Does going mainstream mean you are destined to be hated?

DragnFly

That's [cabbage]: haters may make the thing more famous, but as long as there are only haters making money off it will be hard. There are certainly people that like mainstream music, it's because it's mainstream that it's hated and not vice-versa.

Just think of the logic in your statement: you're basically saying that record companies should try to make something that is hated by as many people as possible to make money. That just doesn't make sense.

Actually, look at Nickleback. Mentioning you like them on the internet is a death sentence, it's hard to overstate how utterly loathed they are If hate for them was any bigger, it would collapse in on itself and create a black hole. But they're popular. Sure, they've got a huge hate-base, but they have a bigger fanbase. They're not catering to us self-righteous internet folk, they're catering to them, and it's pretty much guaranteed that none of those guys will ever have to have a real job.

And with Rebecca Black, let's be honest, you probably don't know anyone that hasn't heard of her. She's a celebrity, and she's probably going to be able to reap whatever rewards a celebrity of her status can.

Who's Rebecca Black, I've never heard of her...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think of the logic in your statement: you're basically saying that record companies should try to make something that is hated by as many people as possible to make money. That just doesn't make sense.

You'd think the more money you have, the more beer you consume, yeah? The answer is no. The amount of beer you consume steadily increases until you reach a 22k$/year income, and then it drops. Why? First of all, because you're most likely older and less likely to drink tons of beer in a short amount of time; second, because you're drinking more wine.

In other words, just because something is twisting logic into a pretzel, doesn't mean it's untrue; you're just missing a piece of the puzzle. That piece is called Ark Music Factory.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

It happens because deep down inside...We're all hipsters O_O!

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

I hate mainstream music because most of the songs are just terrible and there's alot better talent that aren't getting the credit they deserve and like you said once a band goes mainstream alot of the times they change to a more poppy sound to attract the braindead zombies.

372nd to max total level

A lot of mainstream music is fake, and more of a product than a piece of art. That doesn't mean it's bad; it still does what it's supposed to do. If that's what you listen to, you have very bland taste in my opinion, but you could do much worse.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

A lot of mainstream music is fake, and more of a product than a piece of art. That doesn't mean it's bad; it still does what it's supposed to do. If that's what you listen to, you have very bland taste in my opinion, but you could do much worse.

So what if one of your favorite artists becomes mainstream? Does somebody who listens to them after they became mainstream still have a bland taste in music?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

So what if one of your favorite artists becomes mainstream? Does somebody who listens to them after they became mainstream still have a bland taste in music?

I didn't say mainstream music was bland. A lot of it is. It's more a matter of which of their release they listen to, whether the artist maintained his "integrity" before becoming mainstream, etc.

So in order for someone to stop being 'braindead' they must stop listening to pop music?

Sorry, the more I read your post the more I'm comprehending the meaning of 'judgemental'.

No, I just think that these people that listen to the lady gagas and keshas of music should really expand there musical tastes and stop liking something just because it's popular.

372nd to max total level

So in order for someone to stop being 'braindead' they must stop listening to pop music?

Sorry, the more I read your post the more I'm comprehending the meaning of 'judgemental'.

No, I just think that these people that listen to the lady gagas and keshas of music should really expand there musical tastes and stop liking something just because it's popular.

But that implies that the only quality that music has is it's popularity. There's a reason it became popular.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

It happens because deep down inside...We're all hipsters O_O!

This is perhaps the most horrible thing I've read on these boards, and I've sat through three religion threads. The fact that I'm listening to an obscure band only makes it worse. :ohnoes:

Way to edit, Mask. :3

And everything is always destined to be hated. But yeah, the more widespread/mainstream something becomes, the more scrutiny it comes under, the more people hate it. And I would say a good deal of those people are just hating on it for the sake of hating on it.

Has there been a 'Haters Gonna Hate' picture/gif in this thread yet? It could benefit greatly from the application of one. Hop to it, whoever the guy is that has lots of reaction images/random pictures.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

But that implies that the only quality that music has is it's popularity. There's a reason it became popular.

Yes there is a reason it became popular, because the radio stations know exactly what the teenagers will latch onto. kesha/brokencyde/gaga/many more are just examples of how you don't really need talent to become popular. and I'm not saying all mainstream is bad, cee lo green/adele I admit are good and got popular but majority of it is garbage to me and alot of other people.

372nd to max total level

Way to edit, Mask. :3

And everything is always destined to be hated. But yeah, the more widespread/mainstream something becomes, the more scrutiny it comes under, the more people hate it. And I would say a good deal of those people are just hating on it for the sake of hating on it.

