Does going mainstream mean you are destined to be hated?

DragnFly

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMAR, YOU'RE GETTING TROLLED, ABORT ABORT

Oh no, what will I do now?

Don't worry just listen to pies favorite artists: Bring Me The Horizon, A Skylit Drive, Fall Out Boy, Taylor Swift, Underoath, Katy Perry

I know I am, rock on dude!

372nd to max total level

No music without singing? Well, there go all of Bach's fugues, jazz, most electronic music spanning from ambient to EDM and including IDM, movie soundtracks, post-rock, and a big chunk of metal and progressive rock...

I don't mind what you listen to; but you pat yourself on the back for listening to deep music and searching for your music when there's nothing complicated about the lyrics, nothing different about the score, nothing underground about the band. Moreover, you put people down because they listen to music you don't like, despite the fact that you clearly know nothing about music history or composition (the fact that you think you could make trance, which is a genre I couldn't see myself listening to, ever, is a great example. Figuring out how a synthesizer works and how to mix a track isn't an innate skill); how can you judge whether music is good or not without this? You can't; you can't name a single reason why this band is good, based on their music and solely on that. That's why you resort to calling everything you don't like [cabbage]: your own, subjective taste has become a benchmark according to which you belittle what you dislike, and hail the bands you like, backed by anonymous music critics whose opinions are likely not much more valid than yours.

It's like reading Lord of the Rings-type fantasy books and saying you have great taste in literature, and every book you don't like (including the classics, which are respected by people far more educated) is [cabbage]. You don't have outstanding taste. You're different from everyone else who just reads the books they're given in class, but you're only doing it to make yourself feel good about yourself, and your taste isn't "better"; it's just not the same thing; rotten apples and rotten oranges, if you will.

I'm not upset you said Sympozion was [cabbage]. I know enough about music to know they're an extremely innovative band.

I just feel bad you spent time typing all this out.

OMAR, YOU'RE GETTING TROLLED, ABORT ABORT

Oh no, what will I do now?

do-a-barrel-roll.jpg

Just letting you kids know this [cabbage] is hilarious. Don't stop.

this.

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

I just find it hilarious that he thinks his tastes are better than everyone elses. I mean, really? Everyone has their own tastes. Do I feel the musik I like is the best in the world? Yes, I do. But at the same time, I realize that other people have their own tastes, so to them, my musik is NOT the best. It's all a matter of what your ears prefer.

Another thing I'd like to point out. For both sides. There are probably songs that you probably would like from either end of this argument. Maybe not something that's been linked, but something out there by those artists may or may not still catch your eye. There is a beauty in simplistic musik just as there is in complex musik.

I liked some of the sound iamsomebody posted, and I liked some that Omar posted. But my own tastes still reign supreme IN MY OWN senses. I don't know if anything I said made any sense. But whatever. lol

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

I envy people who like mainstream music,. I'd like to simply choose almost any radio station and hear something I actually enjoy. But well, nobody chooses their tastes.

And btw, stop spamming please.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

No, iamsombody1, people don't listen to them because they LIKE the lyrics. Half the time lyrics don't even matter when it comes to mainstream music. My theory is that the people who listen to them just want something not-so-serious. The reason they are mainstream is because they appeal to the masses, why? because it's easy. Easy to produce, easy to listen to, easy to dance along, to sing along etc. The lyrics are also easy to memorize and repeat.

Compared to mainstream music, other types of music are "harder" to listen to. They require more understanding, more appreciation. Take prog rock/metal for example, many of the songs are REALLY long, and this just bores some people. The longest song I have on my iPod is probably 15 minutes, and that doesn't even come CLOSE to the length of progressive songs. I find a song over 30 minutes to be hard to listen to, but others find over 10 mins is torture. But none of this means one person is better than another.

You're really off, but it's ok, it's just a phase and we've all been there.

The argument presented here defines well why I have so much top-40 pop music on my iPod. Easy to listen to, fun in the car with friends, and catchy.

As for elitist music attitude/troll things going on here, I don't find any benefit in thinking my music tastes are superior to those of anyone else. As a matter of fact, I feel the same about my food tastes and clothing tastes; the combination of my opinions makes me myself, even if I have a lot of similarities with other people. We're all biologically very similar, and it's only natural that many of us would have similar tastes. We also like to fit in, which is why a lot of people follow mainstream tastes and pop culture.

tl;dr second part: I listen to pop music, eat out at chain restaurants, and wear name brand clothes. That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else IMO.

/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.

VR48f.jpg

[hide=Insert rant here]blahblahblahLIFE[/hide]

img

No, iamsombody1, people don't listen to them because they LIKE the lyrics. Half the time lyrics don't even matter when it comes to mainstream music. My theory is that the people who listen to them just want something not-so-serious. The reason they are mainstream is because they appeal to the masses, why? because it's easy. Easy to produce, easy to listen to, easy to dance along, to sing along etc. The lyrics are also easy to memorize and repeat.

