Capital in F2P is useless?

amitoz

Hello all, after a long retirement of these forums I am back. I've been playing since the dawn of RS2.

Anyways, I made a pure, being F2P on a max combat isn't much fun, and I've always been an advocate of pures. My main started off as a pure as well. Anyways, being F2P and quite the resourceful felllow, I obtained a lot of wealth over the short period of my pure's life. The Bank worth of said aforementioned pure is about 9m.

Now to the question:

What use is money in F2p, other than buying PK supplies, and merchanting? Of course there is this new Gravite shananigan recharge going on, all for the better in my eyes which requires recharge rates (Good Job Jagex at finally a new money drain that ACTUALLY works); but what is money really used for in F2p, especially on a pure?

To me, 5m is essentially 50m, with obvious minute implications, but the same in juxtaposition.

Discuss?

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try training prayer, or to less extents, crafting and smithing.

But you're right, other than that, not much purpose. If you plan on getting members, then you're going to want a lot of cash saved up.

I think prayer, smithing, firemaking, cooking etc. are all faster with a lot of money. That being said, if you don't need the levels (and f2p has virtually no content at high levels anyway), then yes, money is not neccesary. But you can always use corrupt dragon for everything :P.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I think prayer, smithing, firemaking, cooking etc. are all faster with a lot of money. That being said, if you don't need the levels (and f2p has virtually no content at high levels anyway), then yes, money is not neccesary. But you can always use corrupt dragon for everything :P.

Corrupt dragon is like a Glass cannon... That's too impractical for use, even pking. Gravite make's it better in my eyes.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

buying rares

I suppose, but that's not a very broad market affecting every player in F2p now is it, apart from the inflation caused by rares.

Amitoz.png

Besides buying skills money on f2p is basically worthless.

300k will buy basically all the armor, weapons, food, and gear you will use to train all of the 'unbuyable skills'

Money can also be a goal in its self, "I wonder if I can make X money"

What use is money in P2P? It may have more things to do, but they are all to the same end goals of having more money or higher skills.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

What use is money in P2P? It may have more things to do, but they are all to the same end goals of having more money or higher skills.

Skills over 50 that actually matter.

Amitoz.png

buying rares

I suppose, but that's not a very broad market affecting every player in F2p now is it, apart from the inflation caused by rares.

the demand exists whether or not the player has the gp to purchase the item.

also rares do not cause inflation. they are simply more reactive to changes in price levels than other items, such as yew logs.

buying rares

also rares do not cause inflation. they are simply more reactive to changes in price levels than other items, such as yew logs.

Rares cause inflation; more so than any other item. Their demand determines their price, they have no value otherwise. Please refrain from arguing this point any further.

300k will buy basically all the armor, weapons, food, and gear you will use to train all of the 'unbuyable skills'

Yes, as stated before and with my concurence, I myself think that there is no real incentive to obtain wealth over 5m in F2p.

Edited by tripsis
Please don't double post :)

Amitoz.png

Corrupt dragon is like a Glass cannon... That's too impractical for use, even pking. Gravite make's it better in my eyes.

It has its uses in PvP clan fights where dungeoneering items are impractical to lose when you'll die 3+ times in a single run-in. Or if you make money faster than you earn tokens in f2p. But you're right that for you specifically, it has no use.

hzvjpwS.gif

Rares cause inflation; more so than any other item. Their demand determines their price, they have no value otherwise. Please refrain from arguing this point any further.

this is so horribly wrong. you are just stringing together a bunch of phrases and concepts you probably heard tossed around by other pseudointellectuals to attempt to sound informed. what you are saying is comparable to saying (about RL economics) "high gold prices cause recessions". i'm not going to drop this because it is relevant and you are flagrantly spreading misinformation.

It has its uses in PvP clan fights where dungeoneering items are impractical to lose when you'll die 3+ times in a single run-in. Or if you make money faster than you earn tokens in f2p. But you're right that for you specifically, it has no use.

Yes, corrupt has a very specific role in the F2p society, and is very situational, as you mentioned.

Amitoz.png

nothing actualy matters

why do you need 99 smithing? you dont... to make rune plates... id rather save all th effort of getting 99 smith when people sell it

cooking.... buy the food

everything is buyable

nothing is needed in rs its just a set goal for people to acheive

same in ftp

you dont need 99 cooking in ftp

like you dont need higher crafting than 90 in p2p but you they still do it for the same reasons of ability to do it

tenebri.png

nothing actualy matters

why do you need 99 smithing? you dont... to make rune plates... id rather save all th effort of getting 99 smith when people sell it

cooking.... buy the food

everything is buyable

nothing is needed in rs its just a set goal for people to acheive

same in ftp

you dont need 99 cooking in ftp

like you dont need higher crafting than 90 in p2p but you they still do it for the same reasons of ability to do it

Yes, but I'm just saying, the level caps in F2P are much quicker to come than P2p; thus making excess capital useless that much quicker.

Amitoz.png

buying rares

Yes, as stated before and with my concurence, I myself think that there is no real incentive to obtain wealth over 5m in F2p.

Golly Gosh, rares cause inflation? Clicky

"The painting was first bought by John Hay Whitney in 1950 for US$30,000.

On May 5, 2004 the painting was sold for US$104,168,000 at Sotheby's auction in New York City."

Gee, i had no idea the American economy had inflated to roughly 3500 times what it was in the 50's. ;)

Rares don't cause inflation, they just show how much money the rich have lying around to spend on stuff that's essentially useless, with no inherent value. (That's not a stab at art, I'm talking purely about rare items within runescape)

if you're going to start a discussion that involves economics then why use the word capital as a synonym for money? to sound smarter?

Why not?

Amitoz.png

because capital and money (or wealth, which is what the correct term is in the context of the titular question) have two (three) very different meanings.

it doesn't make you sound smarter when you misuse the terms :thumbup:

because capital and money (or wealth, which is what the correct term is in the context of the titular question) have two (three) very different meanings.

it doesn't make you sound smarter when you misuse the terms :thumbup:

So by your understanding I can't use the words "ass", "bang", "beater", "bin", "biscuit", "block"... amongst many others?

Wealth is also a ring of wealth by your standards...

OffTOPIK naemmee Herp-da-derrppp... STOP TROLLING TROLL. :thumbup:

Good day. :)

Amitoz.png

except top tier P2P gear is a LOT of money, as is all the skills you would need to buy.

while F2P you essentially are done with rune, and the 1% of players that look to get 99's in f2p in skills like smithing or prayer might need money at that point but everyone else is set.

Exactly.. Essentially even 1m and you're pretty high up in how much capital you actually need to survive F2p. It isn't even used for anything other than buyable skills.

Amitoz.png

Its useless.

Im currently F2p on pure sir kurity right now. At a current worth of 60 million im below the threshold for rares but far above the threshold for any other item. Unless i wanna be a complete [bleep] and pk in full wizard (g) just for the lols theres really nothing i can do.

Luckily, wasting over 50 r2h's in a matter of weeks keeps me occupied.

O.O

Isn't having lots of cash in f2p a good thing? Preparation for members, money to use on buyables, as well as PvP?

It's not useless in any way. If anything it would be MORE useful seeing how much more expensive certain skills in f2p are compared to the p2p counterparts.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention