Exclusive Content

stonewall337

Tl;dr: Constructive criticism towards the author is better and more effective than continuous arguments about the same thing amongst the fanboys.

[hide]Okay, so you don't want to discuss the lack of updates beyond 80.

So, let's talk about how many different looking rune armours we have the game.

Keep in mind thats a level 40 item and the number of level 80 armour we have.

Rune Armour

Rune Trimmed

Rune Gold Trimmed

Rune Solid Gold

Rune with Guthix Trim

Rune with Saradomin Trim

Rune with Zamorack Trim

Rune with Zaros Trim

Rune with Bandos Trim

Rune with Armadyl Trim

Rock Shell

Rune Heraldic Set1

Rune Heraldic Set2

Rune Heraldic Set3

Rune Heradic Set4

Rune Heraldic Set5

Sacred Clay Armour

Castlewars Profound

Only sacred clay and castlewars profound do anything special.

Everything has the same stats.[/hide]

And, oddly enough, only sacred clay, rockshell, heraldic helms, and castlewars profound look different aside from a little bit of Palette Swapping. So... not sure what your point is here besides that Jagex has been doinitrong when proportioning unique items for low levels and those for high levels.

I am pretty sure that is what he is getting at. I mean, we do have 15 different sets of ranger armor for levels 1-70, and nothing after 70 besides morrigans. And all of the best normal armor in the game requires defense level 70 and under. And the best weapons in the game are at level 80 attack, and even so, the whip is still 3rd best, and best non-degradable. So why is it that 19 levels of attack and strength have no good weapons, and 24 levels or more of defense unlock no more armor?

Because Jagex has been doinitrong.

My question is: why are we all arguing about it almost continually on a fansite board instead of taking our arguments to those who could actually change it?

A picture is worth one thousand words. Jagex's feelings towards all the people who want things changed about the game can be seen below. However nice of a poster you are, that icon indicates the type of people posting in that certain place. The RSOF is hazardous to your health if taken in larger then miniscule quantities. And the icon also demonstrates exactly how much Jagex actually listens.

[hide]

I think this is Jagex saying F U to all the update haters. Or they're just tired of the whining

futureupdates.png

[/hide]

pere_grin.png

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still consider Corp to be a good boss, even if it can be soloed. Even the most elite of players can die if they mess up (and even if they don't mess up), it drops some of the best items in the game, and it promotes teamwork. Soloing it is not an effective way to make money or do anything worthwhile other than for the purpose of having fun, unlike every other boss monster.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

It's not like they're done with the game. It's not like they'll NEVER add new content, you'll just have to wait. You know who have waited even longer than you and the rest of elitist boss hunters? People who enjoy smithing! That skill has basically remained the SAME since the beginning of time. But hey, I don't see them creating topics all over Gen. Discussion complaining about how there isn't an update to smithing. I know there are rumors going around about a big uphaul, and that's long overdue. Then take a look at all the content you've gotten during that time. GWD, Corp, TDs, frosties, all these great moneymakers (esp the last 2) so you can buy those top class equipment. What more could you want?

You seem to be under the impression that when I say high level, I mean combat.

While I think we could use some new bosses, as the ones we have are pretty stale, that's hardly pressing compared to the plight of skills. I'm a STRONG advocate of updates to skills, especially smithing, crafting, construction, runecrafting, thieving, agility, etc. All those skills that have no appreciable reason to go beyond the 70s or so besides extremely minor advantages or minigame rewards (cough dungeoneering cough). Every single skill needs to be like herblore is now- train to high levels and get very helpful untradable rewards. I would love, for example, some sort of smithing update that lets us improve upon existing armors (think (or) kits but with stat bonuses and done with the smithing skill and some raw materials rather than a kit).

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

It's not like they're done with the game. It's not like they'll NEVER add new content, you'll just have to wait. You know who have waited even longer than you and the rest of elitist boss hunters? People who enjoy smithing! That skill has basically remained the SAME since the beginning of time. But hey, I don't see them creating topics all over Gen. Discussion complaining about how there isn't an update to smithing. I know there are rumors going around about a big uphaul, and that's long overdue. Then take a look at all the content you've gotten during that time. GWD, Corp, TDs, frosties, all these great moneymakers (esp the last 2) so you can buy those top class equipment. What more could you want?

