Flaming

TheAncient

The KB sucks for information lol. Half the stuff in there is wrong.

I'd like to disagree with you, but I remember when those dunge class rings came out.... did or didn't the str/agressive option require you to beat on aggressive? Mods said contrary things that day lol...

There really has been tons of stuff wrong in the KB. Off the top of my head, the stats of the chaotic staff.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As people have higher levels or more money for a longer and longer amount of time, they forget what it was like to play with less and turn their noses at the players earlier in the grind.

I think it has always been the case that there are those people with higher levels who will be disparaging of lower levels. (not all high levels do this by any stretch - but enough to be noticable) Some of it is intentionally malicious, but more of it is just people not taking due consideration as to who they might be offending.

I think the difference these days is that the game has been running so long that the levels these people consider to be low level is rising.

Generally it takes quite a while for people to become active members of the tip.it community, so for a long while people being disparaging of low levels weren't really talking about people in this community.

It takes two to make an argument, so such comments didn't often go anywhere on tip.it and we didn't get the noob vs nolifer arguments here(to clarifiy a common response to being called a noob seems to be to call the perpertrator a nolifer - I'm personally not saying high levels are no-lifers)

but I think it's now got to the point where the perceived low level is now high enough it does include many active tip.iters - enough of them that they will bite back at perceived slights to their style of play. Which leads to more debates on the issue - and the internet being the internet - a high number of debates turn to flame wars.

Flaming and taking part in a healthy debate are two very different things, but gets mixed up alot. No one has to flame, to win an argument. But TipIt community has changed, and I see more controversial topics being made for the sake of 'discussion/argument'.

I see alot of trolls around, like the ones that deliberately call merchanting 'Manipulating', etc.

It's really more of an issue of people not agreeing to one side of the debate. Some are just too stubborn to look at the other points.

The "efficiency" thread is a very good example of this. Heck, you can even count in "chaotic rapier vs longsword" because no conclusion can be really drawn...

But all this falls short to the f2p discussions we used to have on these forums. Granted we have a general discussion for f2pers now, which pretty much put an end to the f2p flamebait. But boy... the "skillcapes for f2p" thread was really heated.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I'd say four things.

-The growth of merchanting (solo or in clans)

-The growth of the concept of efficiency

-The growing number of high level players

-Dungeoneering and the art of making good teams and rushing

People are led to hate each of the above groups/concepts. Proponents of each tend to respond snobbishly because they have ridiculously more experience or money already than the masses led to hate them.

As people have higher levels or more money for a longer and longer amount of time, they forget what it was like to play with less and turn their noses at the players earlier in the grind.

I agree with jettrider.

Staurolite.png

Could one not argue that more people = more debates = more flaming .

It's like saying the population of a city grows ten fold, and the pollution doubles. It's a side effect that is very hard to control

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Does anyone else see the correlation between the amount of people posting 'no discussion value close topic' posts, and the amount of flame topics around?

I think we're causing this flame fest because the only topics that survive the razor-sharp moderation are argument threads.

Don't confuse 'discussion value' for 'argument.' and maybe we won't get so many flame posts.

signature.png

Does anyone else see the correlation between the amount of people posting 'no discussion value close topic' posts, and the amount of flame topics around?

I think we're causing this flame fest because the only topics that survive the razor-sharp moderation are argument threads.

Don't confuse 'discussion value' for 'argument.' and maybe we won't get so many flame posts.

We don't lock that many threads D: And arguments don't necessarily have to lead to flaming. Flaming is a result of the user, not the topic at hand. There are plenty of people who flame in threads that aren't arguments at all. It is perfectly possible to have debates without resorting to flaming and personal attacks.

I don't really think our moderation is "razor sharp." Just looking at the first post of General Discussion, only three threads are locked. One locked due to having ~10 pages of off-topic arguments and the other two due to them being duplicate threads.

A thread doesn't have to be a debate or argument for it to remain open. It does, however, have to have something worth discussing.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

The reason that there are less "funny" topics is because of the Questionnaires sub-forum. Those are the light-hearted topics people don't see anymore.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

The reason that there are less "funny" topics is because of the Questionnaires sub-forum. Those are the light-hearted topics people don't see anymore.

