Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's Your Favourite Book?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Hawks
[ Display Name History ]

Hawks

The Goalie

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,963 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Hawk0078
Same, I am very mad at Paolini about Brisingr. When is the 'I had too much material for just a third book' fourth book due out anyway?

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab

Same, I am very mad at Paolini about Brisingr. When is the 'I had too much material for just a third book' fourth book due out anyway?

Imo, you should only be disappointed about Brisingr if you didn't like the book, not because it wasn't the end to the trilogy. You seem to imply otherwise.

Have to say, I'm a tad disapointed in this thread - half the responses seem to involve Harry Potter or the Inheritance trilogy - I was hoping to see a wider variety. Not to say that other books aren't mentioned but...idk *mumble mumble*

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tripsis

Have to say, I'm a tad disapointed in this thread - half the responses seem to involve Harry Potter or the Inheritance trilogy - I was hoping to see a wider variety. Not to say that other books aren't mentioned but...idk *mumble mumble*

Well Harry Potter, at least, is pretty hard to beat :lol:
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -
- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Hawks
[ Display Name History ]

Hawks

The Goalie

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,963 posts
Sorry, I did really hate the content, specifically because he drew out the second half of the book, which I assumed was because he believed he had too much content to cram into one more book, whereas I believe it was the opposite, he didn't have enough content and wanted more money for more books.

My personal favorite of that trilogy is Eldest though. I feel he got everything right there.

LOTR>HP if only because of Legolas.

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts

LOTR>HP if only because of Legolas.

Story/lore-wise, maybe. But I find HP easier and more enjoyable to read because I much prefer Rowling's style of writing.
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

That's the thing. I really don't think it's hard to beat. Good books and all, but I've read plenty of books I like just as much, if not more. Frankly, I think the reason it's so successful is (like Twilight - come to think of it, surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet) is because it's a story that a lot of people like and can really associate with; they're also both "fantasy" books set in the real world. Incidentally, I like my fantasy set in a fantasy world.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
I guess it just all comes down to opinion :) I have been reading A LOT my entire life and Harry Potter still probably comes in second for me. There are other books that I love but none except for His Dark Materials quite match up or aren't good enough for me to want to read them over and over again.

Also, I quite like my books set in the real world, I think. I guess it makes me spend more time thinking that it could be real, and I like that feeling.
Posted Image

Skeptical
[ Display Name History ]

Skeptical

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,906 posts
I enjoyed Harry Potter, but I have to say that even Rowling at her best never approached the skill of Tolkien at creating not just a story but a genre. I only got a few chapters into one of the Pullman books before I quit.

And to one of the above posters: you are complaining about the presence of a popular fantasy book on a forum about a popular fantasy MMORPG.
"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."
Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Nom
[ Display Name History ]

Nom

Editorial Panel Member

• Members
  • 3,045 posts
I had to try really hard not to start spouting irreverent hate for the Inheritance books in my first post. It makes me sad to see them on so many people's lists.

Harry Potter is hard to beat because it's so imaginative and culturally relevant. It helps that the books are passably written as well, so there's less reason to criticize that aspect. I mean, they're far from stellar, but it gets the job done. Unlike some others. . .

Also, I have to give a shout-out to the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Fantastic books that no one seems to have read.

p2gq.jpg

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

I enjoyed Harry Potter, but I have to say that even Rowling at her best never approached the skill of Tolkien at creating not just a story but a genre. I only got a few chapters into one of the Pullman books before I quit.

And to one of the above posters: you are complaining about the presence of a popular fantasy book on a forum about a popular fantasy MMORPG.

Oh! Snap!

But seriously, as hypocritical as this may sound coming from someone who plays a semi-mainstream game... I don't like the concept of "mainstream" very much. It's just... things like Harry Potter, a very mainstream book... part of its popularity, like so many other things, is its popularity. Once something good becomes popular enough, the popularity causes an increasing number of people to check it out and (surprise surprise) they like it (frankly, if something is mainstream and popular, it has to have something going for it ;-) )

However, at a certain point people start looking, reading (in the case of books) and liking (in this case) the book, simply because it is "in" or popular.

Not to diss HP or anything, still a good set of books, it just seems....unoriginal to me if that makes any sense :wall:

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

Harry Potter is pretty easy to match and, when you get out of the Young Adult realm of fiction, surpass. I would rank a series like A Song of Fire and Ice, which is almost as long and very intricate, far above it in terms of quality. But sometimes, books are just good for good ol' fashioned enjoyment. In that, you could argue that almost any fiction novel achieves.