While I think we could use some new bosses, as the ones we have are pretty stale, that's hardly pressing compared to the plight of skills. I'm a STRONG advocate of updates to skills, especially smithing, crafting, construction, runecrafting, thieving, agility, etc. All those skills that have no appreciable reason to go beyond the 70s or so besides extremely minor advantages or minigame rewards (cough dungeoneering cough). Every single skill needs to be like herblore is now- train to high levels and get very helpful untradable rewards. I would love, for example, some sort of smithing update that lets us improve upon existing armors (think (or) kits but with stat bonuses and done with the smithing skill and some raw materials rather than a kit).

Well I get the impression from what I read, and most topics start with needing new bosses/equipment, etc.

But I find it funny how you guys believe Jagex has no plans for high level updates. Do you seriously think Jagex will just fill content from 1-70 and leave 71-99 blank? I doubt it tbh. Even if they did, I wouldn't have a problem, because I'd still have access to it. This leads me to think you guys want exclusive content to boost your E-gos. If you want that, then buy a phat and a christmas cracker.

Staurolite.png

But I find it funny how you guys believe Jagex has no plans for high level updates. Do you seriously think Jagex will just fill content from 1-70 and leave 71-99 blank? I doubt it tbh. Even if they did, I wouldn't have a problem, because I'd still have access to it. This leads me to think you guys want exclusive content to boost your E-gos. If you want that, then buy a phat and a christmas cracker.

can you quote someone who said that? i looked back through the thread and couldn't find anyone saying that.

i thought this topic was: "why is there so much hatred towards exclusive content", not "OMFG MORE EXCLUSIVE CONTENT NAO"

But I find it funny how you guys believe Jagex has no plans for high level updates. Do you seriously think Jagex will just fill content from 1-70 and leave 71-99 blank?

When are these plans coming to fruition? Idealism is nice, but it doesn't help me or anyone else.

This leads me to think you guys want exclusive content to boost your E-gos. If you want that, then buy a phat and a christmas cracker.

We want exclusive content because we have an infinitesimal amount compared to low/mid-levels. I don't understand how you do not get that. What do party hats and crackers have to do with giving high-level players content?

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Every single skill needs to be like herblore is now- train to high levels and get very helpful untradable rewards.

Let's face it. We only consider the untradable herblore potions "useful" because of its bearing on combat.

Every future skill update - like it or not - will be judged in its so called "usefulness" based on its relation to combat, because combat skills are the only set of skills deemed inherently useful.

Most people in this thread consider the inferno adze to be useless because it has no bearing on combat. People consider barehanding sharks to be useless because it doesn't affect combat. The requirements to wield an adze or to barehand sharks are high in their own right.

What if, instead of extremes and overload, Jagex released untradable skilling boost potions? Yeah, no one would consider that useful.

So when players see updates to noncombat skills like smithing, crafting, construction, runecrafting, thieving, and agility, they invariably look for how it benefits their combat experience, either indirectly or directly.

Personally, I don't agree with this paradigm. Skilling for the sake of skilling seems to be a lost concept nowadays. But that's how it is.

Every single skill needs to be like herblore is now- train to high levels and get very helpful untradable rewards.

Let's face it. We only consider the untradable herblore potions "useful" because of its bearing on combat.

Every future skill update - like it or not - will be judged in its so called "usefulness" based on its relation to combat, because combat skills are the only set of skills deemed inherently useful.

Most people in this thread consider the inferno adze to be useless because it has no bearing on combat. People consider barehanding sharks to be useless because it doesn't affect combat. The requirements to wield an adze or to barehand sharks are high in their own right.

What if, instead of extremes and overload, Jagex released untradable skilling boost potions? Yeah, no one would consider that useful.

So when players see updates to noncombat skills like smithing, crafting, construction, runecrafting, thieving, and agility, they invariably look for how it benefits their combat experience, either indirectly or directly.

Personally, I don't agree with this paradigm. Skilling for the sake of skilling seems to be a lost concept nowadays. But that's how it is.

Combat is the measuring stick against usefulness because combat is the only decent moneymaker. If a high level skilling update came out that managed to be comparable to, say, frost dragons for cash/hour, that'd be great too. I'm not picky. One way or another, we need to see skills affecting GP gain, be that indirectly through influencing combat or directly by being the new double crafting natures.

The requisite is usefulness. Untradable skilling boosts would be inherently useless in most cases because they'd just give us new ways to reach the requirements for abilities we can't use for anything of appreciable value.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Combat is the measuring stick against usefulness because combat is the only decent moneymaker. If a high level skilling update came out that managed to be comparable to, say, frost dragons for cash/hour, that'd be great too. I'm not picky. One way or another, we need to see skills affecting GP gain, be that indirectly through influencing combat or directly by being the new double crafting natures.

