Xmas Ipods

flamestrike

Well, Xmas has come around again and all of the new ipod owners are sitting at there computers right now converting cds and such to go on to there new ipods. I got mine loaded the songs and played around with it, after some greif and using the restart(center + menu hold down) about 7 times. my ipod is looking pretty good right now, but as for the ipod vets, can you explain these podcasts and such to some noobs like me?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Podcasts are just little "news" articles of sorts that anyone can put out or get. For example Engadgnet has there own series. Even Bill O'Reiley has his own. Or you could get Blink 182's podcast. Wat eva you fancy you can get.

My cousin and uncles (2) got iPods for Christmas. My cousin was loading songs onto it all day today.

The iPod-wanting is at an all-time high, but I still don't understand why. It still confuses me why people give iPods for Christmas, especially when Zen Micro costs less and holds more music :? (6gb for $180)

I guess their marketing is better.

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

iPods have always been a fad thing in my eyes. People tend to get them more because 'it's an iPod' then because it's the best on the market. There are players that are both cheaper and better then the iPod in terms of what they can do but time and time again people always choose having the fashion statement iPod over something practical, like the Zen Vision or Zen Micro.

I myself have never had a need for an MP3 player. My computer stores all my music and that is good enough for me.

kikoskiasigniture14ug.png

The Zen Vision:M looks a better bet than the Video iPod too. Seems as though it can handle different video codecs like wmv etc, instead of just h.264 and mpeg-4 like the iPod.

Zen Vision is just a copy of the Ipod. Though i give it props cause it puts in tools some people have been wanting on ipods (fm radio, voice recording). But its still bigger and more expensive then the ipod.

Ipod is a big hype because of its great looks and easy to use clickwheel/menu system. That and plus everyone has one and its easy to buy everywhere.

dangermouse01sy3.jpg

Visit my DeviantArt Page at http://vladmoney.deviantart.com

The Zen Vision:M looks a better bet than the Video iPod too. Seems as though it can handle different video codecs like wmv etc, instead of just h.264 and mpeg-4 like the iPod.

Zen Vision is just a copy of the Ipod. Though i give it props cause it puts in tools some people have been wanting on ipods (fm radio, voice recording). But its still bigger and more expensive then the ipod.

Ipod is a big hype because of its great looks and easy to use clickwheel/menu system. That and plus everyone has one and its easy to buy everywhere.

I read somewhere that the clickwheel thing was patented by Creative. No idea why they aren't suing Apple :?

I got a video iPod yesterday, and so far I'm unfortunately pretty dissapointed. Sure it might hold 60 gigs, it might be the most expensive one best buy had in stock, but I couldnt' put any of my videos on it. And to convert them to a format that is supported you have to buy Quicktime.

I wish there was also a way to organize how you want your music on it instead of the default that comes with it. Maybe there's a way to do it that I haven't figured out yet though..

If anyone knows a way to convert the videos without having to buy quicktime pm me

Runescaper (off and on) since late 2001

I read somewhere that the clickwheel thing was patented by Creative. No idea why they aren't suing Apple :?

Actually they are, but its more over the menu system that creative pioneered.

And I agree with trapical, i also have a 5gig Zen Micro and I am very happy with it and should i replace it, it would be with another creative player rather than an ipod because of their FM radios.

Guest GhostRanger

Does Creative even have an MP3 player with a clickwheel?

And I don't think you can patton things like that...that would be like trying to paten a touch sensative mousepad for a laptop. "Everyone who has trackpads must pay me royalties!" :roll:

If anyone knows a way to convert the videos without having to buy quicktime pm me

I'll just post it here since you probably aren't the only one wondering...

[link]

peterstretchfn5.gif

I think your confusing it with ID3 tagging, which was pattened by Creative. This is when a player uses the ID3 tags to orginize the songs by artist/album etc. Creative has the right sue pretty much every player that does this (a lot of them do).

dangermouse01sy3.jpg

Visit my DeviantArt Page at http://vladmoney.deviantart.com

I think your confusing it with ID3 tagging, which was pattened by Creative. This is when a player uses the ID3 tags to orginize the songs by artist/album etc. Creative has the right sue pretty much every player that does this (a lot of them do).

Yeah, my bad. The article I read before was misleading. I read up on it right now and you're right, and the other guy is right too, they are suing Apple lol.

Speaking of Ipods, they should make whoever is in charge of the Ipod marketing section president of this universe. I'm not kidding, the guy is obviously a genius. Suddenly an entire type of product is compared with one particular brand, and it doesn't end there. A while ago, they started providing free engraving (That's the word, right?). So basically, they'll put text on your Ipod for you, for free. Now, the general customer will feel that this is awesome as he gets an extra service, and it generates goodwill. Does it end there? No, because suddenly the amount of used "flawless" Ipods for sale on various auction sites decreases majorly, since the people who would sell them put engravings on them. Hence, even more sales for Apple.

I mean, people are sheep and all that, but I do find the above to be quite impressive. And that's my anecdote of the day :P

I think iPods are pretty decent, but I hate the people that blindly buy them without even glancing at the competition. Personally I'm happy with my 5Gig Zen Micro.

Me too. Creatives are better for the money, and even for the same price, they still have more features and have lower service-needed rates than Apple.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Reasons my I bought an Ipod:

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃââSaw the commercial ; yet to see a Zen Micro commercial

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃââFriend has one, and I liked the feel ; yet again, no Zen Micro to be found

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃââI like the size of the nano ; Havent seen what a Zen Micro looks like

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃââCan get skins/Iskins ; Does Zen Micro have skins?

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ2 GB is enough for me ; I'm not going to buy like 6gb when I listen to around 100 songs, and have room for about 330..

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃââMy iskin is beautiful

I think iPods are pretty decent, but I hate the people that blindly buy them without even glancing at the competition. Personally I'm happy with my 5Gig Zen Micro.

Me too. Creatives are better for the money, and even for the same price, they still have more features and have lower service-needed rates than Apple.

Yes but this is an ipod thread, this is about nice parents that bought them an ipod because that is what these nice people wanted. So take your creative zen shove it up your * and go away.

My friends dad works on planes, like a mechanic. And people leave ipods and everything behind, so if he finds something he gives it to the airline and if anybody says there missing it they give it back. But if noones claims it in 30 days the person who found it gets to keep it. So anyways, i can get a zen micro for free :)

killa870yt.png