A Time for Glory Planning Thread

jasignhagj

The province system does have numerous advantages over GDP and IAG...It allows for clear borders to be established, rather than vague lines, it allows for wars to be for something of value, rather than just territory...

But there will be flaws...and discovering them will be accidental and person X will gain a major advantage over everyone else by knowing the flaws...

Like Teching, happening across the right tech is often accidental...or incidental...and then person X marches off with a huge advantage.

They are part of hegemony, to some degree...but in the current atomsphere, a game where there wasn't a secret formula to success, without arguments about game mechanics, would be nice.

Which is all myself and Rocco are saying...we are not personally attacking your system :thumbup:

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone here has GIMP and knows how to use the color replace tool, could you please take the map and replace every color (except the ocean and black) with pure green (255G, 0B, 0R). I've been trying to do it one click at a time, but my hand is about to fall off.

@Archi - I didn't mean to sound defensive, I agree both systems have flaws, that's why I'm trying to create a system that works well without being a nightmare to manage.

Isn't GIMP free?

I'll do it.

s1ddS.png

There you go.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

My only problem at this point is "slow secret research."

That's reasonable for top secret hushedy-hush stuff, but I think we should also be allowed research that isn't announced on the forum but is easy to find out. Like, every turn there is a percent chance that neighboring countries will hear about it from travelling individuals who decide to chat about a not-really-secret government program.

Basically, different levels of secrecy would be good.

Anyways, I think I'll reserve Switzerland, pending further investigation of that map.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

It's world war one or around that time period.

The only divide is between top secret and everyone knows. I mean, the level of secrecy needed to keep a project out of the common knowledge is pretty big. It also makes sense that it would take slower, because you'd have to screen the researchers and force them to stay in the compound (to keep em from sharing secrets). Then you'd have a small pool of researchers that would be trusted because you couldn't rely on the private spheres (like pharmaceutical or chemical companies for instance) to help you out.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Eh, I'll call New Iberia. Might switch back once I see the values of the provinces.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I think research should be done on a 'I build a research compound at such and such a location' or 'An area of such and such province is designated a miltary testing range'...on thread.

Then pming the actual research information to the mod.

If people want to send spies to investigate such and such a location then there is a chance of failure, capture or inflitration.

Once inflitrated there is the option to become a sleeper (with a low chance of discovery, informs of new research, but no specifics), an informant (Moderate chance of discovery, but PARTS of research data are passed back to their home country until they are caught) or Smash and Grab (Moderate chance of discovery, but all the research carried out at that base is stolen. Afterwards there is a high chance of their cover being blown, with a moderate chance of everyone finding out who sent them.)

Whereas, if the player wants to go totally under the radar they can just pm the research information to the mod, but there is a chance of it accidently getting discovered by everyone.

I mean, the level of secrecy needed to keep a project out of the common knowledge is pretty big.

:blink:

The Atom Bomb...The Computer...Tanks...Mustard Gas...They were not common knowladge before they were used, anyone who knew anything about them didn't wander into the enemy embassy with a briefcase full of documents and hand them over...

This is a time of war, and ultimate loyalty to your Monarch, and 'Loose Lips Sink Ships'...Unless you have Hans Von Sellout and Vladimir Dmitri Bigmouthski on your British research team the information should stay relatively secretive.

I mean...Its like saying the Enigma codes were common knowledge because soliders could send letters home and one of them could be a British agent or married to a British agent, or live next to a British Agent...or their children could be British Agents in disguise.

In the first place a researcher is not likely to go out and recount, in exacting detail, what they did that day at work, and letters would be censored.

In the second place the person, who they wouldn't tell their exact day to, wouldn't keep precise notes of what was said, unless they happened to be an agent, and even then, a blue print of a tank is hard to vocalise and memorise...

And, unless you happen to be Britain hiring people from Communist Infested Cambridge, the researchers you hire are unlikely to be enemy agents.

And given that the recipe for KFC is not common knowladge, I think it is relatively safe to say that the recipe for a Tank would not be common knowladge either.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Game officially starts at the latest 12pm tonight. I had some xmas shopping to do, so I couldn't get it all ready this morning. Ill take your research suggestions into consideration, I like the idea of an area where research takes place, and a small chance of it being discovered.

For those of you waiting for the land value map, it really isn't that complex. I changed it to only 3 levels for simplicity. All of Europe except north Scandinavia is green, so is most of North America.

United States of America please :).

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Japan

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Grim, I thought you were going to be Austro-Hungary?

I can't make anymore French jokes if you're playing as France. :(

I was, but I'm trying to keep the game mildly balanced (as to who is on which side of each alliance). That and France has more colonies which will prove... useful for certain plans that I have.

LNYvk.png

New Iberia. What's that green bit on the edge, and does the U.K. really have land by Gibraltar?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

What are troop costs and such?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I shall be The Australian Union.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

There is no Portugal. :blink:

Anyways... this is going to be interesting.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Can money improve industrialisation? Or is it limited to research?

It's a REALLY big shaft.