Has there been a 'Haters Gonna Hate' picture/gif in this thread yet? It could benefit greatly from the application of one. Hop to it, whoever the guy is that has lots of reaction images/random pictures.

I aim to please :mrgreen:

Wasn't it Wongtong that had that great 'Haters gonna hate' image in her sig?

haters-gonna-hate.gif

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

^ You have done me and your whole family proud.

EDIT - Wow... does that sentence make any sense whatsoever? Done me proud? Is that even a thing that can be said? English? Words? Question marks?

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Ease of access. Sorry I enjoy pop music. I call it stupid repeatedly, but it entertains me, no matter how stupid the word are or how low quality/unoriginal the beats are. I used to hate a lot of it, but I'll admit, it's a lot easier to access pop music and makes me relatable to people. Plus, my music tastes are just jumbled. I never start a conversation by stating my favorite band/singer. If I'm in the car with my friends, I'm going to listen to obnoxious pop songs and scream "BLACK AND YELLOW" because it's high energy and catchy. If I'm alone, I listen to half pop music (I love Ke$ha, leave me alone) and half Sick Puppies/30 Seconds to Mars/10 Years/Breaking Benjamin.

On hating, I tend not to use the word hate, but I HATE "Party in the USA". I used to have zero tolerance for country music, but I got over it and now it doesn't bother me. If a person is in an environment where country is the norm, they may hate rap, pop lovers hate metal, and metal lovers hate everything besides metal. It's just easy to categorize things into love and hate.

/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.

VR48f.jpg

[hide=Insert rant here]blahblahblahLIFE[/hide]

img

I don't really understand how you can hate music, simply because it's popular.

Generally, I don't enjoy pop music, well, ever. But it's too shallow and meaningless to inspire any feeling even remotely as strong as hate.

I think "hate" is just the modern thing of people describing in affirmatives:

* I don't enjoy pop music, therefore I hate it.

* It wasn't meant to happen, therefore it was random.

* It wasn't boring, therefore it was epic.

I kind of laugh on the inside at people who take Ke$ha's party gurl image seriously. She's come out about a dozen times and said it would be ridiculous to think she honestly lived the life she portrays in her songs and videos, but people I know in real life still get on her for being a skank... Actually I think her music's not bad. I mean I'm not gonna buy the album but I'll listen to it if someone else does.

I don't really understand how you can hate music, simply because it's popular.

Generally, I don't enjoy pop music, well, ever. But it's too shallow and meaningless to inspire any feeling even remotely as strong as hate.

I don't hate it because it's popular I hate it for the same reasons you listed.

I think "hate" is just the modern thing of people describing in affirmatives:

* I don't enjoy pop music, therefore I hate it.

* It wasn't meant to happen, therefore it was random.

* It wasn't boring, therefore it was epic.

I kind of laugh on the inside at people who take Ke$ha's party gurl image seriously. She's come out about a dozen times and said it would be ridiculous to think she honestly lived the life she portrays in her songs and videos, but people I know in real life still get on her for being a skank... Actually I think her music's not bad. I mean I'm not gonna buy the album but I'll listen to it if someone else does.

The thing you have to remember though is alot of Keshas fanbase are young girls and the music and videos whether you want to believe it or not encourages young people that living a scandalous life is okay. I think she is one of the worst artists out right now and I don't see how you can honestly like her music at all she sounds like a robot with all that auto tune, she cannot sing at ALL. I mean if someone said Rihanna can sing I would disagree with you but at least I can see where you get that idea from if your the kind of person that was raised on american idol and somehow think that's what singing is but if you actually think for a split second that kesha can actually sing or has any talent whatsoever you are out of your mind. Majority of the people that like her are teen girls who think there cool because they listen to a song with a little language and subject matter that's a little risky and it's absolutely disgusting.

372nd to max total level

People who complain about auto-tune should use it themselves and become famous!

Wait.

That won't work...but why?

Oh yeah; mainstream artists aren't famous for their talents, but their image the record companies think they have. If a rich man offers you to play the violin (you suck terribly at it) for millions of dollars, who wouldn't accept?

Blame the record companies. Blame idiotic tweens and teens. But you can't blame a person to hop on millions of dollars...in fact, all of us would do the same thing.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

People who complain about auto-tune should use it themselves and become famous!

Wait.

That won't work...but why?

Oh yeah; mainstream artists aren't famous for their talents, but their image the record companies think they have. If a rich man offers you to play the violin (you suck terribly at it) for millions of dollars, who wouldn't accept?

Blame the record companies. Blame idiotic tweens and teens. But you can't blame a person to hop on millions of dollars...in fact, all of us would do the same thing.

Good point.

Although I read your entire post in T-Pain's auto-tuned voice.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti