Smithing is ridiculous

Miner_Guy

Hey, i am f2p and my smithing lvl is 54, i was looking into getting it to 70 as that is i lvl i really want 70 smithing as it is highly respected lvl and is profitable. I look into and found i need 9k bars which would then be smithed into steel platebodies, so that is 18k coal and 9k iron, i can probably mine the iron but 18k of coal costs 4mill and a bit, i can mine 5k which will shave off a million but 3 mill is still an incredible amount of money in f2p just for 500k of exp, thats seem ridiculous to me that 500k of exp costs 3mil. There's no way i can mine 18k coal as i dont play it enough and it would be very boring, i have 7mill to spare, but i dont really want to spend half of it on 500k of exp. No other skill is like that, crafting costs 3x less, runecrafting ok that takes ages, but thats profitable and its mainly members skill, whereas most of smithing is f2p so why is it so expensive?

SUPER.gif

This may sound stupid but i really dont get you, surely for superheat you need nature runes and you are saying that that is less expensive then smelting in the furnace which is free?

Sometimes, even with nature runes added in, the bar will still sell for more than ores+nature rune. And that way, you don't have to waste time running between a furnace and a bank.

AND you get magic exp! woop de da!

Staurolite.png

This may sound stupid but i really dont get you, surely for superheat you need nature runes and you are saying that that is less expensive then smelting in the furnace which is free?

Sometimes, even with nature runes added in, the bar will still sell for more than ores+nature rune. And that way, you don't have to waste time running between a furnace and a bank.

AND you get magic exp! woop de da!

Ye, but smelting your way to 70 will take an eternity, im talking about smelting then smithing the bars in platebodies as that is the quickest way and im saying the price to get enough ores to smelt and then smith is ridiculous, im not talking about smelting into bars, im talking about going the whole way and smithing them as well

SUPER.gif

Well, I'm not going to look into the figures and exp rates, that's Grimy's job, but Superheating is probably the best way to train smithing in F2P, unless you've got a spare 20m or so. And even then, you might still want to superheat, so you can use that money towards better things.

And yeah, Magic exp.

omg you dont seem to understand, superheating isnt best exp in smithing, smithing plate bodies is, so can you stop going going on about superheating when it isnt best exp, trust me im f2p and i have done it. Also can you ssh with the go p2p because im not and will not in the forseeable future, its just annoying when people say go mem. It is actually quite expensive

SUPER.gif

First of all, superheat.

Second of all, lern2efficiency.

He's free to play. Most efficiency arguments go out the window considering the max income there is like...what, 600k per hr excluding flipping?

Edited by Racheya
Removed quote of removed post

hzvjpwS.gif

omg you dont seem to understand, superheating isnt best exp in smithing, smithing plate bodies is, so can you stop going going on about superheating when it isnt best exp, trust me im f2p and i have done it. Also can you ssh with the go p2p because im not and will not in the forseeable future, its just annoying when people say go mem. It is actually quite expensive

Most of us answering this thread are F2P as well. Our logic is, you *probably* can't make money fast enough to offset the cost of smithing platebodies. In which case superheating may be more cost-efficient.

I used to be pure f2p up till about...2-3 years ago (played since 01, so I've been f2p for... 6-7 years?). Anyway...

Before I got members, I had 67 ish smithing. Guess where that xp came from?

Smelting steel bars. Not superheating, smelting. Was it efficient? Probably not. Did it profit? Yes, it was how I got my first couple mill from. Did it take forever? Yes, it did. Maybe I'm just more patient than you are, but... meh.

Trying to be helpful instead of just spouting off how 'hard' I had it (lol :P), I pulled some figures off of Grimy Bunyip's smithing spreadsheet.

Smithing steel bars into platebodies (unknown if this is using a p2p smithing spot, but it should provide as an example, at least) is about 153,409xp/hr. It also costs 3,127,909gp/hr. Current values, btw.

Superheating mithril ore into bars is 26,400gp/hr, and 30,000xp/hr.

I suppose it really does depend on what your money making methods are and if you can afford it or not. Smithing is one of my favorite skills, so I see your reason for getting 70 :P

Alternatively to smithing steel plates, you could do iron plates - 102,273xp/hr at a cost of 1,107,000gp/hr. Two thirds of the experience at one third of the cost. Just putting that out there as a possibility.

If you wanted to poke through his spreadsheet and see if there's another possibility (it does include members methods as well, but I'm sure there are f2p methods as well), here's the link:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tYLj4VK6eDYMp9ZOJ-zbwyA&output=html

That all being said, be glad you're not in my position :P 28k adamant bars for 97-99 smithing for me, at a cost of 23 mill or so (1.8 mill xp I need). Just waiting on the bars to buy now.

I do hope you get your level, though.

Link_Olaran.png

I used to be pure f2p up till about...2-3 years ago (played since 01, so I've been f2p for... 6-7 years?). Anyway...

Before I got members, I had 67 ish smithing. Guess where that xp came from?

Smelting steel bars. Not superheating, smelting. Was it efficient? Probably not. Did it profit? Yes, it was how I got my first couple mill from. Did it take forever? Yes, it did. Maybe I'm just more patient than you are, but... meh.

Trying to be helpful instead of just spouting off how 'hard' I had it (lol :P), I pulled some figures off of Grimy Bunyip's smithing spreadsheet.

Smithing steel bars into platebodies (unknown if this is using a p2p smithing spot, but it should provide as an example, at least) is about 153,409xp/hr. It also costs 3,127,909gp/hr. Current values, btw.

Superheating mithril ore into bars is 26,400gp/hr, and 30,000xp/hr.

I suppose it really does depend on what your money making methods are and if you can afford it or not. Smithing is one of my favorite skills, so I see your reason for getting 70 :P

Alternatively to smithing steel plates, you could do iron plates - 102,273xp/hr at a cost of 1,107,000gp/hr. Two thirds of the experience at one third of the cost. Just putting that out there as a possibility.

If you wanted to poke through his spreadsheet and see if there's another possibility (it does include members methods as well, but I'm sure there are f2p methods as well), here's the link:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tYLj4VK6eDYMp9ZOJ-zbwyA&output=html

That all being said, be glad you're not in my position :P 28k adamant bars for 97-99 smithing for me, at a cost of 23 mill or so (1.8 mill xp I need). Just waiting on the bars to buy now.

I do hope you get your level, though.

When you talking about xp/hr for superheating mithril is that with the ores ready to smelt or you have to mine the ores? For people saying superheat, here are the figures to 70 form 54 i need to smelt 19k mith bars and 33k steel bars, thats virtually impossible, to get 19k of mith for one is impossible and then to get all the coal.... and for steel thats 64k coal which isnt excactly easy. So i dunno what you guys are on about do superheating because it is way longer and in the time spent doing it you could of got 70 smith by smithing bodies and then recouped some of the money. Anyway im ranting about how it costs 3 mill to get 500k of smithing exp

SUPER.gif

wait, why are you mining the ores? I thought you wanted to train smithing not mining...

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

When you talking about xp/hr for superheating mithril is that with the ores ready to smelt or you have to mine the ores? For people saying superheat, here are the figures to 70 form 54 i need to smelt 19k mith bars and 33k steel bars, thats virtually impossible, to get 19k of mith for one is impossible and then to get all the coal.... and for steel thats 64k coal which isnt excactly easy. So i dunno what you guys are on about do superheating because it is way longer and in the time spent doing it you could of got 70 smith by smithing bodies and then recouped some of the money. Anyway im ranting about how it costs 3 mill to get 500k of smithing exp

Why do you exactly need to have it all at once? You buy ores for 1k superheats -> finish -> sell. Repeat. Doing mithril I think the losses are so small, you could keep repeating this process as many times as you ever wish...

And smithing isn't ridiculous. Only a bit maybe. And this is coming from person who has smelted over 200k gold bars. :pray: 14,3m smithing exp. :lol:

And some skills in this game just are expensive. 500k prayer xp already is like 10m gp. Even more if you're f2per. About same for herblore etc.

u5zhkTY.gif

And it's costing me 23 (!) mill (extra mill or so for nats to alch the platebodies) for 1.8 mill xp for 97-99.

The figures I provided were for buying the ore and superheating it, yes. And about it taking longer, sure. But my problem is... you said yourself, you're f2p. In the time saved by making platebodies, can you actually make back that money?

I agree with your rant, though. Smithing is fairly expensive, but it doesn't hold a candle to prayer and herblore.

Hm... it is a matter of preference, which method you'd rather do. Superheating is the cheap/profit lengthy way, but it also takes a bit of focus since you're clicking all the time. Making platebodies is at least a bit easier on your hands, faster and a lot more expensive.

That being said, I'll take platebodies over anything else for my last 1.8 mill xp, because I want it done and over with, and I know I can easily recoup the money.

Basically, all we're doing is giving you alternative routes to do the same thing. It's your choice in the end :P I personally wasn't saying superheating was the preferable route, but an alternate one. Although, I personally would've thought you would've taken the route of doing iron platebodies over steel. It's not as fast, but it's quite a bit cheaper. I mentioned it (and the costs) in my last post.

Regardless, agree on your rant on it costing a lot (it used to be profitable back in the day), and I wish you luck in getting 70 smithing with whatever method you end up using.

EDIT: Lobby posted before I finished typing mine. What he says is true (except that superheating mithril is profitable instead of loss right now).

... And 200k gold bars? Jeez, I thought I was bad making 83k gold ammies from gold ore :P

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

Link is exactly right with the iron platebodies comment.

OP would be best off smithing iron bars -> plates and then playing some GOP and buying water tallies while using his cash pile to flip merch and do his F2P dailies/shop runs to recoup his losses.

Superheating is also a viable method if he wants magic exp, but he's made it completely clear in his rambling, incoherent rant that he does not have the abilities to perform basic mathematic operations, or comprehend simple shapes and objects called letters which are screaming out to him that he is acting like an arrogant fool and would be best off just not posting at all if he's not going to take the slightest measures to rectify his position.

I know it's Rants, but come on...

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

Link is exactly right with the iron platebodies comment.

OP would be best off smithing iron bars -> plates and then playing some GOP and buying water tallies while using his cash pile to flip merch and do his F2P dailies/shop runs to recoup his losses.

Superheating is also a viable method if he wants magic exp, but he's made it completely clear in his rambling, incoherent rant that he does not have the abilities to perform basic mathematic operations, or comprehend simple shapes and objects called letters which are screaming out to him that he is acting like an arrogant fool and would be best off just not posting at all if he's not going to take the slightest measures to rectify his position.

I know it's Rants, but come on...

Lol bit harsh.. considering you have never met me, found that i should recoup 1.5 mill from alching steel platebodies, which leaves me with a 1.7mill loss which i dont particuarly mind now. But seriously people syaing superheat, how do you mine 19k of mith? I would find that so boring, how do you do it?

SUPER.gif