Runescape Wedding Results in Under-Age Sex Trial

pal2002

I won't even go into how much this story disgusts me.

I won't go into how much it disgusts me that some individuals appear to want to "blame the parents" or "blame the child" because some pedophile managed to manipulate the circumstances and gain access to a child.

That's sick. Plain and simple. To blame the victims is sick. End of debate.

What I find truly disturbing is that the charges levied against this sicko carry penalties of 4-20 years. What I find even MORE disturbing is that it's more likely he will get the minimum penalty, and will likely be released on parole in 18-24 months.

Had he robbed a bank and taken money, they'd put him away for 10+ years – but since it's only a child, he'll get practically nothing. Just goes to show you what our society truly values.

I am a tough mom. I believe in tough love. But I am also a very protective and very careful mother. When it comes to Internet and strangers, I have only one rule, and it comes down to this: NO PERSONAL INFORMATION. Period.

No real names. No locations. No ages. Nothing. Nada. No way. No how.

I run my own clan chat the same way. No real names. No exchange of personal information of any kind whatsoever. You have no idea who's listening out there.

On topic +1:

While we're on this subject, I'd like to note that, today, I found a trailer for a new upcoming film called "Trust". Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, the film, was made in Michigan ...

nyuseg.png

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is more common in Second Life .... folks for some reason fall in love with some one else's online personality, and they get romantically involved.

This spills over to RL, were the folks think the other is just like their online persona .... sooner or later the relation goes bad.

***My personal opinion is the kid had very few friends and felt alone ... she reached out to some one who had a good online persona, and "fell in love" .. this spilled over to real life, and thus we have this story.

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

I'm disgusted by the people who think this was the 13 year old girls fault, and I think mad4u has got it right. I heard no mention of a dad in the story, so it seems to me she likely had "daddy-issues" to begin with. No dad, her mom's never home, and if she's playing RS, we can hazard a guess she MIGHT not be the popular girl at school. (I could be wrong, but that stereotype didn't come from nowhere :P). This adult reaches out to her, makes her feel special and wanted, and she's reaching an age of sexual curiousity.

Did you guys know that a very large percentage of rapes don't ever get reported? It's because the victim thinks it's they're fault, they they're the ones to blame, and that they should feel sorry for letting it happen. They're ashamed of what happened. Why would this 13 year old girl (whose mom wasn't in that picture very often, we know) turn to her mom in a situation like that? Maybe guys can't relate to this, but if you were 13, and you were raped, your first instinct would NOT be to tell your parents!!!

Blakdragon39.png

That's all I'm arguing. Manipulation or not, she still consented.

And then, she'll be programmed and told that what happened to her was wrong, and she'll probably scarred because of it bing beaten into her head. Its rather sad, even though the situation is wrong.

There is no such thing as consent from someone younger than the age of consent. "Yeah, I'm old enough, let's do this," Sorry honey, the government says that its not your decision to make, and the answer is automatically a resounding "NO."

What happened to her WAS wrong. A 54 year old man should not be having sex with a CHILD. If you're an adult, children (minors under the age of 18) are off limits.

I never said ti wasn't wrong. In fact, I said that at the end.

But then again, I'm not one to follow arbitrary age laws as defining who a person was as I believe in the cognitive standards of someone rather than, again, an arbitrary age. By law standards, sure, consent is non existent. But that doesn't mean one cannot make a decision on heir own based Upon their age. So [bleep] your government. You can argue from law, but I will not argue from law because law is just another way of control. I'm simply arguing from a psychological viewpoint here.

But I did say the situation was wrong in general. So I don't know where you came off as me saying it wasn't wrong.

EDIT:

I'm disgusted by the people who think this was the 13 year old girls fault, and I think mad4u has got it right. I heard no mention of a dad in the story, so it seems to me she likely had "daddy-issues" to begin with. No dad, her mom's never home, and if she's playing RS, we can hazard a guess she MIGHT not be the popular girl at school. (I could be wrong, but that stereotype didn't come from nowhere :P). This adult reaches out to her, makes her feel special and wanted, and she's reaching an age of sexual curiousity.

