Runescape Wedding Results in Under-Age Sex Trial

pal2002

"They got married in the game," sheriff's corporal Ray Johnson said. "Maybe he thought that was legitimate in real life. It's not."

Best. Ending. Ever. Made me lol. :P

So Phillips brought her the phone in person in February 2010 and had sex with the girl at an Eastpointe motel, Napoleon said. Phillips also is accused of having sex with the girl in his van and at her home.

Then

"This has been traumatic for her," he said.

Okay, if it happened once I'd understand this, but 3 times?

Unless all 3 times were the same day or whatever, it sounds like she didn't mind.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly see the girl as a victim here. It doesn't sound like she was led into believing that this guy was something that he wasn't. It's not like they chatted, he said he was a 16 year old boy, they got married on RuneScape, planned to meet up IRL and he turned out to be 54 and raped her. It sounds like she was CONSTANTLY sneaking out to have sex with him. She accepted a cell phone from him and was actively texting him. Judging by her actions, she seemed very into the whole thing, which is definitely creepy.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

"They got married in the game," sheriff's corporal Ray Johnson said. "Maybe he thought that was legitimate in real life. It's not."

I like how he had to point out that it's NOT legitimate in real life XD

That part made me laugh/ :rolleyes:

Popoto.~<3

I hardly see the girl as a victim here. It doesn't sound like she was led into believing that this guy was something that he wasn't. It's not like they chatted, he said he was a 16 year old boy, they got married on RuneScape, planned to meet up IRL and he turned out to be 54 and raped her. It sounds like she was CONSTANTLY sneaking out to have sex with him. She accepted a cell phone from him and was actively texting him. Judging by her actions, she seemed very into the whole thing, which is definitely creepy.

Although quite mad to comprehend and I don't fully myself, some people, especially younger people are able to be easily manipulated. There's been a few horror stories of victims falling in love or being made to think they are in love with evil, manipulative predators.

Although she may not have been resisting, she is still a victim, she probably isn't fully aware at the moment, but in time I can see her being deeply traumatised and scarred for life.

It frustrates me that people can be suckered up into doing this though, even without a great deal of knowledge of the internet when I was younger, I was fully aware of potential dangers in chatting with strangers on chat rooms and meeting up with people who might not even exist and can't understand why, even with all the warnings widely available some people still take risks in encountering strangers. I just don't see it ever being worth the risk.

I agree with everything you said here.

Also if the child wasn't mentioning this to her mother then clearly she knew it wasn't right. She didn't mind.

61,358th to 99 range on May 23rd, 2010.

100,927th to 99 def on February 13th, 2011.

pigeons.png

Relics.png

This.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

"It is easy for children to be contacted in nontraditional ways," Kish said. "Internet use has to be monitored."

*sigh*

One idiot messes up and they're trying to make us all suffer. Yes, I think that girl's an idiot, thirteen is old enough to know right from wrong, and banging 54 year-old Magic Card sellers is a big no-no. And considering this happened in 2010, where JaGeX has a flashing red warning sign about this kind of stuff EVERYWHERE in game, that's just sad.

Just as much her fault as it was his in my opinion.

And now there's another excuse for JaGeX to add more "don't get raped online" messages in-game.

Being from the Detroit area, my dad has heard this on the radio on his commute home. First time I ever laughed during one of his lectures (not about the whole sex with a 13 year old thing, but RS dating). "You better not be marrying any little girls or creepy pedophiles on that RuneScape game you play." How could you not laugh? His charlatanry is hilarious with politics and whatnot, but this just takes the cake...

I think it will be interesting to see Jagex's reaction to this whole situation. Maybe they'll actually crackdown on the no dating rule. Although F2P may be nearly empty if they do choose to do so.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I closed this topic for a little bit so I could read the entire thing and see what was up. The first two pages were a good discussion on the matter while the final page was beginning to deteriorate into religion bashing (completely unrelated), spam and flaming. I will now open this topic to give it a second chance at continuing the good half of the discussion but if it deteriorates again either individual users will be sanctioned or the topic will simply be locked.

I'm now going to open this and move it to Off Topic where it belongs, as this isn't about anything in RuneScape, rather it is a real life news story that happens to mention RuneScape.

Cowman_133

Tip.It Administrator

1.png
generic_signature.png

Lol...I didn't mean to either. I merely mentioned the fact that with jagex introducing religion/weddings into their game, faults like these were inevitable. Still kinda sad though...in runescape, people can make friends so easily, not knowing who/what they really are.

div>

I'm now going to open this and move it to Off Topic where it belong

First couple of pages make a lot more sense now.

Oh god, I can't handle the RS jokes.

This story is pretty [bleep]ed up. I never understood RS marriages in the first place.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

If a 13 years old is so gullible the problem lies somewhere deep ...

No. The only problem is that they are a child being manipulated by an adult. If there was a problem or fault on the child, there wouldnt be 11 felony charges slapped on a 54-year-old man.

Regardless of whether or not the child was at fault for any activities such charges still would have been filed as13/54 is rape regardless of consent.

There's been incidents like this before. It's hardly Jagex's fault... It really is the sick pervert's (and definitely not not the girl's - I really don't see how anyone could think she wanted to have her already-confusing emotions manipulated).

So yeah, no crackdown.

The way I read the story, it doesn't seem like the girl was taken advantage of. But it is still a crime nonetheless. People are horrible.

How can it not seem like she wasn't taken advantage to you? It doesn't matter if she wanted sex (which I HIGHLY doubt, she probably doesn't even really know what sex is), she's 13, she isn't fully developed mentally and to have sex with her is pathetic and disgusting and reprehensible. That's ignoring that he obviously WANTED to have sex with her and probably goaded her into it, it's not very hard to manipulate a 13 year old. He drove to her house to give her a cellphone, a drive that mapquest is telling me was TWELVE HOURS LONG. Hell, in all likelihood the girl wasn't even through puberty yet. He sounds like a typical pedo

yes.png