The requisite is usefulness. Untradable skilling boosts would be inherently useless in most cases because they'd just give us new ways to reach the requirements for abilities we can't use for anything of appreciable value.

I would say thats because the best money per hour comes from combat, with the exception of merchanting, solo Td's, solo Arma the list goes on.

Skilling ( to my knowledge) for most skills can barley earn you more than 900k an hour.

Imo, the only eh....how should I put this....interesting, maybe? Non-combat skill or non-combat related skill (a lot of DG is combat) is construction. It's actually one of my fave skills, just sucks up money too fast for me to train often lol.

Face it though, the game was designed around combat. Smithing - make better armour. Mining - ores to make better armour. Crafting - better ranged armour. Herblore - potions to aid combat. Fishing - food for combat. Farming - useful for cooking, herblore, which aids in combat. Hunting - chins, combat, salamanders are a weapon, grenwall spikes used for potions.....

The only high-level boss is Corp, and even that can be soloed.

Depends on your definition of high level. Although, Jagex DOES need to make a boss scaled to 138s with overloads, soul split and chaotic longswords. Yes, longswords. Because longswords have higher accuracy and str then rapiers so its DPS is higher, and can be used with a shield because you need extra defense.

No? You disagree?

We need a boss to make that longsword and shield stuff true, besides maybe solo'ing a GW boss with a Divine. Tbh, it's quite a pity all these Dunge bosses are stuck in Dunge. I think Jagex should have a couple "escape" from Dunge, you have to go through one of those resource doors to get through it. (A new one obviously.)

Or just make a new damn boss >.<

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Well, my question was answered. And I was reminded that Jagex has some pretty durn bad customer service when it comes to suggestions. My apologies for forgetting that.

But, since supposedly posting here is just as effective as posting on the RSOF, why don't we try to come up with some solutions to the problem instead of arguing about whether or not it ought be solved? I, personally, think they should start with runecrafting - maybe more variants on the FoG gloves for higher-leveled runes, and some special armor that increases RC XP at the cost of crafting less runes (and vice versa). Would make RC training a bit more diverse, with the farther you go, the faster/more profitable it gets.

(And my apologies if it seems like I'm derailing the topic, I'm just trying to expand it beyond the stuff I've already heard 300 times.)

a70c7.png

Well, my question was answered. And I was reminded that Jagex has some pretty durn bad customer service when it comes to suggestions. My apologies for forgetting that.

But, since supposedly posting here is just as effective as posting on the RSOF, why don't we try to come up with some solutions to the problem instead of arguing about whether or not it ought be solved? I, personally, think they should start with runecrafting - maybe more variants on the FoG gloves for higher-leveled runes, and some special armor that increases RC XP at the cost of crafting less runes (and vice versa). Would make RC training a bit more diverse, with the farther you go, the faster/more profitable it gets.

(And my apologies if it seems like I'm derailing the topic, I'm just trying to expand it beyond the stuff I've already heard 300 times.)

How about you make a thread about possible high level content expansions (which is a really interesting topic), and this thread can go back to being about why some selfish noobs rage when they can't do every single update that comes out on day 1?

How about you make a thread about possible high level content expansions (which is a really interesting topic), and this thread can go back to being about why some selfish noobs rage when they can't do every single update that comes out on day 1?

Main problem with that would be that it would most likely be instamoved to the Suggestions forum, which is one of the places that threads go to die slowly and painfully.

So I guess I'll stick around here and try to make this crap that keeps coming up a little more interesting. :thumbup:

a70c7.png

Depends on your definition of high level. Although, Jagex DOES need to make a boss scaled to 138s with overloads, soul split and chaotic longswords. Yes, longswords. Because longswords have higher accuracy and str then rapiers so its DPS is higher, and can be used with a shield because you need extra defense.

No? You disagree?

We need a boss to make that longsword and shield stuff true, besides maybe solo'ing a GW boss with a Divine. Tbh, it's quite a pity all these Dunge bosses are stuck in Dunge. I think Jagex should have a couple "escape" from Dunge, you have to go through one of those resource doors to get through it. (A new one obviously.)

Or just make a new damn boss >.<

Umm, you said DPS and CLS in the same sentance. Perhaps you don't know what DPS stands for.

DPS = Damage Per Second

Because the DPS is time dependant, you must account for the weapon speed. The rapier has higher DPS then the longsword, simply because it hits faster, even if has slightly weaker stats then the longsword. If you talk strictly about damage, without the time dependancy, then yes, the CLS hits higher. The thing is, excluding time means that you are only accounting for one hit of the rapier, and one hit of the CLS. And then, the maul would win anyways, because it has higher accuracy and strength then the CLS.

It is only with a shield, against high defense bosses such as GWD, where the CLS is better then the rapier. You seem to allude to this in your second statement about making the CLS and shield stuff true. But as it stands, the CLS has less DPS then the Rapier for almost all situations.

Jagex might change this at some point, but it is doubtful. Ever since Rs2 came out, the entire combat system of this game has been geared toward the faster weapons with lower power. Not something ridiculous like daggers, but scimitars have higher DPS then longswords, Whips have higher DPS then godswords, the MSB has higher DPS then the Dark bow. The Rapier has higher DPS then the CLS.

Back before Rs2, everything was the same speed, and everyone used rune 2hs to fight with, because they hit the highest. This is not true anymore, because the game now incorporates speed into weapons, giving the advantage to faster weapons.

It is possible to adjust the weapon stats in order to see which one is actually better if they were the same speed. Simply multiply each weapon stat by the ratio of weapon speed:weapon speed. For example, a scimitar hits 5 times for every 4 hits a longsword does, so the ratio of scimitar speed:longsword speed is 5/4. Multiply the scimitar stats by 5/4, and it will give you the stats a scimitar would have if it was the same speed as a longsword.

I would like some new bosses though. That would be fun.

pere_grin.png

Many people play the game for a vast variety of different reasons. Stonewall, you have even argued that fact with me in depth in the past so you should know that. Many players such as yourself will play to reach goals which elite updates enable you to do. However, there are also those who play for fun on the go, which lower level updates please. There are then many players with reasons in between, and many with reasons outside who don't care about updates at all. This forum has a large percentage of higher level players which does give the look that a majority of RS players want elite updates, but I would argue the opposite and that more want a casual game they can log into for a few hours a week. Neither group are better or more deserving than the other.

By now, Jagex have realised that higher level players are much less likely to quit and get bored than lower level players. Jagex have done updates which changed the game drastically for many higher level players but they have stayed with the game. Because of this, they know that they do not need to make as many updates for them to keep making money. Jagex will and do focus on lower level content to get new players and new money.

I agree. But still, no one has given a good argument for WHY exclusive, or even high level content is bad. Yes, more lower-mid level players can access content, so that is what is developed. But there is a lack of very high level content, which is my point. Why do people think they DESERVE to be able to play all content? I wish there were some content with meaning which I couldn't access. I wish there were 110 dungeneoneering armor, etc.

So again, why is it bad that you can't access content? Why should the questpoint cape only require ~70 level skills to get?

I do remember being a noob. (For me, noob is not an insult by any means, its just a description. ) I wish Gio could get his special content for having 99 agility. (Cape doesn't count, its mainly aesthetic) Heck, I wouldn't mind if dragon defender required 80+ all stats to get!

I don't mind low to mid level content. FOG is fun, at times. But I'm asking 2 things:

1.) Why the dislike for high level or exclusive content

2.) Why isn't there any?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Well as I guess I'm one of the rumored "3-5%" of the game's high-leveled players, I suppose I'll add my input.

I have to say, Stonewall's opening post really took a lot of the words out of my mouth, or keyboard rather.

If I train skills, it's because I have a goal. Let me use fishing as an example. Before the release of rocktail/cavefish, I had no intentions of getting higher than 80 fishing. I was content with 80 fishing, because that allowed me to reach a longtime goal of mine, having all 80 stats for Stealing Creation, and later on after a few levels in other stats, all 80+ skills. The release of rocktail/cavefish made me motivated to fish a little bit, but not to the point I really wanted to level it, because honestly, I can't stand fishing.

With the release of the elite diaries, my goals have changed drastically. I'm the type of person that likes to have all quests completed, all diaries completed, all songs unlocked, etc. I like to "finish the game," to explain in a more understandable sense.

Since I need a minimum of 91 fishing for all of the elite diaries (Admiral pie/Spicy stew to 96 for Relleka fishing task), this has changed the way I look at fishing. Now I have motivation to train fishing. I bought about 10k feathers, 100 Admiral pies, and even got a fishing brawler drop. I went out of my way because of this newfound motivation (besides the brawlers, those were kinda luck).