Did you guys know that a very large percentage of rapes don't ever get reported? It's because the victim thinks it's they're fault, they they're the ones to blame, and that they should feel sorry for letting it happen. They're ashamed of what happened. Why would this 13 year old girl (whose mom wasn't in that picture very often, we know) turn to her mom in a situation like that? Maybe guys can't relate to this, but if you were 13, and you were raped, your first instinct would NOT be to tell your parents!!!

This could also be a likely candidate of what was happening.

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

That's all I'm arguing. Manipulation or not, she still consented.

And then, she'll be programmed and told that what happened to her was wrong, and she'll probably scarred because of it bing beaten into her head. Its rather sad, even though the situation is wrong.

There is no such thing as consent from someone younger than the age of consent. "Yeah, I'm old enough, let's do this," Sorry honey, the government says that its not your decision to make, and the answer is automatically a resounding "NO."

What happened to her WAS wrong. A 54 year old man should not be having sex with a CHILD. If you're an adult, children (minors under the age of 18) are off limits.

I never said ti wasn't wrong. In fact, I said that at the end.

But then again, I'm not one to follow arbitrary age laws as defining who a person was as I believe in the cognitive standards of someone rather than, again, an arbitrary age. By law standards, sure, consent is non existent. But that doesn't mean one cannot make a decision on heir own based Upon their age. So [bleep] your government. You can argue from law, but I will not argue from law because law is just another way of control. I'm simply arguing from a psychological viewpoint here.

But I did say the situation was wrong in general. So I don't know where you came off as me saying it wasn't wrong.

"I am above the law!!!!" :rolleyes:

Perhaps you're not saying that it wasn't wrong, but you are trying to apply circumstances that are aimed at either (1) trolling or (2) legitimately attempting to mitigate the responsibility of the actions of the one ADULT involved in this situation. This man conducted a despicable act against a minor. There is nothing that can mitigate that fact.

Nothing.

I don't know how old you are -- and I don't care. I don't want to discuss your age here.

That said, your response is typical of the "younger person" who thinks that they are mature enough to make certain decisions for themselves, so therefore they should be allowed to make such decisions.

The reality is that most (if not all) people under the "age of consent" are not capable of competent management of themselves, despite the fact that they may believe themselves otherwise capable.

Meanwhile, there is an adult involved here who has committed a heinous crime against a child. He alone is responsible for this crime. He alone committed it. He alone.

Meanwhile, your attempts to purport that your own "maturity" is some form of guideline through which one should determine the degree of responsibility that the minor involved in this situation should share in this incident is ridiculous.

nyuseg.png

@blyaunte: your stereotype of the average child is something that truly is shocking. Let me ask you a question: should a 17yr old be treated the same, even though they're so close to 18. Age is a measure of time, and NOT a measure of maturity. If the 13yr old truly thought that she was so mature, then she should've:

A) asked to be immansipated so she'd have the ability to consent, or

B) refused to press charges when the police heard of this incident.

Anyone who thinks that maturity=age clearly has no grasp of the 'real world'.

div>

Perhaps you're not saying that it wasn't wrong, but you are trying to apply circumstances that are aimed at either (1) trolling or (2) legitimately attempting to mitigate the responsibility of the actions of the one ADULT involved in this situation. This man conducted a despicable act against a minor. There is nothing that can mitigate that fact.

Nothing.

I don't know how old you are -- and I don't care. I don't want to discuss your age here.

That said, your response is typical of the "younger person" who thinks that they are mature enough to make certain decisions for themselves, so therefore they should be allowed to make such decisions.

The reality is that most (if not all) people under the "age of consent" are not capable of competent management of themselves, despite the fact that they may believe themselves otherwise capable.

Meanwhile, there is an adult involved here who has committed a heinous crime against a child. He alone is responsible for this crime. He alone committed it. He alone.

Meanwhile, your attempts to purport that your own "maturity" is some form of guideline through which one should determine the degree of responsibility that the minor involved in this situation should share in this incident is ridiculous.

The consent law is arbitrary. Being 18 means nothing in biology. Nothing. Age of consent laws are arbitrary not only in sex, but everywhere else. Theme parks, for example, can decide when you are an adult to charge you more. Though this is an extremely poor contrast.

You futile attempts at using straw men are also rather amusing. I am 18, going on 19 in about 26sh days. Now, what I simply think is that consent should be defined with the cognition of one's brain. One can be 14 and be more mature and developed than that of a 19 year old, for example. But in our age of consent laws (at least in 'Merica), the said 14 yeah old would still be cognitively devoid than that of a 19 year old because the law said so. And only a couple hundred years ago, those laws were different than todays. Laws evolve and change over time as we investigate and discover new realities, or when we can disprove older laws and replace them.

Every single person who has anything resembling a rational thought should question the law every now and then, in my opinion. Mindlessly following the law is silly and dangerous. Its good to question the reality of the situation sometimes.

This girl may not have had the cognitive abilities to discern what is good or bad in her situation, and we won't know because of the law.

I also cannot agree with the so-called "reality" you stated. Teenagers mature younger and more rapid nowadays. Puberty is occurring younger, and many children are also capable of rational thought during those ages.

I also find it arbitrary that an adult, lets say age 33, can have sex with a 15 year old and he would be the only one charged with any wrongdoing, even if the teen consented. However, if the situation was twisted and lets say the 15 year old were to rob a bank with this man, she can be tried as an adult for being an assistant to this mans crime. Granted, sex is definitely more psychologically relative and is emotionally connected as well, but given the conditions of the bank robbery scenario it can be just as frightening for the child.

No. In reality, age does not show anything but how many days one has lived on this earth and does not necessarily relate to cognitive ability. Surely there are teens that obviously cannot make that decision, but at the same time there must also be quite a few that can.

I was ninja'd :P

@blyaunte: your stereotype of the average child is something that truly is shocking. Let me ask you a question: should a 17yr old be treated the same, even though they're so close to 18. Age is a measure of time, and NOT a measure of maturity. If the 13yr old truly thought that she was so mature, then she should've:

Also, if I were trolling, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't make an attempt to sound intelligent and I also wouldn't make an attempt to care about what I was saying. But hell, I apparently may be a troll simply because I don't agree with the majority.

Nothing.

The consent law is arbitrary. Being 18 means nothing in biology. Nothing. Age of consent laws are arbitrary not only in sex, but everywhere else. Theme parks, for example, can decide when you are an adult to charge you more. Though this is an extremely poor contrast.

You futile attempts at using straw men are also rather amusing. I am 18, going on 19 in about 26sh days. Now, what I simply think is that consent should be defined with the cognition of one's brain. One can be 14 and be more mature and developed than that of a 19 year old, for example. But in our age of consent laws (at least in 'Merica), the said 14 yeah old would still be cognitively devoid than that of a 19 year old because the law said so. And only a couple hundred years ago, those laws were different than todays. Laws evolve and change over time as we investigate and discover new realities, or when we can disprove older laws and replace them.

Every single person who has anything resembling a rational thought should question the law every now and then, in my opinion. Mindlessly following the law is silly and dangerous. Its good to question the reality of the situation sometimes.

This girl may not have had the cognitive abilities to discern what is good or bad in her situation, and we won't know because of the law.

I also cannot agree with the so-called "reality" you stated. Teenagers mature younger and more rapid nowadays. Puberty is occurring younger, and many children are also capable of rational thought during those ages.

I also find it arbitrary that an adult, lets say age 33, can have sex with a 15 year old and he would be the only one charged with any wrongdoing, even if the teen consented. However, if the situation was twisted and lets say the 15 year old were to rob a bank with this man, she can be tried as an adult for being an assistant to this mans crime. Granted, sex is definitely more psychologically relative and is emotionally connected as well, but given the conditions of the bank robbery scenario it can be just as frightening for the child.

No. In reality, age does not show anything but how many days one has lived on this earth and does not necessarily relate to cognitive ability. Surely there are teens that obviously cannot make that decision, but at the same time there must also be quite a few that can.

I was ninja'd :P

Also, if I were trolling, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't make an attempt to sound intelligent and I also wouldn't make an attempt to care about what I was saying. But hell, I apparently may be a troll simply because I don't agree with the majority.

I could be misunding what your saying, but it sure looks like your arguing in favor of Pedophilia.

***Happily poking bears, kicking cubs and petting bobcats since 1967***

eagleglobeanchorke1.gifc975dbbbcb.png eagleglobeanchorke1.gif

violent069oe7.gif Who says smileys are always happy? gunfight32zm4.gifmortarox0.gif

I could be misunding what your saying, but it sure looks like your arguing in favor of Pedophilia.

Eh, I was posting a long response to this, but I got distracted and can't remember what else I was going to type. But in short, no. Pedophilia is the attraction of prepubescent children which I am not asking we allow, simply just a test for pubescent teens to see if their cognitive abilities are on par with what is expected of an adult: to differentiate what is harmful and whats best for them. Immaturity should be contained within protective laws, but those that can think shouldn't be held with these laws.

Basically, again, one should be tested based upon cognitive ability.

Sephiroth is saying (among other things):

What the [bleep] was the girl thinking?

Think about that little bit yourselves, too. I love the bank robber analogy (in accordance to US law): if it was both consented, why does the girl not be punished? The "physiological and emotional pain" are really just caused because everybody else is telling her she did a bad thing/what was done onto her was bad (someone else commented this point earlier, forgot who).

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

If a 13 years old is so gullible the problem lies somewhere deep ...

No. The only problem is that they are a child being manipulated by an adult. If there was a problem or fault on the child, there wouldnt be 11 felony charges slapped on a 54-year-old man.

But the girl did bring it upon herself by giving personal details to a stranger on the internet, consenting to meet up, and taking her pants off. Yes, children can make mistakes. However, that doesn't make the old man any less guilty.

What I don't understand is the sexual attraction between teenage girls and old men.

@crusty: it goes both ways amigo...ever heard of the phrase 'cougar'?

:ohnoes:

There's a difference between your unproven link (rape and dressed provocatively), and the goddamn fact a 13-year-old girl is this genuinely stupid as to apparently be constantly going to this creepy old guy for sex, when there's a nice supply of 13-15-year-old boys available.

Yeah, exactly my point. I know 13 might seem young to a lot of you, but when I was in Middle School I still felt the same exact way about extremely liberal promiscuity: You don't know what you are doing, therefore you probably should not do it, and if you do, sorry but you are now stupid.

It's almost as if some people are arguing she had no control over the situation.

There's a difference between your unproven link (rape and dressed provocatively), and the goddamn fact a 13-year-old girl is this genuinely stupid as to apparently be constantly going to this creepy old guy for sex, when there's a nice supply of 13-15-year-old boys available.

Yeah, exactly my point. I know 13 might seem young to a lot of you, but when I was in Middle School I still felt the same exact way about extremely liberal promiscuity: You don't know what you are doing, therefore you probably should not do it, and if you do, sorry but you are now stupid.

It's almost as if some people are arguing she had no control over the situation.

Welp, I give up. Enjoy having no souls ya'll and blaming the victim

yes.png

Welp, I give up. Enjoy having no souls ya'll and blaming the victim

The old man is more to blame obviously. However, giving personal details over the internet to someone you barely know isn't a very bright idea, is it? What about consenting to meeting up? What about taking your pants off and losing your virginity to someone as old as your grandparents? Are you arguing that these were not bad decisions, because that's all I'm saying here.