Compared to mainstream music, other types of music are "harder" to listen to. They require more understanding, more appreciation. Take prog rock/metal for example, many of the songs are REALLY long, and this just bores some people. The longest song I have on my iPod is probably 15 minutes, and that doesn't even come CLOSE to the length of progressive songs. I find a song over 30 minutes to be hard to listen to, but others find over 10 mins is torture. But none of this means one person is better than another.

The argument presented here defines well why I have so much top-40 pop music on my iPod. Easy to listen to, fun in the car with friends, and catchy.

As for elitist music attitude/troll things going on here, I don't find any benefit in thinking my music tastes are superior to those of anyone else. As a matter of fact, I feel the same about my food tastes and clothing tastes; the combination of my opinions makes me myself, even if I have a lot of similarities with other people. We're all biologically very similar, and it's only natural that many of us would have similar tastes. We also like to fit in, which is why a lot of people follow mainstream tastes and pop culture.

tl;dr second part: I listen to pop music, eat out at chain restaurants, and wear name brand clothes. That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else IMO.

I understand people are alot lazier today and not everyone has the attention span to listen to an 8 minute song.

I don't have an elitist view, I just have a passion for music. Another thing that bothers me is when people think just because a song is popular it automatically means it must be good, and how some people have the nerve to have Eminem or 2pac in a top 5 rapper list, when they blatantly aren't giving anything else a spin. My brother is like you Fluffy I was making a playlist for him on itunes and he declined Floyd/Zeppelin but put The Fray on his ipod, and that's fine with me, his loss.

I've been less caring about what people listen to now because it's a pointless cause, at the end of the day people are going to listen to what they want.

372nd to max total level

I understand people are alot lazier today and not everyone has the attention span to listen to an 8 minute song.

I don't have an elitist view, I just have a passion for music. Another thing that bothers me is when people think just because a song is popular it automatically means it must be good, and how some people have the nerve to have Eminem or 2pac in a top 5 rapper list, when they blatantly aren't giving anything else a spin. My brother is like you Fluffy I was making a playlist for him on itunes and he declined Floyd/Zeppelin but put The Fray on his ipod, and that's fine with me, his loss.

I've been less caring about what people listen to now because it's a pointless cause, at the end of the day people are going to listen to what they want.

I'll give you laziness, to an extent. It's all in ease of access, and people tend to turn to the many pop music radio stations.

As for short attention span, it may be true, but again, it goes back to ease of access to shorter songs on mainstream stations.

After you claim that your views aren't elitist, you say people have "nerve" for going with the mainstream artists, and then present an anecdote on how your brother rejected your music and it was his loss. Your music was mainstream at one point in time and still has a strong following to this day. Although your tastes aren't current mainstream, they're still far closer to mainstream than things other people listen to, and the longevity of the artists you listen to (the ones you just mentioned in the quoted post) proves them to be mainstream.

If your previous posts in this thread were all ignored and only your most recent reply was considered, you'd have a chance at showing some credibility until the final paragraph, where you destroyed all credibility for yourself by essentially saying your opinion is right and others aren't entitled to their own opinions. Your attitude problem is the only "pointless cause" I see here.

/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.

VR48f.jpg

[hide=Insert rant here]blahblahblahLIFE[/hide]

img

I'll give you laziness, to an extent. It's all in ease of access, and people tend to turn to the many pop music radio stations.

As for short attention span, it may be true, but again, it goes back to ease of access to shorter songs on mainstream stations.

After you claim that your views aren't elitist, you say people have "nerve" for going with the mainstream artists, and then present an anecdote on how your brother rejected your music and it was his loss. Your music was mainstream at one point in time and still has a strong following to this day. Although your tastes aren't current mainstream, they're still far closer to mainstream than things other people listen to, and the longevity of the artists you listen to (the ones you just mentioned in the quoted post) proves them to be mainstream.

If your previous posts in this thread were all ignored and only your most recent reply was considered, you'd have a chance at showing some credibility until the final paragraph, where you destroyed all credibility for yourself by essentially saying your opinion is right and others aren't entitled to their own opinions. Your attitude problem is the only "pointless cause" I see here.

Well I'm sorry I have a greater appreciation of music than most people do apparently? Also, they became popular along time ago before the music industry took a complete 180 turn. Anyone still looking at charts to find the best music of today is sorely misguided. That is an antiquated system of measuring music that is no longer valid. Who honestly still buys cds? Probably only young kids who idolize random celebrities that caught their attention. That is why you see the likes of Katy Perry and Lady Gaga dominating the charts.

The hip crowd that is plugged into the really good underground music scene (where the best stuff is) generally download all of their favorite albums.

Also, I'm not saying music today is bad only majority of the radio/top charts. There is a lot of great music out there today... A LOT of great music. You just have to scratch beneath the surface a bit.

372nd to max total level