I FORGOT A SERIES:

Posted Image

A very dark Young Adult book, but highly entertaining and very interesting main character. Quick read.

hzvjpwS.gif

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Also, I have to give a shout-out to the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Fantastic books that no one seems to have read.

Oh, god, that's the one about the apprentice who summons the demon to strong for him, right? Man, total nostalgia flash there, I'ma have to get those again.

As for my favorite: It's been to long since I read a really good book. I pretty much stopped reading new books after I quit reading the Wheel of Time series, so I've got a lot of nostalgia going on this. For books that I've read since High School, I'd say Nation by Terry Pratchet. It was different from the rest of his stuff, but I enjoyed it a lot. Diskworld kinda got old, especially when I read them out of order. :3

Pre-High school, I'd probably have said Harry Potter #2. Though, I'm fairly certain there's something hiding in the back of my brain that topped that, but I forgot it. Ergh.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

If you're a Crichton fan, you have to read Pirate Latitudes. (An assistant found the manuscript saved on his computer, and his publisher -- HarperCollins -- published it posthumously.)

I read this and thought it was a bit incomplete. If he didn't die he probably would have polished it a lot.
Otherwise, very awesome :thumbup:
Not sure what a favorite would be. LOTR Trilogy is awesome, Inheritance may be up there if Paolini makes the 4th amazing.

Probably a tie between the LOTR trilogy and Crichton's Great Train Robbery.

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Oh, god, that's the one about the apprentice who summons the demon to strong for him, right? Man, total nostalgia flash there, I'ma have to get those again.

As for my favorite: It's been to long since I read a really good book. I pretty much stopped reading new books after I quit reading the Wheel of Time series, so I've got a lot of nostalgia going on this. For books that I've read since High School, I'd say Nation by Terry Pratchet. It was different from the rest of his stuff, but I enjoyed it a lot. Diskworld kinda got old, especially when I read them out of order. :3

Pre-High school, I'd probably have said Harry Potter #2. Though, I'm fairly certain there's something hiding in the back of my brain that topped that, but I forgot it. Ergh.

For reasons that, looking back on it, appear to have been chance, I started the discworld with book 1. Because of.... who I am, I guess, I have made a distinct point is acquiring and reading them in the order they were published.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Corvus
[ Display Name History ]

Corvus

Lord of Ravens

• Members
  • 947 posts
  • RSN:Ponyseidon
  • RSN2:Stone Of Jas
  • Clan:Bronyville
Overall I would have to say that my favorite books are E.E. Knight's Age of Fire series (planned to be 6 books with the final one coming out next year.)
Other than that I like the Wheel of Time series, the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy(but not #4), Discworld, the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and Ender's Game.
Posted Image
Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts

If you're a Crichton fan, you have to read Pirate Latitudes. (An assistant found the manuscript saved on his computer, and his publisher -- HarperCollins -- published it posthumously.)

Michael Crichton.
Pirates.
Enough said.

I have that book and I didn't really get into it. I can't remember how far I got, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 through but it never fully captured my interest and I just had little desire to stick with it :(
Posted Image

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Michael Crichton.
Pirates.
Enough said.

I have that book and I didn't really get into it. I can't remember how far I got, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 through but it never fully captured my interest and I just had little desire to stick with it :(

It gets better.

Serpent Eye
[ Display Name History ]

Serpent Eye

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Michael Crichton.
Pirates.
Enough said.

It certainly isn't my favorite Crichton book (that would be Jurassic Park, followed by The Lost World) but it is definitely really high up there. I love his other books -- Congo, Disclosure, Eaters of the Dead, etc. -- very much... but when I read Pirate Latitudes, it instantly surpassed them all.

I do have to say that it didn't "feel" like a Crichton novel, really in the sense that he wasn't talking about computers, gene technology, etc., but his story telling was excellent as always.

You should give it another go at some point. :P It gets good once the gunpowder is brought into play. :twisted:

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Hawks
[ Display Name History ]

Hawks

The Goalie

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,963 posts
Completely forgot about Bartameus. Love those, can't spell the name though. Also I liked the Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, awesome victorian-ish books with modern syntax.

saml
[ Display Name History ]

saml

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • RSN:crynlumby
Posted Image

Twilight Saga TBH.. love it :)

Posted Image
99mage::99agil::99craft::99fletch::99mining::99smithing::99fishing::99cook::99fm::99wc
Assist u?! YES IN DEEDY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users