Flaming

TheAncient

TIF has gotten a lot more flamey nowadays

Granted, I haven't really helped the situation - I've had some pretty controversial posts - but I am not usually malicious.

I think a lot of it boils down to viewing the game in very separate ways

Why did this come about, and what can we do about it?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are people, always going to disagree with someone.

tif hasn't always been this flamey though...

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I think the main reason is that currently people have become too stubborn in their discussions. Neither side is ever able to agree or concede parts of arguments any more. I think we also have a lack of random topics, which aren't all around discussions and arguments, but are just fun.

Edit: To add onto this, people too often resort to name calling, saying people are trolling and taking things personally when all people should be doing is discussing the post not the poster.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Maybe I'm posting in different topics than I used to, but I actually seem to be getting in less debates and flamebait discussions.

Honestly, I'm not sure that I notice much of a difference (not significantly more or less flames than a few years ago). Of all things, I'd say that there's less flaming.. At least, less flaming that is significant enough to violate the rules. In terms of moderating, there are a lot less posts that need removal these days than a few years ago.

I think it starts with disagreements and sometimes people don't know how to handle disagreements. They get frustrated when someone else doesn't see their side of things and lash out.

But as a reminder, be sure to report any flaming that you see so it can be dealt with accordingly ;)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Honestly, I'm not sure that I notice much of a difference (not significantly more or less flames than a few years ago). Of all things, I'd say that there's less flaming.. At least, less flaming that is significant enough to violate the rules. In terms of moderating, there are a lot less posts that need removal these days than a few years ago.

I think it starts with disagreements and sometimes people don't know how to handle disagreements. They get frustrated when someone else doesn't see their side of things and lash out.

But as a reminder, be sure to report any flaming that you see so it can be dealt with accordingly ;)

This is a good point.

While nowadays I feel there are far more heated and controversial debates, I don't think the caliber of "flaming" is as high as before.

You used to have threads open with "don't post flame". I haven't seen a thread open with that (or end with it) for a long, long time. Just the same, many threads in the past would be branded with "read the entire thread", while nowadays I rarely see it, either because posters are becoming more concise (something I've never mastered, heh) or because repliers are actually doing it more than they used to.

Yeah, I haven't threads like that in a while. Though they is still pretty common on the RSOF :P

Some things never change :P

A few years ago I tended to notice more flaming in the "rate this" forum, which was mostly between a few groups, clifford could probably give a better description of it than me though. Nowadays it seems to have spread a little bit more. There's always been/always will be people who argue though. If the moderators say that it's decreased then I'm inclined to believe them, they deal with it after all.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

I'd say four things.

-The growth of merchanting (solo or in clans)

-The growth of the concept of efficiency

-The growing number of high level players

-Dungeoneering and the art of making good teams and rushing

People are led to hate each of the above groups/concepts. Proponents of each tend to respond snobbishly because they have ridiculously more experience or money already than the masses led to hate them.

As people have higher levels or more money for a longer and longer amount of time, they forget what it was like to play with less and turn their noses at the players earlier in the grind.

2496 Completionist

These forums used to be informative many years ago.

Since Jagex released the knowledge base, tipit has become simply a place to deposit opinions.

Opinions lead to debates, debates lead to arguments, arguments lead to flaming.

Alot of people also have developed egos over the years that leads them to exaggerate data (like xp per hour).

Some even like to tell everybody how to play the right way (aka their way).

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Since Jagex released the knowledge base, tipit has become simply a place to deposit opinions.

Alot of people also have developed egos over the years that leads them to exaggerate data (like xp per hour).

I would say that tip it (both the main site and forums) still have useful information. The knowledge based tends to focus more on facts whereas the information posted here goes into greater detail and has guidance included.

I think the game has become smaller as things which were previously just being discovered have become wider spread. When you hit the first proven (to my knowledge) 100, that was unheard of outside of a quest, and corect me if I'm wrong, sparked a stickied topic about hitting high. That was a first, nowadays many firsts in runescape have already happened, making it seem less informative as we've been aware of them for a long time, a player starting today would be shocked by the amount of information on here though.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

@jettrider

Idk if you included manipulation clans the "merchanting (solo or clans)" but i think people hate them and their ge spammers for good reason. I distinctly recall the leader of smokin mils getting laughed out of a thread in Discontinued Items on the RSOF.

pere_grin.png

@jettrider

Idk if you included manipulation clans the "merchanting (solo or clans)" but i think people hate them and their ge spammers for good reason. I distinctly recall the leader of smokin mils getting laughed out of a thread in Discontinued Items on the RSOF.

I just put it all in one topic because both make people angry:

-Manipulation clans make everyone angry because they use a pyramid scheme to make the already-rich players multi-billionaires

-Solo merchanters sometimes draw flak for sometimes over-exaggerating daily profits and for earning money without "working for it." Also, many players have lost money trying to merchant and are frustrated at these people.

2496 Completionist

I would disagree; there are a lot of very good guides on tif and a lot of pros to receive info from.

sigcopyaf.png

We're really discussing the fact that flaming exists on a forum? Slow news day I guess.

(Inb4 anti-flame squad quotes me)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The KB sucks for information lol. Half the stuff in there is wrong.

I'd like to disagree with you, but I remember when those dunge class rings came out.... did or didn't the str/agressive option require you to beat on aggressive? Mods said contrary things that day lol...

And shady, what we're discussing is how flaming has changed on this forum over the years, and specifically if it has increased or not.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.