By the way, I do enjoy not having a soul by discussing the truths of our world while everyone panics and points the finger of shame at me. I come to TIF because I'm a sadist and I love to watch the logic burn.

Also, you can't rape a [bleep], am I right or am I right?

Straw man. *nonchalant yawn*

The old man is more to blame obviously. However, giving personal details over the internet to someone you barely know isn't a very bright idea, is it? What about consenting to meeting up? What about taking your pants off and losing your virginity to someone as old as your grandparents? Are you arguing that these were not bad decisions, because that's all I'm saying here.

She is a child. She is a child. She is a child. She is not capable of thinking the same way we do, she isn't fully mentally or physically developed. Would you be saying this if she were a 10 year old? Would you?

yes.png

Hell. we have a post from someone who is a girl and was also creeped on by an older guy when she was younger over the internet. She sees how stupid she was, but at the time nothing seemed wrong:

As a former 13-year-old Runescape playing girl, this topic is really interesting to me (and sad). I'm 23 now, and looking back, I have a very different view now than I would have then.

There was a guy when I first started playing (age 13) who was really into me and told me somewhat often that he was in love with me. He wasn't 54, but he was in his late 20s. He wanted to get married in Runescape, but we also talked plenty over MSN, and he suggested we meet up IRL at a couple of points (even though we lived far away). He told me that age didn't matter in love. I wasn't interested in him, but that appealed to my ego: even though I was 13, I was playing RS to escape a bit from the real world (where I wasn't very popular in school) and I considered myself above most of my peers at school. I was more mature, and why SHOULD age matter? As a 13-year-old, being told you're not old enough to consent - that you're not mature enough to make your own decisions for yourself - can feel very insulting. So this guy's attention flattered me immensely: someone in his late 20s, a real adult, had fallen in love with me. People may have been totally romantically disinterested in me in real life at school, but online - where people only saw the real me, saw my personality - it was different. In the end, I got into romantic relationships via RS with other people who were closer to my age (hi merc4hire, cellkiller, and dusqi :D) because I wasn't interested in this man, but if it had been someone I was more romantically attracted to, I don't know what would have happened.

In retrospect, I see this relationship as far more creepy than I did at the time. At 13, random adults I met over RS shouldn't be teaching me about what different sexual terms mean over MSN and then offering to drive down to see me from Canada. (To be fair, it might have been a year or two later that he offered to drive down).

So what about this situation? Though I feel some sympathy for those saying the girl is partially at fault, with the wisdom of 10 years aging, I don't think that's true. I may have thought I was mature at the time and capable of making my own decisions, but I wasn't. I was vulnerable, and I would have been easily manipulated by someone who should have known better.

The 54-year-old is the one responsible, and he committed rape. Though I can imagine having seen the situation differently at one time, I think that's that.

P.s. sure hope the guy i mentioned doesn't still read tip.it :oops:

yes.png

She is a child. She is a child. She is a child. She is not capable of thinking the same way we do, she isn't fully mentally or physically developed. Would you be saying this if she were a 10 year old? Would you?

She is a child as defined by the law. A 13 year old is perfectly capable of deciding between right and wrong.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

She is a child as defined by the law. A 13 year old is perfectly capable of deciding between right and wrong.

Would you be saying this if she were 10? And this is a serious question, please answer

yes.png

Would you be saying this if she were 10? And this is a serious question, please answer

Probably not. Would you be saying what you're saying if she were 16 or 17?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Has she hit puberty? Probably not. I'm at least arguing from a pubescent standpoint. If she hit puberty by that age, she should be cognitively tested, but chances are sure won't have that great of maturity because he/she'll have just started puberty.

At that age, you are usually still a child. Pre-pubescent. Which is a child.

Simply put. If she was 10, probably NO.

@Tacos: 'Tis indeed. I don't really like going there. :/