THIS is why high level content is good for the game. THIS is why I find the game "challenging," because the goals rarely stay the same, with the exception of the main broad goal of "finish the game."

And IMO, I think this is why a lot of low level players complain about high level content. Once again, purely IMO, but I think they feel they haven't completed the already available content, so when new high level content is released, they whine because they can't do it.

As stated sooooo many times before on this thread alone, if you don't like it, tough. Quit, don't play the new content, or get the skills to participate in the new content.

On a side note, I reached level 83 fishing today. :thumbsup:

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

@ Racheya, I APPLAUD you for ONCE AGAIN 100% MISSING THE POINT!

I didn't say we need more high level content as the only point I'm making. I'm asking why people HATE IT SO MUCH. As such, your whole argument is MOOT.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

I'm going to try answering why we don't see as much high level content as we would like. It will probably be a very unpopular position, but oh well.

From our perspective as players, high level content is very desirable.

From the perspective of Jagex as a for-profit company, high level content is financially risky and needs to be tempered with low level content, with weight given to the latter.

Sometimes it's easy to take for granted the work it takes for updates to come about. They don't appear out of thin air just because Jagex wills it. It's not as simple as "suggest it and it will happen."

If you have any knowledge of computer science or programming in general, you may appreciate this more.

Daemonheim wasn't "always" there. Some Fremenniks discovered those dungeons, we're told. That's just a convenient cover-up of course - Daemonheim had to be coded and compiled just like any update.

And developers costs a lot of money.

The Warped Floors are as exclusive of an update as you can get. Only what, 4000 can access that content. I severely doubt Jagex recouped the development costs of the warped floors from those 4000.

But hey, that's a plus for Jagex. Kudos to them for undertaking something that is both costly and exclusive.

We're members; we pay the subscription fee. We should have a say, right?

We do, but I'm afraid to say that high level players just don't have as much clout as mid/low leveled players.

Think about what caused you to shift from F2P to P2P (I doubt anyone jumped right into P2P)

Did you want access to something you could get immediately in P2P, or did you want access to something to work for?

Didn't you fork over that money to access new content immediately?

Personally, I wanted black dragonhide armor. I gave no thought to content that was still out of my reach.

I didn't say we need more high level content as the only point I'm making. I'm asking why people HATE IT SO MUCH. As such, your whole argument is MOOT.

Racheya hasn't posted in the last 2 pages...this feels extremely random. :unsure:

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Racheya hasn't posted in the last 2 pages...this feels extremely random. :unsure:

It was to her post on page 3. I can't be on TIF 24/7.

I'm not saying we need more high level content people, I'm asking why do some people hate it so much?

Stonewall337.png

You're right. Thank you for providing us with a single example of a piece of content that helps players of all levels. =D>

Oh comon, quests have great rewards used by high level players, few of which are your definition of high level quests.

Ancient magicks, ancient curses, spirit shields (requires quest to weild), magic secateurs, neumerous teleports (like ectophial), things that help for dailys like hand in sand and RFD chest, RFD gloves, MTK, Jade vine, Penguins & Polar bears.

The list goes on.

I don't think people are detesting that there isn't enough useful content, rather that it would be good to have more exclusive content for those that are more experienced in the game. Also, exclusive content really isn't about purposely rejecting a group of people from gaining access to specific content, rather making people work for different levels of goals(consider working for piety vs. turmoil, dragon slayer vs. WGS). Right not, most of the achievements in this game are for the average player with very few examples of really exclusive content for the tip of the pyramid(which any player can and will reach given enough time), meaning alot of top players will eventually quit due to a lack of interesting content. I've already quit atleast 5 times because of this(and came back when jagex actually released something interesting).

So you want content that is exclusive to you.

I kinda get that, but there is content that is exclusive to high levels. Turmoil, overloads, spirit shields, etc.

No there aren't high level quests dedicated to you, but thats because there isnt enough of you to dedicate a whole quest to when jagex could just as easily lower the requirements and make it encompass a wider group of players.

O.O

Kurity, it wouldn't be for only XPX, it would be for others who are maxed combat or skills etc.

Stonewall337.png

It was to her post on page 3. I can't be on TIF 24/7.

I'm not saying we need more high level content people, I'm asking why do some people hate it so much?

Didn't say you had to be :P, just felt random (maybe quote it if it's a few pages back)

Anyways, my opinion is this...

Jealousy....yea...that's about it. People get jealous when they can't do something, so they resort in attempting to say why it's useless and start flaming the ones who actually can do it.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png