially, the first weapon update (That I personally can remember) was the introduction of black weaponry. From black armor, it was not long until rune armor was released. It was not a small jump to the release of stat requirements for the use of armor and weapons, after all we don't want level 3 players walking around with full rune/dragon. I first bought a rune 2hander when they were initially released (player made only) and cost upwards of 750k!!

Prior to the release of dragon armor came the release of Members only worlds, and hence several new weapons were released (though still within the old forms of mith, black, and addy).

It was then that dragon was released, and with it a multitude of other update up until now.

I hope that this clears up some of the 'historical' matters.

Regards,

Original

I read article #1, about "The Evolution of Weaponry"... IMO, the only thing that can really come next is Range/Mage weaponry that can parallel (and potentially beat, because it would make the fight fair) godswords and other similarly powerful melee weapons. Further, better melee-blocking Mage Armors need to be released to help balance mage vs. melee fights. Until that's done, combat in RuneScape will remain forever unbalanced. 'Nuff said. -.-

A well prepared Mage can easily outbeat most rangers and warriors. Crossbows have a 9 square range, whilst mage attacks have 10. All a mage needs to do is successfully kite and he shall win, albiet rather slowly unless he has a Arcane Stream and other boosts available.

In my opinion, there should be a magic special attack, perhaps like a dragon dagger special with 2 magic attacks at the same time

Knives/darts are best for kurdal dungeon low defense monsters and general training, crossbows have average damage and average speed and accuracy, making them a good overall weapon

Ive always thought crossbows had similar DPS as knives, but ive never done much slayer.

crystal bow is a cheap training weapon

Not really cheaper than broad bolts. I haven't seen anyone training with a crystal bow in god knows how long.

and hand cannon is a ~expensive high hitting pking/mh'ing weapon, so really, ranged weapons have changed a TON more.

Not really much different from godsword and claws.

O.O

Rune knives and Hand cannon are the best range DPS weapons in runescape. Are claws/godswords under any of those distinctions?

Crystal bow was the best range training weapon at times, and since this is historical discussion... You really should look at Moronic's range DPS sheets, otherwise you'll just look stupid...

Rune knives and Hand cannon are the best range DPS weapons in runescape. Are claws/godswords under any of those distinctions?

Rune knives don't sound the least bit overpriced?

Not to mention you were talking about them being KO weapons.

Crystal bow was the best range training weapon at times, and since this is historical discussion...

In the same way that dragon scim was the best strength training weapon, at times.

You really should look at Moronic's range DPS sheets, otherwise you'll just be looking stupid...

Has to look at some guy ive never even heard of's DPS sheets just to have an opinion.

O.O

A well prepared Mage can easily outbeat most rangers and warriors. Crossbows have a 9 square range, whilst mage attacks have 10. All a mage needs to do is successfully kite and he shall win, albiet rather slowly unless he has a Arcane Stream and other boosts available.

In my opinion, there should be a magic special attack, perhaps like a dragon dagger special with 2 magic attacks at the same time

The ancient magic spells are basically a special attack happening every cast so it would be very overpowered if magic got something like that

Money_Wasted.png

The ancient magic spells are basically a special attack happening every cast so it would be very overpowered if magic got something like that

The tradeoff is magic generally has far lower damage and KO potential than melee, but yea i kinda agree.

This may have been a good suggestion a while back, but magic is quite powerful at this point.

O.O

Rune knives don't sound the least bit overpriced?

Not to mention you were talking about them being KO weapons.

Crystal bow was the best range training weapon at times, and since this is historical discussion...

In the same way that dragon scim was the best strength training weapon, at times.

You really should look at Moronic's range DPS sheets, otherwise you'll just be looking stupid...

Has to look at some guy ive never even heard of's DPS sheets just to have an opinion.

KO weapons can't be good for training? In any case, your thought that crossbows were best is as wrong. It's also ridiculous that you go after just one of the two methods. I could argue that onyx/dragon bolts are ridiculously expensive, but you are not likely to use them. Hand cannon is about as expensive as diamond/rune bolts with chaotic crossbow, but have better DPS.

Dragon scimitar has NEVER been the best strength training weapon. Dharok says hi.

Opinion? which weapon is best for something isn't about opinion. If you think this is about opinions then you are as wrong as anyone. Weapons can be tested against one another, thus you can scientifically prove which of those is best, opinion or no opinion. You clearly aren't smart enough to go test out these range weapons, so using a good and proven range DPS calculator should be easy enough for you.

And it is accurate to say that for most of runescapes life rune and dragon weapons have existed in it, maybe not the first months, maybe not in the first year but I think they came early enough for that statment to be accurate

It wasn't for several years for rune/dragon/RS2 to be released.

KO weapons can't be good for training? In any case, your thought that crossbows were best is as wrong. It's also ridiculous that you go after just one of the two methods. I could argue that onyx/dragon bolts are ridiculously expensive, but you are not likely to use them. Hand cannon is about as expensive as diamond/rune bolts with chaotic crossbow, but have better DPS.

Dragon scimitar has NEVER been the best strength training weapon. Dharok says hi.

Opinion? which weapon is best for something isn't about opinion. If you think this is about opinions then you are as wrong as anyone. Weapons can be tested against one another, thus you can scientifically prove which of those is best, opinion or no opinion. You clearly aren't smart enough to go test out these range weapons, so using a good and proven range DPS calculator should be easy enough for you.

Ok, you win.

Opinion? which weapon is best for something isn't about opinion.

Ugh, yea it is.

For some, red chins are the best ranged XP, for those that arent ridiculously rich, rune cbow is the best ranged XP.

Its opinion.

O.O

Opinion? which weapon is best for something isn't about opinion.

Ugh, yea it is.

For some, red chins are the best ranged XP, for those that arent ridiculously rich, rune cbow is the best ranged XP.

Its opinion.

It's an opinion if you talk about something that can't be tested, but if i say that hand cannon has greater DPS than rune crossbow, it's a fact, as it can easily be tested and proved. I agree that this gets harder to do when you consider obscure methods(like cannoning or chinning) but for 1 on 1 comparison, this is fairly easy to do.