I think it's sad that Debate Club has to be merged with General Discussion but General discussion has to be separate from Questionnaires. I think Questionnaires should be allowed in General Discussion, as long as it has some discussion value, instead of just a simple yes/no type answer.

I think it's sad that Debate Club has to be merged with General Discussion but General discussion has to be separate from Questionnaires. I think Questionnaires should be allowed in General Discussion, as long as it has some discussion value, instead of just a simple yes/no type answer.

Well that's what differentiates General Discussion from Questionnaires. General Discussion is home for threads that have discussion value. So if you're asking a question that does have OBVIOUS discussion value (and is being responded to with good discussions) then it can certainly be posted here. But Questionnaires is the place for questions that only require a short, one word/sentence answer.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Flaming where? :twisted:

Seriously though. I haven't seen any flaming. I've seen players not agreeing and going a bit off-topic but not like before. For example; the 200M Exp thread, players have argued but not much flaming. They argue with long and well thought out posts. (atleast those I've read) And there are people trying to end the debate, trying to get on-topic and see how big threads are now? That's because they don't get locked.

We have a F2P Discussion thread! Before we would get flamed, I won't say massive flaming because mods here do a good job of not letting it go that far. :P

An example is the constant battles between F2P and F2P Haters in the thead about not giving F2P more bankspace! This is one example of many F2P vs F2P Haters flame wars, which are dead now.

We have grown up, the kids that cause problems here will get lessoned by us older Tifers/RSers. :shame: :mrgreen:

Well that's what differentiates General Discussion from Questionnaires. General Discussion is home for threads that have discussion value. So if you're asking a question that does have OBVIOUS discussion value (and is being responded to with good discussions) then it can certainly be posted here. But Questionnaires is the place for questions that only require a short, one word/sentence answer.

Because so few people, comparativly, go in Q subforum. That is rather obvious.

And in part, people don't learn common logic in school anymore. So few people know what a straw man, ad hominum, etc fallacies are, and how they can be usedor detected. As long as not caught, they are incredibly effective. They are quite often a part of debates, or arguments.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

This topic is being made just now? TIF has been in a downwards spiral for months now. Personally, I blame the even more immature crowd that has shown up in the past year or so. Hell, TIF remains the best Runescape community out there, but that isn't saying much.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

This topic is being made just now? TIF has been in a downwards spiral for months now. Personally, I blame the even more immature crowd that has shown up in the past year or so. Hell, TIF remains the best Runescape community out there, but that isn't saying much.

Yeah. :mellow: The Runescape Sections (especially General from what I know.) seem to have fallen below normal. I have been away from it through so my senses may have became dull, or OT has made me more mature. Can't tell. All I know is that it appears that a lot of people enjoy an Ego boost. Through I bet with time it will return to a more "less aggressive" environment.

vizardsig-1.png

Yeah. :mellow: The Runescape Sections (especially General from what I know.) seem to have fallen below normal. I have been away from it through so my senses may have became dull, or OT has made me more mature. Can't tell. All I know is that it appears that a lot of people enjoy an Ego boost. Through I bet with time it will return to a more "less aggressive" environment.

Indeed, and if this continues, TIF will slowly but surely turn into the 2nd RSOF.

Staurolite.png

Indeed, and if this continues, TIF will slowly but surely turn into the 2nd RSOF.

That's pretty pessimistic of you. Let's argue about it.

dgs5.jpg

But i don't want to.

Staurolite.png

But i don't want to.

Thats part of discussion. There is nothing wrong with arguing, inherently.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I wouldn't say TIF has become more immature, in fact I'm sure there has been a rise in intelligent discussion and debate.

This. It's just that the discussions are usually very heated, so it seems like there's a lot of flaming and trolling (admittedly, there's a lot of trolling, but it's usually accompanied by intelligent discussion).

dgs5.jpg

There hasn't really been an increase of an immature crowd. The recent topics always involve the same people in heated arguments and debates.

And TIF isn't falling apart. I actually like it when there are more heated discussions, because it makes the forums more lively. :D Plus, a lot of the "flame wars" don't really detract from the topic, so I don't see that being a big problem.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention