FBI needs help!

Atom Smash40

Alright GDD detectives' date='

In what seems like a throwback to the still-unsolved Zodiac killings that terrorized the San Francisco Bay Area in the 1970s, the FBI has sent out a public appeal for amateur sleuths to help solve a key cryptographic clue in a 1999 murder case.

On June 30, 1999, police officers in St. Louis, Missouri found the body of 41-year-old Ricky McCormick, who'd been murdered and dumped in a field. The only clues investigators recovered from the scene were two encrypted notes stuffed into the victim's pockets.

"Despite extensive work by our Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit (CRRU), as well as help from the American Cryptogram Association, the meanings of those two coded notes remain a mystery to this day, and Ricky McCormick's murderer has yet to face justice," the FBI said in a press release today. CRRU chief Dan Olson added, "We are really good at what we do, but we could use some help with this one ... Maybe someone with a fresh set of eyes might come up with a brilliant new idea."

The FBI has reached out to the public with code breaking brain teasers in the past--but they were games, not actual cases. This is the chance for want-to-be FBI sleuths to break their brains on code that is part of a current investigation. The notes are after the jump.

Channel your favorite CSI character, folks. Here are the notes:

[img']http://mit.zenfs.com/102/2011/03/image_large.jpg[/img]

image_large-1.jpg

The bureau isn't offering any reward for assistance in solving the case at this time, but the FBI is asking people who believe they may have some insight into the notes write to the address below:

FBI Laboratory

Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit

2501 Investigation Parkway

Quantico, VA 22135

Attn: Ricky McCormick Case

Taken from another forum I browse. There are insightful people here, maybe you can help? I noticed that "NCBE" appears a lot, and frequently at the end of a line. And what's 71, 74, 75? Maybe years?

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Saw this on yahoo. My theory is the murderer just wanted to distract the FBI for a decade while he ran away. Probably just decided "hey I'll write random numbers and letters on a piece of paper and they'll think it's a coded message".

Saw this on yahoo. My theory is the murderer just wanted to distract the FBI for a decade while he ran away. Probably just decided "hey I'll write random numbers and letters on a piece of paper and they'll think it's a coded message".

Obviously the perfect plan.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

read only letters according to the square root of Fibonacci's number, then cycle back with a +1 adding punctuation after every consonant following the 8th vowel.

Duh.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

pretty cool, i'm in

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Statistical analysis of letter frequencies and patterns probably indicates that this is an actual coded message and not just random letters. While it is possible to make up such a message, it's well beyond the capabilities of all but a handful of academics and cryptanalysts.

The note has some of the same characteristics of shorthand. Due to the fact that some of the characters do not resemble normal numbers or letters a typed form could remove something important from the meaning. Whether it is a distraction or not is unimportant. You don't know if it is something important until a viable codex is created to determine the issue.

It does look to have similarities with some types of shorthand. If it helps anyone who has an idea awesome. otherwise I'm stuck.

P1.

(MADMKNEARSE-N-S-TA-KNARE) (ALSM?)

TFRNE NPTNSE NPBSER CBRNSE NPRSE INC

PRSE NMRSE DPRE ?LD?LDNCBE(TFXLE TCXL NCBE)

AL-PRPPIT XLYPPIYNCBE MGKSE IN CD RCBR NSE PRSE

INLDRCBRNSE NTSGNENTXSE-CRSLE-CLTRSE WLD NCBE

ALWLD NCBE TSME LRSE RLSE URGLSNE ASNWLD NCBE

(NOPFSE NLSRE NCBE)NTE GDDMNSENCURFRCBRNE

(TENE TFRNE NCBRTSENCBE INC)

(FIRSE PRSE ONDE 71 NCBE)

(CDNSE PRSE ONSDE 74 NCBE)

(PRTSE PRSE ONREDE 75 NCBE)

(TF NRCMSP SOLE MRDE LUSE TO TE WLD N WLD NCBE)

(194 WLD'S NCBE) (TRFXL)

P2.

ALPNTE GLSE - SE ERTE

VLSE MTSE-CTSE-WSE-FRTSE

PNRTRSE ONDRSE WLD NCBE

NWLDXLRCMSP NEWLD S TS MEXL

DULMT 6TUNSE NCBEXL

(??NSA?STENMUNARSE)

KLSE-LRSTE-TR SE-TRSE-MKSE?-MRSE

(SAE6NSE SE NMBSE)

NMNRCBRNSE PTE 2PTE WSRCBR?SE

26MLSE 74SPRKSE 29KENOBOLE 173R?RSE

35 6LE CLGSE U??UTRE DKRSE PSESHLE

651MTCSE HTLSE NCUTCTRS NMRE

99?84.5 2UNE PLSE UCRSE AOLTSE NSRSE NBSE

NSREONSE PUTSE WLD NSBE (3X?RL)

?NMSENRSE ???NTRLE RCBRNSE NTSRCR?NE

LSPNSE NGSPSE MKSERBSE NEBEAUXLR

HMCRE NMRE NLBE 1/2 MUND PLSE

D-W-M.4 MIL XDRLX

Commonality report.

http://pastehtml.com/view/1duvd5x.html

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I'm probably not the first one to notice this, hell, I might be pointing out something obvious everyone had figured out, but for some reason that seems like.

