Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

48÷2(9+3) = ????

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: 48÷2(9+3) = ???? (125 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the answer?

1. 2 (25 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. 4 (4 votes [3.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.20%

3. Voted 288 (81 votes [64.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.80%

4. sec[log(π)√∞^9001]° (15 votes [12.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Nenga
[ Display Name History ]

Nenga

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,187 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
It's clear enough without it if you follow the rules.

You do whatever function is in parentheses first, and then do the problem from left to right with the answer you got in the parentheses.

We don't write 1x^1, it's just understood that whenever you see x as a variable, it's that way.

As such, we write 48/2(9+3) because it should be understood that it's operated like (48/2)(9+3).

xSxqPowerx
[ Display Name History ]

xSxqPowerx

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,043 posts
Still, my general rule is to use excessive brackets when typing out equations.

Either way - typing math sucks :razz:

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit
I love maths. It and science.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Guy

The Guy

• Members
  • 2,238 posts
  • RSN:Guy The Best
I see now how the question is somewhat ambiguous, and it's open to interpretation. Saying that, it is kind of impossible to answer seeing as they don't specify whether they want you to do 48/(2(9+3)) or (48/2)(9+3)... I'd still go with 288 though, seems more logical with BIDMAS.

RIP TET

Posted Image

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films

I see now how the question is somewhat ambiguous, and it's open to interpretation. Saying that, it is kind of impossible to answer seeing as they don't specify whether they want you to do 48/(2(9+3)) or (48/2)(9+3)... I'd still go with 288 though, seems more logical with BIDMAS.

How can math be ambiguous? Its one answer, no matter what. Or else it wouldn't be math.
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

Nenga
[ Display Name History ]

Nenga

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,187 posts

If you were expected to do 48/(2(9+2)) then they'd specify that way.

Why would you give somebody 442+567 and then tell them they're wrong when they don't come up with 2.

The Dark Lord
[ Display Name History ]

The Dark Lord

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,517 posts
  • Clan:S.W.A.G.
Solution

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

blakdragon39
[ Display Name History ]

blakdragon39

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Blakdragon39
  • Clan:MASORS
Aah yeah, I voted 2, but after reading, of course its 288. :mellow: I think if it had been shown like this:

48/2*(9+3)

instead of with the division symbol (which doesn't seem to exist on my keyboard :P) more people would get that answer.
Posted Image

Vulxai
[ Display Name History ]

Vulxai

Mitákuye Oyás’iŋ

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Wise Pond
  • RSN '07:Vulxai

Solution

You can't use the distributive property if you use Pemdas...the first letter of Pemdas is Parenthesis, which would make it

48/2*12...

Same answer, just pointing that out.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

The Dark Lord
[ Display Name History ]

The Dark Lord

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,517 posts
  • Clan:S.W.A.G.
At least I didn't come up with 2.
SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts
48/2(9+3)

Not sure if it was:

48/2 x (9+3)/1

48/2 x 12/1

48/1 x 6

48/2(9+3) could be seen as

48/1 x 1/2 (9+3)

48/1 x 1/2 (12)

48/1 x 1/24

48/24

Poorly written question tbh with a degree of ambiguity on whether the parenthesis are attached to the two or are a whole number.

K4ylan
[ Display Name History ]

K4ylan

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Harpy Priest
  • Clan:Harpies

48/1 x 1/2 (9+3)

48/1 x 1/2 (12)

48/1 x 1/24

48/24

Poorly written question tbh with a degree of ambiguity on whether the parenthesis are attached to the two or are a whole number.

1/2(12) would still be six as the 1/2 is outside the parenthesis, indicating that it would just be 1/2 × 12 = 6. In your equation, it would be multiplying the 2 and 12 together first, which wouldn't be going left to right.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

48/1 x 1/2 (9+3)

48/1 x 1/2 (12)

48/1 x 1/24

48/24

1/2(12) would still be six as the 1/2 is outside the parenthesis, indicating that it would just be 1/2 × 12 = 6. In your equation, it would be multiplying the 2 and 12 together first, which wouldn't be going left to right.

Parenthesis wouldnt matter if they were on the bottom not the outside.

for example:

42 ÷ 2(9+3)

would look like the (9+3) is on the bottom of the fraction, attached to the two instead of outside it as a whole number. Idk written out of paper this wouldnt be a problem because its written as 42/1 ÷ 2/1 x (9+3)/1.

which comes out to the first one

42/2 x (9+3)/1

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
  • RSN:Will Holmes
  • Clan:Clay Gods

How can math be ambiguous? Its one answer, no matter what. Or else it wouldn't be math.

Questions can be ambiguous. Answers and the maths within can't be ambiguous and still be correct, even if the answer is that the question is ambiguous. The mistake here is with the syntax, not the maths itself. We're not destroying the fabric of causality here, we're just saying that the asker should have typed in a goddamn bracket.

~ W ~

Posted Image

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films

Questions can be ambiguous. Answers and the maths within can't be ambiguous and still be correct, even if the answer is that the question is ambiguous. The mistake here is with the syntax, not the maths itself. We're not destroying the fabric of causality here, we're just saying that the asker should have typed in a goddamn bracket.

I still don't see how this question is even remotely ambiguous. There's a reason why PEMDAS/BIDMAS/whatever exists. I don't know how your experience with math went, but I've always been given expressions with the least possible amount of brackets possible.
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

I still don't see how this question is even remotely ambiguous. There's a reason why PEMDAS/BIDMAS/whatever exists. I don't know how your experience with math went, but I've always been given expressions with the least possible amount of brackets possible.

There is a confusion about whether just the 2 is multiplied by the (9+3), or if the whole 48/2 fraction is multiplied by the (9+3). Division and Multiplication occupy the same 'priority', so it's ambiguous even if BIDMAS gets involved. You wouldn't get this problem if it was fully displayed.

The best approach with text equations is 'When in doubt, put brackets in to clarify'. You're not going to get any prizes for efficient text equation writing when it causes this amount of confusion.

~ W ~

Posted Image

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit

There is a confusion about whether just the 2 is multiplied by the (9+3), or if the whole 48/2 fraction is multiplied by the (9+3). Division and Multiplication occupy the same 'priority', so it's ambiguous even if BIDMAS gets involved. You wouldn't get this problem if it was fully displayed.

The best approach with text equations is 'When in doubt, put brackets in to clarify'. You're not going to get any prizes for efficient text equation writing when it causes this amount of confusion.

When they're in the same priority you work it out from left to right.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
Actually, yeah, you're right about the left-to-right thing, I partially retract that statement. You will get a consistent answer (which is of course 288) if you throw it into a good calculator like Wolfram Alpha, but many humans don't approach questions the same way. A question of BIDMAS only seems to pop up when the whoever's asking the question is being intentionally sloppy and a little big annoying.

Blah, I should stop caring about these kinds of things.

~ W ~

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users