How were you raised?

Mcqueen

*Sports wise*

1) Were you raised in this day and age of "everybody wins" and "it's ok to lose as long as you have fun"?

Or

2) Were you raised back when winning was everything?

I was raised in 1... Now that I've gone through middle school (played basketball) and now in highschool it's kinda rough for me. I wasn't raised to want to win all the time and now that's what it's about.

So.... How were you raised?

For me winning is everything....I like to win....but then again i dont want to bother winning if im not having fun

Same for my X-country team and indoor soccer. WE ALWAYS are joking around and are never serious. Yet we always win more in X-country though. We act stupid, make jokes, flirt with the girls (in X-country that is), mess around and joke with our coach ( he doesn't really joke around with us bu doesnt actually stop us, we make fun of his baldness :lol: ) We act stupid on the bus....like one time we pretended we were pirates and kept sayinh ARRGGH and then we took out pens and drew pirate tatoos on our arms. I was the lookout guy.

But our record in Xcountry was 20-0 we only lost at states (came in 2nd)

EASTERN WAYNE HIGH - NC

And our soccer team was like 15-4. I only play indoor cuz i run x-country during regular season cause it gets you in really good shape)

It sorta depends. I was sorta in the middle, because most of the time if I lost, I would be really mad at myself, even if no one else cared. I always would get hockey medals with "Everybody's a Winner" on it, but we know we lost and were sad, and they won and were happy. Winning is always better, so long as you do so with class.

But then again, if I were on a poor team, I'd lose and we'd laugh. Sometimes in some sports (sports where it would go to a certain score and end [volleyball etc.]) I would want the other team to win (because we lost most of the time) because A. the coach never played me because they didn't like me, even though I was decent enuf (spite! :), and B. so I could go home.

So it really sorta depends. I don't really care if people want me to win or not, if I play poorly I'm harder on myself than others are.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Winning isn't everything 8)

It is when you go to a big school :x

No, having fun is more important than winning. Oftentimes, winning is required if you want to enjoy yourself, but this isn't always true. Even at a big school, I think there are ways to enjoy yourself without always focusing exclusively on winning. Be optimistic, because winning isn't everything. It's something, but not everything. Even if it seems otherwise :wink:

finalsig9wq.gif

They tried to raise me point 1 style, but they didnt succeed. I cant be happy unless I know Im the best... and after typing this I believe that maybe I should see a shrink about it.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have small purple pet elephants named Jack. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who like to do the fandango on Wednesday afternoons

Winning isn't everything 8)

It is when you go to a big school :x

yes it is i am on the varisty basketball team , and do track and field i was raised not to lose and get pretty mad when i lose

RSN: 1 day late | Private chat: On

| 60 ATTACK | 81 STRENGTH | 72 HITPOINTS |

| 80 MAGIC | 13 PRAYER | 1 DEFENSE | 65 COMBAT |

I was brought up to believe that winning was everything. I found out on my own that it's not. You need to have fun as well.

It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. (Old expression, but so true)

If you win, good for you. If you lose, find out why you lost and learn from your mistake.

3898000bYVcx.png

My primary school used to say the important thing was to have fun, then at highschool they told us winning matters. My parents didn't really say either. But the fact that all the teams I was in sucked both with and without me meant that winning wasn't everything; it was an impossibility.

Some sports these days they don't even keep score when they're young so the kids don't know who won. All this PC bullcrap.

I wasn't pushed by my mum, but she wasn't all like as long as you have fun either. Sorta in the middle, my sport was swimming, which is pretty competative.

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

BTW Bubsa, People keep track of scores cause they think winning is everying :wink:

Well then, Captain Obvious, you'd see where I lie in this arguement.

Don't get me wrong though, folks. Take up a sport because you enjoy it, not just to win things. Just that, when you're involved, I don't know about you, but for me losing to a bunch of inferiors isn't my idea of fun.

Do all to win (within the rules and what is generally accepted in the sport outside the rules), and if you done that it's not bad if you lose. And I always chose the sports I enjoyed, of course.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I was raised in one, mostly.. but I believe in 2. I am a very very competitive person, always play to win. If one person on the team slacks off, then it just puts me in a bad mood and I perform poorly. Then you just cant have fun.

I'm all for 1, especially because I quit the only sport I've ever played (football, or soccer as the Americans would call it) because my teammates bullied me for not being good at it. Who cares that I wasn't good at it, I just wanted to have fun and do something physical? We were the team with the worst players of our age at our club, so I really don't see why they tried so hard, it'd never be much anyway.

They apparently never got the idea of things being 'fun', they just wanted to win. The stupid thing was that we never did win, as most of the people on the team were barely better than I was.

So... right now I play chess, in 4 against 4 teams. That's quite competitive, but I hate the fact that the guy who plays second board in my team keeps trying to get him and me on a higher board. We've done the best in our team (score-wise), so now he's arguing we should be placed higher. This is (a) against the rules (you can't change the board order after the first match), (B) it's annoying because said teammate is so full of himself and his arrogance is making me look bad (I don't want to be placed higher), and © I'm fine with playing 4th board, because it means I get easier opponents, which means I win, even though winning isn't everything :P

well i spose ill say number 2. i dont realy get any pressure to win but genrally i like to do well in things i do while i have a great time. eg- rugby season our team came second but had so many punch ons and stirred up basically the whole division and lots of refs aswell.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted:

el patto

When I was younger, it was all about having fun or whatever - my parents encouraged me to play but they wouldn't be annoyed if I lost. My Dad was pretty big into sports though so it was obvious that they wanted me to do well.

However, as I got more and more involved in my sports, I put work into them because I expect something out of them. I hate losing. I run track and play soccer both at university now and winning IS what matters. It's VERY serious but I like it like that. We also have a ton of fun along the way and throughout the season too. I love my sports and can't imagine anyone who loves there sport a ton that wouldn't care about losing.