FIRST PERSON DONE 71 "NCBE" (maybe NBCE, not before common era? Kinda far-fetched, I know, wouldn't even make sense either way)

SECOND PERSON DONE 74 "NCBE"

"PRTSE" (maybe FIRST again?) PERSON REDONE 75 "NBCE"

Anyway, I'm just throwing stuff in here, maybe someone else will see the pattern in it, but so far I see nothing, well except for these half anagrams :/ But that part just resembles a kind of list too much for it to be coincidence.

Hey, the fbi says this is important, so we should all believe that it is. Now, if only we knew where osama was hiding...

The CIA are too stubborn to ask for our help.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'm probably not the first one to notice this, hell, I might be pointing out something obvious everyone had figured out, but for some reason that seems like.

FIRST PERSON DONE 71 "NCBE" (maybe NBCE, not before common era? Kinda far-fetched, I know, wouldn't even make sense either way)

SECOND PERSON DONE 74 "NCBE"

"PRTSE" (maybe FIRST again?) PERSON REDONE 75 "NBCE"

Anyway, I'm just throwing stuff in here, maybe someone else will see the pattern in it, but so far I see nothing, well except for these half anagrams :/ But that part just resembles a kind of list too much for it to be coincidence.

It's patterns like this that make me think it's just random scribbles to throw the police off, to be honest. But the commonality report shows that if that's the case this guy went to quite some length to make it look legit.

EDIT: Well looking on wikipedia says that they think the victim actually wrote them, as he had done so prior to his death on multiple occasions.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Well, I have an idea. However, I'm shrot on tiem right now and this would take forever to puzzle out.

However, last year I created a "scroll code" which works something like this:

For the first letter, A=Z, B=A, etc. For the second letter, A=A, B=B, etc. For the third letter A=B, B=c, etc. This continues until the twenty sixth letter, after which you start over at one.

I always figured that such a code would be unbreakable, but.... I'm wondering if this guy could've had the same idea? It would explain the extreme randomness of the letters. Although he coul've started with any alignment before he began rotating....

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Thanks for posting a clear text version. Also, from looking at previous Zodiac letters, this definitely doesn't look like his handwriting.

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

custom rank to the person who translates it. lmao.

FIRSE PRSE ONDE 71 NCBE

CDNSE PRSE ONSDE 74 NCBE

PRTSE PRSE ONREDE 75 NCBE

71 74 75 are all interstates that connect.

roadsd.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

^Not only that, but 74 and 75 merge, and then 75 merges with 71. Also, there's a "John Street" right inside of the tangle of streets where interstates 71 and 75 meet up....

Or maybe these are directions? Follow 71 to 75, then 75 into 74? Then the "194" later on in the message could be an address number....

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

What I noticed:

I think letter sets stand for letters.

X and L are usually together, as is NM and PR.

Also, NBSE and WLD are repeated a couple times.

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

Lets call James Joyce. He could figure it out.

I refuse to believe that this can be cracked by an amateur after decades of FBI worker have already tried it. That being said, I do like the idea of the merging highways/John street address thing.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Lets call James Joyce. He could figure it out.

I refuse to believe that this can be cracked by an amateur after decades of FBI worker have already tried it. That being said, I do like the idea of the merging highways/John street address thing.

It has happened before I believe...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

considering they have advance cracing systems, i think they already have done most what iw done today by hand, with computers in mater of minutes, i managed to from the http://pastehtml.com/view/1duvd5x.html to past together some full sentences with what seems to be words/phrases, still have some red marked areas that doesn't belong to anything.

Realy hard to tell what he writes on those notes, i actually see some possibility to it containing mathematical algebra rules, witch would change some things.

If i knew it was a actual code, i might actualy spend time on break it, but considering theres currently thusends of ancient codes out there, even whole books, that still have not been broken, im not going to wast more time, was fun tho :)

also, i think there might be a non english language involved, considering how common/uncommon some letters are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency a letter changing code, would however make it difficult to determine the original language.

also did consider changing the letters in the text according to most common used in text, to most common used in overall, but if he/she uses 2 letters/or more, to symbolizes one true, then it still would turn up bad.

aka you most likely need a computer program to help you crack this code, the possibility are simply endless. (i can basically make a un beatable code in 1 hour, and god knows how long she/he had time to create this code.)

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile